What would you change about the new TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014 | 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

What would you change about the new TLX?

I was curious what things you would change (within reason)? If you could do one line at a time or bullet point them, it will be easier for me to create a survey next time.

Within reason (not sure if these are in the new model - just giving examples - showing tailpipes, folding mirrors, airconditioned seats etc...

Beyond reason - Dual Twin Turbo 850 HP, hidden howitzer...
Old 04-19-2014 | 06:49 PM
Drifting

1. Rims like the prototype's - this will completely upgrade the the car significantly

2. LED strip fog light just like the prototype's

3. More interesting exterior colours - yes, I want that Athletic Red!!!

4. Options for different interior trim - for those of us who don't appreciate that "mature" look, some real metal trim pieces instead of that wood would be much appreciated.

5. Heated steering wheel!!! Maybe this is already an option? Or maybe it is standard on some Canadian models already, just like the 2014 MDX?

I think that all these are pretty doable, right? If Acura does not want to spend money on these as standard features, at least give us an option to purchase them, just like what the German premium brands do, right!?
Old 04-19-2014 | 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Exactly. Sometimes just a few little things that you really notice in a car. They can do 100 things right but if they get just a few wrong it makes all the difference.
Old 04-19-2014 | 07:23 PM
Drifting

Make it the prototype

Add HUD

Replace the missing horsepower

Last edited by Treblig; 04-19-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2014 | 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

ALL of Ostrich's list + the HUD from Treblig. I would have not needed the extra power....

Oh and fix that center stack and put it back where it belongs.....
Old 04-19-2014 | 07:58 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

all the above + LED flashing lights..
Old 04-19-2014 | 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Reasonable: allow a HUD option to be competitive with other brands. I really want this.
Tech package should have everything in current Advance package - value pricing. Value and reliability is why I buy Acura over the germans.
Advance package would have the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD. I used to be so hopeful that the rumored sport hybrid SH-AWD was for the TL. Scrap the RLX, also scrap the regen braking for the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD for the TL since every test drive I read did not like the brake feel.
7 speed manual transmission with Launch control mode (I know, impossible dream).
Old 04-19-2014 | 08:40 PM
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by boe_d
Beyond reason - Dual Twin Turbo 850 HP, hidden howitzer...
Plus super-boost Nitro tail-pipes - Passenger rocket chair without parachute - 1000 Lbs of the current weight, nevertheless depleted uranium body armor is a must to keep the super German mosquitoes behind your...
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:09 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Bring back the prototype styling.

The exterior styling of the prototype was aggressive but not over the top. Nice looking under headlights LEDs, cool side view mirrors, aggressive front, and decent rear end. When I saw the prototype I thought "Nice looking car."

When I saw the production model, I thought "Ugh, looks like a smaller RLX and kind of bland." Everything that made the prototype visually exciting was thrown out the windows

It's kind of sad the TLX hasn't even been released yet and we are already talking about what changes to make already.

Here's hoping the V6-SHAWD model is more interesting to look at.
The following users liked this post:
jayunsplanet (05-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:19 PM
Drifting

I'll let ya know after I've seen it in person and driven it as well as seen the pricing. As for now it's got everything I need, I think. I just wish the styling weren't quite so subdued vs. the prototype's.
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docboy
It's kind of sad the TLX hasn't even been released yet and we are already talking about what changes to make already.
I consider it a very good thing. When Vista and Win 8 were in beta testing there was a TON of feedback (slowness, should have had a choice of menus) but Ballmer refused to listen. So they are some of the most reviled versions of Windows even though the information was readily available on how to fix them. Here the information is available - doubtful Acura will listen but if a source like Edmunds, c&D, motortrend etc beat Acura up enough they might pay attention.
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

I just have a couple of things I feel could be used to improve the TLX but most have been said before:

1) Integrated Exhaust into Bumper (Like the ZDX, Lexus GS, etc. Not how they were on the 4G TL or 3G MDX). I feel this would make the rear of the TLX more interesting and less bland.

2) Metal Interior Trim (While I don't mind the "wood" in my MDX, the TLX is supposed to be a sporty car. Wood trim (real or fake) just doesn't seem sporty to me.)

3) More Interior Color Choices (really dig the Red interior of BMW's and Lexus vehicles).

4) Better Rims although I don't mind the ones on silver TLX (the first picture on Acura's TLX website). I think those look nice but all the other wheels are just horrible.

5) Krell Audio available. I love a good sound system but ELS is very good as well so this is one of those "nice to haves".

6) HUD

7) Fog Lights like Concept. This can be done as I have seen something similar on newer C-classes.

Like I said, many of these have been said before but its what I think would make the TLX a home run.
Old 04-19-2014 | 10:48 PM
Pro

Difficult to say without having driven it, but I'll play:

1. more aggressive look, and if that arrives on an S-Type, fine with me;

2. more power and torque from the I4 (just get the VTEC turbo on line ASAP, OK?); and

3. A FREAKIN' MANUAL TRANSMISSION DAMMIT! (I'll admit the 8DCT has me really curious though. It might be fun.)

I actually think the TLX is going to be a hit for Acura, as most consumers won't get worked up about some of the details we're obsessed about here. It looks like they improved several important areas that do matter, like road noise and lackluster AT's. I also expect some more enthusiast-friendly variants will emerge after the mainstream versions are established in the market.
Old 04-19-2014 | 11:21 PM
Racer

It looks like they're trying to make the TLX look more like a compact executive car rather than a sports sedan. As far as changes, I'd stop this trend of blending in the performance features across the board, and separate them out again, so that there's an explicit "base" model, and an explicit "sport" or "performance" model. They put an SH-AWD badge and nicer wheels on the car and try to pass it off as a "sport" model, but that doesn't cut it for me. I don't see any other non-American luxury brand doing what Acura is doing (correct me if I'm wrong).

Every time I come across one of these threads asking for what I'd like to see in the TLX, I find that I always end up describing this:

So maybe I'll just list features that I'd add to it that I'd like to see in a sport trim of the TLX:

- As described above, a fuel-saver mode

- That engine start-stop feature better be optional, or if not, it better be buttery-smooth...better yet, get rid of it in the sport model

- An actual shift knob, with semi-automatic (I like the setup in the BMW M5) and manual transmission options

- Rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive options

- 300 HP minimum

- Gas mileage: 20 city/30 highway minimum (BMW M5 at 500+ HP gets 14/20...sure it's not the same car, but surely at least 20/30 is achievable in 2014 with 300 HP, especially for a Honda)

- Exclusive rims on the level of the current Type-S or better

And for non-sport model-specific features:

- Google Maps-based navigation system, that would work seamlessly with my Android

- Bluetooth audio (check?)

- Push button start/smart key access (check)

- All LED lighting, including headlights (I like the projector setup better than the JewelEye, like the ones on the Q50). There's no reason to be using filament-based bulbs in 2014. We need to move on.

- Exterior sensory equipment that comes standard in the luxury brands nowadays (blind spot, proximity, rain-sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, lane drifting, emergency stop)

- Go back to the 4G or 3G steering wheel
Old 04-20-2014 | 12:12 AM
Drifting

We could all get carried away here but I'll try to keep it mild with feasible or more realistic expectations, considering none of us have really driven or experienced much of anything with the vehicle. Not saying anyone hasn't done so but these threads can get rather silly.

-Realistically speaking, the RLX's 310 hp version, but stretching it a bit and even more than that or sport trim above.

-A 7MT but settle for 6MT.

-Another interior trim option other than that wood and it's tone. Maybe a grayish looking one with black and white grain or texture for some interior colors or even just a silver metal look trim. Just different options here even if it only goes with each interior color and you can't actually chose the trim but only the interior color.

-Not a deal breaker but maybe a bit more rear bias of SH or an option for more even in normal or more mild situations, maybe tied into the select-able drive mode and they may have already taken these steps with the extra over-dive of the rear wheels, VSA/AHA, weight savings and suspension settings, but incorporation of something to counter the unsettling handling character when you do have to lift off throttle mid turn. That's more of the reasons why I would say a little more bias at times, not really that it needs it at other times because the system generally acts accordingly minus that one exception.

-Phone integration that favored Android and not Apple or both equally.

List would likely grow after time with one but that's most of it as far as major things for me go from what I can tell and expect.
Old 04-20-2014 | 08:21 AM
Intermediate

* get rid of exposed cup holders
* integrate exhaust in rear facia
* more HP
* increase opening with rear seats down

Overall, I like the exterior. Wish it was a little more aggressive and less like a baby RLX.
Old 04-20-2014 | 08:46 AM
My first ricer

Even Hyundai's V6 in the Genesis has 55 more HP...290 seems like nothing these days.
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

bla8291....It is hard to imagine that the same company who delivered us the TL Type-S in the photo you posted gave us the TLX. How can car design being over 6 years old looks so sexy still!! Thanks for posting and making me drool
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:32 AM
Pro

-All the accents of the prototype
-More exterior/interior color options/combinations
-No exposed cupholders
-A real shift knob with semiautomatic function
-A dual clutch without a torque converter
-320-330hp with 300lbft of torque

Yes Acura, I just told you what the Type-S should be

edit: how the heck did I forget tailpipes. Yes. We want pipes. One shiny one on each side

Last edited by TheAcAvenger; 04-20-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:33 AM
Instructor

I don't plan to buy one anymore after seeing the production version.

I just do not see 50k worth of value in this vehicle for the top of the line model.
weather (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014 | 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
bla8291....It is hard to imagine that the same company who delivered us the TL Type-S in the photo you posted gave us the TLX. How can car design being over 6 years old looks so sexy still!! Thanks for posting and making me drool
I still drool at mine every day, lol. My folks insist that I bankrupted myself getting this car because of how new it looks, even though I keep telling them otherwise.

But yeah, really hard to believe it's the same company. Pretty much all the big auto brands have a dedicated performance trim line, so why can't Acura do the same? Keep the Type-S name, or name it something else. Like that I think people would buy the shit out of them. The ILX looks nice as it is currently. A sportier version of it would look really nice. Give the Lexus IS F-Sport a run for its money.
The following 2 users liked this post by bla8291:
mylove4cars (04-20-2014), weather (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014 | 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by insanik
I don't plan to buy one anymore after seeing the production version.

I just do not see 50k worth of value in this vehicle for the top of the line model.
50K is definitely more than I would want to pay. Pushing me towards the Accord Hybrid - with the state and federal incentives it is cheaper than the standard model.
Old 04-20-2014 | 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

bla8291
Love the pic of the 3G type S.....very nice looking ride.
Old 04-20-2014 | 12:37 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Originally Posted by boe_d
I consider it a very good thing. When Vista and Win 8 were in beta testing there was a TON of feedback (slowness, should have had a choice of menus) but Ballmer refused to listen. So they are some of the most reviled versions of Windows even though the information was readily available on how to fix them. Here the information is available - doubtful Acura will listen but if a source like Edmunds, c&D, motortrend etc beat Acura up enough they might pay attention.
Microsoft listens to its consumers, as you mentioned, evident by releases of its Win 8.1, Xbox One game sharing issues, etc.... And they are pretty quick about the patches/fixes as well.

Acura is too bone headed and stubborn. Takes them YEARS to do anything, if at all. The polarizing beak for example: 2009 it was introduced in the 4G TL. Wasn't until 2012 did they "tame" the beak. And even still today, 2014 the beak is there.

If history play its course, we will probably not see any desirable changes of major significance/consumer-wants until the 6G TLX. And even then....
Old 04-20-2014 | 02:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by quantum7
bla8291
Love the pic of the 3G type S.....very nice looking ride.
I love it too. Not my pic, but it may as well be, since I have the same car.
Old 04-20-2014 | 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bla8291
I still drool at mine every day, lol. My folks insist that I bankrupted myself getting this car because of how new it looks, even though I keep telling them otherwise.

But yeah, really hard to believe it's the same company. Pretty much all the big auto brands have a dedicated performance trim line, so why can't Acura do the same? Keep the Type-S name, or name it something else. Like that I think people would buy the shit out of them. The ILX looks nice as it is currently. A sportier version of it would look really nice. Give the Lexus IS F-Sport a run for its money.

I agree that Acura should reintroduce the Type-S performance versions to their models. I would love to see an ILX Type-S with a turbo 4 producing between 230hp - 240hp and would also love to see a TLX V6 Type-S producing between 330hp - 340hp. If they would commit themselves to the Type-S name again and produce versions in the ILX and TLX, I think it would do wonders for their image and their sales.

I imagine and fantasize about the TLX Type-S resembling the prototype version with some amazing performance figures. With 330hp - 340hp, they could pull some 0-60 times in the 4.7 second range. Have the car get 19/29 miles per gallon. Price it within reach of the top tier TLX SH-AWD Advance and sell the fool out of them. Besides being a hot car, it would give a much needed jolt of "badass" image to Acura. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 04-20-2014 | 05:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by a32tl
I agree that Acura should reintroduce the Type-S performance versions to their models. I would love to see an ILX Type-S with a turbo 4 producing between 230hp - 240hp and would also love to see a TLX V6 Type-S producing between 330hp - 340hp. If they would commit themselves to the Type-S name again and produce versions in the ILX and TLX, I think it would do wonders for their image and their sales.

I imagine and fantasize about the TLX Type-S resembling the prototype version with some amazing performance figures. With 330hp - 340hp, they could pull some 0-60 times in the 4.7 second range. Have the car get 19/29 miles per gallon. Price it within reach of the top tier TLX SH-AWD Advance and sell the fool out of them. Besides being a hot car, it would give a much needed jolt of "badass" image to Acura. Keep your fingers crossed.
I'm sure someone at Acura Corporate lurks on these forums,.....

.......so, THIS!!
Old 04-20-2014 | 05:28 PM
vbx
Instructor

I gave up on Acura. I thought the TLX would be something new and fresh. Instead, it's a 3G rear with a 4G front.

I would start from scratch and come up with something more sporty. If Acura is trying to make a statement, they need a complete redesign. The TLX looks no better than the Accord.
Old 04-20-2014 | 05:30 PM
Instructor

Acura needs to bring back a revamped RSX
Old 04-20-2014 | 05:36 PM
Racer

^ I agree with that.
Old 04-20-2014 | 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Love the white TL/TLX

Originally Posted by bla8291
I love it too. Not my pic, but it may as well be, since I have the same car.
I have a 2007 TL (non S) and I love it....I have only owned Acuras since 1988. I still think that it looks great. I am still up in the air about the TLX, although the white pic posted in another thread looks good. Looks like Weather and I are all about the white color. Just need to see in person and test drive to see if it wins me over.
weather (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014 | 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Goosew
I'm sure someone at Acura Corporate lurks on these forums,.....

.......so, THIS!!
Even if they lurk, I think they lack the INTELLIGENCE to comprehend what they need to bring the sales number back up! It blows my mind that they say they want to re-inject life into the brand and yet, the only thing that comes to mind is LIFE-SUPPORT!
Old 04-20-2014 | 07:33 PM
a77
Racer

have the option to delete all the nanny safety stuff, and the leather and then have alcantera seats, manual tranny, no touch screen, add heated steering wheel otherwise, add visible exhausts, and all the other stuff my base TSX has...hang on...this what my TSX is already more or less. .we need an accord sport version at the low end. And a type S at the top.

and a krell option throughout.
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LOL, in other words, they should make a different car.
Old 04-21-2014 | 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docboy
Microsoft listens to its consumers, as you mentioned, evident by releases of its Win 8.1.
Microsoft listens the way Acura listens. They drop a deuce in the open and then when people complain about the way it stinks, they put sawdust on it and claim the smell is gone. What MS and Acura need to do is ask for some direction as they obviously are lost. There was plenty of feedback during the trial of Win8 that the metro wasn't getting it done for most people with keyboards and mice. Then in 8.1 they put the start button back but it doesn't bring you to a start menu, it still brings you to the f'n god awful tile menu. It it wasn't for mods, 8 would be about as popular as Win ME.

Acura could have been listening for years on forums like this, to C&D, Motor... etc. They didn't and surprise surprise, there is a lot of less than kind comments. I realize you can't please everyone but if the majority say that the cake tastes better without asparagus, it is time to change the recipe that has asparagas.
Old 04-21-2014 | 04:40 PM
Racer

LOL. Where do you come up with this stuff!.
Old 04-21-2014 | 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

For me it would have to be

-More powerful engine
- A sport model that distinguishes it from the other models like 3G TypeS
- I dont remember seeing any exhaust pipes also?
Old 04-21-2014 | 08:03 PM
Volvo Defector

I held onto my 3G TL because the 4G was a step in the wrong direction. Ill be in the market later this year as my certified preowned extended warranty will be nearing its expiration so im a potential customer.
Heres what I want:
1) Competitative performance numbers on base model against BMW 328, Audi A4, new C class. It doesnt have to BEAT the 328, but come close with better fuel economy is OK. Same for higher trim against 335, S4, C350. I dont CARE how many HP it has, as long as the performance is comparable. High revving Type S version of the i4 would be awesome with a tuned intake, exhaust, ecu, brembo brakes, and tighter suspension. Maybe use that new 2.0L turbo from europe with the 8DCT.
2) Starting price where TSX left off around $32-33k for base model.
3) Fuel economy numbers are 24/35mpg i4 21/34 v6 these are pretty decent. CLA gets up to 38mpg but ILX is more comparable to that size so thats a whole other convo on the mess of a powertrain the ILX is.
4) DONT make the car look bland. Thats how you got into this mess in the first place. Make it look mean and aggressive. When I see a newer BMW, Q50, Mercedes, Lexus with those LED running lights in my rear view mirror its intimidating because it looks like the car wants to munch on small children while impregnanting your wife. The production TLX looks like it wants to take you out for milk and cookies.
Old 04-21-2014 | 08:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by reddogTL
.......... its intimidating because it looks like the car wants to munch on small children while impregnanting your wife.
I hope someone uses this as their sig.
Old 04-21-2014 | 08:47 PM
Drifting

Can't believe we just went from asparagus cake to munching on children and impregnating wives. See? This is why Acura doesn't give a flip about our opinions - they probably think we're all insane.

"Hey, this guy has a pretty good idea. He... wait... wut?"
*closes browser*

Quick Reply: What would you change about the new TLX?