Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by swedrows
Sorry I'll have to wait to get home and try my wife's Samsung Galaxy S9 phone to see if Android 9 works since my work buddy was not at work today. As for my extended test of Android Auto on navtool, everything I tested was working for my full 50 minute drive to work...no disconnects, no music skipping, nothing. I am not sure how the text message preview works or phone calls, i am assuming i have to have my phone connected through bluetooth. Has anyone used those features while using navtool? I am assuming i need to connect through bluetooth to use those or do they work with just the phone connected to the usb port to navtool? I'll have to try to send myself a text from my work phone to personal phone when i am in the car on my drive home and see i guess. Anyway, that's all I have for now. I'll update tonight on Android 9 with my wife's phone.
for iPhone, once connected to Navtool CarPlay text and phone call work. However, Navtool recommended to unpair Bluetooth both phone and car. For me, I didn’t unpair. CarPlay text and call works.

Myself and other people noticed Navtool interface is lagging or delay when scrolling from icon to icon while on phone. Not sure about new navtool firmware .
Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Racer

Latest navtool firmware bug with my tlx on factory backup camera not showing when out on reverse.

The first time i plug navtool, backup camera work. After I shutoff the car and then later start the car, factory backup no longer working. I contacted with navtool as we type now.

Navtool asked me to reinstall firmware again and I did. Same issue as mention above.

now I flashed the old firmware and everything works. Good thing they haven’t removed old firmware 6092.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Racer

Per navtool chat, v9632 is a beta test
Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by know610
Per navtool chat, v9632 is a beta test
For me everything is working the way it should be on Firmware 9632 with my Android 8.0 Phone. I just tried it with my wife's Samsung S9 phone running Android 9.0 and Android Auto also works on her phone so not sure what the issue could be on your end. Did you try changing some of the setting during the software install that ask how the factory camera is activated? i think the options are manual, automatic and by user (or something like that). it might be worth a shot to try changing those settings one at a time and testing it. At this point I am not going to touch any settings on my navtool unit even if there are more firmware updates because mine is working so i need to leave it alone. hopefully you can get yours to work because it's been a long process for both of us, so with mine working buttery smooth now, it should give everyone hope that it should work with most people, or at the very least that the guys are navtool are finally super close to getting the navtool firmware out of beta testing with us lol
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Racer

I downgraded to v6092. Everything worked. I’m not going update to 9632.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Instructor

I downgraded to v6092. Everything worked. I’m not going update to 9632.
i wonder if it has to do with the specific unit that you have compared to mine, because i think we determined that we both have different units that they sent us. The updated firmware might have been written specifically for my navtool unit (and all of them that are exactly like mine) so that may explain why it is buggy on yours, although all the units should have "mostly" identical hardware. well glad yours works again with the earlier firmware. like i said, i am leaving mine alone and am not going to do any more updating to it if they release newer firmware or software. mine is finally working the way it should so i need to leave it alone otherwise i may regret it lol
Old 01-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Racer

i wonder if it has to do with the specific unit that you have compared to mine, because i think we determined that we both have different units that they sent us. The updated firmware might have been written specifically for my navtool unit (and all of them that are exactly like mine) so that may explain why it is buggy on yours, although all the units should have "mostly" identical hardware. well glad yours works again with the earlier firmware. like i said, i am leaving mine alone and am not going to do any more updating to it if they release newer firmware or software. mine is finally working the way it should so i need to leave it alone otherwise i may regret it lol
Are you planning to add usb extender flash mount like this?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Instructor

This is the before picture
This is the After picture
The following users liked this post:
know610 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Racer

What's your next project w/the car lol? For now, I think I'm done or maybe add Rooftop Spoiler idk yet..

So your Navtool still hanging as what you shown last time or you extended wire? I extended (solder) and now it sit perfectly on the floor under gear shift. I will take picture and posted later. I'm thinking of laying a thin plastic on top of the carpet and place Navtool on it just to avoid any stat b/t carpet and navtool.

I place navtool flat vertical. Power cable and digital cable pointed to driver side and hdmi port, usb port, mirco port point toward passenger side.

I'm getting this on/off switch for my ATV cuz it seem like Navtool caused a power cutoff every time I press Park. Just odd, it never happened to NavIk on my ATV. I can use rocket killer switch but I hate re-run the wire. The below switch is easy since just a plug to my existence connector that I already had in my ATV.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Racer

I think I have an idea why Navik did not cause ATV to become white screen noise. Maybe because I used HDMI switch box, I read a few forums and some said it's because of HDMI cable and switching to a better cable works for them. Other said that don't work but using a hdmi switch box work.

So, I think Navik did not caused that issue like NavTool because at that time I was using a HDMI Switch Box. Let see if this theory work again This switch box I had. That time I was using ATV and FireTV Stick.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Instructor

What's your next project w/the car lol? For now, I think I'm done or maybe add Rooftop Spoiler idk yet..

So your Navtool still hanging as what you shown last time or you extended wire? I extended (solder) and now it sit perfectly on the floor under gear shift. I will take picture and posted later. I'm thinking of laying a thin plastic on top of the carpet and place Navtool on it just to avoid any stat b/t carpet and navtool.

I place navtool flat vertical. Power cable and digital cable pointed to driver side and hdmi port, usb port, mirco port point toward passenger side.

I'm getting this on/off switch for my ATV cuz it seem like Navtool caused a power cutoff every time I press Park. Just odd, it never happened to NavIk on my ATV. I can use rocket killer switch but I hate re-run the wire. The below switch is easy since just a plug to my existence connector that I already had in my ATV.

my next project will probably to add the aspec style spoiler, although i am debating whether to do black, carbon fiber, or paint it the same color as my car (graphite metallic). I'll do that in the spring when the weather warms up because it is too damn cold right now in Chicago lol
Old 01-29-2019, 08:02 AM
Racer

I extended NavTool wires by soldering using 18 gauge. There's a few other soldered wires, that's because as I pulled down the wire, NavTool mic 2 thin wires got cut off so I had to solder those too. Everything work for me on old firmware 6092. Siri work too . Asked siri to skip song, call, or even read text. I asked siri to reply but the dam*n thing never understand me, lol...

Last edited by know610; 01-29-2019 at 08:05 AM.
teelx2015 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Has anyone noticed when they connect using navtool carplay or screen mirroring Their phone charges ULTRA slow if AT ALL.
How can I remedy this?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
Has anyone noticed when they connect using navtool carplay or screen mirroring Their phone charges ULTRA slow if AT ALL.
How can I remedy this?
sorry, did mot take notice of the charging. Too happy to see that since now NavTool works great....
Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks - first this string is great - thank you for the information, very helpful. I have a couple of questions as I am a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this. I have a 2016 TLX that I bought 25 months ago with 85k miles on it - as I am a road warrior. Asking these question below as I have found conflicting info on different forums.
1. I am on the road a lot and use the lightning port on my iPhone 8 for my headphones as I take long work calls and charge wirelessly. Once I put NavTool in, I'll have to use that port on my phone for the carplay and only use Bluetooth headphones to take and make phone calls. Correct? I do not use the car native microphone for work phone calls, there is just too much background noise and such.
2. If I want to use my native TLX microphone, can I use it to make calls through carplay? Or do I need to use the NavTool microphone to make calls via carplay?
3. Does the native TLX back up camera work without any additional wiring?
4. Using the carplay to use google maps, can I use the native TLX radio and have the radio play through the speakers at the same time google maps/carplay is displayed?

Again - really appreciate the information everyone has provided and any feedback would be helpful. I'm surprised no one has put together a Youtube video on this yet. There aren't any good videos on youtube reviewing how to pull apart the radio/command console.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dbarn03
Folks - first this string is great - thank you for the information, very helpful. I have a couple of questions as I am a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this. I have a 2016 TLX that I bought 25 months ago with 85k miles on it - as I am a road warrior. Asking these question below as I have found conflicting info on different forums.
1. I am on the road a lot and use the lightning port on my iPhone 8 for my headphones as I take long work calls and charge wirelessly. Once I put NavTool in, I'll have to use that port on my phone for the carplay and only use Bluetooth headphones to take and make phone calls. Correct? I do not use the car native microphone for work phone calls, there is just too much background noise and such.
2. If I want to use my native TLX microphone, can I use it to make calls through carplay? Or do I need to use the NavTool microphone to make calls via carplay?
3. Does the native TLX back up camera work without any additional wiring?
4. Using the carplay to use google maps, can I use the native TLX radio and have the radio play through the speakers at the same time google maps/carplay is displayed?

Again - really appreciate the information everyone has provided and any feedback would be helpful. I'm surprised no one has put together a Youtube video on this yet. There aren't any good videos on youtube reviewing how to pull apart the radio/command console.
1. U need lighting port for NavTool and use Bluetooth headphone instead
2. For NavTool CarPlay, you need NavTool mic
3. No wiring or anything. TLX OEM backup camera still work, MDX ppl said their not working.
4. No. CarPlay audio goes through AUX. If you change source to say FM, No sound from CarPlay.

I did a quick video. sorry for the music.

hope this help.
teelx2015 (01-30-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Racer

It just didn't look right esp lightning cable sticking out from the front console so I decide to make a small hole from this removable piece. I drew a red square where to cut it. I'm not sure why Acura made that piece for or what it is use for, The lightning cable run inside "below" the shift gear and under the side panel.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me everything is working the way it should be on Firmware 9632 with my Android 8.0 Phone. I just tried it with my wife's Samsung S9 phone running Android 9.0 and Android Auto also works on her phone so not sure what the issue could be on your end. Did you try changing some of the setting during the software install that ask how the factory camera is activated? i think the options are manual, automatic and by user (or something like that). it might be worth a shot to try changing those settings one at a time and testing it. At this point I am not going to touch any settings on my navtool unit even if there are more firmware updates because mine is working so i need to leave it alone. hopefully you can get yours to work because it's been a long process for both of us, so with mine working buttery smooth now, it should give everyone hope that it should work with most people, or at the very least that the guys are navtool are finally super close to getting the navtool firmware out of beta testing with us lol
​​​​@swedrows I am planning to pull the trigger again (Despite my bad experience in Dec 2018) on buying Navtool with asking them to upgrade my Navtool to the beta firmware you are using before shipping it to me, and for me to make a proper decision please let me know your experience with the following questions,
  1. Can you please confirm if Navtool with the beta firmware you have is working with One UI update for SAMSUNG S9?
  2. Did you experience any issues with backup camera displaying as soon as you put your car in Reverse?
  3. How is it working in cold weather?
Thank you.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Pro

Kewl I will get 24 gauge wire to extend so it reach car floor.

I have iPhone XS Max and iOS 12.1, I usually got disconnected from NavTool CarPlay. They said it’s an Apple bug and pointed me to Apple forum. Not sure if you experience that too?

Thanks for your reply.
Did you ever get it worked out? I was having the same issue with carplay. I sent mine is requesting it be updated to the latest navtool software and I it took them FOREVER> Just received it today. Im scared to plug it in, cause I will be so disappointed if its the same issues. We shall see.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Pro

Ok just tested with some show no sound on Netflix AppleTv. When changing audio to Stereo, sound work. Happy camper now lol

yes CarPlay and it’s feature are kewl with this NavTool.
Wait, what? When changing audio to stereo? please explain.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Pro

I just received my UPDATED TO 5.0 Navtool unit back from Navtool. The issues I was having with mine prior to seding was:
• Carplay constantly disconnect
• Carplay Constantly froze
• No sound with netflix
• Phone calls would freeze
• Screen would black out
• When I put car in reverse the guidelines scrolled across the screen

I though it wads because I had it mounted over the Glove box and perhaps it got too hot there?
I drive a 2012-2014 TL, and no one on that section has navtool...this was the only thread Ive found. But our cars are VERY similar.

Has ANYONE had these issues? What it fixed with the update?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Racer

If you connect AppleTV to NavTool, On the AppleTV screen, go to Setting, go to Audio & Video, go to Surround Sound, and change from Dolby Digital 5.1 to Stereo
I returned mine and they updated software to 5.0. They said when they mail me the unit, they forgot to update from 4.xx to 5.0. Once I receive the unit back, I flashed these firmware from Updater app. The firmware version work for me was 6092.

As of today, everything you listed below are working correctly after they updated to 5.0.

Oh if you intent to extend cable, I used 18g wire.

I just received my UPDATED TO 5.0 Navtool unit back from Navtool. The issues I was having with mine prior to seding was:
• Carplay constantly disconnect
• Carplay Constantly froze
• No sound with netflix
• Phone calls would freeze
• Screen would black out
• When I put car in reverse the guidelines scrolled across the screen

I though it wads because I had it mounted over the Glove box and perhaps it got too hot there?
I drive a 2012-2014 TL, and no one on that section has navtool...this was the only thread Ive found. But our cars are VERY similar.

Has ANYONE had these issues? What it fixed with the update?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Pro

If you connect AppleTV to NavTool, On the AppleTV screen, go to Setting, go to Audio & Video, go to Surround Sound, and change from Dolby Digital 5.1 to Stereo
I returned mine and they updated software to 5.0. They said when they mail me the unit, they forgot to update from 4.xx to 5.0. Once I receive the unit back, I flashed these firmware from Updater app. The firmware version work for me was 6092.

As of today, everything you listed below are working correctly after they updated to 5.0.

Oh if you intent to extend cable, I used 18g wire.

Attached is ascreenshot of my current firmware supposedly afyter they updated to most recent. I dont know where to look but can you tell me what version this is? I dont see 5.0 ANYWHERE???
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Racer

Nowhere we can truly know if it’s 5.0 or whatever.. we have to go by what they tell us.. if they say it’s a cat we have to believe it’s a cat lol...

the 9842 is your TL firmware.. TLX is 6092.

Attached is ascreenshot of my current firmware supposedly afyter they updated to most recent. I dont know where to look but can you tell me what version this is? I dont see 5.0 ANYWHERE???
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Pro

I do see a difference. Here is a screenshot AFTER the update for make/model.

Now I have to extend the wires, and proceed with the install..

Does Navtool charge your phone while you use the screen mirroring or car-play?

Last edited by mrphilipanderson; 02-20-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Racer

The screenshot info info does not mean anything if the unit is 5.0 or not. This is what NavTool chat told me.

Yes NavTool will charge your phone while connecting it.

becareful with mic cable. It’s very tiny and easy cut off. It happened to me and I had to soldier with 18g wire.

Bascailly u only need to extend 2 wires to reach car floor level inside under shift gear.

I do see a difference. Here is a screenshot AFTER the update for make/model.

Now I have to extend the wires, and proceed with the install..

Does Navtool charge your phone while you use the screen mirroring or car-play?

Old 02-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Pro

The screenshot info info does not mean anything if the unit is 5.0 or not. This is what NavTool chat told me.

Yes NavTool will charge your phone while connecting it.

becareful with mic cable. It’s very tiny and easy cut off. It happened to me and I had to soldier with 18g wire.

Bascailly u only need to extend 2 wires to reach car floor level inside under shift gear.

ah the harnesses are different for my TL...I have to extend 12 wire. 2 wires on the 32 pin harness and 10 wires on the 16 pin harness. I wonder why they made them so short.
There is like ZERO space behind the 4g TL head unit. It packed full because the engine is so damned big.

Last edited by mrphilipanderson; 02-20-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Racer

The 2 wires that I drew a red line.

Oh.. wow that’s a lot of wires to do..

TLX, I just extend the 2 wire instead of doing the wire that I tie.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Pro

For those of you who Navtools re fucntioning proiperly after update, what do you see when you go in reverse? Any scrolling lines for a split second? Or is it immediately you see the factory guide lines on the rear back up camera?
Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ram93
​​​​@swedrows I am planning to pull the trigger again (Despite my bad experience in Dec 2018) on buying Navtool with asking them to upgrade my Navtool to the beta firmware you are using before shipping it to me, and for me to make a proper decision please let me know your experience with the following questions,
  1. Can you please confirm if Navtool with the beta firmware you have is working with One UI update for SAMSUNG S9?
  2. Did you experience any issues with backup camera displaying as soon as you put your car in Reverse?
  3. How is it working in cold weather?
Thank you.
sorry for taking so long with my reply, i had surgery on my shoulder (torn rotator cuff and labrum) and am just getting back to catching up with stuff. in reply:
1) yes navtool is working with samusung S9 One UI update...there really shouldn't be a reason that it wouldn't work since Android Auto is an independent app, although that's no guarantee when it comes to navtool lol
2) sometimes the backup camera does not show up when i reverse but this seems to happen if i have the phone plugged in before the car radio system is fully initialized after i start my car...if i unplug and plug it back in after the radio and nav are 1st initialized after starting my car, it works as its supposed to
3) no issues in cold weather....im in chicago so we have had plenty of days of cold weather to test

hopefully if you pull the trigger it should work for you...it seems that after they finally provided the real firmware update to 5.0, everything worked
teelx2015 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry for taking so long with my reply, i had surgery on my shoulder (torn rotator cuff and labrum) and am just getting back to catching up with stuff. in reply:
1) yes navtool is working with samusung S9 One UI update...there really shouldn't be a reason that it wouldn't work since Android Auto is an independent app, although that's no guarantee when it comes to navtool lol
2) sometimes the backup camera does not show up when i reverse but this seems to happen if i have the phone plugged in before the car radio system is fully initialized after i start my car...if i unplug and plug it back in after the radio and nav are 1st initialized after starting my car, it works as its supposed to
3) no issues in cold weather....im in chicago so we have had plenty of days of cold weather to test

hopefully if you pull the trigger it should work for you...it seems that after they finally provided the real firmware update to 5.0, everything worked

I’m having the same reverse issue. It’s really annoying. I’ve reached out to Navtool for help, let’s see how they respond.
teelx2015 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio and Android Auto

Navik is not carplay, just mirroring. Still is a good unit. I removed Navik and install NavTool. I might use Navik in my wife's car

Side note: The YouTube NavTool unit posted for TLX, was totally different from what II received,even the wiring (cable). On Youtube, the unit had microsd port, opt port, usb port, and hdmi port. The one I had do not have optical port. They said it's for different car.
The wiring, on youtube, they have this small connector but mine dont have it. It seem they update wire by soldering together (less plugging, i guess). There's no way to tell if it 5.0 or not. Just go by what they say. They said it's the interface that are different from previous version. 5.0 came out Jan 2018 per NavTool.
For anyone running Navtool. Can you listen to over the air radio and use Android Auto navigation at the same time. Does the navigation break into the audio as it should? I wouldn't mind streaming audio, but I'm much more likely to listen to the radio on the way to work.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:48 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything is fine now and I wish you quick recovery, and Thanks for answering all my questions. I now can will confidence pull the trigger and will let you guys know how that goes, I am actually waiting for the weather to settle up here in Pittsburgh. It's too cold to do it outside now.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:09 AM
8th Gear

RDX 2018 Elite

Has anyone successfully installed on RDX 2018? I am thinking of getting this. Couple of YouTube video shows as not working on RDX 2018

Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hardcore-user
For anyone running Navtool. Can you listen to over the air radio and use Android Auto navigation at the same time. Does the navigation break into the audio as it should? I wouldn't mind streaming audio, but I'm much more likely to listen to the radio on the way to work.
In my car I can use apple carplay and still change to blueotooth aux or whatevere and the sound does one thing and the Screen does another. Howevere, lets say you're using Spoeken driving direction with Android Auto, you WILL NOT be able to hear those direction once you change the sound source to radio. You can see them on screen, but you cant hear them.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jaga Ka
Has anyone successfully installed on RDX 2018? I am thinking of getting this. Couple of YouTube video shows as not working on RDX 2018

https://youtu.be/R9fjCSo7cwg
This happened to all of us prior to sending in to navtool for them to update everything. As annoying as it was I sent it in after getting whats called an RA # from the tech support. I listed the issues, I requested it be updated to the latest firmware and software. I got mine back and everything works like it should. However, now it appears something is wrong with how Ive wired it in because im getting video static or just minor aberrations on the visuals...its fuzzy if you will. Just slightly. Navtool said it sounds like theres a loose wire. I used whats called posi-taps to make connections. What connections did everyon else use? how did you connect the power and ground, and to what?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM
8th Gear

This happened to all of us prior to sending in to navtool for them to update everything. As annoying as it was I sent it in after getting whats called an RA # from the tech support. I listed the issues, I requested it be updated to the latest firmware and software. I got mine back and everything works like it should. However, now it appears something is wrong with how Ive wired it in because im getting video static or just minor aberrations on the visuals...its fuzzy if you will. Just slightly. Navtool said it sounds like theres a loose wire. I used whats called posi-taps to make connections. What connections did everyon else use? how did you connect the power and ground, and to what?

thank you for the information. I am living in Toronto, ON, CANADA, I need to make sure they sent me the updated version, and even though the installation looks simple, anyone know good installer in Toronto?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:45 PM
7th Gear

How much were you charged for the unit + shipping (breakdown of fees)? I'm also in Ontario and interested but am holding off at the moment.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:56 PM
8th Gear

I haven’t ordered yet, but from talking to them it will be 600US.
teelx2015 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Racer

Just curious, why you use posi-taps? There's no wire taping or anything, It's all plug & play.

Quick Reply: Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?