Why does the TLX offer less front seat legroom than BOTH the TL and TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Why does the TLX offer less front seat legroom than BOTH the TL and TSX?

I currently own both a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech and a 2010 TSX Tech and noticed that the front seats on both of these cars slide much further back, offering significantly more legroom than what can be achieved with the new TLX. I was perplexed to discover this. At about 5' 10" tall, I don't need to have the driver seat slid all the way back, but as a front seat passenger, my current TL and TSX really lets my legs stretch out about 3-4 inches more than is possible in the new TLX. Since the passenger volumes of both the TSX and TLX are almost the same and both have fold-down rear seats, I wonder why Acura decided the front seats of the TLX don't need to slide all the way back to offer the same front seat legroom as the current TL and TSX? I welcome your thoughts on why Acura did this. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 AM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by pmartone
I currently own both a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech and a 2010 TSX Tech and noticed that the front seats on both of these cars slide much further back, offering significantly more legroom than what can be achieved with the new TLX. I was perplexed to discover this. At about 5' 10" tall, I don't need to have the driver seat slid all the way back, but as a front seat passenger, my current TL and TSX really lets my legs stretch out about 3-4 inches more than is possible in the new TLX. Since the passenger volumes of both the TSX and TLX are almost the same and both have fold-down rear seats, I wonder why Acura decided the front seats of the TLX don't need to slide all the way back to offer the same front seat legroom as the current TL and TSX? I welcome your thoughts on why Acura did this. Thanks!
The answer: the design team for this car simply didn't get it right. Swing and a miss if you will. I have a 3rd gen TL (2008 type S) and was excited for the TLX, but sadly it was a disappointment. Interior front and rear legroom on the TLX is significantly less than the outgoing 4th gen TL, that much is very obvious just looking at it. After sitting in it, I can also confirm that front and rear legroom is worse than the 3rd gen TL. Wow. Huge mistake Acura. Your last two generations of TL buyers who are back on the market will be supremely disappointed by this. The TLX is an upgrade for TSX buyers, but a downgrade for TL buyers in terms of roominess. Funny how their marketing people say interior "volume" is unchanged from the 4th gen TL. They must think that people who have 35 to 45 grand to drop on a car are stupid. But hey, they are just doing there jobs as marketers. The design team needs a slap upside the head. The Chevy malibu made the same mistake of lost legroom when they redesigned. Now Chevy is practically giving those cars away lol. The TLX will likely befall a similar fate as now they are stuck with it for the next 5 years until another redesign hits.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts
I actually didnt realize their was much of a difference. Guess I just never paid attention to it. But i'm 6"3', and about 155 pounds, and have no trouble fitting in the TLX. I thought it felt similar to my previous TSX, which was also a 2010. I have, however, had a friend who is 6"4' and 300 pounds say he fit better in the TSX than the TLX though he didnt really fit very well in that either
Old 10-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I cannot prove or disprove this with measurements but I have a sneaking suspicion that the B pillar has been moved forward in the modern designs. If true, I can only imagine this is done to improve the side impact and rollover protection. Perhaps this has forced them to limit how far the seat can go back in order to preserve the proper relationship between the upper seatbelt anchor and your shoulder?
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-13-2014), LaCostaRacer (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I've not sat in a TL or TSX, so I can't comment on how the legroom feels. But according to the Acura "Compare Models" data, the three cars have the following front seat legroom:

TL 42.5 in
TSX 42.4
TLX 42.6

Seems about the same, but I'll admit that I don't know how they measure it.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I'm 6'3 and was quite comfortable with the amount of legroom. I Was not aware that they changed the legroom from the 4G to the TLX. I'll have to test that out on my next dealership visit.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Comments on new cars are always a circus of laughs.

How many HUNDREDS of times have you seen comments about the 4G TL being a "barge" ... "too damn big" ... "a boat" ... "huge", etc.?

And the car mags often said it needed to be trimmed down and made more nimble if it wanted to be a true sports sedan.

Now the TLX's seats won't move back far enough to make an NBA center comfy and it should be scrapped.

I've had both 3G and 4G TL's, and I find the TLX to be excellent in terms of room, both front and rear. Now, granted I'm more "average" at 5'9", 200 lbs, but cars for the masses can't really be designed around a Michael Jordan or Hulk Hogan.

If you don't like the TLX go somewhere else - there's lots of alternatives out there.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
ostrich (10-13-2014), Stew4HD (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
I've not sat in a TL or TSX, so I can't comment on how the legroom feels. But according to the Acura "Compare Models" data, the three cars have the following front seat legroom:

TL 42.5 in
TSX 42.4
TLX 42.6

Seems about the same, but I'll admit that I don't know how they measure it.
To expand on this with front/rear/total:
TL 4G 42.5 + 36.2 = 78.7"
TL 3G 42.8 + 34.9 = 77.7"
TLX 42.6 + 34.5 = 77.1"
TSX 42.4 + 34.3 = 76.7"

I have not felt or noticed a difference between my 3G TL and the TLX and the specs say that I lost 0.2" in front and 0.6" in total. That's miniscule. Put this to a blind test with an average height male and I am sure the results would be inconclusive. Oh, what is average you ask, and does an average height driver normally or frequently have an average height passenger sitting behind? I think not.
Originally Posted by petdocmb
The answer: the design team for this car simply didn't get it right. Swing and a miss if you will. I have a 3rd gen TL (2008 type S) and was excited for the TLX, but sadly it was a disappointment. Interior front and rear legroom on the TLX is significantly less than the outgoing 4th gen TL, that much is very obvious just looking at it. After sitting in it, I can also confirm that front and rear legroom is worse than the 3rd gen TL.
You sure have a sharp eye to be able to distinguish these minute differences just by looking, and want to take Acura out to the back shed for a whipping over a 1.6" difference!

But to make sure we are discussing the same thing, how much is "significant"? 0.1" is less and different, but is 1.6" really significant?
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

How many HUNDREDS of times have you seen comments about the 4G TL being a "barge" ... "too damn big" ... "a boat" ... "huge", etc.?

And the car mags often said it needed to be trimmed down and made more nimble if it wanted to be a true sports sedan.

Now the TLX's seats won't move back far enough to make an NBA center comfy and it should be scrapped.

I've had both 3G and 4G TL's, and I find the TLX to be excellent in terms of room, both front and rear. Now, granted I'm more "average" at 5'9", 200 lbs, but cars for the masses can't really be designed around a Michael Jordan or Hulk Hogan.

If you don't like the TLX go somewhere else - there's lots of alternatives out there.

Stop it, right now! Making sense will not be tolerated! Defending this car is also a faux pas! Take from me, the #2 defender.. who's #1?

There is a video of a basketball player getting in and out of the TLX and commenting on the exceptional legroom in the car.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ATLPatrick
But i'm 6"3', and about 155 pounds, however, had a friend who is 6"4' and 300 pounds
I'm more "average" at 5'9", 200 lbs,
welcome to America
Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
The answer: the design team for this car simply didn't get it right. Swing and a miss if you will. I have a 3rd gen TL (2008 type S) and was excited for the TLX, but sadly it was a disappointment. Interior front and rear legroom on the TLX is significantly less than the outgoing 4th gen TL, that much is very obvious just looking at it. After sitting in it, I can also confirm that front and rear legroom is worse than the 3rd gen TL. Wow. Huge mistake Acura. Your last two generations of TL buyers who are back on the market will be supremely disappointed by this. The TLX is an upgrade for TSX buyers, but a downgrade for TL buyers in terms of roominess. Funny how their marketing people say interior "volume" is unchanged from the 4th gen TL. They must think that people who have 35 to 45 grand to drop on a car are stupid. But hey, they are just doing there jobs as marketers. The design team needs a slap upside the head. The Chevy malibu made the same mistake of lost legroom when they redesigned. Now Chevy is practically giving those cars away lol. The TLX will likely befall a similar fate as now they are stuck with it for the next 5 years until another redesign hits.
Originally Posted by Colin
I cannot prove or disprove this with measurements but I have a sneaking suspicion that the B pillar has been moved forward in the modern designs. If true, I can only imagine this is done to improve the side impact and rollover protection. Perhaps this has forced them to limit how far the seat can go back in order to preserve the proper relationship between the upper seatbelt anchor and your shoulder?
2004 TL
2004 Acura TL 3.2 Sedan 3.2L V6 5-speed Automatic Features and Specs

2014 TLX
2015 Acura TLX Base Sedan 2.4L 4-cyl. 8-speed Automated Manual Features and Specs

Spec's show they are close but the leg room is very close (<0.4" worst case) so this probably just personal perception.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
welcome to America
*LMAO* That is actually the norm up here too....According to most people, because I walk/run daily, work out every day and watch what I eat which results in me being super slim, it means I must be anorexic! *sheesh*!!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
cocaine! its a helluva drug!!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Why so angry? It's just a car after all.

You are well aware that the comments about the previous TL being too large were in reference to the exterior. Virtually no one said "man, this car is too big inside", which is what the OP was referring to.

You are also well aware that unless you play for the Cowboys, 200 lbs. is not average or ideal for a 5'9" person. And given your tendency to blow your stack, a heart attack is probably in your future. Calm down.

If you don't like the questions or the topics, go somewhere else.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by 4thaccord
Why so angry? It's just a car after all.

You are well aware that the comments about the previous TL being too large were in reference to the exterior. Virtually no one said "man, this car is too big inside", which is what the OP was referring to.

You are also well aware that unless you play for the Cowboys, 200 lbs. is not average or ideal for a 5'9" person. And given your tendency to blow your stack, a heart attack is probably in your future. Calm down.

If you don't like the questions or the topics, go somewhere else.
Angry? What made you think I'm angry? Didn't I start off by saying it's a barrel of laughs? And I'm far from blowing my stack.

I totally agree it's just a car, and that's why I find it so funny people get their shorts all wadded up over it.

If you're talking about my invitation to go elsewhere to find a car that better suits, that was made with a friendly smile. :wink:

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
PreludeVTEC01 (10-13-2014), Stew4HD (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
< 5'10 & 215lbs

On topic, I sat in the driver's seat in the TLX in the position I would usually be in, and then got in the back seat and didn't notice anything different from my 3G. There was adequate legroom for someone my height IMHO of course. Suffice it to say, IMHO, I think 4 adults approximately my height can sit very comfortably in the TLX.

Personally, I like the fact that the TLX is "smaller" than the TL.

Last edited by ggesq; 10-13-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by ggesq
< 5'10 & 215lbs

On topic, I sat in the driver's seat in the TLX in the position I would usually be in, and then got in the back seat and didn't notice anything different from my 3G. There was adequate legroom for someone my height IMHO of course. Suffice it to say, IMHO, I think 4 adults approximately my height can sit very comfortably in the TLX.

You, sir, are of a princely and exquisite build, and your weight to height ratio is spot on. As another normal-sized guy, I salute you.

ggesq (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
What answer are you looking for and did you find it?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 6'2" and I just traded my '09 TL in for a TLX on Friday. I have PLENTY of legroom so I have no complaints whatsoever. I've owned 2 of the 3 cars mentioned, and the 2 largest mind you, and I see no difference at all!
Toddo627 (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
< 5'10 & 215lbs

We're uh .... of similar, uh .... stature.
And I also came from a 3G. I haven't noticed much of a difference in leg room. If there is, it hasn't affected me. The hour ride to and back from work has been a lot more comfortable than in the 3G, though.
ggesq (10-14-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Again guys, I just sat in the car. I went to the dealership, parked my 3rd gen type S right next to a brand new TLX and got in it. It was definitely more snug. Front and back. You can throw numbers around all day, but if it is the first thing I notice sitting in the car right after stepping out of a 3rd gen, clearly it's significant. Decreased room, no manual, hidden exhaust..... it just killed it for me. It's still an awesome car, don't get me wrong. I'm a Acura/Honda guy until the end. I didn't want an RLX and was dying for a sporty V6 and manual trans. So there was only one logical choice for me. This............................................

Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
And TLX has 4 doors. Seems like you have found the car that fits your requirements. Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat in one yesterday for the express purpose of comparing the legroom to my 10 TL. As you note, there is substantially less front seat driver legroom and play to the console bump. Also noted the inferior quality interior materials. Dashboard foam much less dense than the 10 TL and my wife's 14 MDX. Hard plastics with faux stitching on door was also a joke- perhaps a low trim level. Didn't pay attention as leg room is my sole priority. After 10 Acura's including the original Legend, I will be moving on. Btw, the MDX is just fine other than the response time on the electronics-paint dries faster.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I was the initiator of this thread about a month and a half ago. I have ordered a new TLX, so I am not bashing the car, but originally posted that I was disappointed in the front seat legroom compared to both my 2010 TL and TSX. My wife, who is very tall noticed it first, when she climbed into the passenger side of the new TLX in the showroom and indicated the front passenger seat doesn't go nearly as far back as it does in either our TL or TSX. I was just wondering how/why this happened.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I found the TLX legroom to be fine, I had 2 complaints with thew seating, first the seat base is too short and provide weak thigh support, second I found that the seat did not rise enough. I was spoiled with my M37S that had super comfortable and yet decently supportive seats. My Audi seats are awful and I would never take this car on an 8 hour drive, my Infiniti we used to drive from ATL to NYC and back and it was a pleasure.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Again guys, I just sat in the car. I went to the dealership, parked my 3rd gen type S right next to a brand new TLX and got in it. It was definitely more snug. Front and back. You can throw numbers around all day, but if it is the first thing I notice sitting in the car right after stepping out of a 3rd gen, clearly it's significant. Decreased room, no manual, hidden exhaust..... it just killed it for me. It's still an awesome car, don't get me wrong. I'm a Acura/Honda guy until the end. I didn't want an RLX and was dying for a sporty V6 and manual trans. So there was only one logical choice for me. This............................................

petdocmb. i am not blaming you. you got the most beautiful and best looking Acura model and it's hard to satisfy you with something else.

Originally Posted by zatom
Sat in one yesterday for the express purpose of comparing the legroom to my 10 TL. As you note, there is substantially less front seat driver legroom and play to the console bump. Also noted the inferior quality interior materials. Dashboard foam much less dense than the 10 TL and my wife's 14 MDX. Hard plastics with faux stitching on door was also a joke- perhaps a low trim level. Didn't pay attention as leg room is my sole priority. After 10 Acura's including the original Legend, I will be moving on. Btw, the MDX is just fine other than the response time on the electronics-paint dries faster.
guess i am not alone. I said the same thing before about the quality of the interior and people just ignore the fact that the TLX interior is not on par with the 3G or 4G TL.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
guess i am not alone. I said the same thing before about the quality of the interior and people just ignore the fact that the TLX interior is not on par with the 3G or 4G TL.
Fact? LMAO!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm 5'9" @185lbs and the TLX definitely feels smaller in comparision to my 4G TL. I sat in the front seat which was decent but the size difference was really noticeable when I sat in the rear seat. I sat behind the drivers seat with drivers seat adjusted to my comfort range for driving. My knees were pressed against the front seat. In the 4G, my knees almost touches the drivers seat while sitting in the rear. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can throw numbers around all day but to sit in one will give you the true feel. I'm not bashing the TLX but some times you have to cut through the marketing fluff.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
I'm 5'9" @185lbs and the TLX definitely feels smaller in comparision to my 4G TL. I sat in the front seat which was decent but the size difference was really noticeable when I sat in the rear seat. I sat behind the drivers seat with drivers seat adjusted to my comfort range for driving. My knees were pressed against the front seat. In the 4G, my knees almost touches the drivers seat while sitting in the rear. Like someone mentioned earlier, you can throw numbers around all day but to sit in one will give you the true feel. I'm not bashing the TLX but some times you have to cut through the marketing fluff.
It was too small for me in back and I didn't like not having ANY room to stick my feet underneath the front seat. Who does that anymore?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I had no problem with it. I adjusted the front seat the way I liked it and then got in the back, and had as much or more room as I had in my 3G TL Type S.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Curiously, the OP stated in the first post that at 5'10" he didn't actually NEED all the front seat travel.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Well the good news is that the TLX still has a lot going for it. Much like its predecessors, it looks good, it's fast, handles well, has incredible engines and just like any other Honda/Acura, has bulletproof reliability and value retention. All features that define the brand. It's the first year on a brand new model. There's always kinks that will need to be worked out. My guess is that they are listening and that the legroom issue can be improved by adjusting (increasing) the gap under the front seats between the seat and floor and fixing the distance the front passenger seat can slide back. Overall it may still be snug compared to the last two generations of the TL, but fixing those things will make a dramatic improvement. Perhaps that will come along with the mid cycle refresh or sooner. Imagine if they do those things and release a real Type-S variant that is more than just a cosmetic upgrade. That will reignite the fire that has been embers for a while.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Well, I had a 2013 Accord Touring and just got the TLX V6 Advance.

According to the specs (TLX/Accord)

55.3/55.6 in. - Hip Room
42.6/42.5 in. - Leg Room
57.5/58.6 in. - Shoulder Room
37.2/39.1 in. - Head Room

When I looked at these numbers pre-purchase the differences were so subtle I didn't really feel they'd be appreciable. Now that I have about 2 weeks of ownership under my belt I can say that I don't really don't notice it much except when exiting the car.

Either the door opening is smaller or the TLX sits lower, but it is a narrower egress than before, I think. Still nothing I can't live with, though.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dysonlu
Fact? LMAO!
believe or not, it's FACT. maybe the 3G is also known for its infamous dashboard. but hey, the quality of material is way superior than the plastic on the TLX. i am not bashing the TLX, but Acura do use cheaper material for the newer model now.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

believe or not, it's FACT. maybe the 3G is also known for its infamous dashboard. but hey, the quality of material is way superior than the plastic on the TLX. i am not bashing the TLX, but Acura do use cheaper material for the newer model now.
Opinion is not FACT, sorry.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

how's that an opinion? if you own a previous generation TL and you can tell by looking and touching the material of the interior.

i was at the Elites Acura testing drive the TLX. this lady was also shopping for a new car and she said to her husband about the cheap/plastic feel of the TLX interior when she sat in one.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
It's an opinion because I have a 3G and wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment.

The leather on the seats, dash materials, plastics on the door, gaps in between panels, wood... are all superior in the TLX IMHO.

Last edited by ggesq; 10-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

don't you think the dash and door panel feel very plastic?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts
don't you think the dash and door panel feel very plastic?
I truly don't. I think the different textures feel and look great. IMO.
Stew4HD (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PreludeVTEC01
I truly don't. I think the different textures feel and look great. IMO.
The Accord has the same type of material on the dash and I like it too. It's a semi-soft compound, well textured. It doesn't look or feel cheap.

I have an F-150 and the dash panels are hard plastic.. now that is cheap!

Quick Reply: Why does the TLX offer less front seat legroom than BOTH the TL and TSX?