AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   TLX hybrid (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/tlx-hybrid-926028/)

BC01191980 02-14-2015 12:16 PM

TLX hybrid

I am a big fan of Acura and hybrids. I love the look of an Acura and want to upgrade from my civic hybrid. My lease ends in December 2015. I am thinking about es300h but know Toyota and Lexus like to sell packages for every little feature. I would prefer Acura over Lexus. Any chance we see a 2016 TLX hybrid?

07wdptl-s 02-14-2015 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BC01191980 (Post 15334812)
I am a big fan of Acura and hybrids. I love the look of an Acura and want to upgrade from my civic hybrid. My lease ends in December 2015. I am thinking about es300h but know Toyota and Lexus like to sell packages for every little feature. I would prefer Acura over Lexus. Any chance we see a 2016 TLX hybrid?

i really don't see a need for a tlx hybrid you are already getting good fuel economy as it is plus it would only drive the price up higher to Maybe 50g.:2cents:

erdoc48 02-14-2015 05:39 PM

Agreed...if a TLX (assume the 4 cyl) was a hybrid and got ~ 45 mpg and the standard one gets 35 mpg and the hybrid was $5000 more, would it be worth it? Doubtful unless your driving very long distances on a regular basis.

Rocket_man 02-14-2015 05:56 PM

Last month the ILX only sold 9 hybrids out of 1,730 cars. So not a lot of demand.

Colin 02-14-2015 06:43 PM

^^ Yeah but any new Hybrid wouldn't use the original IMA system. It would be based on the new two motor Accord Hybrid system or one of the SH-AWD 3 motor systems. IMA is dead.

justnspace 02-14-2015 07:49 PM

acura's hybrids from now on are all performanced based.

i dont think we'll see a fuel economy hyrbid ever again in acura's line up

1Louder 02-14-2015 09:26 PM

I just came home with a new TLX/SH-AWD/Tech, but I did considered a number of hybrids along the way. I drove a 300h and even an Audi A3 TDI. I sat in an Accord hybrid but never took it out.

I took this away from the experience: if you are after mileage, you are not going to get the kind of luxury you'd get out of a Lexus or Acura. The Accord hybrid is probably the closest thing to a really high-mileage car that has decent appointments. However it pales - significantly - in comparison to the interior of a TLX.

So then what of the luxury hybrids (e.g. 300h). They re not "mileage kings". A few get high 30's and maybe 40. I've been driving my TLX (V6 and SH-AWD mind you) in eco mode today and I'm not having any trouble hitting 30/31 mpg.

So you have to ask yourself, is the extra expense worth what amounts to be +8-10 MPG.

But to answer the original question, I think all Acura will go for is the hybrid ILX. A hybrid TLX does not make sense. The TLX is too performance-minded for Acura to taint that persona with a hybrid. Unless it was strapped to the V6 to make it even faster. But then mileage would not be significantly improved. :2cents:

csmeance 02-15-2015 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 1Louder (Post 15335143)
I just came home with a new TLX/SH-AWD/Tech, but I did considered a number of hybrids along the way. I drove a 300h and even an Audi A3 TDI. I sat in an Accord hybrid but never took it out.

I took this away from the experience: if you are after mileage, you are not going to get the kind of luxury you'd get out of a Lexus or Acura. The Accord hybrid is probably the closest thing to a really high-mileage car that has decent appointments. However it pales - significantly - in comparison to the interior of a TLX.

So then what of the luxury hybrids (e.g. 300h). They re not "mileage kings". A few get high 30's and maybe 40. I've been driving my TLX (V6 and SH-AWD mind you) in eco mode today and I'm not having any trouble hitting 30/31 mpg.

So you have to ask yourself, is the extra expense worth what amounts to be +8-10 MPG.

But to answer the original question, I think all Acura will go for is the hybrid ILX. A hybrid TLX does not make sense. The TLX is too performance-minded for Acura to taint that persona with a hybrid. Unless it was strapped to the V6 to make it even faster. But then mileage would not be significantly improved. :2cents:

A hybrid TLX may come based off the FWD model. If acura chose to implement the RLX Sport Hybrid system into the TLX, it would fit fairly easily and provide a huge performance boost!

The instant torque from the rear motors will make the SH-AWD model slower in the 0-60 (compared to a sport hybrid) and you can expect mpg to be great as well, esp in the city with the 9spd trans and the electric motors helping out.

A 4cyl + Sport hybrid would probably be even more efficient MPG wise, but may end up costing sales of the V6 TLX so I doubt it will come to be. The TLX is one great car, I just hope Acura keeps on improving it so it doesn't become stagnant like the 4G TL did.

BC01191980 02-15-2015 03:08 AM

The reason I like hybrid is that I don't idle at lights and in traffic. I live near Silicon Valley and its like one big giant city. The only time I would get to use performance is on weekends. I may end up getting the 4 cylinder TLX but will see. I have 10 months to decide. Ideally I want the tesla model 3 but that won't come out until 2017 and also I live in an apartment. Decisions decisions!

a35tl 02-15-2015 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by BC01191980 (Post 15335269)
The reason I like hybrid is that I don't idle at lights and in traffic. I live near Silicon Valley and its like one big giant city. The only time I would get to use performance is on weekends. I may end up getting the 4 cylinder TLX but will see. I have 10 months to decide. Ideally I want the tesla model 3 but that won't come out until 2017 and also I live in an apartment. Decisions decisions!

BC01191980, are you really boe_d? He was the only other guy that talked TLX Hybrid here and he also lived in CA. The litmus test question: Do you like the "beak" on the TLX? Good day to you.

BC01191980 02-15-2015 09:21 AM

I went to the 2012 San Francisco auto show. I looked at all the car brands and I kept coming back to the Honda and Acura section. At the time I didn't feel I could afford Acura but now I can. All luxury cars look nice but for some reason I am drawn to Acura. Lexus may come in second place. I think there are a lot of variables to look at but you should like the overall presentation of the car. I feel Acura will win me over. I plan on visiting the SF auto show to help me decide on a few options before I test drive. I don't like the California dealers because they expect people to buy a car right away.

boe_d 02-15-2015 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by BC01191980 (Post 15334812)

I would like one as well. There is a rumor (just a rumor) that there will be a type S and hybrid TLX in development.

boe_d 02-15-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by erdoc48 (Post 15334986)
Agreed...if a TLX (assume the 4 cyl) was a hybrid and got ~ 45 mpg and the standard one gets 35 mpg and the hybrid was $5000 more, would it be worth it? Doubtful unless your driving very long distances on a regular basis.

It would be for me just to avoid having to go to the pumps as often. While my time in cost per hour may not be that much - my pleasure or displeasure is.

boe_d 02-15-2015 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man (Post 15334995)
Last month the ILX only sold 9 hybrids out of 1,730 cars. So not a lot of demand.

Is there a lot of demand for the ILX hybrid or not? The Accord has pretty decent acceleration and great MPG in a good sized car. The ILX really has very little going for it IMHO.

boe_d 02-15-2015 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by a32tl (Post 15335348)
BC01191980, are you really boe_d? He was the only other guy that talked TLX Hybrid here and he also lived in CA. The litmus test question: Do you like the "beak" on the TLX? Good day to you.

I guess the people who said they wanted a hybrid as well don't count because they don't agree with you?

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...hybrid-917740/

1Louder 02-15-2015 02:46 PM

FWIW, the V6 TLX has an auto-stop. I'm not 100% sure if it's tied to an option package or comes with the base (I have Tech). Doesn't engage all the time depending on certain conditions, but I've found it to engage probably 80% of the time so far. I owned a 2002 Civic Hybrid back in the day and it was one of my favorite features - but it had conditions where it would not auto stop either.

1Louder 02-15-2015 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 15335226)
A hybrid TLX may come based off the FWD model. If acura chose to implement the RLX Sport Hybrid system into the TLX, it would fit fairly easily and provide a huge performance boost!

The instant torque from the rear motors will make the SH-AWD model slower in the 0-60 (compared to a sport hybrid) and you can expect mpg to be great as well, esp in the city with the 9spd trans and the electric motors helping out.

A 4cyl + Sport hybrid would probably be even more efficient MPG wise, but may end up costing sales of the V6 TLX so I doubt it will come to be. The TLX is one great car, I just hope Acura keeps on improving it so it doesn't become stagnant like the 4G TL did.

I think it's a decade old debate about what hybrid system should be used for - mileage or performance. I think only full EVs have both - IMO in a hybrid you have to pick one or the other. A hybrid system used for performance amounts to a electronic turbo charger (so to speak), and will improve mileage a bit but not significantly. It's all good, but the problem is a performance hybrid does not appeal to the "greenie / gas saving" crowd.

a35tl 02-15-2015 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by boe_d (Post 15335578)
I guess the people who said they wanted a hybrid as well don't count because they don't agree with you?

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...hybrid-917740/

Agree with me about what? I was merely wondering if you and he were the same person, different profile. His post reminded me of yours. That's all. FWIW, you did start the TLX Hybrid thread that you attached. I have no axe to grind concerning a TLX Hybrid and no ill will towards those who would buy one. I think you missed my point. I wasn't attacking anyone.

boe_d 02-15-2015 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by a32tl (Post 15335675)
Agree with me about what? I was merely wondering if you and he were the same person, different profile. His post reminded me of yours. That's all. FWIW, you did start the TLX Hybrid thread that you attached. I have no axe to grind concerning a TLX Hybrid and no ill will towards those who would buy one. I think you missed my point. I wasn't attacking anyone.

My apologies. I misread it, thinking that you were saying he and I were the only two people who expressed interest in a hybrid TLX.

csmeance 02-15-2015 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1Louder (Post 15335609)
I think it's a decade old debate about what hybrid system should be used for - mileage or performance. I think only full EVs have both - IMO in a hybrid you have to pick one or the other. A hybrid system used for performance amounts to a electronic turbo charger (so to speak), and will improve mileage a bit but not significantly. It's all good, but the problem is a performance hybrid does not appeal to the "greenie / gas saving" crowd.

The nice thing about the RLX hybrid system is that the 2 rear wheels are independent of the motor.

So the engine could theoretically be off until you get to 15MPH and then the engine turns on to help improve city MPG. In sport mode, have the rear motors propel the car forward with the gas engine as well to the front wheels!

Some folks with the RLX have commented how odd is is to see the engine be off (0 RPMS) but the car is still moving forward via the rear motors! It's 2015 and technolgy is only improving the efficiency we get from hybrid systems.

Rocket_man 02-15-2015 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1Louder (Post 15335603)
FWIW, the V6 TLX has an auto-stop. I'm not 100% sure if it's tied to an option package or comes with the base (I have Tech). Doesn't engage all the time depending on certain conditions, but I've found it to engage probably 80% of the time so far. I owned a 2002 Civic Hybrid back in the day and it was one of my favorite features - but it had conditions where it would not auto stop either.

It is only on the SH-AWD model.

1Louder 02-16-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 15335904)
The nice thing about the RLX hybrid system is that the 2 rear wheels are independent of the motor.

So the engine could theoretically be off until you get to 15MPH and then the engine turns on to help improve city MPG. In sport mode, have the rear motors propel the car forward with the gas engine as well to the front wheels!

Some folks with the RLX have commented how odd is is to see the engine be off (0 RPMS) but the car is still moving forward via the rear motors! It's 2015 and technolgy is only improving the efficiency we get from hybrid systems.

Agree. Now if they can make it available without having to drop $60K that would be great. :smile:

jim256 02-16-2015 09:23 AM

Real world experience: I also have a '13 ES 300h, 23 months now, average mpg since new is right at 40, regular gas, and most driving is in town. With the added cost of the hybrid and the fact that the lease, finance, rebate deals seldom include the hybrid as richly as the gas model, it's really hard to justify on gas savings. Especially now with lower gas prices. Likewise, at least in my market, they load the hybrid with more package options. On the highway it gets about 35 which is comparable to ES 350 highway mileage. I've had 3 hybrids now, 2 Lexus, one Toyota, mainly because of interest in the technology, but the added expense is just too great IMO to keep buying one.

1Louder 02-16-2015 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jim256 (Post 15336108)
Real world experience: I also have a '13 ES 300h, 23 months now, average mpg since new is right at 40, regular gas, and most driving is in town. With the added cost of the hybrid and the fact that the lease, finance, rebate deals seldom include the hybrid as richly as the gas model, it's really hard to justify on gas savings. Especially now with lower gas prices. Likewise, at least in my market, they load the hybrid with more package options. On the highway it gets about 35 which is comparable to ES 350 highway mileage. I've had 3 hybrids now, 2 Lexus, one Toyota, mainly because of interest in the technology, but the added expense is just too great IMO to keep buying one.

When I owned a hybrid, I spent a lot of time on a hybrid forum having long-winded debates over the "return on investment" of getting a hybrid vs. the same model without.

I viewed it differently than most. To me, hybrid is just another option, not unlike Navigation, upgraded wheels, or whatever. It's just part of the up front cost. No one ever discusses the cost-benefit of a navigation system or rear spoiler because there isn't any. You pay for options because it's what you want, and that's an individual decision. Its what you want out of the driving experience.

So for me once I settled on the idea that hybrid was an "option" I wanted to pay for, it's just part of the price of a car. Month to month, it provides a tangible benefit. I really liked getting 45 mpg. It was as beneficial as any other convenience option to my driving experience. I never really cared if it "payed for itself".

weather 02-16-2015 02:26 PM

^^ WOW! It has been a while since I read a post that made that much sense! Thanks for sharing your wisdom - That is a great way of looking at it.

jim256 02-16-2015 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1Louder (Post 15336500)
I never really cared if it "payed for itself".

Good analysis, after 3 hybrids it's more interesting to me to spend the extra on other things. The accounting major in me is also a factor.

Stew4HD 02-16-2015 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by weather (Post 15336534)
^^ WOW! It has been a while since I read a post that made that much sense! Thanks for sharing your wisdom - That is a great way of looking at it.

You should expect such posts from a Rush fan :)

Don't annoy us further!
We have our work to do.
Just think about the average
What use have they for you?
Another toy that helped destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the Plan!
Rush - 2112, circa 1976

CoquiTSX 02-16-2015 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1Louder (Post 15336500)
When I owned a hybrid, I spent a lot of time on a hybrid forum having long-winded debates over the "return on investment" of getting a hybrid vs. the same model without.

I viewed it differently than most. To me, hybrid is just another option, not unlike Navigation, upgraded wheels, or whatever. It's just part of the up front cost. No one ever discusses the cost-benefit of a navigation system or rear spoiler because there isn't any. You pay for options because it's what you want, and that's an individual decision. Its what you want out of the driving experience.

So for me once I settled on the idea that hybrid was an "option" I wanted to pay for, it's just part of the price of a car. Month to month, it provides a tangible benefit. I really liked getting 45 mpg. It was as beneficial as any other convenience option to my driving experience. I never really cared if it "payed for itself".

Agree. Especially if it gives a little bit of "extra power" like the Accord hybrid. :thumbsup:

1Louder 02-17-2015 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 15336993)
You should expect such posts from a Rush fan :)

:smile: Got the tickets. July 19th!!!! :butthead:

iforyou 02-17-2015 02:10 PM

I think the Accord hybrid might work for you. The TLX might eventually get a similar hybrid system like the one in the Accord, but I don't think there's any confirmation on that, meaning it could take a year at least before you see one.

BC01191980 02-17-2015 03:27 PM

Assuming they don't make a hybrid I may just get a TLX with the tech package. Anyone get the 4 cylinder or v-6? What are your fuel economy numbers?

jim256 02-18-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BC01191980 (Post 15338141)
Assuming they don't make a hybrid I may just get a TLX with the tech package. Anyone get the 4 cylinder or v-6? What are your fuel economy numbers?

4 cylinder 26.5 average in mostly around-town, Sport mode all the time. (premium gas is recommended and used)

justnspace 02-18-2015 07:59 AM

one member got 40mpg on a road trip with the v6.

1Louder 02-18-2015 08:18 AM

I'm very early into it, but right now hovering around 28-29 MPG with a 70/30 mix of highway/city driving in Econ mode. V6 SH-AWD.

However I'm still on the tank of gas the dealership gave me, and it's regular. I'll fill with premium next tank and get a better feel for it.

brutustlx 02-18-2015 08:19 AM

First if insisting on something similar to TLX but hybrid then the Accord Hybrid is the thing to get, that is a great hybrid from everything I have read.

Second, if you want auto start/stop get the TLX SHAWD. I honestly do not know why all cars do not have this technology and I expect it will trickle down. There is actually a great article I think I read on edmunds about how much you actually save, it did not sound like a lot but it is all about your driving needs.

Third, do not expect a hybrid TLX, might as well put that to bed.

Fourth, look at gas prices, which leads to my 3rd point, investing in this technology and the issues Honda is having getting enough batteries for their Accord Hybrid speaks volumes.

Finally, I too would like a Hybrid option on every car, I look at it as just another option, and for those of us like me who keep our cars for a while 7-10 years it does help out.

Next TLX we see will be some sort of sport variant, and likely if they cheap out only the A-spec type thing they did on the ILX.

B.

BC01191980 02-18-2015 03:05 PM

Start stop would be a nice add in for all the tech packages.

BC01191980 02-20-2015 12:07 PM

What is the difference between the 4 cylinder and v-6? How did TLX drivers decide which engine?

1Louder 02-20-2015 12:35 PM

Horsepower. :smile:

jim256 02-20-2015 02:15 PM

Handling balance for me. (4 cyl.)

wowzer 02-22-2015 11:08 AM

A few other reasons for a hybrid TLX

My 2¢ worth...

As an exec and head of department, I often times go to senior team meetings and I can't show up driving a Honda or Toyota. The Acura badge is worth something in my opinion. If they took the Honda Accord hybrid, slapped the TLX body panels, and a few tweaks to the chasis, suspension, GPS, and etc, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

I need the increased range, as I'm so busy that stopping for gas is a problem many times. The way I think of it is that the hybrid option is buying back my time. And since time is my most precious commodity (did I mention that I'm usually very, very busy?), the hybrid improves my quality of life. Especially in the frozen cold and sweltering heat of NY, each fewer stops at the gas station buys me 20-30 minutes of extra time. I dont know about you all, but getting gas in NY can be like 30+minutes (including the extra diving to get to a station). If I get gas once every 3rd week instead of every other week, I gain ~4+ hours/year. If they could make the TLX hybrid as good as the ES300h, then the time savings will be more. I'm trying to resist buying the lexus, but without any hope of a hybrid, then I may have to change brands (I've been a Honda/Acura guy my whole life).

Another reason for a TLX hybrid is that they already have one on the RLX. The ILX has/had one. Thus, for the complete lineup, Acura should make the 2.4L with a hybrid for some extra performance and mileage. The RLX type of rear electric drive will allow Acura to tout AWD/4WD that sips gas, which a lot of people will buy. The 2.4L hybrid should also be available with the Advance package. So what if it 'steals' from the TLX V6---it also will steal from Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, MB, and Audi. IMO, Acura is the best price to car ratio. However, with the Lexus ES300h, I can get over 600 driving miles, which is my main need.