What do you find appealing about the TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you find appealing about the TLX?

Before I start, let me make one thing very clear. This thread is not meant to bash folks that have the TLX, but more get inside their line of thinking.

I have had my 2005 TL since 2005 and have taken good care of it but I decided to look into something new. I haven't seen a single TLX around my massive workplace even though many salaries are able of supporting cars of that price range.

So I went to the Acura dealer to test the new TLX and possibly by one that day. They had the exact color and leather combo I wanted which is dangerous because every time I've ever bought a car that has been the exact scenario.

The first thing I noticed was the price, MSRP has raised over 10 grand in 10 years. I guess this might be normal and it was in my price range so I swallowed that ok.

I went on the test drive and I instantly found distaste in the interior center stack design with the navi and touch screen. I had the SH-AWD version so I expected some fun driving but it was bland and boring to me. The exterior design was ok, but nothing that amazed me. I put it into Sport + mode and the salesman told me to hold on to my hat, but that too was disappointing with the V6. Not as peppy as I would have expected at all. I believe (Could be wrong) that my 05 TL has more giddy up.

So I couldn't find one reason to spring for 40 some grand other than having a new vehicle and renewed reliability. You guys can find my older posts on here, so you can see my 05 TL is very nice. I just couldn't go from zero car payment and no significant maintenance issues to a 40+ grand drop in the savings account or a several hundred dollar month payment.

I say all of this not to insult those who drive TLX's but to ask, what am I missing? What excites you about the car? Am I missing something? I have since went to Infiniti and found the Q50 more appealing to me (except I dislike the shifter and wish they put acura's cool push button shift system in there).
Old 10-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Tail lights
Dual Screen (being touch screen)
Street names in instrument cluster
Old 10-01-2015, 04:50 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand your point. I have had a 2003,2005,2012 TL and now a ats awd 3.6. ANd although the look of the TL is not so bad, i think there is some lack of passion. My ATS is a lot of fun to drive, the engine sound is amazing. It s not a perfect car, the suspension is hard, it s a smaller car etc.., but the fun to drive factor is here. I change every two or three years, and i think i will take a tlx for reliability (i drive a lot now), but not for the fun
Old 10-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
For me it's the price, comfort and quietness. If money was no object of course i would go with the fully loaded german counterparts or maybe the gs350 fsport. The tlx to me is the jack of all trades. Not great at 1 thing but good at everything, and thats what i want in a daily driver.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
It's simply not for you, nothing wrong with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by advan031:
2012wagon (10-01-2015), ggesq (10-02-2015), Stew4HD (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Besides the led headlights, improved ride quality over my 3G Tl. I love the new Navi interface. I use Acuralink and search from my phone and/or PC and send the address to the TLX.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
For me it's the price, comfort and quietness. If money was no object of course i would go with the fully loaded german counterparts or maybe the gs350 fsport. The tlx to me is the jack of all trades. Not great at 1 thing but good at everything, and thats what i want in a daily driver.
Pretty much the same here.

If you want passion and excitement, the TLX might not be for you. And there is, of course, nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
How do you send the address from your phone to the car?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
You need to pay to subscribe to the AcuraLink Connect Package ($159/1yr, $259/2yr and $359/3yr). The will give you a free 90 day trial period when you sign up and give them a credit card to bill to. To send the address from you phone you install the Acura Connect app. In that app you can search as you would in google by name, address etc.. The app will then show you the choices based on your search. Once you find the address you want you can "send it to your phone" by slicking a button in the app. After it's been sent you can go to the second routing screen on your TLX's navigation screen and select it from the additional POI tab on the screen. You can also also do the same thing from you PC by going to https://acuralink.acura.com.

There are also many other features available with this paid subscription. I know it costs a little bit but I really like the added features.

Copied for the Acuralink webpage.

AcuraLink Connect Package Features
Bring Your Acura Fully Online

Vehicles equipped with AcuraLink The Next Generation feature an onboard, wireless device that supports two way data and voice transmission. When you subscribe to the Connect* package, the AcuraLink system transforms your vehicle into a digital hub you can access from virtually any smartphone, tablet or computer.

AcuraLink Connect App and Website

Did you forget to lock your doors? You don’t have to walk to the garage to find out. Just log into a virtual version of your vehicle and lock the doors remotely. It’s just one of the many things you can do from virtually anywhere with the new Connect app and website.

The AcuraLink Connect App Includes:
A virtual dashboard that lets you check your odometer, fuel level and tire pressure status, plus run diagnostics
A virtual key that lets you lock or unlock the doors, flash the headlights and sound the horn
One touch assistance that can summon a tow truck or an emergency response
A message center where you can receive information from Acura and schedule service
A digital owner’s manual with complete, searchable information about your vehicle

Cloud-Based Navigation*

With an active Connect subscription, your vehicle’s navigation system gains a new, cloud-based dimension. You can even access your vehicle’s maps using the smartphone in your pocket or the computer in your office. You can search for destinations, plot a route then send them to your vehicle’s onboard navigation system.

Live, In-Vehicle Voice Assistance*

Roadside assistance and emergency response are on call at all times. Press the Link button in your vehicle for non-emergency assistance from a live AcuraLink concierge agent, 24 hours a day. Press the "Assist" button for emergency assistance. The AcuraLink system is designed to alert a live agent, who will attempt to contact you through the vehicle’s cellular transceiver. If you do not respond, he or she will contact local emergency responders, provide your vehicle’s GPS location, and request that first responders be dispatched to your location. Smartphone users can monitor emergency response through the Roadside app, including arrival time and communications with emergency personnel. (Cellular connection required.)

Automatic Emergency Response*

Your vehicle is designed to alert a live agent, who will attempt to contact you through the vehicle’s cellular transceiver. (Cellular connection required.)

Stolen Vehicle Recovery*

If your vehicle is ever stolen, AcuraLink The Next Generation can help authorities find and recover it. Once you report your loss to the police, AcuraLink agents can use your vehicle’s location technology to direct authorities to your vehicle. (Cellular connection required.)

AcuraLink Connect Package Subscriptions

The Connect Package* requires a subscription. To enroll or upgrade, simply press the "Link" button on the overhead console to speak to AcuraLink support—24 hours a day, seven days a week. Or if you prefer, call 1-877-375-2638 or contact your Acura dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (10-07-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a tlx v6 loaner when I took my 2008 s type in for service. It was nice with tech update and blind spot indication. I think my s type has better acceleration and imfound the tlx somewhat comparable. Not sure I would want to pay 40k for the car. Although it seems like a much better vehicle than the 4g.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
On our Lexus it's a great app that I use always

It is a fantastic invention
You can also send to from desktop

Old 10-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Softer more comfortable ride, quieter interior, better audio, better fuel mileage, better handling, better illuminating LED headlights, more open center stack, HDD superior Navigation with 400% better resoltion that is 3x quicker.

The new TLX is definately quicker. It is better isolated from road vibration and noise which gives an illusion of being slower. Look at the stats, it is a lot quicker. To 100 mph in 13-14 seconds compared to 16-17.

I had an 06 TL and loved it. It Takes a little time to get use to the new TLX. More time you spend in the car the move you will like it.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by jlwii2000
Before I start, let me make one thing very clear. This thread is not meant to bash folks that have the TLX, but more get inside their line of thinking.

I have had my 2005 TL since 2005 and have taken good care of it but I decided to look into something new. I haven't seen a single TLX around my massive workplace even though many salaries are able of supporting cars of that price range.

So I went to the Acura dealer to test the new TLX and possibly by one that day. They had the exact color and leather combo I wanted which is dangerous because every time I've ever bought a car that has been the exact scenario.

The first thing I noticed was the price, MSRP has raised over 10 grand in 10 years. I guess this might be normal and it was in my price range so I swallowed that ok.

I went on the test drive and I instantly found distaste in the interior center stack design with the navi and touch screen. I had the SH-AWD version so I expected some fun driving but it was bland and boring to me. The exterior design was ok, but nothing that amazed me. I put it into Sport + mode and the salesman told me to hold on to my hat, but that too was disappointing with the V6. Not as peppy as I would have expected at all. I believe (Could be wrong) that my 05 TL has more giddy up.

So I couldn't find one reason to spring for 40 some grand other than having a new vehicle and renewed reliability. You guys can find my older posts on here, so you can see my 05 TL is very nice. I just couldn't go from zero car payment and no significant maintenance issues to a 40+ grand drop in the savings account or a several hundred dollar month payment.

I say all of this not to insult those who drive TLX's but to ask, what am I missing? What excites you about the car? Am I missing something? I have since went to Infiniti and found the Q50 more appealing to me (except I dislike the shifter and wish they put acura's cool push button shift system in there).
You've had your car for 10 years... it is like an old friend at this point, you know every quirk and behavior and are very used to it. The TLX is a different car, not just an update of the TL.

Not sure if your 10 year old TL compared apples-to-apples with the one you test drove, but car prices have gone up in the last few years. My guess is if you compared a features list of your TL to the car you drove you would see a lot of new features.

The dual screen set up takes getting used to but most seem to like it after they have adapted. I'm still in my first week so I'm still learning but I have no problem with the 2 screen set up. Just need to adapt.

I test drove a V6 and put it in Sport + and it went like snot. I'm not going to do that in my car just yet, but I think the 0-60 times of the TLX is faster than your TL.

For me the appeal of the car was the total value of what I got from the TLX. I bought the PAWS V6 Advance and got a great end of Sept deal (under 38K). The car was built in Aug. It is a big upgrade from my 2006 TSX. I looked at the Q50 and optioned in a similar way to the TLX was several thousand more.

But these are my reasons, yours are different. My sister has an older TL and she cannot get used to the TLX 9-speed and walked away. Everyone has their own new car calculus. If the TLX is not for you, no problem. That's why there are so many cars to choose from.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
a35tl (10-02-2015), Hoosier_TLX (10-02-2015), Stew4HD (10-07-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I'll make my little list. Keep in mind I have a 2007 TL Type-S with a 6spd manual.

1. Refinement and NVH. The TLX blows the 3G TL away in this department. It is simply no contest. And with proper performance tires there is no handling penalty. I will NOT miss the absolutely harsh ride of my Type-S. I'm getting older now. The quietness of the TLX is very good.

2. Features and tech. My 3G is really shy on features. It's got a fair bit for its day, but man, it still has a TAPE DECK (that you can control with voice commands for some reason, lol). Being able to store my music on a USB stick is nice. Granted a lot of cars have many of these features now.

3. Fuel economy. Real-world numbers for the SH-AWD are up to 10% better than my Type-S, despite being heavier and having additional drivetrain loss.

4. Comparable power. The TLX is just as fast as the Type-S or within a couple tenths, all while doing better on fuel.

5. Superior illumination. The LEDs are way better than anything the 3G has. Only thing I'll miss from the 3G is the side markers. Always thought those were cool.

6. Fold-down seats. Never realized how much I used these until I didn't have them. Had them in the Accord, but not my 3G.

7. Chassis stiffness. You can feel the 3G flex around tight corners a lot more than the TLX. Body roll between the two is roughly the same.

8. ELS sound system is better in the TLX. Has additional speakers that add to the 'sound stage' effect. Bass amplitudes are decreased by a small but noticeable amount. Doesn't bother me since I don't listen to my music with super heavy bass in the first place. Managed to bump it up a couple notches and it sounded better than my TL-S.

9. Seats. Totally superior to the ones in my car in every way except side bolsters. They could use a little bit more of that, but they are noticeably more comfortable than the 3G seats. Not that the 3G seats are bad, they're quite good, but the TLX does better.

10. SH-AWD. LOVED it when I drove the car. Just amazing powering out of corners! Very responsive system. It seems to predict what you're going to do.

Overall, the TLX is a better balance of everything. I can only deal with keeping one vehicle, so I needed a jack of all trades that could handle 6 months of Alberta winter. The TLX excels at this. It's not the sportiest car but not a boaty car, or the most luxurious car, or the absolute best car on fuel but it's very good. It's not the cheapest car nor the most expensive in the segment. It's very good with NVH and comfort for commuting too, but you can take it along offramps at 8/10ths and feel 100% confident and have fun. Launches are flawless with the SH-AWD (the 3G sucks at launches although the Type-S is better than the non Type-S).

The TLX strikes a VERY good balance between all of those things, provided you replace the stock tires lol. Price, performance, fuel economy, comfort, and features. Ultimately that's why I decided to go with it.

As a side note, I also think the conservative exterior styling is an asset in my book. My reasons for saying that are that it's neither totally anonymous, nor in-your-face-look-at-me. I don't want to attract attention on the road. Plus the car will age gracefully. It won't look trendy or out-of-date the way some of the more aggressively styled cars will (I'm looking at you, 2016 Nissan Maxima!).

I almost went with a Lexus IS350 F-Sport, but the poor real-world fuel economy on the same long test route I took the TLX in a similar driving style, the horrid transfer case hump by the gas pedal and worse AWD system, the higher price, and the predator mouth (I think the Acura beak isn't really pretty but it's not as ugly/polarizing) ultimately swayed me the other way.

Last edited by youngTL; 10-02-2015 at 02:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by youngTL:
a35tl (10-02-2015), Hoosier_TLX (10-02-2015), Jimmy_D (10-02-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
My first response is why do you need someone else to tell you how to feel about a car? I didn't when I bought my TLX. If someone doesn't find a car to their liking then they can continue driving what they have or go another route. I love all the features, safety, looks, Honda/Acura reputation, and performance of this car. As far as price it's called inflation and it's affecting every car on the market. I, personally, don't find the TLs appealing but that doesn't make it a bad car and I'm sure you aren't going to change your mind about how it makes you feel based on my opinion.

I love my TLX and you and others love their TL, TSX, or whatever else they drive. That's what makes the automotive industry great.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (10-07-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by jlwii2000

To tell you that I like everything about my car and look forward to driving it every day is not going to change your mind. However, in regards to the pep issue, it is faster than your 05 TL. I never understand these comments for a car that has a 5.6 or 5.7 0 to 60mph time. Additionally, the higher end acceleration is excellent, as I experienced on a recent highway trip passing at 60 and hitting 100 very quickly. If you want a track car, fine, but this is a very quick car and the SH-AWD is fabulous, particularly in slippery conditions or when making those quick in and out passing moves at high speeds.

As for price, well, you can't beat a 0 payment, but in my opinion and according to the numbers, the TLX SH-AWD is better value than it's competitors. It may not be the best at anything, other than the SH_AWD and the ELS, but has far as looks, fit and finish, technology, reliability, handling, fuel economy, and refinement, it is well up there in all categories, with a value proposition that is hard to beat.

BTW, not sure why you would not like the centre stack arrangement on the TLX but like the Q50 with no mention of it's similar arrangement? Curious. Anyhow, buying higher end cars is always a very visceral decision, so good luck!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What really attracted me to the TLX were:
• Its body style
• Overall value
• Dual screen
• Some features in AcuraLink
• Improved fuel economy
• Very low lease rate at 0.01%
Old 10-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
This is exactly the reason why I bought my 2015 TLX V6 Tech
Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Natan
This is exactly the reason why I bought my 2015 TLX V6 Tech
Ditto for me. I also can't believe how quiet this car is. It is by far the quietest Acura ever made.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Head lights!!