This video shows how the rear seats fold down

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
This video shows how the rear seats fold down

I am not sure if this has been posted yet, but this Cars.com video shows clearly how the rear seats fold down at 1:59:

Last edited by ostrich; 04-18-2014 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ostrich:
Rocketsfan (04-18-2014), Rocket_man (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
ugh. Cramped back seats!.
The following users liked this post:
boe_d (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
/\ Yup, the rear seats looked cramped, esp compared to the 4G TL's.

Though the rear seats fold down now, the opening looks small.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
which is interesting considering they say that interior cabin space has stayed equivalent to the 4G. (maybe it's just the reporter and he'd say the same of the 4g)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
The more I look at the centre stack, let less I like it. It seems naked, something is missing. I prefer the interior of the Q50 now....

EDIT: I know what throws me off...those two fake metal trim extending down from the vents and not lining up with the bottom pieces. Almost as if two people started digging a tunnel from opposite sides and didn't meet in the middle. It looks OFF

Last edited by weather; 04-18-2014 at 10:11 PM.
VQPower37 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't know, rear looks about as spacious overall but the front seats and surfaces are larger, flat back now, as opposed to curving or cutting in at the knees as before, so looks like they take up more of the overall room or space, not necessarily that it's less. Will have to wait and see ultimately but would be surprised if it's substantially less or less comfortable. It is a smaller mid sized vehicle in terms of interior, always has been, so it depends on what the guy is using as his basis for comparison.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Hmmm, the last words out of his mouth were "late 2014..." Huh? We just heard that they may not hit stores by Memorial Day as originally thought, but we're still thinking mid June. Is this now considered "late 2014" or do they know something we don't?
boe_d (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 02:12 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
/\ Yup, the rear seats looked cramped, esp compared to the 4G TL's.

The opening looks very similar in size to the Accord opening. In the 'transperant' drawing of the car it does not look like there is structure there, so I wonder why they did this. Not the most useful implementation, but it does check the square. Better than the TL for sure.

Originally Posted by weather
The more I look at the centre stack, let less I like it. It seems naked, something is missing. I prefer the interior of the Q50 now....

EDIT: I know what throws me off...those two fake metal trim extending down from the vents and not lining up with the bottom pieces. Almost as if two people started digging a tunnel from opposite sides and didn't meet in the middle. It looks OFF
hmmmm... they look symmetrical to me. Maybe it is just the angle that blocks the view of the trim?

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I don't know, rear looks about as spacious overall but the front seats and surfaces are larger, flat back now, as opposed to curving or cutting in at the knees as before, so looks like they take up more of the overall room or space, not necessarily that it's less. Will have to wait and see ultimately but would be surprised if it's substantially less or less comfortable. It is a smaller mid sized vehicle in terms of interior, always has been, so it depends on what the guy is using as his basis for comparison.
The front seats are massive, they do look comfortable though. Personally I can count the number of times someone has sat in my rear seats on my fingers and toes so not a priority to me. They could have made more room back there if they tried. They could have curved the front seatbacks, but it looks spaciaous enough and he was 6' so the fronts were probably back pretty far.

Overall I like this car and it is certainly an upgrade over what I'm driving for sure. It will come down to how it drives and the price and what else is in the price range when I buy. Oh... and I hope they have some nicer wheels. But it checks all the boxes I was hoping for... even the fold down rear seats!
Old 04-19-2014, 02:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Looks the same as my '13 Accord. The rear seat is plenty of space for anyone under 6 feet tall.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Rocket_man.....I guess I didn't do a good job at explaining myself (the darn French in me kicking in again *lol*)....Look at the picture you posted again, its almost as if the center stack experienced a mudslide, detached itself and then slipped down a few inches....Look at the picture I have included below and see the two red line I placed to indicate what I mean. I am super anal and once I find things like this, its hard for me to look past it. I can live with exterior design cues because I rarely see the outside of the vehicle but for me, the sexiness of the 4G's interior is gone:

1. Wood trim - Strike one
2. Lack of real shifter that I can grab (on the V6) - Strike two
3. Centre stack that has now gone bland - Strike three
4. Now this mudslide of the centre stack - Game over
5. I never even made to the exterior wheels (but that is external).

I had previously indicated that my next vehicle wouldn't be an Acura (because of the irritants I have with my RDX) and now, this pretty much confirms it. These are fundamental issues for me and while the driving dynamics of the TLX will likely be a home run on many levels, I buy my cars on a 70% esthetic basis and 30% on driving dynamics. Now I know many will make the arguments that the 4G is ugly and that I should have never bought one, well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and to me, except for the straight rear look, the 4G is amazingly edgy and good looking car and the interior is, in my opinion, the sexiest car I have ever seen. At night, the cockpit is just gorgeous.

Again, despite the fact I will not own a TLX, I will still stay at Acurazine and contribute and hang out with you guys. I am never going to ridicule their owners as some do....Because the interior of the vehicle doesn't look good to me, it doesn't mean that others won't find it gorgeous. In addition, some may not put as much importance to their interior as I do.

In any event, see what I talking about below and I think it will make more sense to what I was saying about the center stack experiencing a mudslide:

Name:  Acura-2015-TLX-33_zpse3406529.gif
Views: 1875
Size:  366.6 KB

Last edited by weather; 04-19-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^vinyl wrap...that'll fix it.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Hmmm, the last words out of his mouth were "late 2014..." Huh? We just heard that they may not hit stores by Memorial Day as originally thought, but we're still thinking mid June. Is this now considered "late 2014" or do they know something we don't?
The Cars.com review said late 2014. The Consumer Reports preview said it goes on sale in the Fall. I saw another review that said June, so I have no clue now.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by weather
Rocket_man.....I guess I didn't do a good job at explaining myself (the darn French in me kicking in again *lol*)....Look at the picture you posted again, its almost as if the center stack experienced a mudslide, detached itself and then slipped down a few inches....Look at the picture I have included below and see the two red line I placed to indicate what I mean. I am super anal and once I find things like this, its hard for me to look past it. I can live with exterior design cues because I rarely see the outside of the vehicle but for me, the sexiness of the 4G's interior is gone:

1. Wood trim - Strike one
2. Lack of real shifter that I can grab (on the V6) - Strike two
3. Centre stack that has now gone bland - Strike three
4. Now this mudslide of the centre stack - Game over
5. I never even made to the exterior wheels (but that is external).

I had previously indicated that my next vehicle wouldn't be an Acura (because of the irritants I have with my RDX) and now, this pretty much confirms it. These are fundamental issues for me and while the driving dynamics of the TLX will likely be a home run on many levels, I buy my cars on a 70% esthetic basis and 30% on driving dynamics. Now I know many will make the arguments that the 4G is ugly and that I should have never bought one, well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and to me, except for the straight rear look, the 4G is amazingly edgy and good looking car and the interior is, in my opinion, the sexiest car I have ever seen. At night, the cockpit is just gorgeous.

Again, despite the fact I will not own a TLX, I will still stay at Acurazine and contribute and hang out with you guys. I am never going to ridicule their owners as some do....Because the interior of the vehicle doesn't look good to me, it doesn't mean that others won't find it gorgeous. In addition, some may not put as much importance to their interior as I do.

In any event, see what I talking about below and I think it will make more sense to what I was saying about the center stack experiencing a mudslide:

I see what you mean. The difference is that the TL dash flows in one 'plane' from the dash to the center console, the TLX just has a discontinuity where the center part is pushed forward. If you are used to seeing the TL one way, the TLX will look odd. More similar to the RLX. It also allows a little more space in the lower part of the center console in the TLX vice the TL. Personally I think it look fine to me, probably something that is better experienced in the flesh than in 2D photos.

Sorry that you are so disappointed by this car. I'm still pretty positive, but I need to see it and feel it and hope the price is right. But if I end up buying this car and my spiffy new 9 speed transmission drops out the bottom of the car and Acura tells me 'it is normal' I will swear off the brand for good. But I'd really hope that would not happen!
weather (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I prefer covered cupholders, too, but what cars in this segment have them nowadays? I don't believe the ATS, Q50, IS, Genesis or A4 have them (I could be mistaken). The 3 series may have them, but I'd have to go back to the 1980's to find out.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I see what you mean. The difference is that the TL dash flows in one 'plane' from the dash to the center console, the TLX just has a discontinuity where the center part is pushed forward.
Yeah, probably so that the touch screen is within reach. Something the 4G didn't have to worry about. All black around the vents and on the upper plane might have minimized the effect, but I'm sure we'd find something else to comment on had they done this.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I was under the impression (from Cory's feature list) that the back seat was also going to have a pass-through similar to what the 3g/4g cars have behind the arm rest. I don't see any evidence of this feature from the video. I use the pass-through quite a bit for really long items and can still seat my family.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I was under the impression (from Cory's feature list) that the back seat was also going to have a pass-through similar to what the 3g/4g cars have behind the arm rest. I don't see any evidence of this feature from the video. I use the pass-through quite a bit for really long items and can still seat my family.
There certainly isn't a pass through in the car in this video. This car is the I4, maybe the V6 has the pass through??? I have no idea.

I was disappointed that all the video reviews were of the Blue I4 Tech and none of the Gray V6 Advanced.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Agree. think my coupe has a much bigger opening with the seats down. Goes fully from side to side. But its way better than not having one at all.