OEM vs K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
^ I still have a K&N in my TSX for many of the reasons you stated. I don't mind doing the work and cleaning it now and again. I get a good laugh at what the dealership wants to charge me to replace one...
I know what you mean lol dealerships are always good for a laugh when it comes to that
Old 06-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
its like people forget the 5 W's of writing.
Who, what, when, where, and sometimes Why.

seriously tho, his big story book could have been condensed into 2 sweet paragraphs and would have gotten the point across much sooner, but I digress.
YUP!
It's like land the plane already dood!!! Hahahahahahahaha
Old 06-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
We get great feedback for many of the intakes we sell. For instance we've heard a lot of positive feedback on the Takeda for the 4G TL. Our customers like it for the sound, low end response, etc. We're working with a tuner who said they actually saw better gains than with the Ice Box.

My point is that aftermarket systems typically have more to offer than most people realize. I'm not sure about the K&N drop in, but I'd be interested in seeing a review on it.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I installed a K&N drop in filter about a week ago. For reference, the following is the list of modifications and subjective feel based on the infamous and always reliable butt dyno.

-98 Honda civic LX non-vtech (manual)
-cold air intake
-ported throttle body
-port matched ex manifold
-blueprinted injectors
-catback.

Verdict=platform sucked, always left me wanting more.
How it met its end=Sold

-97 Honda civic EX sohc vtech (manual)
-short ram intake
-ported throttle body
-header
-catback
-jet performance chip
-Eibach pro springs

Verdict= fun to drive and I was happy with overall performance.
How it mets its end= Stolen and stripped

-98 Honda prelude dohc vtech non-shawd (auto)
-K&N drop in filter

Verdict=fun and quick.
How it mets its end=traded in

-08 Acura TL 3.2
-full A-spec package
-K&N drop in filter
-tanabe touring exhaust

Verdict= very fun and quick
How it met its end=totaled (not my fault)

15 Acura TLX SHAWD Tech
-K&N drop in filter

Now in the prelude and TL honestly I didn't really "feel" much from the drop in filter but at least it was a filter that I didn't have to change.

The airbox was very easy to open with just two clips to undo. My filter Had about 3000 miles on it.

I dropped in the K&N and before I clipped it again I noticed the mass air flow sensor right in front of the center of the throttle bottle. I was used to MAP sensors so maybe, I thought this may work better since it can detect increased airflow better and adjust accordingly. I reattached the clips and unhooked the negative terminal on the battery for 30 seconds then reconnected. I got in and drove around in sport + mode. It sounded normal until I hit vtech (YO) then it was loud and throaty and sounded like it was vibrating. I was unsure about this new development so I stopped, opened the hood and inspected the airbox. The top was not hooked in near the throttle body so I locked it in place and took off again. The sound was barely louder then stock. Phew no annoying sounds.

The car felt like it could breath easier. I felt like I didn't have to depress the gas pedal as much to get the same effect. Now, wringing out the engine full blast or with the paddle shifters did I notice much? Hard to say at that moment. During the day trials the subjective feeling was, "sure this is about what I expected" until I did a couple night trials or during the day when it was cooler and not as hot. Different story. There was a definite subjective difference. The butt dyno said oh yes I likey (no gay reference intended.) It was probably one of the most noticeable changes of all my power parts to all my cars. And it was a $50 dollar filter. I attribute it mostly from the cooler charge of air and the mass air flow sensor being able to adjust accordingly. So do I think it was worth the money. You bet. I usually down play things and do not exaggerate so I am trying to as honest as possible. I live at 4000ft so I would assume sea level would probably be more noticeable. I do not like loud or obnoxious things anymore. This is not noticeable so if sound is your thing you will be disappointed otherwise if you are considering remaining stock just at least get this.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^ Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any observations about MPG? Better? Worse?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Louder
^ Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any observations about MPG? Better? Worse?
I only fill up once every two weeks so I will keep you posted.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
air filters netting more power is true but you won't net much. It all depends on how much the factory system flows and if it is enough or not at partial and full throttle.

The takeda def. is much less restrictive but I fear that the short ram may draw in really hot air. That's why I like the AEM V2 design.

K&N are fine as long as you don't over-oil the filter. The recharge kit is meant for 4-5 filters!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Racer

Well, I have been through 1 tankful of gas since last posting. I have good and bad news. The bad news is the way I drive (like Jeremy clarkson on the very last episode of season 22 of top gear said, "more speeeeeeeeeeeeed!") I was around 18.5MPG. One might ask where the good news is in that? Well I drive sport + 95% of the time and I usually get 19.5-20. So a decrease in MPG is more evidence of drawing in more air thereby increasing the need for more fuel. I literally drive 0-10 miles in city/ freeway driving in all my trips. After I filled up I drove in regular sport mode and drove conservatively and the MPG wanted to stay above 30MPG but that was with a day of driving around 100 miles mostly freeway with some city. The best I ever got was Econ mode 37MPG (stock filter). So I surmise that if you drive like me your gas mileage will go down and if you drive conservatively then you would probably get a little better because of less restriction on the engine sucking the air. Over all my verdict is: it is still worth it for $50. Less pedal travel=more of a effect or in other words throttle response.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used K&N filters for several years and automatically put one in my 2015 TLX once it became available. All I can say is that I'm getting 35-36 MPG on the highway with the cruise control set at 70 MPH, which is higher than the EPA estimate.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
I bought a K&N drop in filter for my '04 Accord Coupe V6 spd about two months after I bought it and actually did a OEM filter vs K&N filter dyno. While I can't recall the exact numbers I do remember there was an almost 10whp increase......at 200 rpms before redline.....lol. It sounded a touch more aggressive but that's about it. Ahhhh, if only I had a fraction of the money back from my younger days modifying cars and spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to eek out a few hp at some high rpm.....
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Hey everyone, just put the K&N in my v6 this weekend, I reset the ECU and this car drives so much better. I have reset the ECU with stock filter and it drove it, harsh shifting delays and pickup lags its been like this since I got the car. with the stock K&N pickup off the line is better, shifting is much stronger and on the highway there is a huge difference passing people and accelerating. not much effort needed from the pedal and long delays anymore. didn't need to use the paddle shifters either for a quick response. I wonder if a real cold air intake down to the bumper will make a bigger difference. the stock one still have all the chambers air need to pass through.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I've installed the K&N filter several months back and can feel that the car is definitely breathing better. I don't know how many HP it'll add, but the throttle response is quicker. For kicks, I've added the original air filter back on to see if there's any difference, and yes, there's a difference and not a placebo effect. Money well spent.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried a K-H air filter in my 2016 V6 Tech and it certainly had an effect on throttle response (a good one). However, I checked with my Acura tech and was told it was a bad idea and they don't recommend it. I'd rather keep my warranty intact.
The following users liked this post:
AcuraPrincess (04-02-2020)