What would you change about the new TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014 | 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I held onto my 3G TL because the 4G was a step in the wrong direction. Ill be in the market later this year as my certified preowned extended warranty will be nearing its expiration so im a potential customer.
Heres what I want:
1) Competitative performance numbers on base model against BMW 328, Audi A4, new C class. It doesnt have to BEAT the 328, but come close with better fuel economy is OK. Same for higher trim against 335, S4, C350. I dont CARE how many HP it has, as long as the performance is comparable. High revving Type S version of the i4 would be awesome with a tuned intake, exhaust, ecu, brembo brakes, and tighter suspension. Maybe use that new 2.0L turbo from europe with the 8DCT.
2) Starting price where TSX left off around $32-33k for base model.
3) Fuel economy numbers are 24/35mpg i4 21/34 v6 these are pretty decent. CLA gets up to 38mpg but ILX is more comparable to that size so thats a whole other convo on the mess of a powertrain the ILX is.
4) DONT make the car look bland. Thats how you got into this mess in the first place. Make it look mean and aggressive. When I see a newer BMW, Q50, Mercedes, Lexus with those LED running lights in my rear view mirror its intimidating because it looks like the car wants to munch on small children while impregnanting your wife. The production TLX looks like it wants to take you out for milk and cookies.

You mentioned the fuel economy numbers in your post. I agree with you that they're actually pretty good, especially the highway number for the V6 FWD. Those are the same fuel economy numbers as the Accord V6. I've read on the Honda boards that some people are actually getting better than 34 on the highway with the V6. Some are swearing that they're getting 36 and 37 mpgs. That's pretty stout in my opinion from a strong V6. What's puzzling to me is that the significantly less powerful 4 cylinder only rates at 35 hwy. Even considering it's city mileage of 24, there's not much disparity between the 2 engines in fuel economy, only in acceleration.
Old 04-21-2014 | 09:26 PM
Racer

hope production was the prototype... just need exhaust..
Old 04-22-2014 | 08:58 AM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by Goosew
I hope someone uses this as their sig.
@Goosew haha I'd be honored.

@a32tl The fuel economy numbers for the V6 are pretty decent. I too thought the i4 would be a little better. Perhaps it just has more aggressive gearing to keep the engine RPM in its powerband with that 8DCT over the CVT in the Accord. I'm fine with that however as long as its performance makes up for it.
Old 04-22-2014 | 09:05 AM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Can't believe we just went from asparagus cake to munching on children and impregnating wives. See? This is why Acura doesn't give a flip about our opinions - they probably think we're all insane.

"Hey, this guy has a pretty good idea. He... wait... wut?"
*closes browser*
But it's true! Have you seen a new Lexus GS F Sport come up on you in your rear view mirrior? It has this look that says get the f**k out of my way. The same goes for the Mercedes CLS. I saw one coming up behind me on the Parkway the other day and expected to get back home to find my fridge and garbage cans empty while my dog was pregnant. Acura has NOTHING in their stable that invokes this type of emotion with their vehicles.
Old 04-22-2014 | 09:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by a32tl
What's puzzling to me is that the significantly less powerful 4 cylinder only rates at 35 hwy. Even considering it's city mileage of 24, there's not much disparity between the 2 engines in fuel economy, only in acceleration.
It's probably about rpm at cruising speed, but with the 8DCT in the four cylinder version, I would have expected a very tall eighth gear that would have addressed this. Perhaps the engine's torque is so low for the car's weight that even the eighth gear can't be tall enough for low rpm cruising. Even so, the I4 version will probably beat EPA highway estimates, as they often do. In my TSX, I get about two more highway MPG than the EPA estimate.

Also, this is consistent with other marques, like BMW. The 335i's highway mileage isn't that much lower than the 328i's, despite the extra liter of displacement and additional 60 hp.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014 | 10:09 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

But it's true! Have you seen a new Lexus GS F Sport come up on you in your rear view mirrior? It has this look that says get the f**k out of my way. The same goes for the Mercedes CLS. I saw one coming up behind me on the Parkway the other day and expected to get back home to find my fridge and garbage cans empty while my dog was pregnant. Acura has NOTHING in their stable that invokes this type of emotion with their vehicles.
I hear what you are saying. 2 days ago I saw a white M3 coming at me in opposite traffic.

Tasteful aggressive styling; not overdone yet confident looking and displaying that air of arrogance. Add to that a totally awesome exhaust (not sure if OEM or aftermarket) and the M3 just silently screamed "Get the F out of my way."
Old 04-22-2014 | 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

How about an uncontrollable urge to vomit? The 4G TL certainly does invoke something.

Last edited by boe_d; 04-22-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2014 | 01:33 PM
Pro

I think much of our complaints would go away if Acura would follow the example of other manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and even Genesis by having some special modified "halo" versions of their models to generate some excitement. For example it didn't take long for the Genesis Sedan come out with some R-spec or other stupid name and the same for the Lexus F-type. Mercedes has had a wide variety of submodels within each model group for some time now (obviously AMG) and BMW has their M-models.

Acura has none of these--the S-type TL was really just a trim package as was the "special" California Edition 4th Gen TL.

Acura should get on the bandwagon and offer some "special" models that are more than just some trim package.
Old 04-22-2014 | 02:44 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I think much of our complaints would go away if Acura would follow the example of other manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and even Genesis by having some special modified "halo" versions of their models to generate some excitement. For example it didn't take long for the Genesis Sedan come out with some R-spec or other stupid name and the same for the Lexus F-type. Mercedes has had a wide variety of submodels within each model group for some time now (obviously AMG) and BMW has their M-models.

Acura has none of these--the S-type TL was really just a trim package as was the "special" California Edition 4th Gen TL.

Acura should get on the bandwagon and offer some "special" models that are more than just some trim package.
Agreed.

Supposedly the SH-AWD trim on the 4G TL is the "special"model due to its stiffer ride/suspension/larger engine. Not special enough though, esp when pitted against the M3. The 6MT models in general are higher performance than their auto counterparts (at least before the DCT models are introduced).

Tis the ONLY reason I have a 4G TL is b/c the 6MT trim is a different beast than its auto counterpart, and various reviews have it as a S4 competitor. If it weren't for the 6MT, I wouldn't be driving a 4G TL.

Acura tried to pass off the TSX 6MT as a "Special Edition" trim which is baloney b/c the engine/suspension is the same as that of the automatic version. Even worse the 4G TL's "California" or "A-Spec" is nothing more than a fancy badge and lettering.

Acura would be wise to bring the TLX GT into fruition. Imagine the positive press and attention it would gather. Even if it's only released in limited numbers it would carry enough halo power, enhance Acura's image, satisfy its fan base, and even draw new customers with disposable income into the showroom.
Old 04-22-2014 | 03:42 PM
Pro

Funny thing is that here in SoCal it is basically fantasyland when it comes to houses, cars, and lifestyle due to the skewed other universe economics of the area due primarily to the entertainment industry. Consequently it was not all that long ago when seeing some AMG Mercedes or M BMW was really somewhat rare and prestigious. It was those models that really called attention to the overall marques. These days though I think I see more AMG variants than most other models (except for the ubiquitous C250) and to get attention in the Los Angeles area you had better be driving around in the SLS AMG.
Old 04-22-2014 | 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

The thing that piss me off is that Acura HAD a success on their hand with the prototype and they threw it out!! I mean the RLX and ILX prototype weren't that well received...the RDX was and it has been a success!

So why does a company who has a success on their hand say....OK, that was great while it lasted now lets throw it out! I mean I didn't expect the single hub prototype wheels but the spoke design could have stayed as an option and MAYBE they will provide us with the bodykit, and they better, as it would be a shame to make such a sexy design slip through their hand!
Old 04-22-2014 | 04:58 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

As I have mostly owned MT Acuras it's frustrating to see all these resources spent on advanced automatic drivetrains, and no TLX manual esp since Honda makes some of the best manuals in the world.

I do wish the TLX success as more sales may bring a future model (or coupe) I can get excited about but their styling's so forgettable now and always just more SUV boxes and four 'dores'. I'm almost looking fondly at the 4G TL. I like some uniqueness and sport in a design.

It's hard being an Acura MT coupe lover. ugh.
still shiftin'...
Old 04-23-2014 | 09:16 PM
Pro

I'd like to see a Type S with a supercharger and the body kit from the prototype.
Old 04-29-2014 | 09:48 PM
Drifting

If it hasn't already been mentioned, power adjustable steering wheel. If it has, sorry for the repeat.
Old 04-29-2014 | 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Treblig
If it hasn't already been mentioned, power adjustable steering wheel. If it has, sorry for the repeat.
That would be a good one. I'm not optimistic however.
Old 04-30-2014 | 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
I'd like to see a Type S with a supercharger and the body kit from the prototype.
Id rather have the Twin Turbo from the Vapor ware NSX
Old 04-30-2014 | 10:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Treblig
Is this like the Variable Gearing Ratio on the Lexus or powered telescopic adjustment of the steering wheel?

I'm just throwing things up in the air, hoping Acura/Honda will take notice!
Old 04-30-2014 | 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by internalaudit
I'm just throwing things up in the air, hoping Acura/Honda will take notice!
They wouldn't know how to do it even if stared them right in the face....The prototype is a good example! They had it right in front of them and managed to pooch the production version
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014 | 07:10 PM
Racer

Wait...No power adjustable steering wheal? It better have 3 stage heated and a/c seats in front and 2 stage heated in the back. i would also like an adjustable display like in the cadi xts, corvette, gc srt...
Old 05-03-2014 | 11:28 AM
Drifting

In looking at the interior shots which show doors that lack the 'European-style' grab handles with that 45 degree upward angle, I think I would miss those grab handles. Sounds superficial, but most of my cars have had those style handles and I find myself holding mine when using the arm rest. The doors have that old 'Buick' look now when even the new Buick Regal has the slanted grab handles. The Accord has had them also for a very long time and still does in the 2014 model.

The other thing missing is more details on the TLX- I would expect at this stage to have photos similar to the current TL at Acura's web site. This car is just 3 months away from being in dealerships and I would think that many of the interior/exterior decisions are made, and exterior/interior parts have been created. Seems like have a 360 degree interior view widget wouldn't be asking too much at this stage of the game.

I had to check the Buick web site to verify my grab handle hunch and I have to say Buick has a very helpful web site on showing the features of their cars. Acura could improve its web site if if followed Buick and other car companies examples.
Old 05-03-2014 | 07:01 PM
Azine Jabroni

Build the production model. Those side mirror lights were fantastic.
Old 05-03-2014 | 08:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Build the production model. Those side mirror lights were fantastic.
They ARE building the production model

(i'm guessing you meant prototype)
Old 05-03-2014 | 09:37 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by Goosew
They ARE building the production model

(i'm guessing you meant prototype)
Acura, do what I mean, not what I say.
Old 05-17-2014 | 09:36 AM
Racer

Dump the beak!
Would love the CA studio to design a car that doesnt follow the same boring mode of the previous 4G TL. a evolutionary one of the 3G would still look fresh.
I think Infinti and Lexus have fallen into a rut too...
290hp/290tq Earth Dreams Turbo 4 with SHAWD
325hp at least with the 3.5 V-6
Lose 150-200# vs the Accord, bring some lighter weight materials for Acura model

i know none of these are revelations....

Last edited by Hugh9269; 05-17-2014 at 09:38 AM.