TLX GT vs Type S

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
TLX GT vs Type S

I keep trying to find a way to look past all of the documented transmission problems and posted shortcomings on this car, and have been holding out for the"impending" Type-S release. Just received information from Acura on the new "GT" package, and the dealers now say that there is no other information available. I hope this isn't it?

The only analogy this I can think of that applies to the GT is "lipstick on a pig". Looks like a package of cheap plastic overlays with absolutely no real performance enhancements. Could not be more disappointed. Has anyone seen info on if/when there will be a real "Type-S" release coming?

If not, I'm left with the dilemma of going with the Lexus ES (which is also a little underwhelming), moving to the MDX, or waiting for the next generation. Thoughts??
Old 11-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
You are correct. The GT package is the spoiler package for the TLX...on the web page.
The only information on the real Type S is all wishful thinking (as far as I know)....I don't think that there is any confirmed information regarding much about the MMC refresh. There have been a few spy pics and lots of guessing, but that is about it.
I am in the same boat as you. Hoping that my car (07 TL with 230,000 miles) can hold on until the new and hopefully improved TLX is released. I am cross shopping the ES 350 (not at all sporty but great for my long commute, and bulletproof reliability), Accord Touring, and even the new Civic EX-T manual. I drive 100 miles/day so need to be practical, but wouldn't mind a little excitement every now and then.
Many with newer TLXs have reported the 9ZF being much better, but I hate the lag and even more, the way that Acura treated early adopters who had problems. Should be interesting to see the longterm reliability of the ZF9 for those who keep it for 150,000+ miles.
I am going to be hopeful that Acura makes some major revisions to the TLX or offers a real performance model. Would love a return to the Acura of old.....
Good luck and let us know when you decide.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Like quantum7 mentioned, there's nothing confirmed about a Type S model but there is certainly hopeful expectation of a sport variant being released next Spring with the mid model TLX refresh. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
if really want to stick with brand, wait it out and see.

but there are a lot of options on the market
Old 11-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
While it is true, there is no Type S officially on the books- as far as the general public is concerned, I have a sneaking suspicion Acura IS working on one. The question is whether it will be released at the MMC, or the next generation (please, not that long).

Nobody has officially confirmed yet, but, I do remember Honda/Acura saying they were working on 3 new engines, about 1-1.5 years ago. Thus far, the 1.5T has been released, and we know the 2.0T is coming for the Civic Type R. The question is- what will that final engine be? I'm secretly hoping it is some sort of V6T. I have no idea on what size of V6 it will be, but let's be honest- it makes the most sense.

The other question is- which car would the V6T go in to? Would a TLX-S rely on a 2.0T? some sort of V6T? Or will Acura simply give it the real SH-AWD system, from the RLX/MDX and leave the engine natural aspirated?

To me, it seems a V6T would be lighter than any battery pack and electric motor configuration. While it may not produce the instantaneous torque the true SH-AWD system can, the V6T can likely be shoe horned into any current vehicle that has a V6 now. Acura could use it in the MDX, RDX, TLX, and even RLX, and just fiddle with the tuning to get what they want out of it.

Either way, currently, we know of nothing coming forward. Nothing officially. Time will tell what will happen.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
if really want to stick with brand, wait it out and see.

but there are a lot of options on the market
Acura is certainly not making it easy to be brand loyal.
The following 2 users liked this post by emas:
Rocketsfan (11-25-2016), weather (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

and that's putting it lightly.

I think Acura finally figured this out. Problem is, it takes years for changes to happen within an auto manufacturer. With the amount of money they invest in any car, they want to maximize their return. So even if they realized there's a major issue, 18 months ago, I don't think you'd see anything at least for another 6 months. It just takes time. Too bad the car buying population isn't willing to sit around and wait for stuff like that to happen.

consider the amount of time that gets put into designing something, then testing it, finding flaws, retesting, redesigning, costing, pricing, manufacturing and finally releasing..
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
No one knows what are Acura's future plans...but based on the market trend and competition, we will see some changes in Spring/Summer 2017 for TLX (MMC).
Few options:
Turbo
Hybrid
and S version

Also, they might add some extra functions and tech options. And last but not least, we will get Dual Exhaust and new grill.

I personally think the TLX MMC will be a god upgrade.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
If Acura waits until the FMC for the Type-S, they clearly can't read the market, the demands and deserve everything that is coming to them.

Last edited by weather; 11-24-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello

I think Acura finally figured this out. Problem is, it takes years for changes to happen within an auto manufacturer. With the amount of money they invest in any car, they want to maximize their return. So even if they realized there's a major issue, 18 months ago, I don't think you'd see anything at least for another 6 months. It just takes time. Too bad the car buying population isn't willing to sit around and wait for stuff like that to happen.

consider the amount of time that gets put into designing something, then testing it, finding flaws, retesting, redesigning, costing, pricing, manufacturing and finally releasing..
Well said, and I hope you are right.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:29 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Nobody has officially confirmed yet, but, I do remember Honda/Acura saying they were working on 3 new engines, about 1-1.5 years ago. Thus far, the 1.5T has been released, and we know the 2.0T is coming for the Civic Type R. The question is- what will that final engine be? I'm secretly hoping it is some sort of V6T. I have no idea on what size of V6 it will be, but let's be honest- it makes the most sense.
That announcement was 3 years ago, and it was for a 1.0T, a 1.5T, and 2.0T. I have yet to hear or read anything about a V6T except the one in the NSX. I highly doubt the TLX will get that twin turbo V6.

Honda Worldwide November 19, 2013 "Honda Develops VTEC TURBO, Direct Injection Gasoline Turbo Engine That Achieves Class-leading Output and Environmental Performance"

November 19, 2013

Honda Develops VTEC TURBO, Direct Injection Gasoline Turbo Engine That Achieves Class-leading Output and Environmental Performance

TOKYO, Japan, November 19, 2013 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has newly developed VTEC TURBO, a direct injection gasoline turbo engine most suitable for small-to-medium-sized vehicles. The VTEC TURBO is a new addition to the Earth Dreams Technology, the next-generation powertrain technologies which achieve both the fun of driving and excellent fuel economy at a high level.

With the application of variable valve motion technology such as Honda's unique VTEC along with direct injection turbocharging with highly-fluidized combustion and a thorough reduction in engine friction, this engine achieves class-leading output and environmental performance, while downsizing engine displacement.

Along with existing hybrid technology and diesel engine, the VTEC TURBO that features displacement size variation of 2.0 L, 1.5 L and 1.0 L will be adopted by Honda's future global models in accordance with characteristics of each model and needs of local customers.

Lineup of direct injection gasoline turbo engines
  • 2.0 L 4-cylinder direct injection gasoline turbo engine

High output and high response were achieved by VTEC, a high-output turbocharger, direct injection technology, and a high-performance cooling system. This is an innovative high-performance engine that realizes the maximum output of more than 280 HP as well as high environmental performance that complies with the EURO 6, European emission standards which will become effective in 2014.
  • 1.5 L 4-cylinder direct injection gasoline turbo engine / 1.0 L 3-cylinder direct injection gasoline turbo engine

These are next-generation compact engines that combine a base engine with a newly designed framework, the VTEC variable valve train system with thoroughly reduced friction, a turbocharger with a low moment of inertia and high responsiveness, and direct injection technology to achieve good balance between high output and torque, above those of conventional naturally-aspirated engines, along with excellent fuel economy.
I did see a rumor that the 10th gen Accord was going to get the 1.5T and 2.0T as replacements for the I4 and V6 respectively. If this is true, I'm thinking the 2G TLX will also get those engines but with different tunes for slightly more power. Maybe the top trim TLX will get the 2.0T found in the Civic Type R.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...EM04/307259998

Redesigns due for 3 core Honda models

Future lineup looks greener, more turbocharged

July 25, 2016

Honda's product onslaught continues for 2017, with the next 12 months heralding the launch of next-gen Accord, Odyssey and CR-V models, plus an expanded green footprint and wider proliferation of turbos.

Accord: The 10th generation of Honda's venerable sedan is due in 2017 as a 2018 model. The redesigned model will ride on the same fwd modular platform as the current Civic. The march of the turbos continues: Expect the base engine to be Honda's 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four as the optional choice -- goodbye, V-6. As with the Civic, expect Honda to add a hybrid (plug-in or normal) to the Accord nameplate in 2018. A normal hybrid would avoid cannibalizing too many sales from the Clarity PHEV that is similar in size and goes on sale in 2017.

Last edited by AZuser; 11-25-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for clarifying. I never heard about the 1.0T. And honestly, now that I hear it, boy is that ever dissapointing.

And d'oh, Honda!! C'mon already... At least show interest in competing in the car market!!!
Old 11-25-2016, 05:22 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Honda cares more about being green
Old 11-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
No one knows what are Acura's future plans....
Not even ACURA.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
justnspace (12-01-2016), Tony Pac (11-25-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
If Acura wants TLX Typs S (if there is any) to compete with 340xi, S4, XE, C43 etc, 4 cyl turbo will not be sufficient, period. And if they add batteries like RLX or MDX (which i think they will try for MMC model because they never listen to market), demand will be questionable. I would rather prefer 310 hp engine of RLX, better transmission, suspension turing, stronger brakes, wider and stickiers tires as Type S over SHSHAWD. I hope reviews of NSX questioning benefits of batteries vs weight penalty will force them to rethink that approach in future lineup.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:33 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
If Acura wants TLX Typs S (if there is any) to compete with 340xi, S4, XE, C43 etc, 4 cyl turbo will not be sufficient, period. And if they add batteries like RLX or MDX (which i think they will try for MMC model because they never listen to market), demand will be questionable. I would rather prefer 310 hp engine of a RWD RLX, better transmission, suspension turing, stronger brakes, wider and stickiers tires as Type S over SHSHAWD. I hope reviews of NSX questioning benefits of batteries vs weight penalty will force them to rethink that approach in future lineup.
Even better configuration, fixed in BLUE.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Even better configuration, fixed in BLUE.
I was mentioning based on what is feasible as of now for MMC next year. 6 cyl turbo and FR platform are dreams most of us want Acura to build for future lineup.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura hasn't made a proper Type S in nearly a decade. They really don't seem to value this legacy. Now, I wonder if they think we are idiots.

They didnt even even bother offering us the "athletic red" color that was used in the unveilingof the production model. That seemed like a no brainer.

Im not sure why they don't consider pre engineering performance gains during intitial development that are reserved for the mid cycle refresh.

Then there are the lame ads for the TLX. Remember the one called "race car" that featured the TLX making gratuitous lane changes at 20 MPH with the real, twin turbo TLX GT superimposed in a few frames?

Now we are offered a GT package that is more in line with the warmed over special edition...and they further confuse their heritage by misusing the term GT.

I guess I'll just settle down tonight with a safe, effective laxative and a warm glass of milk. Acura is inspiring me these days.

I love my Japanese Buick.

Last edited by zendrive; 12-01-2016 at 01:50 AM.
weather (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by alpha0
I was mentioning based on what is feasible as of now for MMC next year. 6 cyl turbo and FR platform are dreams most of us want Acura to build for future lineup.
but what you proposed is just talk.
just not feasible, because Acura doesnt know what they are doing.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

All you have to do is look at how long it took them to realize they screwed up the styling of the last generation TL and how long the fix took to implement.

The reality is that the TLX is not a total train wreck. It needs the same sort of styling tweaks, a slightly sportier suspension, 25 more horses and some transmission programming to make most of the brand enthusiasts happy. Oh, and a floor shift on the V6 sport model. That would be a piece of cake because the parts and pices already exist.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:35 AM

10 years.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zendrive
...Then there are the lame ads for the TLX. Remember the one called "race car" that featured the TLX making gratuitous lane changes at 20 MPH with the real, twin turbo TLX GT superimposed in a few frames?

I guess I'll just settle down tonight with a safe, effective laxative and a warm glass of milk. Acura is inspiring me these days.
I recall the buzz prior to the release of the TLX. They had this video showing the TLX cruising the streets of a quiet city at night, doing a jump in mid-air "a la Dukes of Hazzard" and then they give us this bland TLX - which again, if fine for most, but WHY WHY WHY are they so against giving a sportier variant for those who want it and can still have some fun in their life. Because the old execs at Acura have no pizzazz left in their lives, some of us want some fun. II am not saying that they shouldn't develop a vehicle that caters to the mass but don't turn your back on the enthusiast, and it seems the only car they want to create that is fun, they make it inaccessible for 99% of people - really smart Mr. execs.

Even the new Camry about to be released has more character by the sneak peak pics....and what have you shown us Acura about the soon to be super excited TLX? Sweet shit nothing.....
pyrodan007 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
....and what have you shown us Acura about the soon to be super excited TLX? Sweet shit nothing.....
Well they'll show us the Acura Precision Cockpit as their magnum opus right before they retire in 5 years . Meanwhile everyone else will have autonomous flying cars ...
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
But they do have an A-Spec TLX - Badging, Aero Kit, Pirelli PZeroTires, rear deck lid spoiler, and 19" black alloy wheels.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Oh it has Pzero tires? that's not bad I guess.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:25 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Is the Pirelli P-zero a higher performance tire than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Tire Rack & C&D head to head test of 4 & 9 performance tires the PSS came in first the Zero 4th & 9th
Old 12-08-2016, 12:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
The regular P-Zero from what I understand isn't all that great, but still light years (obviously) better than the stock Good Year...lol.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Wooden tires would be better than the Good Year!
iforyou (12-09-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
I am in the same boat as you. Hoping that my car (07 TL with 230,000 miles) can hold on until the new and hopefully improved TLX is released. I am cross shopping the ES 350 (not at all sporty but great for my long commute, and bulletproof reliability), Accord Touring, and even the new Civic EX-T manual.
I'm doing exactly the same thing and looking at those same cars, however my 08 Type S has only 98K miles, so I'm looking at those cars a little less seriously. Hoping for a Type S TLX soon....