3.5 TLX turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5 TLX turbo questions

I know hondata has not made a computer yet for the TLX. But I'm wondering if I put a turbo kit in my TLX will I be able to Dyno tune it with Ktuner to get it running? Or will I have to just wait for hondata to make a computer?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Isn't Ktuner strictly for the K-series engines, aka the 4 cylinder TLX, not the V6? I don't think there is anything out there in terms of turbo management for the 3.5L (though I may be wrong). There unfortunately is near zero aftermarket support for the car. Enthusiasts just aren't enthused by the car.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^ktuner came out for the TLX, tacobutts!

if Kturner can tune engine parameters like timing and fuel trims, then yes you can dyno tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Christopher. (08-05-2019), TacoBello (12-09-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I wonder if something like this can be tweaked to fit your TLX V6:
2013-2017 Honda Accord V6 Turbo Kit

Would be nice to have 500hp with SH-AWD. But I don't think the AWD system and ZF9AT can handle this torque level.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
the 4G guys have already emailed him and yes, can be tweaked to fit 4G.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (12-06-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
How about Rotrex?

I am sure you could piece together a system with the C38 Rotrex unto for less money. Probably easier too being a supercharger setup vs a turbo. I think there is someone on YouTube that has done this.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ultrapogi
I am sure you could piece together a system with the C38 Rotrex unto for less money. Probably easier too being a supercharger setup vs a turbo. I think there is someone on YouTube that has done this.
not easier vs a premade setup but I meant after fabrication probably easier to install. Also no turbo lag.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
You give up A/C with the Rotrex, and who is willing to give that up in a TLX?
The following 3 users liked this post by wilspainar:
justnspace (12-11-2017), MarcoTLX (05-09-2022), teh CL (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wilspainar
You give up A/C with the Rotrex, and who is willing to give that up in a TLX?
That would be a no go for sure. I didn’t realize that. I wonder how much modification it would take to fit the CT-engineering super charger on the TLX? Correct me if I am wrong but the basic engine layout for the Acura TL/TLX Honda Accord V6 for the J series has been the same for the last 15+ years?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ultrapogi
That would be a no go for sure. I didn’t realize that. I wonder how much modification it would take to fit the CT-engineering super charger on the TLX? Correct me if I am wrong but the basic engine layout for the Acura TL/TLX Honda Accord V6 for the J series has been the same for the last 15+ years?
since nothing has been made for the TLX, your best bet is custom. yes, the engine and engine layout has been the same for 15 years, but little things have moved around to make other things fit...

the Rotrex kit requires a custom mount...this mount gets in the way of the drive belt and for the TL, the easiest solution to for this custom mount was to delete the A/C.

if you want to boost your car; you will have to get custom brackets made...there's no way around it. a good fabricator can think outside of the box and fabricate mounts for you; depending on what you want done...

piping will also need to be custom. there's no way around it.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

Would be nice to have 500hp with SH-AWD. But I don't think the AWD system and ZF9AT can handle this torque level.
I put a large progressive shot of nitrous on my V6 TLX Apes SH-AWD and the trans was fine but it freaked out a bit due to the speed sensor and traction not liking it for 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear and up it worked fine and would put very hard but, my main purpose was for the AWD benefit to get the car out the hole as fast as I could and I never did figure it out.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What about the single turbo kit that Honda made for the TLX to run Pikes Peak? That setup looked interesting and the R&D guy who made it said this drivetrain has serious potential that tuners haven't tapped into it.
Christopher. (08-05-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec
What about the single turbo kit that Honda made for the TLX to run Pikes Peak? That setup looked interesting and the R&D guy who made it said this drivetrain has serious potential that tuners haven't tapped into it.
My question as well!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec

a fully custom-one-off-designed-turbo for pikes peak

if you want it, YOU have to build it.

buy a tig welder.
buy aluminium piping.
buy turbo
buy intercooler and piping
buy wastegate/blow off valve.
figure out the best way to merge or collect exhaust into custom turbo manifold. build it, weld it.
attach turbo to manifold.
take off oil pan. drill and weld bung. re-install oil pan, without any metal shavings. attach oil line fitting.
connect oil line to turbo.
connect and weld intercooler and it's piping.
create down and up pipe. cut and weld wastegate/blow off valve.

this is how you make a custom one off turbo.

Dont forget supporting mods like fuel... you'll need bigger injectors, colder plugs, you'll need a fuel cell and new gas lines.

if using quality parts; you're already into it for about $5-7k...already.
what happens if the engine blows up?
get two engines! one to figure out the limitations, and the other needs to be fully built! Springs, retainers, pistons, rods!
now, you're in it for another $5-7k...

should have just bought a faster car from the factory.
that's at least $14k on top of the $40k for the car....

could have just gone american v8 for that money.
or these little rice rockets with turbo4s

which both will be more reliable than the hacked up TLX.

of course the Honda R&D guy said it's an awesome platform, he has all the funds in the world to play.
He doesnt care about broken engines, OR how much down time the car needs

Last edited by justnspace; 06-03-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
It sucks so hard that there's not really any good way to spend a few hundred bucks to increase the power on the TLX

Originally Posted by justnspace
...should have just bought a faster car from the factory.

Yeah, $54K will get you a BMW M2, and will almost get you a C8 Vette...

But surprisingly, it seems that most of the track worthy American V8 cars are over $70K! The C8 Vette is gonna force some changes to those prices, or, they're just not gonna sell. Because, no way would I spend $10K more to get a Camaro over a mid-engine supercar-like Vette!

Last edited by Christopher.; 08-05-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully, fingers crossed, in a couple years there will be more aftermarket support for our cars. Its just that accord and its Acura counterpart legacy with less aftermarket than the civics. As of right now im looking for an exhaust and getting a KTuner V2 in the near future.
jdrefahl (03-29-2023)
Old 03-26-2020, 03:41 AM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 tl 6spd man

Originally Posted by justnspace
a fully custom-one-off-designed-turbo for pikes peak

if you want it, YOU have to build it.

buy a tig welder.
buy aluminium piping.
buy turbo
buy intercooler and piping
buy wastegate/blow off valve.
figure out the best way to merge or collect exhaust into custom turbo manifold. build it, weld it.
attach turbo to manifold.
take off oil pan. drill and weld bung. re-install oil pan, without any metal shavings. attach oil line fitting.
connect oil line to turbo.
connect and weld intercooler and it's piping.
create down and up pipe. cut and weld wastegate/blow off valve.

this is how you make a custom one off turbo.

Dont forget supporting mods like fuel... you'll need bigger injectors, colder plugs, you'll need a fuel cell and new gas lines.

if using quality parts; you're already into it for about $5-7k...already.
what happens if the engine blows up?
get two engines! one to figure out the limitations, and the other needs to be fully built! Springs, retainers, pistons, rods!
now, you're in it for another $5-7k...

should have just bought a faster car from the factory.

or these little rice rockets with turbo4s

which both will be more reliable than the hacked up TLX.

of course the Honda R&D guy said it's an awesome platform, he has all the funds in the world to play.
He doesnt care about broken engines, OR how much down time the car needs
i have managed to make great power from my lil 3.2 v6 if you know what you are doing and can get a ton of power from that v6 range of motors but what i kearnedlearned the hard way was that those v6s in the tl rl and accords cant handle a turbo because of the already very high engine compression. I did a complete custom turbo job and put the turbo under the car where the 2 manifolds come together on the "y" pipe but I wound up doing the 3.2 v6 and did the whole 07 08 ecu swap with the 3.5 upper intake manifold complete header to end exhaust intake ktner upgraded clutch and every lil component i could manage to find that would help me make power i am around 335 to 370 horses on a all naturally aspirated motor with v-tec controller. Biggest gain was going from narrow ban to wide ban o2 sensors for the upgraded ecu components. And like most ppl that will read this will have a hard time believing that you can get that for power but if you can be smarter then honda and manage to get around there extremely stupid ecu mapping and can manage to unlock the actual power that v6 motor has is actually astonishing. Cause i spin my tires off in motion from 5th to a 3rd gear drop at around 40bton45 mph with ease....car has more power now then i would have ever though being non boasted motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zack Lynch:
IL_TLX (04-14-2020), jdrefahl (03-29-2023)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zack Lynch
i have managed to make great power from my lil 3.2 v6 if you know what you are doing and can get a ton of power from that v6 range of motors but what i kearnedlearned the hard way was that those v6s in the tl rl and accords cant handle a turbo because of the already very high engine compression. I did a complete custom turbo job and put the turbo under the car where the 2 manifolds come together on the "y" pipe but I wound up doing the 3.2 v6 and did the whole 07 08 ecu swap with the 3.5 upper intake manifold complete header to end exhaust intake ktner upgraded clutch and every lil component i could manage to find that would help me make power i am around 335 to 370 horses on a all naturally aspirated motor with v-tec controller. Biggest gain was going from narrow ban to wide ban o2 sensors for the upgraded ecu components. And like most ppl that will read this will have a hard time believing that you can get that for power but if you can be smarter then honda and manage to get around there extremely stupid ecu mapping and can manage to unlock the actual power that v6 motor has is actually astonishing. Cause i spin my tires off in motion from 5th to a 3rd gear drop at around 40bton45 mph with ease....car has more power now then i would have ever though being non boasted motor.
sounds awesome and a spoiler for the new type s. Any video?