Anyone going to Tune/Boost their TLX V6?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone going to Tune/Boost their TLX V6?

Im just curious if anyone has tried it, or is thinking about it lol. I know I saw j pipes and precat deletes from rv6, but im curious on how much power we can really get out of this car. I am actually pretty happy with the power, but hey I like wondering..
Old 04-16-2016, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I don't plan on it, but I'm sure somebody does, probably has already.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
I wanted to tune it with Ktuner but after all the tranny problems and fighting with the dealer, I'm not going to feed into this car anymore.

pre cat deletes and jpipe should give you a good boost.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Instructor

even without a tune? Im scared of how the car would sound after that...when I put a downpipe on my tsx it sounded awful.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sinistah89
Im just curious if anyone has tried it, or is thinking about it lol. I know I saw j pipes and precat deletes from rv6, but im curious on how much power we can really get out of this car. I am actually pretty happy with the power, but hey I like wondering..
Yes I have done a hondata flash pro tune ! On 93 pump gas making 300 whp and 267 ft Lb and only mod I have is a drop in K&N filter and resonator delete
Old 05-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Really? So im guessing you just hit up Vit and he was able to do that? thats like a 35 hp gain
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Really? So im guessing you just hit up Vit and he was able to do that? thats like a 35 hp gain
Vit ? Who's that?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by xjdmchino
Vit ? Who's that?
lol the e-tuner who tunes hondata's flashpro.

300hp claim just lost a little credibility
The following users liked this post:
fiatlux (10-29-2019)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Instructor

lol I just emailed VitViper and he says it hasnt been done yet, so idk if you were just joking or what
justnspace (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

lol I just emailed VitViper and he says it hasnt been done yet, so idk if you were just joking or what
It's not an e-tuner. My local tuner bought a 2015 accord v6 hondata flashpro and was tuned on a dyno.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes I have done a hondata flash pro tune ! On 93 pump gas making 300 whp and 267 ft Lb and only mod I have is a drop in K&N filter and resonator delete
Those are some nice numbers. Do you have a Dyno Sheet?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by **WhItE-aNgEl**
Those are some nice numbers. Do you have a Dyno Sheet?
Nah I don't have any Dyno sheets. You guys can go to local tuner and ask for yourself lol. It's $695 for the flash tuner and south flo tuner cost with Dyno time cost like $200. It all depends on your local tuner
Old 05-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Maybe I am just ignorant but I thought we were talking about a TLX V6? I know Hondata hasn't done anything for that yet because I asked them. Also I wouldn't think an Accord ECU would be compatibly to running the TLX. 2013+ Honda Accord motor is J35Y1 10.5:1 compression, Vtec on intake valves only and VCM on rear bank and multiport fuel injection. J35y6 is 2015+ TLX is 11.5:1 compression, Vtec on intake and exhaust valves and direct injection. (Wikipedia). Also the programming for the transmission. It all this possible by using a donor ECU from a Honda Accord even with flashpro???
**WhItE-aNgEl** (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ultrapogi
Maybe I am just ignorant but I thought we were talking about a TLX V6? I know Hondata hasn't done anything for that yet because I asked them. Also I wouldn't think an Accord ECU would be compatibly to running the TLX. 2013+ Honda Accord motor is J35Y1 10.5:1 compression, Vtec on intake valves only and VCM on rear bank and multiport fuel injection. J35y6 is 2015+ TLX is 11.5:1 compression, Vtec on intake and exhaust valves and direct injection. (Wikipedia). Also the programming for the transmission. It all this possible by using a donor ECU from a Honda Accord even with flashpro???
I'm not familiar. I just asked my local tuner and that's the info that I was given. He made it possible
AcuraPrincess (04-02-2020)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM

because everything I read on the internet is true..

you're losing credibility bro, nothing you said convinced me that you have it tuned. and I know that you dont have to prove anything, but since you came out publicly, the public is doubting you.

come with some proof, or dont bother saying you have it tuned!
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
**WhItE-aNgEl** (05-10-2016), fiatlux (10-29-2019), Gen Sanchez (10-02-2020)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
because everything I read on the internet is true..

you're losing credibility bro, nothing you said convinced me that you have it tuned. and I know that you dont have to prove anything, but since you came out publicly, the public is doubting you.

come with some proof, or dont bother saying you have it tuned!
Okay Sorry lol
Old 05-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Okay Sorry lol
no, no worries.

IDC either way, its just a little misleading that you dont know what processes went on, you just paid some one to do it, which they may or may not have taken advantage of you.
**WhItE-aNgEl** (05-10-2016)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I wish we could just get some program from Honda/Acura to adjust our ECU settings instead of spending hundreds of $$$ to buy some 3rd party "tuner"? Perhaps we can make an Android phone app that connects to a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter? Would be nice if it cost like $20, instead of $600!?!

I want to remap my throttle in "Sport" mode to remove the lag and perhaps change some other settings, not sure yet. Seems silly to spend $300 on a "Sprint Booster" when all that should be needed is literally changing a few bytes of data on the ECU's flash ROM? I don't understand why something like "Ktuner" costs $600? (And, is it not even available yet for our TLX?)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Christopher.
I wish we could just get some program from Honda/Acura to adjust our ECU settings instead of spending hundreds of $$$ to buy some 3rd party "tuner"? Perhaps we can make an Android phone app that connects to a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter? Would be nice if it cost like $20, instead of $600!?!

I want to remap my throttle in "Sport" mode to remove the lag and perhaps change some other settings, not sure yet. Seems silly to spend $300 on a "Sprint Booster" when all that should be needed is literally changing a few bytes of data on the ECU's flash ROM? I don't understand why something like "Ktuner" costs $600? (And, is it not even available yet for our TLX?)
Because! the ECU's are LOCKED down for manufactures ONLY.
ktuner and Hondata spend a lot of time and money to crack the ECU's in order for you to tune it, in a small tiny package WITH SOFTWARE

you are free to do it yourself, but why fiddle with OBDII + ECU + whatever electronics are needed? plus, you'll need to come up with some type of software.

if you dont have $600 in discretionary money, maybe modding a car isnt for you
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
AcuraPrincess (04-02-2020), Gen Sanchez (10-02-2020), HeartTLs (05-25-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Pro

$600 here, $500 there, $1,200 for a nice exhaust, etc, etc, etc? It adds up - I want to do a little work myself, use some inexpensive parts, and gain a few (15?) HP / Lbs of Torque - why everybody got to always jump on that idea and say "dude, you got to spend thousands or don't bother..." etc?

Let's say I have $600 to spend, I spend that all on just the tune then what would be the point? An Air Intake is not a high pressure thing - you could make one of sheet metal, rivets, and some fiberglass filled silicone rubber, if you're clever and willing to do a little work. Maybe buying a second hand mig welder would be better use of money than spending $600 on a tune? Then you could do some of your own fabbing.

Most of this stuff - nitrous kits, CAIs, etc., seem really over priced (expensive for what they are) - I guess because either the market isn't that large, or the customer base is just ignorant/not handy enough to put together some inexpenisve pipe and make their own w/a $25 filter off eBay? Makes absolutely no sense that a good CAI would cost over $200?!? Why?

I've been reading about DIY nitrous - same thing with Nitrous kits, most of them seem waaaay over priced too. Of course it's scary and if you screw it up you could blow your engine, or possibly worse - however, that doesn't mean that you absolutely have to use expensive parts to do it right. I popped into Jegs to have a look today, a bunch of parts like small simple stamped pieces of aluminum were priced at $30 for one simple part, or $35 for just a tank bracket that looked no better than one that would come "free" with a $25 fire extinguisher, etc. I've got a full garage of tools, drill press, miter saw, grinders - I can pick through an assortment of metal and wood pieces in my scrap pile that I picked up for free, I can bend/shape rivet galvanized steel sheet metal for a few bucks a square foot etc... My dad gave me some electric welding setup from when he upgraded his. I could rent time at a "tech" space with CNC machines, etc. etc.

I just got to find somebody in my area that has this tuning stuff that wouldn't mind letting me use it for a few minutes, for a few bucks...

Seems like most everybody in the business of selling CAIs is also in the business of deceptive marketing, preying on ignorant consumers that will believe whatever dyno chart you concoct up to show them? I keep looking for some honest tests showing some actual gains from simple bolt-ons - not sure if I've found some evidence that I can actually get decent gains on the V6 TLX or not?

Edit: I got a full stainless steel "cat back" exhaust for a Camry for $125 shipped (new). Edit 2, wait, no, that was from the ENGINE back, INCLUDING the cat. So one for my TLX needs to be a little fancier yes, but how much really? I've tried to read everything I can, but I still don't have a clear idea of what I can honestly gain, and where to start...

Last edited by Christopher.; 01-05-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Pro

Yeah, I understand that a couple guys running a small shop and making custom exhausts by hand here in the USA are gonna have to charge way more than Chinese factory produced parts, and, some people can afford to upgrade exhaust, intake, pistons, camshaft, cranks, valves, injectors, turbo, the works, all with premium high $ parts - but, that's not a valid reason that a person without thousands of dollars left over after buying their car, should be completely left out? If I'm poor, but clever, willing to "think outside the box", and make my own parts then why can't I join in the fun too?
Old 03-15-2018, 05:03 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I understand that a couple guys running a small shop and making custom exhausts by hand here in the USA are gonna have to charge way more than Chinese factory produced parts, and, some people can afford to upgrade exhaust, intake, pistons, camshaft, cranks, valves, injectors, turbo, the works, all with premium high $ parts - but, that's not a valid reason that a person without thousands of dollars left over after buying their car, should be completely left out? If I'm poor, but clever, willing to "think outside the box", and make my own parts then why can't I join in the fun too?
get a welder, learn to weld. you could make your own exhaust components and also fab up a turbo system fairly cheap. if you're not willing to do that, quit complaining.
Christopher. (04-14-2019)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to learn how to weld but for now I will pay for the parts when I can afford them.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
no, no worries.

IDC either way, its just a little misleading that you dont know what processes went on, you just paid some one to do it, which they may or may not have taken advantage of you.
Agreed. I live in California and contacted Hondata directly about my 2015 TLX. They responded saying they dont have any products that support the TLX as of right now.
AcuraPrincess (04-02-2020)
Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Bro really!

$600 here, $500 there, $1,200 for a nice exhaust, etc, etc, etc? It adds up - I want to do a little work myself, use some inexpensive parts, and gain a few (15?) HP / Lbs of Torque - why everybody got to always jump on that idea and say "dude, you got to spend thousands or don't bother..." etc?

Let's say I have $600 to spend, I spend that all on just the tune then what would be the point? An Air Intake is not a high pressure thing - you could make one of sheet metal, rivets, and some fiberglass filled silicone rubber, if you're clever and willing to do a little work. Maybe buying a second hand mig welder would be better use of money than spending $600 on a tune? Then you could do some of your own fabbing.

Most of this stuff - nitrous kits, CAIs, etc., seem really over priced (expensive for what they are) - I guess because either the market isn't that large, or the customer base is just ignorant/not handy enough to put together some inexpenisve pipe and make their own w/a $25 filter off eBay? Makes absolutely no sense that a good CAI would cost over $200?!? Why?

I've been reading about DIY nitrous - same thing with Nitrous kits, most of them seem waaaay over priced too. Of course it's scary and if you screw it up you could blow your engine, or possibly worse - however, that doesn't mean that you absolutely have to use expensive parts to do it right. I popped into Jegs to have a look today, a bunch of parts like small simple stamped pieces of aluminum were priced at $30 for one simple part, or $35 for just a tank bracket that looked no better than one that would come "free" with a $25 fire extinguisher, etc. I've got a full garage of tools, drill press, miter saw, grinders - I can pick through an assortment of metal and wood pieces in my scrap pile that I picked up for free, I can bend/shape rivet galvanized steel sheet metal for a few bucks a square foot etc... My dad gave me some electric welding setup from when he upgraded his. I could rent time at a "tech" space with CNC machines, etc. etc.

I just got to find somebody in my area that has this tuning stuff that wouldn't mind letting me use it for a few minutes, for a few bucks...

Seems like most everybody in the business of selling CAIs is also in the business of deceptive marketing, preying on ignorant consumers that will believe whatever dyno chart you concoct up to show them? I keep looking for some honest tests showing some actual gains from simple bolt-ons - not sure if I've found some evidence that I can actually get decent gains on the V6 TLX or not?

Edit: I got a full stainless steel "cat back" exhaust for a Camry for $125 shipped (new). Edit 2, wait, no, that was from the ENGINE back, INCLUDING the cat. So one for my TLX needs to be a little fancier yes, but how much really? I've tried to read everything I can, but I still don't have a clear idea of what I can honestly gain, and where to start...

so you bought a car that worth 30k plus to put cheap DIY stuff in you car?! Then justify it by writing so long winded response!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Elisha Charles Murray
So you bought a car that worth 30k plus to put cheap DIY stuff in you car?! Then justify it by writing so long winded response!
I was in the unfortunate situation that I had to buy a new car quickly, without doing as much research, test driving, etc. as I would have liked to have done. I needed to purchase a car made by Honda/Acura because we thought it was going on a company car plan (but that didn't work out).

Anyway, at the time the 2.0T Accords were out of stock and the local dealer was adding a $10K up charge for the Civic Type R (other dealer said he would sell me one at MSRP, but did not know when he would get it in).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This, was the situation when I originally got the car:

So, I ended up with the TLX, from a company that uses the motto "Precision Performance", and, I'm disappointed that the engineers purposefully focused on making this car more "smooth" to drive rather than behave like a proper "sports sedan". When I push on the throttle, I feel like it's my grandma driving, not a car worthy of the "Precision Performance" claim.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I still haven't done any kind of performance upgrades or "tune", nor have I managed to buy a good welding setup etc. But, I have learned how to properly use the paddle shifters, was given a "Sprint Booster" and installed it, and, the car has had time to "learn" my driving habits. Using "Sport Mode", having the Sprint Booster, and using the paddle shifters along with always having Traction Control off have made the car feel much more responsive to my right foot and more enjoyable for me to drive.

Also, there was recently a fuel pump recall - I think aside from some preventative fix for the fuel pump (done by a software update) that the car's performance was also modified with the software update. The throttle seems a little more responsive and there seems to be less of a power cut when you try to accelerate after slowing down for a turn.

Upgrading from the stock (Potenza) tires to Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires should also yield a significant performance increase in terms of how the car handles and accelerates.

I just wish there was some simple, inexpensive way I could get a noticeable boost in low end torque and will always want that for as long as I own the car.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

Idk if you guys have been keeping up w the thread or not but ktuner has both a flash and an all in one flash + display + datalogger. Comes with all the goodies like vtec window and that pesky rev limiter and fuel cutoff. It's $649 for the full package.
Christopher. (11-24-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really considering getting it after getting my exhaust done this weekend.
Christopher. (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NBPaspec
get a welder, learn to weld. you could make your own exhaust components and also fab up a turbo system fairly cheap.
This actually sounds like SO much fun! I just can't afford to void my warranty at this point - when the car is paid off and the warranty is expired though...
Just a little more torque in the low RPM range is all I really want (like 15% - 20% more).

Originally Posted by SlickTLX
Idk if you guys have been keeping up w the thread or not but ktuner has both a flash and an all in one flash + display + datalogger. Comes with all the goodies like vtec window and that pesky rev limiter and fuel cutoff. It's $649 for the full package.
Is this something that a few of us could go in on? Can it be undone and made undetectable in case we need warranty support later?

Originally Posted by Troncoso51
Really considering getting it after getting my exhaust done this weekend.
I would LOVE to hear your new exhaust!

Last edited by Christopher.; 11-24-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was not able to go to California to get my exhaust done due to having a little fender bender right up my street a couple days after I posted
4000$ in damages to my car and I'm only getting back on the 9th of this month
Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SlickTLX
...and that pesky rev limiter and fuel cutoff..
Wait - are you trolling us? I mean, because you don't actually want to remove something which has only one purpose: keeping your engine from blowing up - do you?
MarcoTLX (05-09-2022)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Troncoso51
Was not able to go to California to get my exhaust done due to having a little fender bender right up my street a couple days after I posted
4000$ in damages to my car and I'm only getting back on the 9th of this month
Damn, sorry to heat that.
Not so long ago I was turning right from a small right turn lane. I was stopped for a while when the light turned green (no turn on red) to let pedestrians finish crossing. Idiot in the middle lane must have assumed I was parked, not realized there was a turn lane maybe? Because he turned right from the middle lane, an was going AROUND me (which I didn't see, because I was watching the pedestrians) and as I'm turning he cuts me off to avoid oncoming cars - I just couldn't stop before he hit me
Wouldn't be a big deal, except, it's so upsetting having THIS car get hit, so nice, so new DAMMIT! It's been repaired, and I guess it looks "good as new", but still upset that even though I avoided any accidents due to my own driving, somebody else had to hit me