Is the subwoofer on ELS completely underwhelming or is mine broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
Is the subwoofer on ELS completely underwhelming or is mine broken?

My 13 TSX premium had a better subwoofer than this.

Switching it from -6 to +6 is literally barely any noticeable difference. Where as all my previous Acuras it was noticeable. Mirrors would vibrate/shake when subwoofer was maxed and maxed volume... My TLX I can barely tell there is any ?

Is everyone elses like this or is there an issue with mine?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not a bass freak but am an audio professional. Playing the jazz station on XM there is plenty of bass. On a purist basis--it's probably got too much. I haven't tried to adjust the levels but will try tonight and report back.

JLawrence
Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same here.... The bass is non existent... Only problem I have with the car... Part of getting the tech package was the premium stereo that sounds like crap.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timmygp
Same here.... The bass is non existent... Only problem I have with the car... Part of getting the tech package was the premium stereo that sounds like crap.

Makes me feel better this is an ELS issue. This sound system is actually garbage.

Bass literally is ZERO in this car
Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We have not taken delivery of ours yet but the 3 we test drove (Advance) add a decent amount of bass. We tested some bass heavy tracks from Portis Head, etc. to try it out and we were pleased. Also tried some very clean tight bass tracks from Pink Martini and it was great.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Have you tried to play music from a different source? In my TL with the ELS, SiriusXM sounds pretty hollow, especially with Dolby Pro Logic ON. If I turn off Dolby Pro Logic, and play music from Spotify, for example, the bass really thumps.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Instructor

ive tried SVC off ... DTS off... all levels...

but the issue is when changing from -6 to +6 on subwoofer on all sources. There is literally no difference and i have to constantly switch it up and down to see if i can tell what's changing.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
You may have a bad speaker / connection.

Last edited by 4WDrift; 09-23-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by insanik
ive tried SVC off ... DTS off... all levels...

but the issue is when changing from -6 to +6 on subwoofer on all sources. There is literally no difference and i have to constantly switch it up and down to see if i can tell what's changing.
Have you sat in the back to listen or look/feel the middle of the rear deck are to feel the thump of the sub? If you don't hear or feel anything at all then there must be a problem. I have the base model and can definitely feel the sub.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Also... Are you adjusting the bass slider or only the subwoofer? On mine the bass slider provides a noticeable difference while the subwoofer slider offers minimal difference.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayb082
Also... Are you adjusting the bass slider or only the subwoofer? On mine the bass slider provides a noticeable difference while the subwoofer slider offers minimal difference.

ive tried both

and that should be the opposite. Subwoofer should provide the main bass output in any car. its been significant in EVERY car ive ever owned.

The bass is literally non existant in this ELS audio and its pathetic for a premium sound sytem
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you taken it in? Sounds like a problem with the sub or connection as others have posted.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by insanik
ive tried both

and that should be the opposite. Subwoofer should provide the main bass output in any car. its been significant in EVERY car ive ever owned.

The bass is literally non existant in this ELS audio and its pathetic for a premium sound sytem
I second and third the remarks that there must be a disconnected wire between your head unit and the subwoofer. Our subwoofers are clearly audible and provides bass that you can unmistakably feel in your butt.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM
9th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
I agree as well, the subwoofer in my car is definitely working... if a tad underwhelming. I've got mine set like this:

Bass + 4
Treble + 4
Subwoofer + 4
RR + 3
Center: Center
SVC: Low
Surround... still playing with it... When I first go the car I thought I liked it on, but lately I have been keeping it off.

Hopefully you can get this fixed quickly.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Yea i need to take it in this weekend... sigh
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I have the same issue with my system is completely underwhelming. I don't think its a connection issue though. It seems under powered. I've tried all settings as mentioned above too.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What source do you usually use? I've noticed a pretty big difference between audio sources. I get decent bass through bluetooth and pandora, but almost nothing through fm (supposedly hd) and xm sattelite radio.

Maybe this is an issue of lower bandwidth music not being decoded properly by the various processing the car puts music through? I honestly don't understand how those svc settings work.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM
9th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
Some more observations on the sound system...

Music source selection is critical. Testing with CDs or USB where you controlled the rip quality seems to be the best. When I stream Pandora (the free version) through my MotoX , some songs seem fine and others have degraded audio quality (tinny/no bass).

One mistake I made which I have since rectified is fading to the rear of the car too much. Old habits die hard... use to the speakers in the back being the major source of bass. Turns out, that is not the case here. Now I am running as follows

Treble +4
Bass+5
Sub+5
RR+1
DNS off
SVC low

With this, I seem to get some reasonable bass. If you fade more - say RR+3, you can hardly feel any bass in the front.

Regards,

Keith
Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Wow! Next project is to look at my bass. I thought it was light on bass as well. I didn't hear or feel any thumping. I did notice that DTS Neural is off by default. With DTS Neural on, the system springs to life with great sound. No so much bass, still, but enough for me.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
The bass is bad... somehow when test driving I overlooked this. I've changed the settings in almost every combination possible, and I also have the neural surround sound enabled. If you compare the specs of the 4G TL and the TLX, the TLX system appears to have less power than the previous els version. My 4G TL with the right settings was the most amazing system I've experienced so far... I've been trying really really hard to just get used to the TLX system but I'm still disappointed a bit.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
You guys should test out deactivating or unplugging your ANC unit.
I am told by some turning it off in diag mode gets reset when the car is turned off.

But I have the ELS system in my ILX and noticed the system to be very underwhelming as well... though it is still much better than the average 7 speaker non ELS system.

Anyways, I unplugged the ANC unit behind the glove box and now have to turn my treble down because it seems to be too much and my rear view mirror now vibrates visually to the bass which I did not witness before.

Also, per acura, sound quality is better using the HD. However, while listening on a smartphone plugged in or via bluetooth you can change the equalizer far more drastically than your cars system. Turning my media player on my phone to bass+treble makes the bass really noticable in comparison to listening on HD where the sound is crisper but the bass isnt any deeper.
The following users liked this post:
4WDrift (10-04-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usdmJON
You guys should test out deactivating or unplugging your ANC unit.
I am told by some turning it off in diag mode gets reset when the car is turned off.

Anyways, I unplugged the ANC unit behind the glove box and now have to turn my treble down because it seems to be too much and my rear view mirror now vibrates visually to the bass which I did not witness before.
Sorry to ask, but what is an ANC unit. I read the entire owner's manual but I some time have a difficult time understanding abbreviations.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I found the bass in the TLX to be more than adequate for progressive rock.

ANC Active Noise Control?
tlxsteve (10-03-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
there's loads of projects on driveaccord,net whi h involve bypassing the ANC module. I'd have thought though....it would do nothing with the car running the stereo with the engine off. Is there a difference when the car is on the move or stationary...?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
You know thinking about it, did Acura totally account for the audio when designing ANC/ASC? Maybe it's reading some of the bass as noise to be cancelled? I'm going to unplug / disable it as I like my engine noise.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
You know thinking about it, did Acura totally account for the audio when designing ANC/ASC? Maybe it's reading some of the bass as noise to be cancelled? I'm going to unplug / disable it as I like my engine noise.
This is what some other guy have thought as well.

Originally, we started messing with the ANC (active noise control) because a guy without ELS installed a new sub and his car would make weird noises when first turned all. All from the speakers. A low drone buzzing sound. After a couple minutes it would go away I guess. But his sub was under performing from what he was used to. He unplugged the ANC as I did (i got the idea from him really) and his sub really kicked from that point forward.

I, with the ELS system but no aftermarket bass, swear I feel the bass and tremble has both increased. I wont rule out that it would be a placebo effect matched with some wishful thinking. But like I said, both treble and bass sound MUCH more defined with ANC off.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Question

Originally Posted by usdmJON
This is what some other guy have thought as well.

Originally, we started messing with the ANC (active noise control) because a guy without ELS installed a new sub and his car would make weird noises when first turned all. All from the speakers. A low drone buzzing sound. After a couple minutes it would go away I guess. But his sub was under performing from what he was used to. He unplugged the ANC as I did (i got the idea from him really) and his sub really kicked from that point forward.

I, with the ELS system but no aftermarket bass, swear I feel the bass and tremble has both increased. I wont rule out that it would be a placebo effect matched with some wishful thinking. But like I said, both treble and bass sound MUCH more defined with ANC off.
Can you point me where I can learn more about the ANC? I don't want to bore you with newbie questions, but I would like to disable mine, if I can figure out how.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Can you point me where I can learn more about the ANC? I don't want to bore you with newbie questions, but I would like to disable mine, if I can figure out how.

Thanks.

Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC)
Keycontributors to the TLX's quiet, refined interior are Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC). The two systems are comprised of dual overhead microphones, an ANC/ASC electronic processor, and the audio system's speakers. ASC/ANC operates whenever the engine is running, even if the audio system is turned off.
ANC is designed to reduce low frequency sound in the cabin caused mainly by the roughness of the road surface. The overhead microphones pick up sound waves and send them to the ANC/ASC processor, which creates and sends a precisely timed "reverse phase" audio signal to a special amplifier. In turn, the amplifier drives the door speakers to cancel the original noise signal.
ASC is a related technology designed to improve the engine sound quality by making the sound pressure level more linear as the engine revs increase. Typically, engine noise doesn't increase in a linear way with rising revs; instead there can be many resonances that create peaks and valleys in the sound pressure level and an uneven sound. ASC helps smooth out the engine sound by creating a same-phase or reverse-phase sound signal as needed and sending it to the speakers. Though the system offers benefits from idle to redline, it makes the largest difference in the range between 1400 and 2400 rpm (V6) and 1000 and 1800 rpm (4-cyl.), where it lowers the sound pressure level with a reverse-phase audio signal.
ASC is part of the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS). When the IDS is in ECON or Normal mode, the ASC system is tuned for a smooth, unobtrusive engine sound. When the IDS is switched to Sport or Sport+, the TLX's interior engine sound takes on a more aggressive note.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
Quandry (10-05-2014), tlxsteve (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tlxsteve

Thanks.
No problem.

Here is the first discussion the ILX and a few other guys had. A few posts in there is a video on where the ILX ANC is located. Not sure if this is the same for your car however.
https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...estion-905459/
tlxsteve (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan

Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC)
Keycontributors to the TLX's quiet, refined interior are Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC). The two systems are comprised of dual overhead microphones, an ANC/ASC electronic processor, and the audio system's speakers. ASC/ANC operates whenever the engine is running, even if the audio system is turned off.
ANC is designed to reduce low frequency sound in the cabin caused mainly by the roughness of the road surface. The overhead microphones pick up sound waves and send them to the ANC/ASC processor, which creates and sends a precisely timed "reverse phase" audio signal to a special amplifier. In turn, the amplifier drives the door speakers to cancel the original noise signal.
ASC is a related technology designed to improve the engine sound quality by making the sound pressure level more linear as the engine revs increase. Typically, engine noise doesn't increase in a linear way with rising revs; instead there can be many resonances that create peaks and valleys in the sound pressure level and an uneven sound. ASC helps smooth out the engine sound by creating a same-phase or reverse-phase sound signal as needed and sending it to the speakers. Though the system offers benefits from idle to redline, it makes the largest difference in the range between 1400 and 2400 rpm (V6) and 1000 and 1800 rpm (4-cyl.), where it lowers the sound pressure level with a reverse-phase audio signal.
ASC is part of the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS). When the IDS is in ECON or Normal mode, the ASC system is tuned for a smooth, unobtrusive engine sound. When the IDS is switched to Sport or Sport+, the TLX's interior engine sound takes on a more aggressive note.
If and only works when the engine is running, wouldn't an easy test simply be running the stereo in accesory mode (engine off) and seeing how different it sounds?
Old 10-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Advanced

If *anc, not and... Is there not an edit feature in this forum?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Question Diag Mode?

Tonight I tried to get into Diagnostic mode, but I could not figure it out.

To my amazement, I heard loads of bass when I was in Accessory mode. I was surprised how different the sound was.

I tried the method referred to earlier, but I cannot figure it out. Can someone tell me how to get into diag mode? I did not understand the 1+6 part of the equation.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I added a small amp, box and 10" sub to my TLX. The factory sub was a joke for me.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up Yahoo!

Found how to get into Diag mode. Turned off ANC. Looking forward to the drive into work to see if there is an improvement in bass and treble.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
does anc stay off? I have a feeling it won't unless you disable every journey...how do you get into diag mode? Same as Accord?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up ELS is amazing once ANC is disabled

Wow! The ride into work was great. The ELS sounds like it was designed by a sound engineer, now that ANC is disabled.

The sound is much more clearer and has strong treble and bass components even with the default settings set to center.

Now I am thoroughly happy with my new BRP I4 tech 2015 TLX.
a77 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up Awesome sound without ANC

Originally Posted by a77
does anc stay off? I have a feeling it won't unless you disable every journey...how do you get into diag mode? Same as Accord?
Yes. ANC setting stays off. I set it last night and drove into work today. Great sound.

I will find the link and get back to you. It was on the MDX site. The MDX ELS could be the same or must be close.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for all the birddogging guys! Greatly appreciated. I too think the TLX Premium system overall sounds anemic compared to previous 2013 TSX and three each 3G TL ELS systems, using identical music input on all three vehicles.

I sat in back seat of my TLX doing a test listen and the sound quality is very bad even compared to what's coming from front seat area and much worse than previous cars mentioned. Really miss the ELS system on my 3G TL's!

Don't know enough about ANC to chime in conversation but quickly learning. Thanks again!

Last edited by Davinci547Acura; 10-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Thanks for all the birddogging guys! Greatly appreciated. I too think the TLX Premium system overall sounds anemic compared to previous 2013 TSX and three each 3G TL ELS systems, using identical music input on all three vehicles.

I sat in back seat of my TLX doing a test listen and the sound quality is very bad even compared to what's coming from front seat area and much worse than previous cars mentioned. Really miss the ELS system on my 3G TL's!

Don't know enough about ANC to chime in conversation but quickly learning. Thanks again!
Just turn the car on in Accessory mode without the engine running. I noticed a big difference. Supposedly ANC is on when the engine is on. In sunny South Florida, we usually don't sit in our cars without the engine and AC running.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced

It seems like an ANC system should be pretty easily programmed to ignore the specific frequencies coming from the music being played. If this is confirmed to be the problem, does that mean there is some sort of design flaw with the ANC not communicating properly with the media system?

Quick Reply: Is the subwoofer on ELS completely underwhelming or is mine broken?