Who hates new gear shifter buttons??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I guess you guys who like the buttons have the whole car wash thing figured out and are confident that car wash attendants know what to do to? That would be my concern.
I never take my car to a car wash where anyone touches it but me, so no problem.

Even if I did, the same issue would exist whether it's a button or a knob or a stick coming out of the console. You realize the whole thing is electronic, so there are no linkages.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
+1 DOn't understand why people "rest" the hands on shift lever, when driving both hands should be on wheel.
Annd no doubt in the 10-2 position
Old 07-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
+1 DOn't understand why people "rest" the hands on shift lever, when driving both hands should be on wheel.
I've had several 5 speed manuals in my younger day, so the natural progression from manual to auto is to leave the stick in the console. However, my older brethren will tell you about the good ole steering column shifters.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:02 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
I've had several 5 speed manuals in my younger day, so the natural progression from manual to auto is to leave the stick in the console. However, my older brethren will tell you about the good ole steering column shifters.
This!
And it's also easier to get a quick BJ from the wife in the car without the shifter jabbing her in the gut, thats my job.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I guess you guys who like the buttons have the whole car wash thing figured out and are confident that car wash attendants know what to do to? That would be my concern.
That's a very easy thing to overcome. Car wash mode is great for the owner, not so much for someone not familiar with our cars.

Once you get out of the car, just turn around, and buckle the drivers side seatbelt with no one sitting in it. The seatbelt is what controls the safety lockouts in the transmission. Open the door with your seatbelt on, and the car will stay in gear, but as soon as you unclick the seatbelt with the door open, the car will shift into park.
The following users liked this post:
elroy (07-22-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 04:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Good info Mr Hyde.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
When I bought my TLX V6 with buttons / paddles, I couldn't think but hey even Ferrari has it!

Paddles work.... but transmission buttons need more focus and are less intuitiive; they became a two-steps process. Visualize and select. Before you didn't even have to look at it; a shifter doesn't require you to double-check as much.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Paddles work.... but transmission buttons need more focus and are less intuitiive; they became a two-steps process. Visualize and select. Before you didn't even have to look at it; a shifter doesn't require you to double-check as much.
I disagree completely. The buttons require much less focus. You can tell by feel whether it's R or D. On is a backwards pull, the other is a push of a big round button.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neil0311
I disagree completely. The buttons require much less focus. You can tell by feel whether it's R or D. On is a backwards pull, the other is a push of a big round button.
Well you overlooked the one I have most problem; P!!!!!

Many times I was going to leave and the car emitted signals... wasn't in P. Not intuitive at all.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Many times I was going to leave and the car emitted signals... wasn't in P. Not intuitive at all.
Just press the engine OFF button. It'll shift to P on its own.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

How so. I've had this issue with the RDX loaner with a shift lever. I got so used to the TLX V6 going into park automatically whenever it should that I would forget to shift the lever to park, get the warning, and be confused for a second as to what the complaint was. I have NEVER had the TLX v6 emit signals when not in park. (It has yelled at me for leaving the vicinity while it was still running, albeit in park.)
Old 07-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

How exactly do you run into this problem? Do you not select anything and attempt to exit the car which is still running? The car automatically shifts to Park if you open the door with your seatbelt unfastened. So do you attempt to exit the car with your seatbelt fastened?

Last edited by pnoi521; 07-22-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:35 AM
Banned

By writing "I was going to leave", I meant shutting it down first. What I have in mind is that I was under impression that I pushed that P button and it wasn't the case. We should always double-check the gear info at the dash I guess, but I feel that it was less necessary with a stick.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Instructor

We still don't understand how you managed leave without the car going into park. Did you jump out from the sun roof????

Turn off the engine--car goes to park
Open the door with the seat belt unlatched--car goes to park.
Open the door with the seat belt latched, car stays in gear. Unlatch the seat belt--car goes to park.
Haven't tried getting out the passenger side. Guess that is feasible since there is no shift to impede the process.

If your car is behaving differently, take it in for service. (Maybe this is a Canadian "feature?") Mine is so reliable in this behavior that I do not even look. Just look at the convoluted "car wash" procedure. (I don't use car washes, I like to keep my finish scratch free.)
Old 07-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by sbillard
We still don't understand how you managed leave without the car going into park. Did you jump out from the sun roof????

Turn off the engine--car goes to park
Open the door with the seat belt unlatched--car goes to park.
Open the door with the seat belt latched, car stays in gear. Unlatch the seat belt--car goes to park.
Haven't tried getting out the passenger side. Guess that is feasible since there is no shift to impede the process.

If your car is behaving differently, take it in for service. (Maybe this is a Canadian "feature?") Mine is so reliable in this behavior that I do not even look. Just look at the convoluted "car wash" procedure. (I don't use car washes, I like to keep my finish scratch free.)
lol I think people just have a problem with change. This is just like every time Apple changes something on the iPhone. Everyone was crying like it was the end of the world when they changed over to the lightning connectors. a few years later and it not even an issue anymore.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I might be the first to say im split on it... i absolutely loved having a shifter to hold on to while driving in my 2nd gen, there was also something great about shifting with that motion as if i were almost part of the machine even though it was automatic. I think its something that has been drilled in to our minds due to the amount of VTEC bliss we've engaged in over the years with that being a key trigger; pull back, push down and let your pulse thrive! If you've ever driven manual then the stick will mean even more to you than ever. Heck, the first thing i did when i went to visit my old car in storage the other day was grab hold of the stick and the wheel while marveling at how soft and plush the leather felt. Now as for my new TLX, it didn't take long for the convenience of the clearance in the middle to grow on me and for the new 9 & 3 paddle shifting stance to become my new "time to rip it" stance. Ok, now that i think of it the truth is i might not be split, but i'm definitely at least 60/40 in favour of the stick. I wonder if we'll some day see custom hand gestures linked to the transmission, i'd love to pretend i'm whipping the horses that are pulling my chariot every time i shift bahahaha
Old 07-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. ShawnJ007
Ok, now that i think of it the truth is i might not be split, but i'm definitely at least 60/40 in favour of the stick.
x2.

I don't hate it but I don't see the benefit. And yes it is a source of undue distraction.

I'd prefer the stick ZF-style found in BMW/Audi.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered TL Owner

x2.

I don't hate it but I don't see the benefit. And yes it is a source of undue distraction.

+1 for the BMW joystick
Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
x2.

x3
Old 07-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Since driving my TLX since October of last year I've gotten somewhat used to the buttons but i dont think its possible to get completely used to all the buttons in that area.

For example: I can put the car into reverse and put on/take off the E-Brake switch without needing to look but sometimes to put into Drive its a bit challenging(especially when doing a quick K-turn). Another issue I have is when i get to the car wash and have to put the car into neutral sometimes without looking I end up hitting the IDS button instead of the N button. Acura needs to figure out a new button layout. Having the shifter buttons in the same proximity and same layout as the Brake hold, Auto engine shutoff, and IDS buttons is not ergonomic because its hard to reach down and feel which is which. The N, IDS, Auto engine shut off, and Brake Hold buttons are all flat so you cannot feet the difference between them. BMW & Mercedes C class has a rocker switch for their own IDS settings. Lexus IS200t has a knob for their version of IDS. Hell even my wife's Mazda CX-5 has a rocker switch for Sport mode!

If they dont figure out a new layout and separate all the other buttons, then yes, bring back the shifter!

Last edited by reddogTL; 07-26-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Instructor

I'be found that if I have my index finger on the reverse button my thumb naturally falls on the drive button. So K-turns are no big deal. I might have to look to put it in neutral or park, but since I never do these it is not an issue. (Don't need neutral, car puts itself in park whenever needed.) IDS is just below the drive button and has raised dots so is unmistakeable. (But I stay in sport, so not an issue.) Break hold is just below the parking break so if that is easy to find break hold should not be any more difficult. Auto Idle stop is out of the way, but again not much used. I keep it on, but if you don't like it you probably turn it off immediately (and have learned its position.)