Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Cable are short to place NavTool unit on the side panel car floor. I guess like @navhap mentioned extend with
24ga wire 24ga wire
. I guess cut and solder the wire. I should receive
USB Extension Flush USB Extension Flush
will tomorrow and 24ga Tuesday. Also, I contact NavTool for exchange. CarPlay kept disconnect on me. I had to unplug, plug a few times for carplay to work. The first plug it works fine for a few minutes then it start to freeze and finally it show logo for me to connect iphone even thought it's already connected.

I plan to place NavTool in passenger cabinet but let see. That's the place I put AppleTV. Or else, i will place NavTool under the cup holder panel.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:02 PM
Racer

See picture, NavTool can only reach up to the "red line". Just hanging their. The appleTV, I remove light and insert cable to that hole. No drill.

Some of my mod, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n153y7png...8nauZeOva?dl=0

Last edited by know610; 12-01-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Racer

Mimic @navhap mod.
All done for usb flush. Thanks for the idea @navhap

Last edited by know610; 12-02-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by know610
Mimic @navhap mod.
All done for usb flush. Thanks for the idea @navhap

looks really good!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:01 AM
Racer

@swedrows

Here are the item you might need that do not provide by NavTool.
Just a suggestion.

Required: OFC cable - This provide audio for AUX input
Dual 2 x RCA Male to 2 x RCA Male Audio Cable
Amazon Amazon

Optional: For a clean look
USB Mount Cable –USB Extension Square Flush USB Mount Cable –USB Extension Square Flush
Or
USB + HDMI Round Flush mount USB + HDMI Round Flush mount

If you want to flush
Micro USB Male to Micro USB Female Extension Micro USB Male to Micro USB Female Extension

I use
Wire Loom Harness Tape Wire Loom Harness Tape
because the cable connected to NavTool is messy.

Last edited by know610; 12-03-2018 at 08:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by know610:
Ram93 (12-13-2018), teelx2015 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't get it or understand. You need all that for just one USB port? Can I just use "Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable" and connect start to NavTool USB port? Why do I need the other 2 items?

Is your Navtool the same as my unit, see picture.
I just got my unit and it looks different from yours...here is a pic of mine.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Also, one of the wiring harnesses has a green wire and white wire that look like i'm supposed to connect them to something..any idea what those are for? i thought we didn't have to splice anything? i am waiting on navtool to send me installation instructions...not sure why nothing was included on how to install it
Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Racer

The white and green wire and it was taped in black? If that’s one, then based their YouTube, u don’t need to connect it. It uses as a remote or antenna..

i return for exchange yesterday. They should get it Thursday.
and I will have to chat with them about your unit is different from mine. That Navtool lie to me the unit you had was for different car model.

can you picture all your wires? Do you wire have this small square black plug (yellow and blue wire). Look like only 4pins I guess. YouTube said to control knob. See picture.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Instructor

The white and green wire and it was taped in black? If that’s one, then based their YouTube, u don’t need to connect it. It uses as a remote or antenna..

and I will have to chat with them about your unit is different from mine. That Navtool lie to me the unit you had was for different car model.

can you picture all your wires? Do you wire have this small square black plug (yellow and blue wire). Look like only 4pins I guess. YouTube said to control knob. See picture.

I'll have to check when I am back home. I left for a business trip this morning so I won't get home until Wednesday night and then I'll check the harnesses and connectors...I'm really going they didn't send me the wrong unit...but I still haven't received installation instructions and I emailed them 2 times already asking for them....so far, poor customer service just like many have experienced
Old 12-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by swedrows
I just got my unit and it looks different from yours...here is a pic of mine.
They said the reason your unit different because they ran out of stock so they gave you the more expensive one from Rolls Royce but said it's compatible with TLX. I'm just going by what they said. When I chat with them, they reply fast.
I bet they will point you to YouTube for installation.

Last edited by know610; 12-04-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Racer

Ok, the 4pin no longer needed. I updated connectors. Man, their YouTube posted on 11/12/18 and they change connector all sudden. but I guess it's good,, less connecting lol
Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Racer

Chat with NavTool and recommended 18 gauge wire. Also, new firmware will release soon for backup camera not switching (sometime) while in reverse mode.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:27 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I signed up just to subscribe and reply to this thread. Thanks for all the discussion and photos

How much was navtool for you folks? I'm looking into getting it for a 2015 TLX tech
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by teelx2015
I signed up just to subscribe and reply to this thread. Thanks for all the discussion and photos

How much was navtool for you folks? I'm looking into getting it for a 2015 TLX tech
$549.99 but u can get 10% discount
The following users liked this post:
teelx2015 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

you can chat and negotiate a 15% discount.
teelx2015 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$549.99 but u can get 10% discount
Originally Posted by navhap
you can chat and negotiate a 15% discount.
Thanks for the replies! I'm actually hoping to get one primarily for use with android auto. I just want to extend my phone screen and
1) control music (spotify, google music etc)
2) see google maps

Are there any other materials I should be looking to get besides the RCA cable and the USB mount/extension? I will also be getting a micro usb extension for future PC updates. I don't think i need the USB-Y cable since I'm not using an appleTV or other device,just a USB-C cable for phone hookup. I was also wondering about the extension of wires, any reason people are placing the device under the gear shift area (doesn't usb extension avoid the need for this?)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Racer

@navhap
Do you hear buzz noise or engine noise when turn the volume all the way up? Some ppl in MDXer forum uses "RCA to 3.5mm" instead and hear less noise compare to 2 rca pair. They plug "rca to 3.5mm" to main harness (red/white rca) and route to AUX in car. I do hear noise with 2 pair rca but I wrap the connector with furry loom tape, result less noise.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by teelx2015
Thanks for the replies! I'm actually hoping to get one primarily for use with android auto. I just want to extend my phone screen and
1) control music (spotify, google music etc) YES
2) see google maps YES

Are there any other materials I should be looking to get besides the RCA cable and the USB mount/extension? I will also be getting a micro usb extension for future PC updates. I don't think i need the USB-Y cable since I'm not using an appleTV or other device,just a USB-C cable for phone hookup. I was also wondering about the extension of wires, any reason people are placing the device under the gear shift area (doesn't usb extension avoid the need for this?)
If you don't want to mirroring (youtube etc). You don't need all those cable.

This is only needed:
Required:- This provide audio for AUX input
Dual 2 x RCA Male to 2 x RCA Male Audio Cable Dual 2 x RCA Male to 2 x RCA Male Audio Cable

Then run phone cable straight from NavTool to Phone but then you need to drill somewhere to route cable out to phone. You can put unit on inside panel and no need to run to shift gear. But either way, their wire is too shot to reach the car floor.
Some ppl use RCA to 3.5mm, They stated less engine noise when volume all up.
teelx2015 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Cruisin'

@navhap
Do you hear buzz noise or engine noise when turn the volume all the way up? Some ppl in MDXer forum uses "RCA to 3.5mm" instead and hear less noise compare to 2 rca pair. They plug "rca to 3.5mm" to main harness (red/white rca) and route to AUX in car. I do hear noise with 2 pair rca but I wrap the connector with furry loom tape, result less noise.

i get buzz noise from speakers when I turn the volume all the way up. I’m not bothered by it as it disappears at lower volumes and is non existent when music is played.

Have you found any creative workarounds other than ripping open my car again?
Old 12-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Racer

i get buzz noise from speakers when I turn the volume all the way up. I’m not bothered by it as it disappears at lower volumes and is non existent when music is played.

Not sure what you refer to by workaround? Are trying to relocate your unit?

Thinking about it, I might not place the unit under shift gear. I just put under side driver panel. All I need to do is pull the black furry side off and I can access the unit instead of removing shift gear but I still need to solder wire.

Last edited by know610; 12-06-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Instructor

i'm assuming the noise is from the fact that the navtool box is not shielded at all, and it's picking up or interfering with other electronic components behind the radio unit. When I am ready to installed, I will move the navtool around with the volume all the way up to see if there is a spot that has reduced noise, although hopefully there won't be any buzzing. if i hear buzzing, i may try to wrap the unit in one of those electrostatic bags to see if that helps at all. not sure what the navtool unit box is actually made of, low-grade aluminum or steel, but if buzzing occurs when you turn the volume up then lack of shielding seems like the culprit.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Racer

i'm assuming the noise is from the fact that the navtool box is not shielded at all, and it's picking up or interfering with other electronic components behind the radio unit. When I am ready to installed, I will move the navtool around with the volume all the way up to see if there is a spot that has reduced noise, although hopefully there won't be any buzzing. if i hear buzzing, i may try to wrap the unit in one of those electrostatic bags to see if that helps at all. not sure what the navtool unit box is actually made of, low-grade aluminum or steel, but if buzzing occurs when you turn the volume up then lack of shielding seems like the culprit.
Let us know how it work out with noise issue. Are you planning to extend the wire? I don't think TLX have a spot behind the radio to place the unit like other ppl installed on their MDX. Me, I rather be at a place for easy access then having to remove the radio just to do minor things with the unit.

Are you referring to this bag? Could that cause the unit to overheat? see pic

I just bought this mount for $12 and it's actually stick very good to the air vent even at a bump situation. One disadvantage is the gap between the phone and the wiping blade handle is about half an inch. Maybe the way I place the phone.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by know610; 12-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Let us know how it work out with noise issue. Are you planning to extend the wire? I don't think TLX have a spot behind the radio to place the unit like other ppl installed on their MDX. Me, I rather be at a place for easy access then having to remove the radio just to do minor things with the unit.

Are you referring to this bag? Could that cause the unit to overheat? see pic

I just bought this mount for $12 and it's actually stick very good to the air vent even at a bump situation. One disadvantage is the gap between the phone and the wiping blade handle is about half an inch. Maybe the way I place the phone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KYVSOSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Currently I am not planning on extending the wires, as that would involve a lot of cutting and soldering and I want to try the "plug and play" setup first to see how it goes. For the shielding, I was planning only wrapping the silver case portion in a shielding or static dissipating material, so the ends of the unit would not be wrapped, in order to avoid excessive heat buildup. I'll see if it helps at all if there is any buzzing, but again, hoping there is no buzzing to begin with.

So one other question, did you guys hook up the microphone? what is the purpose of the microphone? wouldn't the bluetooth still act as the primary interface for doing hands-free calls in the car or does the navtool unit microphone do that now? is the microphone specifically to use google or siri with your phone? it would help if navtool provided REAL instructions with these units instead of a youtube video, because we have to basically figure stuff out on our own and how to set things up and where and how....really annoying
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Instructor

this is one of the static bags i am going to try...it's a bubble wrap bag that has electrostatic dissipating conductors embedded in it (all the black lines)...I'll test this and the regular type of static bags that come with computer electronics and see if either of those help if there is buzzing.....but maybe the only way to prevent buzzing is to have the unit further away from the car radio unit, so placing the navtool under the gear shifter or in the glovebox is the solution. We'll see if one thing works, and if not, move on to the next until we get it right!
Old 12-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Racer

Hmm if static bag work, maybe wrap around the rca plug and use furry loom tape. When I wrap with furry loom tape, noise was actually less compare to without.

What I and other ppl from MDX forum noticed was navtool freeze if enabled Bluetooth while using iPhone but I’m not sure about Android phone.

For the freeze (from mdx forum), just press back button to stock interface then press back again to navtool should solve the freezing.

Some ppl don’t use navtool mic cuz it wasn’t that good. They use other brand and run to the driver a-pillar.

im still waiting for them to mail me a new one.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Racer

I think it will be hard to move navtool to other places. It will not reach shift gear or even the car floor inside the side panel. Mine was just hanging next to the metal.. hmm maybe that also cause noise too... metal next to metal — idk..

once I receive the unit and test everything are working, then I might extend the wire. Putting in glovebox is tought cuz need to solder inside car since plug too big for the passenger glovebox light hole. There’s no access to center glovebox unless drill. No plan to drill.

Or, at front passenger there’s a black board under the foot. Maybe put it their. See pic

Old 12-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Instructor

ok so i installed everything and started testing it to see how it worked before i close everything up, but the android auto keeps freezing, whether i have bluetooth turned off or on. I have firmware version 6042, so i am curious to see what firmware version to people have, as i know when new versions are released, sometimes it causes issues. i am going to chat with navtool and see if they can provide other firmware versions for me to test out, or if they can update because this one definitely does not work long before freezing.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post16340842i just installed mine last weekend (see post for pics)

Siri or Ok google will work with voice. The steering wheel button or other button like the phone button cannot initiate voice assistants (I was sad when I saw this too). The Siri eyes button on the steering can send the phone in Siri mode but it terminates in less than 2 secs.

Also during calls, I find that people on the other side of the call cannot hear me clearly enough through the microphone Navtool provided so I route my call through Bluetooth.

overall I’m quite happy with the installation as it’s very fast/responsive and useful!

The work needed for installation is quite a task. It’s not a slam dunk. I had to elongate wires to make the system reach the car floor.

so is yours working without issues? what firmware version did you install when you connected the navtool to your computer? only one version was available for me (6092) and it keeps freezing up on me.

Last edited by swedrows; 12-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Racer

so is yours working without issues? what firmware version did you install when you connected the navtool to your computer? only one version was available for me (6092) and it keeps freezing up on me.
have u heard anything from navtool about your freeze?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Instructor

have u heard anything from navtool about your freeze?
yeah all they said was that it was either a problem with my phone or the android auto software....no help at all. i'm going to try charging and checking a few other older phones i have to see if they work. i know online forums have mentioned that the android auto software is not working well after the most recent update, along with the phone android operating system versions 8 and 9...my older phones have version 6 and 7 so i will see if they work....if they do, then i know i just have to wait until updated software is released for my phone and android auto. kind of frustrating because i wanted to fully test the navtool unit and can't do that for now. so far, the only thing i can confirm is that there is a light buzzing when i turn the volume up.
also, are there any extension cables for the plug that goes from the top screen to the navtool unit? so far that is what is limiting me from mounting my unit on the floor area just behind the radio stack.

Last edited by swedrows; 12-09-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Racer

yeah all they said was that it was either a problem with my phone or the android auto software....no help at all. i'm going to try charging and checking a few other older phones i have to see if they work. i know online forums have mentioned that the android auto software is not working well after the most recent update, along with the phone android operating system versions 8 and 9...my older phones have version 6 and 7 so i will see if they work....if they do, then i know i just have to wait until updated software is released for my phone and android auto. kind of frustrating because i wanted to fully test the navtool unit and can't do that for now. so far, the only thing i can confirm is that there is a light buzzing when i turn the volume up.
also, are there any extension cables for the plug that goes from the top screen to the navtool unit? so far that is what is limiting me from mounting my unit on the floor area just behind the radio stack.
I noticed they kept said it's not their NavTool unit. Plus chat or talk with them is like they don't understand. Their phone service is sux. it's like they answered from India. Poor reception.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Racer

How you come along with using old android software?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

mine is working flawlessless. And yes I have an iPhone X and firmware 6092.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Instructor

mine is working flawlessless. And yes I have an iPhone X and firmware 6092.
yeah so far it's Android Auto that seems to be the issue, although i don't have an iPhone so I can't test to see if carplay works normally.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Instructor

I think it will be hard to move navtool to other places. It will not reach shift gear or even the car floor inside the side panel. Mine was just hanging next to the metal.. hmm maybe that also cause noise too... metal next to metal — idk..

once I receive the unit and test everything are working, then I might extend the wire. Putting in glovebox is tought cuz need to solder inside car since plug too big for the passenger glovebox light hole. There’s no access to center glovebox unless drill. No plan to drill.

Or, at front passenger there’s a black board under the foot. Maybe put it their. See pic

Hey when you receive your new unit, i wonder if the wiring harnesses will be different since they seem to change them or update them pretty often. i might have to chat with the navtool people online or send an email and mention to them about the buzzing when you turn up the volume. the rca plugs they used are regular generic unshielded silver connectors, and they probably should have used high-quality shielded rca gold connectors. that might fix the buzzing when audio is turned up since rca adapters are prone to interference and feedback, hence buzzing.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Instructor

so I was able to at least confirm that the navtool unit is not to blame, at least not entirely, because my buddies iPhone works perfectly with carplay through the unit. he also has a pixel 2 and that froze up Android Auto, just like my LG V30 did...so it looks like it mostly the fault of google at this point with not properly testing bugs associated with different android phones running android 8.0 and 9.0 and interfacing with android auto....now i am at the mercy of waiting on software updates either for my phone or for android auto...
Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

so I was able to at least confirm that the navtool unit is not to blame, at least not entirely, because my buddies iPhone works perfectly with carplay through the unit. he also has a pixel 2 and that froze up Android Auto, just like my LG V30 did...so it looks like it mostly the fault of google at this point with not properly testing bugs associated with different android phones running android 8.0 and 9.0 and interfacing with android auto....now i am at the mercy of waiting on software updates either for my phone or for android auto...
Just tested mine with Android auto and it works pretty well. No freezing on my initial testing.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Just tested mine with Android auto and it works pretty well. No freezing on my initial testing.
what android phone do you have? so far i tested an LG V30 (running Android 8.0 operating system - did not work, just freezes constantly), a Samsung Galaxy S9 (running Android 9.0 operating system - did not connect, only charges phone), and Google Pixel 2 XL (running Android 9.0 operating system - did not connect, only charges phone). i'm curious what android phone you have that works....can you post a video showing it working?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Instructor

How you come along with using old android software?
I was able to test an older phone I had, a Sony Xperia ZX1 (running Android 5.0 operating system) and that one works flawlessly with Android Auto! So basically I have confirmed that the issue is with some phones running operating system 8.0 and 9.0 and the Android Auto App. It kind of sucks because I have T-Mobile and they are slow to roll out the updates to phones after Google releases an update, so I don't know when my newer phones will actually work with Android Auto....hopefully Google releases an update to Android Auto that can fix whatever the issue is that crashes it on newer phones, or I have to find a newer phone that works with it and get rid of my current LG V30 (which i actually like alot).

For now, I am going to wipe my old phone (ZX1), and only install Andoid Auto, Google Maps, Google Music, and any other apps that are supposed to work on Android Auto, and tether it to my newer phones data so that I can use Android Auto in my car. That's all I can do at this point...at least i'm excited that the navtool setup works and that I'll be able to use it!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Racer

I was able to test an older phone I had, a Sony Xperia ZX1 (running Android 5.0 operating system) and that one works flawlessly with Android Auto! So basically I have confirmed that the issue is with some phones running operating system 8.0 and 9.0 and the Android Auto App. It kind of sucks because I have T-Mobile and they are slow to roll out the updates to phones after Google releases an update, so I don't know when my newer phones will actually work with Android Auto....hopefully Google releases an update to Android Auto that can fix whatever the issue is that crashes it on newer phones, or I have to find a newer phone that works with it and get rid of my current LG V30 (which i actually like alot).

For now, I am going to wipe my old phone (ZX1), and only install Andoid Auto, Google Maps, Google Music, and any other apps that are supposed to work on Android Auto, and tether it to my newer phones data so that I can use Android Auto in my car. That's all I can do at this point...at least i'm excited that the navtool setup works and that I'll be able to use it!
Maybe you can try XDA forums. Maybe their Android custom ROM might work. Oh, where did you place your NavTool?

Last edited by know610; 12-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Navtool 5.0 - Does it actually work with control knob?