What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What should I get?

My wife is having our first kid and I need a larger car. There really has been nothing out there that excites me though as a daily driver. I have an 07 Mazda 3 hatch right now that I love. Handles extremely well, is not a beast with power but extremely nimble with the lightweight wheels and ultra performance summer tires I have on it. Just too small of a back seat and it is getting up near 200k miles now.

I really would have preferred to stick with Mazda, but they are unfortunately focusing a ton on cars that handle well but really do not have take your breath away power. We bought a 2016 Subaru Outback for my wife, with the 3.6 liter flat 6 engine, and that thing really hauls. Compared to my current car, that thing feels like a rocket ship. Handles like the 10" ground clearance lifted crossover it is though.

I thought I would just buy some used generic family sedan for now while I wait for better options, but she had an offer from Acura to come test drive a car and get a gift card. So we test drove a V6 TLX. I liked it well enough, but I was not blown away by any means. It definitely had power (I think it is rated about 290 HP) but the version I tested did not have the Honda SH-AWD system. Many of the features were carried over from the used Honda Accord Touring I had previously test driven. It kind of felt like a luxury Accord with all wheel drive basically. The shifter was funny though, and the absurd 9 speed transmission has been dinged by just about everyone that reviewed it. I know a CVT would have eaten up the performance a bit, but it almost seems like they might as well have just used a CVT instead. I didnt notice a major transmission issue during the test drive, but I also didnt drive it like I stole it like I usually do with my own car.

Recently I looked into Ford and found the new Fusion sport has so much power and all the same features basically for about 5k less than a similarly equipped Acura. I plan to test drive one this weekend hopefully. I drive my Mazda basically like a go-kart with a high revving engine. I know a larger family sedan simply would not be on the same level, but I dont want to have to compromise THAT much. I also dont want to shell out a ton for an S4 or a 5-series or a Lexus GS.

Can anyone comment on the real world handling and cornering of the TLX? Is the steering tight and responsive when pushed hard? Is there good steering feedback? We already have the Subaru that can push you back into your seat in a straight line. I want something that can push you back into your seat and then sweep into a corner without feeling like the car might roll over. I really dont care about appearance, I have seen a ton of gripes about the lack of exposed exhaust pipes on the TLX. That really makes no difference to me. I am not buying a car because it is "luxury" or to make any kind of impression with anyone. I am buying a car for the experience I have driving it day to day. At the same time, I dont want to have to spend well north of $45k for any car that is going to be a daily driver just to get what I want. I am looking for the most bang for my buck.

Also, I would not get the standard wheel and tire package on the TLX. The tires from the factory are criminally bad. I would opt for the 19" wheel package with tires picked by me rather than the dealer. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Mazda with a lightweight wheel package. I would probably opt to get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for the TLX if I go that route.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (08-06-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Fusion Titanium
Old 08-03-2016, 02:57 PM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm sure some TLX owners will chime in with answers to your questions, but look at the 2016 Toyota Avalon Touring (not a XLE or XLE Plus) as a potential ride. I just picked one up two weeks ago and it wasn't even on my radar before then. Huge interior and has a 286 hp V6 with plenty of power. Really loving it so far. Very underrated. Definitely not your Grandpas Avalon. It has the Eco, Normal and Sport driving modes with paddle shifters. Sticker was $38,110 and they came down to $32,234 before my trade and down payment.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Avalon to me would be a marshmallow compared to TLX. The SH-AWD handles very well and no need for the wheel package, just replace the rubber. I went with Continetal DWS-06 and love them, car is awesome wet or dry. I had Michelin A/S 3 on my Audi and they were done at 17K normal driving. Others have same issue with the Michelin, also the DWS-06 is about 30% less. Now for the 9 speed I hate it, but I have a 15, some say the 16 is far better, but I find it hard to believe as even on its best day it can be laggy and hunt for gears. Also I am not digging the infotainment, but that is me. To me the TLX materials are better than Fusion, but not by huge amounts. If you are going to look at a Fusion, go look at Kia Optima 2.0T Limited it has more features than TLX and its infotainment is highly rated and has CarPlay and Android Auto. Has all the safety features and. 360 all around view camera.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 378 Posts
The Optima SXL is not going to impress you when pushed hard. Its just not, but the entertainment and the design upgrades like, seats, lights, chrome trim, tech and safety features are fun and not as confusing as double screen. But if you need handling go with the TLX. Coupled with the 19s it's a great looking daily driver.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
If you're looking for a sporty, somewhat performance-oriented sedan, look elsewhere. That ship sailed with the end of the 4G TL AWD. From what it sounds like, the TLX's driving experience will leave you disappointed. The SH-AWD TLX loaner I had for a month handled very well and is one of the best qualities of the car, but I'm still satisfied with the PAWS system in my FWD.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 PM
shenanigans

Originally Posted by KeithL
Avalon to me would be a marshmallow compared to TLX.
Before I actually drove the 2016 Avalon Touring I assumed the same thing too. I was very surprised.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudguy
but really do not have take your breath away power.
In a nice sized car maybe $50K might be enough to buy the power you want. The old quick 5.2/5.5 has been replaced by the current quick 4.2/4.8 to 60mph. As for handling regardless of what you get in the reasonable sized family package with good optional tires you might push 6/10's of its capability on the street.

Have not driven an Avalon V6 touring but size wise (car seat & baby stuff) & top end creature comfort features (Think Lexus ES350) its about the best you can do for under $40K.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-05-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM
shenanigans

Here is my car. Great value for $32K IMO.
Attached Thumbnails What should I get?-my-car-1.jpg  
Old 08-06-2016, 04:05 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I have a 2015 PAWS V6 Advance. Stock tires. For a mid size family 4 door it handles very well. The thing that lets the 2015 down is the transmission. I drive fairly aggressively and when I hit the gas to help power out of a turn, you just never know when the power is going to come on. It is REALLY annoying. Sometimes the power comes when you want, but normally it comes a second or so late. If you were looking for a 2016 or 17 this may be fixed. But stay away from a 2015 if you want this kind of sporty driving experience.

But except for the tranny I like the car. The tranny is pretty much a deal breaker.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
I enjoy my TLX. It's not the best sports sedan out there but for price point it's a fun car to drive. I run the Michelin pilot super sports and they do well on the TLX

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I drive fairly aggressively and when I hit the gas to help power out of a turn, you just never know when the power is going to come on. It is REALLY annoying. Sometimes the power comes when you want, but normally it comes a second or so late. If you were looking for a 2016 or 17 this may be fixed. But stay away from a 2015 if you want this kind of sporty driving experience.

But except for the tranny I like the car. The tranny is pretty much a deal breaker.

I don't get this.... Have you not tried down shifting? I murder corners all day in sport+

Last edited by BeezleTL85; 08-06-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
My current ride does 0-60 in under 7 seconds whereas my old vehicle ran 10... I have to say I miss the kickdowns and WOT pulls... slow/car/fast!!!

Really, look at the Q50 Sport... Or a GS-F if the Acura did t really impress you...

But hey Mazda, throw the new CX-9 turbo in the 6 and 3, where it belongs!!!
Old 08-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
What about a loaded Civic Touring with the 1.5 Turbo? Gets from 0-60 according to C & D in 6.8 seconds:

2016 Honda Civic Sedan 1.5L Turbo Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Here's the detailed Alex on Autos video review:

Old 08-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I will start by simply saying - Rely on your own homework and test drives. For the most part, people recommend the same selection they made...no surprise there. Many of us want to convince others we made the right choice and hope they make the same one. As far as my advice on options:
  • All the cars recommended here are good vehicles with lots of plusses and a few minuses;
  • When someone suggests another car sucks to justify their own choice...well, avoid that advice like the plague;
  • The transmission on the 16/17 TLX SH_AWD 3.5 is much improved over the 15 version, the initial TLX that I owned and enjoyed for the most part. SH_AWD is excellent for handling and sure footedness, but then so is the PAWS on my 2.4 TLX.
  • If several vehicles meet your selection criteria..and they will...besides price, I would always consider dealership experience and service. My loyalty to Acura is as much due to customer service from sales, parts, and service, as it is for products. When there are problems, and there usually will be, at some point, it's all about how they get solved. I never worry in that regard.
Anyhow, enjoy the hunt.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:58 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
I enjoy my TLX. It's not the best sports sedan out there but for price point it's a fun car to drive. I run the Michelin pilot super sports and they do well on the TLX

I don't get this.... Have you not tried down shifting? I murder corners all day in sport+
I don't want to drive the car in Sport + mode, I want it to shift properly on its own. Driving all the time in Sport + is just not my style of driving.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Avalon to me would be a marshmallow compared to TLX. The SH-AWD handles very well and no need for the wheel package, just replace the rubber. I went with Continetal DWS-06 and love them, car is awesome wet or dry. I had Michelin A/S 3 on my Audi and they were done at 17K normal driving. Others have same issue with the Michelin, also the DWS-06 is about 30% less. Now for the 9 speed I hate it, but I have a 15, some say the 16 is far better, but I find it hard to believe as even on its best day it can be laggy and hunt for gears. Also I am not digging the infotainment, but that is me. To me the TLX materials are better than Fusion, but not by huge amounts. If you are going to look at a Fusion, go look at Kia Optima 2.0T Limited it has more features than TLX and its infotainment is highly rated and has CarPlay and Android Auto. Has all the safety features and. 360 all around view camera.
I'm seconding the tires thing. I put on BFGoodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S on my TLX SH-AWD and it is night and day. The thing handles very well now. The stock tires are just awful.

To the OP, my '16 doesn't really hunt for gears, but it does shift a lot because there are 9 of them. Individual upshifts and downshifts are pretty fast (1 gear up or down). Downshifts from 9 to 4 take some time though (1.5 sec or so). Make sure you're test driving it in Sport mode and see if you like how it feels. If not, go drive something else.

I would test drive a number of different cars, especially on the same day. See if you like anything Infiniti has to offer as well. In my experience, the Kia Optima is a good car for commuting, but the handling and steering felt sloppy/unrefined.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:48 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
My wife drives a 2015 Outback 3.6R as well. I recently hopped into a 2016 TLX myself. Love, love, love the car. The stock Goodyear LS2 tires is a decent touring tire (i.e. comfortable and quiet) but to echo the sentiments that have been already stated, the grip and handling is average at best. I plan to replace the stock tires one day but I don't wait to waste a perfectly good set of tires at this point. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 seems to be a popular choice and is probably what I would go with if I were replacing today.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First kid? Well, I'd suggest go for something bigger, minimum a CR-V. You're going to need the space, believe me. And with a baby on board the least you'll worry about will be hauling ass or sporty feeling. Safety is now your main concern. Safety + Practicality. Your life is about to turn 180 degrees when your baby arrives... Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Medjai
First kid? Well, I'd suggest go for something bigger, minimum a CR-V. You're going to need the space, believe me. And with a baby on board the least you'll worry about will be hauling ass or sporty feeling. Safety is now your main concern. Safety + Practicality. Your life is about to turn 180 degrees when your baby arrives... Congratulations and enjoy!
Do you really need to haul that many diapers and accessories for 1 baby? When I was growing up (2 brothers plus me), we all sat in the back of a Chrysler Intrepid.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:47 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
These car seats and strollers (especially one that can haul two kids at once - I have a daughter and son that are close in age) are massive and is half the reason I got rid of my 2016 WRX for the roomier TLX.