My '16 SH-AWD Wishlist

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My '16 SH-AWD Wishlist

Hello everyone,

I'm about 6 months out from pulling the trigger a bunch of bolt-ons for my '16 V6 SH-AWD. I'm new to all of this, and while there's a lot of posts from folks with the V6 FWD, I don't see a much from SH-AWD owners. I thought I'd run my list by a bunch of people who know a lot more about this than I do. Here it is:

- UR Lightweight Pulley
- AEM CAI
- RV6 HFPCs /Downpipe Kit for 15+ TLX (3.5L)
- XLR8 AWD J-Pipe
- XLR8 Exhaust

I see quite a few people going with the Ciruitwerks exhaust, but from what I can tell on Youtube, the Circuitwerks seems to have a bit of a rasp when you really open it up, and might be louder overall, but it's hard to tell for sure. The XLR8 sound seems to be a little bit more tamed. My TLX is my daily driver, so while I want some growl, I don't want to wake the neighbors. Can anyone comment on the comparison of the two?

Also, I'm a little confused on the use case for HFPCs vs PCD's. Can I use the HFPC's in this setup? Is it recommended?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
pre-cat deletes...High flow cats.
one is a straight pipe. the other is a high flowing cat. so you have to decide which one is the better one for you. one doesnt clean the exhaust fumes and will let your nose know...and one cleans the exhaust fumes less than OEM

and there is no difference other than clearance issues for SHAWD vs FWD
Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
If you're looking to keep the setup a little quieter, and you're trying to avoid rasp, then the HFPCs are definitely the way to go! Our v2 Jpipe will delete the 3rd cat, so if you did that and deleted your 2 pre-cats as well, there would be no cats left on the car; and that's when we've found the rasp-iness becomes too much for most.

Our exhaust is slightly more exotic sounding then the Circuit Works system in my opinion. It remains pretty tame when you're just cruising, but when you open it up it definitely lets you know it's there! I'm not sure if you've seen our video yet, but you can find it here:

Let me know if you have any questions about our products! You can send me a PM or an email to performance@excelerateperformance.com if you wanted a quote!
Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
The mod list is all good, but shiiiet, to get the most of all of that, you need a tune. Nothing bad will happen if you don't tune, save for not getting the most power out of the mods.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
The mod list is all good, but shiiiet, to get the most of all of that, you need a tune. Nothing bad will happen if you don't tune, save for not getting the most power out of the mods.
I would have thought the same thing, but at least in the case of one TLX owner, the tune didn't make that big of a difference:

He did pretty much the same mods, and only got 15whp more after the tune. Not bad, but at $650, you're getting a pretty expensive 5% boost. If you're looking to squeeze every last bit of HP, then it's probably warranted to do the tune. I'm going to do the exhaust related mods, and re-evaluate from there. I might hold off on the intake and the pulley, at least until I get more towards the end of my warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (01-23-2018)