Carbon fiber/light weight drive shaft?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Carbon fiber/light weight drive shaft?

I did some poking around on the forum to see if anyone made a CF drive shaft for the SH-AWD drivetrain. I saw someone had a custom one made for 1st gen RDX. Also read some of the older gen RL came with oem CF shafts.

Anyone know if there's one in the works for the SH-AWD TLX?
Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I know the RL had a CF driveshaft, but the AWD systems are much different. I think the TLX is a lighter, more compact, and less technical.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
I did some poking around on the forum to see if anyone made a CF drive shaft for the SH-AWD drivetrain. I saw someone had a custom one made for 1st gen RDX. Also read some of the older gen RL came with oem CF shafts.

Anyone know if there's one in the works for the SH-AWD TLX?
Haven't even heard of it being mentioned by anyone yet but the focus with the RL and the CF driveshaft was weight reduction from the factory since it was so heavy. RL also had aluminum body panels such as the hood and trunk.

You could probably find a shop to make a custom one for the SH-AWD TL for a pretty penny!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Haven't even heard of it being mentioned by anyone yet but the focus with the RL and the CF driveshaft was weight reduction from the factory since it was so heavy. RL also had aluminum body panels such as the hood and trunk.

You could probably find a shop to make a custom one for the SH-AWD TL for a pretty penny!

I'm unfamiliar with the driveshaft in the TLX. Any idea how much weight savings/performance gain it would be to get a custom job?