Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?

Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by know610
Just curious, why you use posi-taps? There's no wire taping or anything, It's all plug & play.
because there is a red wire and the black wire that need power and ground. Does your unit not require you to connect ant wires?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
because there is a red wire and the black wire that need power and ground. Does your unit not require you to connect ant wires?
For my TLX, it's all plug&Play. No wire cut or tap
Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by know610
For my TLX, it's all plug&Play. No wire cut or tap
Well that no fair for Us 4G TL owners its an actual pair of wires. Dammit....
Old 04-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I just bit the bullet and purchased the navtool for android auto/apple CarPlay. Taking those 2 bolts out underneath the head unit is a PITA, not to mention screwing them back in after I was done. I had one issue, which was the audio wire. In the youtube video,it shows to use a audio cable, which is no longer needed. I guessthey updated that, but they wired the wrong one. I spoke to them in the live chat on their website, and they asked if i was familiar with wiring. Being that I had everything apart in my car, I decided to justtry and fix it as they instructed me on how to do so. This required me to cut and resolder and shrinkwrap 3 wires together. After i was done, everything works fine. I never used android auto or apple car play before, but it does seem to slow my phone down while I'm using my phone with it plugged to the navtool (not using while driving btw).

And as for the length of the wires, there was plenty for the navtool to lay on the bottom of the center console. Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
teelx2015 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
These units are made to order. It took around 2 weeks for me to get it. They said on average to give them about 16 days.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats!

Using a phone with Android auto does make the phone a bit slower. In another vehicle, my Samsung S8 also got a bit warm when using it for an extended period of time but nothing too alarming.

I would love to get navtool for my TLX but it just seems too costly after shipping, currency conversion to Canadian dollars and possible duties
Old 04-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NavTool

Looking for an installer in Boca Raton FL area.

Any leads here?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Pro

Okay, a few months after my posts here I have successfully installed Navtool in my TL.
it. Is. Awesome. Navtool customer service, if you're persistent and courteous is incredibly responsive
and helpful even.Its solid, and most importantly feels factory. Looks factory. it was literally plug and play with the new system they sent out.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Anyone in the Bay Area in CA know what they're doing to install this? I'm not sure if I want to be messing around with the car myself...

After 2.5yrs I'm still on the fence about this lol
Old 08-26-2019, 05:42 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone installers in Toronto Ontario

Anyone in Toronto got this installEd?
Old 08-28-2019, 04:45 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
Anyone in the Bay Area in CA know what they're doing to install this? I'm not sure if I want to be messing around with the car myself...

After 2.5yrs I'm still on the fence about this lol
If you're local to BA, check this out:
https://gromaudio.com/vline/beta/hon...line-beta.html
I got this email some time ago. Check with them if they still looking for your car.
dezymond (08-30-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 AM
7th Gear

I just saw the trustpilot entry for NavTool and was appalled - it seems a member/owner of NavTool is "doxing" users with complaints and publishing their name, address & phone number. In other cases, the replies simply attempt to discredit users by saying "not an actual customer" or "review doesn't make sense".

See the one star reviews here: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/na...ges=en&stars=1
DUCRDX (01-09-2020)
Old 09-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Just installed in my 2G MDX and it works with control knob

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...2g-mdx-980302/
Old 09-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Pro

I love it.

I’ve installed the 5.0 hardware in my 2012 TL.
I also added amazon fire stick with a special back up battery so I don’t need the wall plug. Before adding the plug back up battery thing it kept updating for hours.
Now with I’m car WiFi, Navtool, CarPlay, Android auto, firestick it’s all that u could ask for.

With much research I found a dongle thats for cars with CarPlay already that makes it wireless. It’s on order. Hey nice installed what I expect is to have steering wheel controls because it uses uses Bluetooth 4.0 and when. It in Bluetooth mode navtool doesn’t work with steering just joystick. I’ll keep u guys posted but please reach out with if have questions comments or concerns.

Oh oh also I plan to install in the armrest a flush mount wireless charge. I’m excited just typing it. Heheheh.
teelx2015 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:27 AM
Advanced

guys some question about this.

in waze and gmaps, you can do sound out as phone call via bluetooth (this works even when i have my iphone connected via cable). will this work even post navtool.
Will native bluetooth connection/ calls work independently from navtool or do i have to user carplay to make ,rec calls. do you see callers when they call on the lower screen and can answer by touching the screen.

if i am using spotify will that work normally in terms of sound. will this by via lighting cable(carplay) or bluetooth.

why is rca male to male cables needed in the thread?
Old 09-26-2019, 01:24 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tool001
guys some question about this.

in waze and gmaps, you can do sound out as phone call via bluetooth (this works even when i have my iphone connected via cable). will this work even post navtool.
Will native bluetooth connection/ calls work independently from navtool or do i have to user carplay to make ,rec calls. do you see callers when they call on the lower screen and can answer by touching the screen.

if i am using spotify will that work normally in terms of sound. will this by via lighting cable(carplay) or bluetooth.

why is rca male to male cables needed in the thread?
In My 2G MDX, Incoming calls work fine as in I can use the steering buttons to receive the call while I am in Navtool(CP/AA)

For making a call, I have to come out of Navtool and go to phones menu, if I dial from CP/AA it tries to connect over BT however in the 2G MDX when you make a call outside of phone menu it doesnt connect automatically, you have to go in phone menu and then transfer the call to BT.

in 3rd Gen MDX I believe when a call is made it automaticlally connects to to BT and therefore you should be able to make calls from CP/AA via BT.

The RCA cable is for routing audio for CP/AA via Aux.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:44 PM
5th Gear

Pioneer Avh4500nex instead of Navtool

Hi,

I am having 2015 Acura Tlx, was thinking of getting an aftermarket Apple car play.

Will Pioneer Avh4500Nex fit, the pioneer website says it is compatible but not sure which display unit it replaces and about existing functions.

I am not interested in Navtool is there any other option?
Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by divya harish
Hi,

I am having 2015 Acura Tlx, was thinking of getting an aftermarket Apple car play.

Will Pioneer Avh4500Nex fit, the pioneer website says it is compatible but not sure which display unit it replaces and about existing functions.

I am not interested in Navtool is there any other option?
Don't think any Double DIN options exist. Navtool or GROM are just about your only options. Unless you know someone who does real good custom work and can make their own wiring harnesses to fit the factory plugs and harnesses.
divya harish (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 11:50 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dezymond
Don't think any Double DIN options exist. Navtool or GROM are just about your only options. Unless you know someone who does real good custom work and can make their own wiring harnesses to fit the factory plugs and harnesses.
Thank you, instead I am considering Garmin Drive smart GPS. I feel it’s a better option.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:38 AM
Pro

Thank you, instead I am considering Garmin Drive smart GPS. I feel it’s a better option.
May I ask WHY you dont want Navtool? I absolutely LOVE my navtool system. I cant imagine NOT having it.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

May I ask WHY you dont want Navtool? I absolutely LOVE my navtool system. I cant imagine NOT having it.
ok, My major concern is getting it installed.
How much would some one charge for installing it?
Also I saw in video that we need to install additional microphone and not sure how the existing Bluetooth and USB connections are affected.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Pro

Navtool is the EASIEST to install oout of them all.
There are youtube videos that will guide you every step of the way. Are you in East Bay Cali?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 PM
5th Gear

Navtool is the EASIEST to install oout of them all.
There are youtube videos that will guide you every step of the way. Are you in East Bay Cali?
Thanks, I am in Midwest Milwaukee.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok, My major concern is getting it installed.
How much would some one charge for installing it?
Also I saw in video that we need to install additional microphone and not sure how the existing Bluetooth and USB connections are affected.
You find a decent car audio shop they should be able to install it easily. It's just attaching a few wiring harnesses and cables.

Even if you were looking at a double DIN unit you'd need someone else to install it sounds like. So why does it matter if it's NavTool?
technocrat (01-13-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

I don't know about the kit for a later model vehicle, but I certainly don't like the unit for the 2004-2008 Acura TL. Very low quality and software interface looks like a 3rd grader put it together. For my money I'm going with the Nexus 7 install. Horrible customer service from the Navtool guy...they can't even spell and I have emails to prove it. Also, check out the Better Business Bureau for Navtool...they have multiple complaints!!
Old 01-21-2020, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teelx2015
I just saw the trustpilot entry for NavTool and was appalled - it seems a member/owner of NavTool is "doxing" users with complaints and publishing their name, address & phone number. In other cases, the replies simply attempt to discredit users by saying "not an actual customer" or "review doesn't make sense".

See the one star reviews here: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/na...ges=en&stars=1
I bought a unit for my 2004 TL and it was crap. Don't but it for the 3G for sure...maybe the kits for later models works better. They are all over the Better Business Bureau with complaints.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Pro

HAs anyone tried the wireless Dongle yet? CarPlayAir 2 Makes one. Carlinkit makes one also. They are based on the standard OS used in MoST cars that come with Carplay which is QNX (a blackberry type OS). NAVTOOL Uses the same. Would be interesting to know if it works.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:31 AM
5th Gear

I just read 4 years of this tread. It was very informative and alarming about Navtool. Has anyone tried it recently? as 2021. I am looking into TSX 2011. It looks like YouTube was updated last time 2 years ago website looks very bad are they still in business? did anyone buy anything of them recently? thanks (or is there anything else on the market ?)
Old 08-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by WojciechR
I just read 4 years of this tread. It was very informative and alarming about Navtool. Has anyone tried it recently? as 2021. I am looking into TSX 2011. It looks like YouTube was updated last time 2 years ago website looks very bad are they still in business? did anyone buy anything of them recently? thanks (or is there anything else on the market ?)
I bought one about 2-1/2 years ago, and for the most part it worked well after a rough start of the unt freezinf all the time and not working with the newer android software...Navtool support kept blaming everything else except their product, but eventually they took the unit back and updated the firmware and software and it finally worked...fast forward to about a month ago and my unit no longer works at all....i plug in my phone and nothing happens, it doesn't even charge the phone anymore either..i tried different cables, 3 different phones (my phone, wifes phone, and my work phone) and nothing. My phone and cable works on every other car i tried that has androild auto, and so it looks like my unit decided to take a big crap on itself lol The only thing the unit does do, is drain my car battery so much, that i have to plug in a battery charger every other night otherwise my car won't start...when i unplug the unit, my car battery is fine with almost no voltage drop. I also replaced my car battery since it was over 3 years old and thought i might as well just get a new one, and the Navtool unit still did not work, but it still drains the battery if i plug in the navtool unit...at least it's consistent lol

i emailed support, and as most people on here have confirmed numerous times, no response and am still waiting to hear back. If i can get this unit fixed, I will sell it and I am going to get a Grom Vline2 unit (model HON3VL2 for the TLX)...it supports wireless android auto, AND you can use your steering wheel controls, which the Navtool unit does NOT allow you to do. I was fine with it for 2 years, but now that my unit is not working, and the poor customer support and almost complete lack of development on the Navtool, I am switching over as soon as I can. From all my research, it looks like the Grom VLine2 has an active development team that rolls out updates fairly often based on user feedback of issues and new features...with Navtool it's pulling teeth even trying to get an email back from them in less than 3 days....good luck to anyone that does give Navtool a try, again, it worked well for a few years for me, but it was a rough start, a good middle, and now a horrible end. Once I finally get one of the Grom Vline2 units, I will do what I did when I got my Navtool unit, and post as much info as I can about install, how it works, and help troubleshoot or answer any questions as best i can from my own experience.

Last edited by swedrows; 08-05-2021 at 08:22 PM.