Is this typical for the 8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Is this typical for the 8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission?

I brought my wife's MDX into the dealer yesterday for a recall and a few other things (driver's side window was whistling and driving my wife nuts) ...

Anyway, I asked for a TLX loaner, and was given an I4 TLX with only ~1700 miles on the odometer. Was psyched because I've never driven the I4 and recall all the reviews saying the I4 is the most fun to drive.

I was left a little confused. The new transmission is definitely interesting - it doesn't "feel" like an automatic - if you're looking for it, you can definitely tell it is essentially a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch.

However - there were a few odd things I noticed (drove the car in Normal, Sport and Sport+).

1 - The shift from 1>2 and 2>3 are not very smooth in Normal/Sport mode, even with the car warmed up. It is almost like the clutch is being disengaged too quickly. Less noticeable in Sport+ when I'm shifting myself.

2- If I left off the gas and then get on the gas again -- not talking flooring it, just stepping on the gas again to accelerate (happens when there are cars in front of you going slowly or stopped and you are slowing down - and then the traffic starts to move) - you feel like the transmission "pops" into gear and there is a jolt, feels really awful. Not sure how to describe this - it almost feels like someone hit you from behind. I was able to reproduce this every time I did this.

3 - Delay on downshift - I was in Sport mode, driving on a 4-land divided highway and there was a commuter bus on the right lane stopped dropping off people, so all the cars were stopping - so I floored it, and moved into the left lane and the car didn't downshift or start accelerating until I completed my lane change, it was really annoying because I thought I'd start accelerating as soon as I floored it. I've read about the 9AT having slow downshifts, but not the 8 DCT.

Overall I liked the car though - no issues at all with the side view mirror reflection, had to actually look for it but didn't bother me at all. Played with the brake hold feature - I think that'd be really useful sitting in traffic.

Was a little disappointed that the car upshifts by itself in Sport+ mode if you hit the redline. Also wish there was a way to manually shift when you're not in Sport+. I like how Lexus allows you to put the shifter in Manual mode and manually shift regardless of the mode your car is in.

Doubt I would buy the I4 if I got one - would probably be the SH-AWD Advance - but definitely was fun to drive one around for a day.

Gas mileage was really good - definitely a plus.

Just thought the transmission behavior was weird, but since it was a loaner - I have no idea if it was because the car was beaten up.

So - my question really is, is this behavior normal? Hopefully I4 owners can chime in and this was just a problem with this particular loaner.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I guess you have not read the two long threads in the Problems and Fixes area.

Ps. You can use the paddle shifter in all modes.

Moderator: suggest this be moved/merged there.
tlxsteve (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
I guess you have not read the two long threads in the Problems and Fixes area.

Ps. You can use the paddle shifter in all modes.

Moderator: suggest this be moved/merged there.
Yeah sorry, since I'm not a TLX owner, I don't read the Problems and Fixes area.

I thought this too about the paddle shifters - as the MDX does this.

But I tried using the paddle shifter in other modes and for whatever reason it didn't do anything, not sure why. In any case - even if you use the paddle shifters in the other modes, it goes back to full automatic mode after a short time. It'd be nice if you could separate the two ("manumatic mode" as its own option, instead of needing to use Sport+).
Old 02-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
but definitely was fun to drive one around for a day.
I expect a lot of folks had fun, too, in the 1700 miles, and whatever learning process the transmission goes through might be a factor. While unfortunate that some folks seem to have issues with DCT shifts, mine is smooth, acts like most automatics do when first cold with shifts a little more abrupt, but nothing to complain about. Warm shifts are great.
The following 2 users liked this post by jim256:
LiQiCE (02-07-2015), tlxsteve (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE

1 - The shift from 1>2 and 2>3 are not very smooth in Normal/Sport mode, even with the car warmed up. It is almost like the clutch is being disengaged too quickly. Less noticeable in Sport+ when I'm shifting myself.

2- If I left off the gas and then get on the gas again -- not talking flooring it, just stepping on the gas again to accelerate (happens when there are cars in front of you going slowly or stopped and you are slowing down - and then the traffic starts to move) - you feel like the transmission "pops" into gear and there is a jolt, feels really awful. Not sure how to describe this - it almost feels like someone hit you from behind. I was able to reproduce this every time I did this.

3 - Delay on downshift - I was in Sport mode, driving on a 4-land divided highway and there was a commuter bus on the right lane stopped dropping off people, so all the cars were stopping - so I floored it, and moved into the left lane and the car didn't downshift or start accelerating until I completed my lane change, it was really annoying because I thought I'd start accelerating as soon as I floored it. I've read about the 9AT having slow downshifts, but not the 8 DCT.
1) Mine shifts a little hard from 1-2 and a little on 2-3 and 3-4 when cold - after it's warmed up they are all silky smooth and completely transparent.

2) I got that on occasion when the car was new - not so much now. I don't know if the car learned my behaviours or I learned how to circumvent it - but it's much better now. I found Econ mode works best for smooth stop -n- go city driving.

3) Yep - there's a little delay when you stomp on it before it shifts down and goes. You can hit the paddles a few times before you stomp on it if you're in a tight spot I suppose.

I think they have a little work ahead of them on the software side to really make this powertrain shine - I'm hoping we'll see a TSB out this year to address some of the quirky behaviour.
LiQiCE (02-08-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
My I4 transmission works great. Some owners are not as lucky, but this is posted elsewhere.