Navigation HDD swap for SSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Navigation HDD swap for SSD

So last fall I bought a Solid State Drive (SSD) replacement for my Laptop's Hard Disk Drive (HDD). In the past it would take 5-10 minutes for my Laptop to boot up and be usable, after imaging the HDD unplugging and replacing with the SSD the Laptop boots up completely within about 8-10 seconds.

This got me thinking, why can we not image the Navigation HDD for a SSD (I'm assuming its a HDD). Would this improve performance of the Navigation and Voice recognition controls, so you don't have to wait 3-4 minutes for all the commands to be loaded into memory? Would it eliminate the slow performance when you make a selection on the screen until the command is executed? If this modification is feasible, it might vastly improve performance and our dissatisfaction with our Nav/radio units.

I have no idea how to remove the Navigation and/or Radio, and currently am leasing my TLX so limited to what I can do at this time.

I would love to look into this, or hear from you if you have tried this modification.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Im going to try this when i rip apart my interior to wrap it /... imma tech person who works in i.t so this is 100% correct and will make me enjoy the ride and touch screen more because the system used in the 2018 isnt much faster lol anyone agree>
Old 07-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Not sure it'll be as straightforward considering the firmware of the drive, finding a compatible one, making sure all the boot sectors are properly partitioned, etc..

but hey, you can be the first to guinea pig this!!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
If all else fails, you can at least reinstall the OEM HDD.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by randytlx15
Im going to try this when i rip apart my interior to wrap it /... imma tech person who works in i.t so this is 100% correct and will make me enjoy the ride and touch screen more because the system used in the 2018 isnt much faster lol anyone agree>
Randy:

Please take some photos and provide some helpful hints when you do.

I am 99% sure that I'm going to buy my lease and would like to try this modification. I do not think you'll have issues doing the image copy from one drive to the other, even if they are different sizes, etc as long as the software that makes the image accounts for the differences.

Thank-you!

Doug
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Doug-

I will take pictures only problem is the startup time maybe the connecting services it has to run during startup/loading....

will still try hahaha