Will the TLX interior be based upon RLX/MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Will the TLX interior be based upon RLX/MDX?

Or B) something in a completely different direction?

I'm hoping for B but suspect it will look very similar to current MDX.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
lets break out our magic 8 ball.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
prob will look the same with the double screens
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Didn't they already announce the 2nd screen was capacitive touch?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I hope not. The MDX screen resolution was not very high at all in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Don't imagine they will stray very far from what we've already seen in the RLX.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I would be shocked if they did not leverage what they have already created for the MDX and RLX.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree that the dual screen will be present...the question is how will they arrange the center stack and handle the vents. To me, I like the way they have done it in the MDX with the vents on the side of the screens but not a big fan of the dash configution in the RLX....something is just not flowing as right.

According to a member of TOV, he claimed that Acura had decided to do a "back to the drawing board" with respect of the TLX. In the end, we'll never know whether this was true or not, or if it was true, what was changed....I just hope its a success
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
lets break out our magic 8 ball.

Originally Posted by VQPower37
prob will look the same with the double screens
That's what I'm assuming as well. Something similar to what we see now with the RLX/MDX.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Didn't they already announce the 2nd screen was capacitive touch?
I hate the trend towards capacitive touch controls in cars. I can't operate them with gloves on unless I have special 'touch' gloves. Touch controls are also harder to operate without looking at them. Capacitive controls in general are so touchy in general that in a bouncing car they seem like a horrible idea. When I went to the auto show I sat in a cadillac with a complete capacitive touch center stack. That was a whole lot of nope.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm more curious to see the new shift controls. I am wondering what we will gain or lose with this new set up. Seems very futureristic... I will miss having the option of pedal shifters AND the shift knob when I'm in manual mode. It will definitely be something to get used to.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Can't say that I have missed not having a touch screen. Voice recognition has worked fine for me when I've used it. And besides, touch screens look terrible all finger printed up.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's too much for me to ask for a dash that doesn't have a touch screen in it. I don't really care for the dual screen setup at all.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
yes, It will be based on MDX & RLX dashboard. no doubt.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
The 2 screen layout is alright. Just give us physical buttons for all AC functions, air flow controls, and heated seats.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
The 2 screen layout is alright. Just give us physical buttons for all AC functions, air flow controls, and heated seats.

This is exactly where Acura got it right with the 3G TL. I'm not a fan of using a touchscreen for radio and HVAC controls either. Since the RLX and Accord have the 2 screen setup, I have no doubt the TLX will as well. If there's submenus to go through for basic functions, it distracts the driver from the task at hand, namely driving.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by erdoc48
This is exactly where Acura got it right with the 3G TL. I'm not a fan of using a touchscreen for radio and HVAC controls either. Since the RLX and Accord have the 2 screen setup, I have no doubt the TLX will as well. If there's submenus to go through for basic functions, it distracts the driver from the task at hand, namely driving.
Honestly, I spent about a week with both the new RLX and MDX and can say that once you have everything set up to your preferences, you hardly ever have to touch the screen except to enter a destination for the navigation system. Just about everything else can be managed with the redundant controls on the steering wheel or via the voice activation.

I think in most cases, people do not take the time to customize the car to their liking first. Once they do, I bet they too would find the car super easy to just enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
While I like what Acura has done with the TLX exterior I am sure the interior will follow the family lines with the dual displays and the antiquated head unit functionality. I would easily come back to Acura in a TLX if they can nail the head unit experience similar to what Audi has done in the MMI. I just love the MMI experience, while not perfect is blows away Acura and Infiniti (have not seen the Q50 head unti yet)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Can't say that I have missed not having a touch screen. Voice recognition has worked fine for me when I've used it. And besides, touch screens look terrible all finger printed up.
+1. Thought I would miss the touchscreen in the 4g when transitioning from the 3g but I've found the opposite to be true. My wife's 09 Ody has the touch screen and it always looks funky.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Randy is the Future

My only dislike about the 2 screens is that you also find it in the Honda line up as well... It kinda bothers me that the same set up that is in an EX-L Accord and up, EX Odyssey and up and EX Civic and up(slightly different but same idea) can also be found in an Acura. I think they should do something a little better to set the 2 apart.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^ That's definitely understandable. Not a deal-breaker, but Honda really should separate its brands more than they are now.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nore03
My only dislike about the 2 screens is that you also find it in the Honda line up as well... It kinda bothers me that the same set up that is in an EX-L Accord and up, EX Odyssey and up and EX Civic and up(slightly different but same idea) can also be found in an Acura. I think they should do something a little better to set the 2 apart.
True, but the screens in the Hondas are lower resolution.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
I think similar to this (RDX + ILX + MDX) Just a quick little lame attempt. Don't judge.. lol

It's more of a RDX MMC interior than anything but oh well.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nore03
What bothers me is the horrible Navi software that they refuse to rewrite. It seems only a little different than the software I had in my 2004 TSX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stevestr:
JeffS (02-20-2014), KeithL (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Randy is the Future

Originally Posted by Stevestr
What bothers me is the horrible Navi software that they refuse to rewrite. It seems only a little different than the software I had in my 2004 TSX.
I played with the new navi in the new accord and they have some new features I like. The ability to do birds eye view and adjust the height or place an icon on the map for your home address or an address in your address book. I wish my RL would at least let me place an icon on the map for my home address. I had an aftermarket navi in 2004 that had that capability in my Mitsubishi galant.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stevestr
I have said this over and over again, I want to come back, but after experiencing Audi's MMI the Acura and Infiniti NAVis feel antiquated. I hit the button and say "Online destination Panera Bread" and within a minute every Panaera bread around is listed in my screen. Or I can say " Enter Address 123 Main Street MyCity MyState" and again within a minute the destination is up on the screen, not parsing of every step. Audi need to improve the processing performance and once they add LTE to MMI (like the new A3) I suspect it will be lightning fast. Acura gets to that point and I will be back in a flash as the new TLX looks nice and I hope someone offers a replacement grille like some of the photoshop pics and they are is a best seller.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 200 Posts
The Navi in my step dad's 2014 SantaFe Sport 2.0T is pretty damn good I'll have to say.. the whole interface is. Even voice recognition. It's about 700 yards off though and there is no re calibrate option...
Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I have said this over and over again, I want to come back, but after experiencing Audi's MMI the Acura and Infiniti NAVis feel antiquated. I hit the button and say "Online destination Panera Bread" and within a minute every Panaera bread around is listed in my screen. Or I can say " Enter Address 123 Main Street MyCity MyState" and again within a minute the destination is up on the screen, not parsing of every step. Audi need to improve the processing performance and once they add LTE to MMI (like the new A3) I suspect it will be lightning fast. Acura gets to that point and I will be back in a flash as the new TLX looks nice and I hope someone offers a replacement grille like some of the photoshop pics and they are is a best seller.

That require a monthly subscription? Love online nav, but hate the idea on paying another data charge.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by geekybiker
That require a monthly subscription? Love online nav, but hate the idea on paying another data charge.
True, but if you use it enough you buy multi-year at discount. Still not cheap, Audi works out to $15 a month for 30 months. But compared to the price of the car minor cost.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Truly an unfortunate reality in the current car buying experience. Hopefully iOS in the car changes this at least a little, but I'm not holding my breath. I want software upgrades so my car isn't using a DOS screen in 2014.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Truly an unfortunate reality in the current car buying experience. Hopefully iOS in the car changes this at least a little, but I'm not holding my breath. I want software upgrades so my car isn't using a DOS screen in 2014.
Personally I prefer Google integration, but that is a different topic. Audi also has Google maps so as I approach my destination Street View pic of destination pops up. The beauty of each is not being tied to an older outdated NAV POI database loaded in the car.

The one thing that they all need to do to make that monthly fee worth while would be to be updated the maps in real time as well. With LTE there is no reason the when you punch in a destination it can't go figure out the route online with current info and then once you select the route start downloading the most current maps for your route.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Personally I prefer Google integration, but that is a different topic. Audi also has Google maps so as I approach my destination Street View pic of destination pops up. The beauty of each is not being tied to an older outdated NAV POI database loaded in the car.

The one thing that they all need to do to make that monthly fee worth while would be to be updated the maps in real time as well. With LTE there is no reason the when you punch in a destination it can't go figure out the route online with current info and then once you select the route start downloading the most current maps for your route.
I agree. I'm a Nexus user. I just only hear about the iOS integration.

I will eventually get a car with a screen, but not until the hinderance of not having said screen is too great.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kurtatx
This is where I hope the influence of Tesla's ModelS will rub off on traditional manufacturers. With so much functionality controlled through the ECU, Tesla has set their system up to be able to update the software driving the car through a wireless connection. The first mainstream manufacturer to figure out how to do this securely and efficiently will make a huge leap forward in the longevity of their cars.

That said, perhaps longevity is exactly what they don't want. Planned obsolescence, after all, is a good way to get people to buy new cars.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

One place Acura need to get in line is stop nagging me to hit OK every time I turn the damen car on, drives me nuts in the gf's 14 RDX. and remember the last screen I was on, stupid thing defaults to map every time, my Audi jumps right to last screen I was at when car was shut off. Going forward a car purchase is going to be more about the user experience than just how does the car look and ride.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Drifting

That's got to be coming soon....
Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
One place Acura need to get in line is stop nagging me to hit OK every time I turn the damen car on, drives me nuts in the gf's 14 RDX. and remember the last screen I was on, stupid thing defaults to map every time, my Audi jumps right to last screen I was at when car was shut off. Going forward a car purchase is going to be more about the user experience than just how does the car look and ride.
Too many lawyers involved.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
They could do a hell of a lot worse than imitate the interior of the RLX.

There's just a couple of things I do not like. The wood grain seems un-Acura, and the headliner seems a little cheap, sort of like you expect the glue to lose its hold around 100,000 miles. :-)

Other than that, it's great.

Two screens is probably a few steps ahead of all the buttons that were there before, and AcuraLink understands orders to find directions in natural English.

Yeah, it could be a hell of a lot worse things to imitate. :-)
Old 02-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
That's got to be coming soon....
It's surprisingly good the way it is right now. If your drive is a long one, you might very well get the notice saying that traffic is causing AcuraLink to change your directions.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by George Knighton
It's surprisingly good the way it is right now. If your drive is a long one, you might very well get the notice saying that traffic is causing AcuraLink to change your directions.
Not sure that I have Acuralink working.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I liked the interior with the numerous buttons myself. I am not saying that I won't buy a TLX because its got less button but I preferred the ol' way. To me, I rather have a button to select what I want rather than trying to navigate through various menus. I have driven various car rentals that had these interactive screens and I don't like it....but I am a little weird so that makes sense I guess

Quick Reply: Will the TLX interior be based upon RLX/MDX?