Test drove a TLX 2.4 today

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove a TLX 2.4 today

At my oil change I got a TLX loaner, base model and drove it around for a while this afternoon. I enjoyed driving this car, and is much smoother riding and faster then my car which is what I was hoping for.

PROS:
I enjoyed its good visibility, solid braking, and Sport+ mode really wakes up the car and keeps it in the power band- This is an excellent engine. Also, quiet interior and suspension has the optimal balance of firm dampers yet compliant ride. Brake hold is a great feature and would come handy on rush hour commutes. Base stereo output was better than I thought and clear full range.

CONS:
8 speed is a little jerky even after warming up the car. Dual screen setup inside takes some getting used to. Ridiculous high profile Goodyears with cheesy wheel design ruins the exterior. It is too easy to change the XM station category when using the steering wheel volume control wheel, but that is just part of the learning curve I guess. The leatherette seats were flat on the bottom, and lacked support I felt like I was sitting on a couch compared to my TSX.

So in this price range Acura has a soild entry, but I think by the MMC they should address these issues and have a car I'd consider buying.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Here's the thing. The car has an awesome ride/handling balance as you say and is very quiet. Some reviews saying less road noise than a Lexus. But...it has too small wheels and high profile tires..... There is a correlation. Lower profile tires mean worse ride, more noise, less durability, high replacement cost. All for better steering response (all of which is negated by the dull EPS in all modern cars) and just maybe, but I doubt it, better handling on smooth roads. But they do look cool. The one indisputable benefit of bigger wheels and lower profile tires is the capacity to include bigger brake systems. All IMHO of course.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Agree about wheels and tires. Those fat sidewalls make them look like 15"s and the design cheapens the look of the car. I haven't driven the V-6 but if/when I purchase the 2.4 I will deff buy the V-6 rims or even put on my 17" gunmetal "silver star" rims off my TSX.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I'm pretty sure the TLX doesn't have the noise attenuating wheels that are found on the ILX - the ILX also comes standard with /45 tires (/40 on A-Spec). The TLX has /55 (/50 on V6). I'm thinking the TLX will get the wheel noise tech and maybe lower profile tires soon.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Same thing happened to me.. I brought my '09 TSX in for service and they also gave me a 2.4 TLX Base loaner.

The dealer then followed up by calling to see if I was interested in trading my car in for a new TLX.

I laughed and declined the offer. Not ready to let go of the TSX just yet.

I just didn't feel like it was a substantial step up from a TSX. It just seemed more like a side-step. Sport + mode was the only mode I would drive it in. Granted it was a 2.4 Base. Maybe a V6 Tech or Advanced would feel more of an upgrade.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 02-27-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
"Dual screen setup" infotainment and control system on the TLX has received lots of criticism on this forum. While I understand the uneasy driver transition, I came across Tesla's model S at the mall and realized their Gigantic touch screen is literally for everything from turning on heated seats to opening sun roof. Hasn't it become a trend? Is Acura trying to learn something from Tesla? But Tesla's touch screen system is highly programmable and can be customized in many different ways.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Acura has been bashed from many car reviewers on the following issues:

1. Platform sharing - Didn't do anything about it
2. Lack of V8 - Didn't do anything about it
3. Lack of RWD - Didn't do anything about it
4. Design less band vehicles - Didn't do anything about it (although I like their design)
5. Provide a sport variant of their lineup (Type-S) - Didn't do anything about it
6. Too many buttons - THAT is what they seem to have latched onto!

Again, I am not bashing Acura....I don't need a RWD, I don't need a V8, I don't need a separate platform....I just stating the things that Acura has been accused of, and what they seemed to have focused on.

With regards to item #5....that is one thing I WOULD WANT!

Last edited by weather; 02-27-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by weather

4. Design less band vehicles - Didn't do anything about it (although I like their design)
5. Provide a sport variant of their lineup (Type-S) - Didn't do anything about it

Again, I am not bashing Acura....I don't need a RWD, I don't need a V8, I don't need a separate platform....I just stating the things that Acura has been accused of, and what they seemed to have focused on.

And these are the reasons why Acura still struggles to find its identity as a true luxury brand in the mind of the general public.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Acura is on the upswing. Frankly, V8s are ridiculous gas guzzling overpowered unnecessary engines for anything other than a heavy duty truck (IMHO). Re RWD, they have the best AWD system on the market than can put 100% of the power to the rear IF necessary. Otherwise, if you don't want to shell out money for SH-AWD, you at least get a vehicle that can be driven in the winter north of the Mason Dixon Line. As for a Sport variant, it's a relatively small segment. One of the realities of having a lower priced luxury vehicle like an Acura, compared to other luxury brands is that it's difficult to do that and trot out a lot of variations that few people buy. BMW sells a lot more vehicles (proving that people love status badges) and is in a better position to sell more vehicles without mass appeal, relatively speaking.

If the TLX continues to sell well and the new ILX also does well, then a Type S for these vehicles is a definite possibility.

P.S. If Acura attempts to be same same, perhaps they lose their market niche altogether. Just saying.
P.P.S. Too many reviewers are yuppies so far up the ass of the Germans that you would need a hamster with a searchlight to find them.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 02-27-2015 at 06:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (02-27-2015), Gen4MDX (11-29-2016)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
V8s are ridiculous gas guzzling overpowered unnecessary engines for anything other than a heavy duty truck (IMHO). .
As a previous owner of a LS400, LS430, and LS600h now, I am curious as to your opinion above.

Using your logic, couldn't we all get by with a 1.3L Honda Fit motor in the TLX? Couldn't it be argued that 200HP 2.4L motor is unnecesssary as well?

Using your logic further, couldn't it be argued, leather and HID and sunroof are unncessary as well?

I imagine a Honda Fit or Toyota Corolla base model is sufficient enough for most of the population in the US/Canada that doesn't have 3 children or need to tow 10,000 lbs, right?

In that case, isn't any car over $18K unnecessary as well?

Just curious where you draw the line, on what is overpowered and unncessary, and what is correctly powered and necessary? Is a V6 in a GT-R necessary and a V8 in a Corvette unnecessary? Or is the 4 cyl SC in my Elise the right combo?

My Lexus LS430 V8 got much better MPG and was much more efficient than my 2011 Mazdapseed 3 (which was a 4 cyl turbo car).

Last edited by 2012wagon; 02-27-2015 at 06:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2012wagon:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-28-2015), cokorote (03-01-2015), silverTL6 (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ck98vteC
This is an excellent engine. .
Is the TLX motor feel and your TSX motor feel different?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
I test drove TSX 5AT and TLX 2.4 8AT before.

The TLX definitely feels a lot more powerful. There's really no comparison.

I think the combination of extra torque, 3 extra gears, and DCT really help.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (03-01-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
mapleloaf and Misterzdx....I am not saying that these are my views BTW...Just stating what I seem to read about Acura when I read a car magazine.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
They sound and feel similar overall IMO, but the reduced NVH in the TLX mean less sound and vibration reach the cabin so the experience is different. I didn't push the TLX much, and perhaps the wider torque band would become more apparent with harder driving.
2012wagon (03-01-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterZDX
And these are the reasons why Acura still struggles to find its identity as a true luxury brand in the mind of the general public.
Just curious how you know the mind of the general public? The MDX is one of the best selling luxury SUVs on the market. How do you account for that?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

mapleloaf and Misterzdx....I am not saying that these are my views BTW...Just stating what I seem to read about Acura when I read a car magazine.
I got that. I was just stating my opinion and certainly understood you were summarizing typical reviewers comments. I often get frustrated by reviewers who will out of hand always recommend the larger engine out of principal. It's almost like they are trying to help the car companies and the oil companies increase profits…that couldn't be could it?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Instructor

The new 2.4 is quite smooth, and has improved midrange power compared to the older K24. I also must say that it doesn't feel as nimble as the TSX, yet I never had any issues with grip or got any squealing or understeer.

It does seem like a "TSX for Dummies", definitely not enough of an upgrade for me. I really wish they did not kill the TSX, which best qualities IMO of the old Acura include made in Japan, excellent double wishbone suspension, and JDM/Euro Accord platform made it exceptional compared to the TLX, which is US Accord based.

The performance numbers aren't much better overall than the cheaper Accord Sport. I am curious how quick this power train will be in the ILX. Car & Driver got the 0-60 at 6.2 seconds, which is pretty good.

Bottom line, I wish the new turbo power trains would make their way here but it may be delayed until the next gen of this car.

Last edited by Ck98vteC; 02-28-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Same thing happened to me.. I brought my '09 TSX in for service and they also gave me a 2.4 TLX Base loaner.

The dealer then followed up by calling to see if I was interested in trading my car in for a new TLX.

I laughed and declined the offer. Not ready to let go of the TSX just yet.

I just didn't feel like it was a substantial step up from a TSX. It just seemed more like a side-step. Sport + mode was the only mode I would drive it in. Granted it was a 2.4 Base. Maybe a V6 Tech or Advanced would feel more of an upgrade.
Agree with you there, if I wasn't in sport or sport+ the car drove like a Civic, totally dull and tepid engine response.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
The new 2.4 is quite smooth, and has improved midrange power compared to the older K24. I also must say that it doesn't feel as nimble as the TSX, yet I never had any issues with grip or got any squealing or understeer.

It does seem like a "TSX for Dummies", definitely not enough of an upgrade for me. I really wish they did not kill the TSX, which best qualities IMO of the old Acura include made in Japan, excellent double wishbone suspension, and JDM/Euro Accord platform made it exceptional compared to the TLX, which is US Accord based.

The performance numbers aren't much better overall than the cheaper Accord Sport. I am curious how quick this power train will be in the ILX. Car & Driver got the 0-60 at 6.2 seconds, which is pretty good.

Bottom line, I wish the new turbo power trains would make their way here but it may be delayed until the next gen of this car.
Could be a matter of opinion. I had a 2004, 2007 and 2011 TSX. I enjoy the nimbleness of my 2015 TLX. I think you need to drive it more than for just a test drive. I have had mine for over 5 months and enjoy the thrill everyday.
Warrior 6 (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Agree with you there, if I wasn't in sport or sport+ the car drove like a Civic, totally dull and tepid engine response.
I think much of this is simply a 're-programming' of our brain/right foot to open the throttle an appropriate amount. This pic is for the system in the CR-Z but the principal is the same. Essentially, any throttle body opening amount can be achieved in all modes, it's only different in the amount of pedal movement needed to achieve XX amount of opening.

IMO, it's not unlike getting familiar with the different brake pedal feel in different models. Just because a car responds 'suddenly' to light brake pressure, doesn't mean its actually braking in shorter distances.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
I havent yet felt any handling inferiority in the TLX compared to my TSX, in fact it squeals its tires less, despite a far far more compliant ride. Any loss in chassis precision through struts isnt really felt as both have the usual vague EPS.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

As a previous owner of a LS400, LS430, and LS600h now, I am curious as to your opinion above.

Using your logic, couldn't we all get by with a 1.3L Honda Fit motor in the TLX? Couldn't it be argued that 200HP 2.4L motor is unnecesssary as well?

Using your logic further, couldn't it be argued, leather and HID and sunroof are unncessary as well?

I imagine a Honda Fit or Toyota Corolla base model is sufficient enough for most of the population in the US/Canada that doesn't have 3 children or need to tow 10,000 lbs, right?

In that case, isn't any car over $18K unnecessary as well?

Just curious where you draw the line, on what is overpowered and unncessary, and what is correctly powered and necessary? Is a V6 in a GT-R necessary and a V8 in a Corvette unnecessary? Or is the 4 cyl SC in my Elise the right combo?

My Lexus LS430 V8 got much better MPG and was much more efficient than my 2011 Mazdapseed 3 (which was a 4 cyl turbo car).
Respectfully, you are reading too much into the V8 remark. I was only talking about engine size, not any other features. In regards to that, in the interest of brevity, I probably picked on the V8 a little too much. My real peeve is that many reviewers always recommend the bigger engine, or express their desire for a bigger engine. Not surprisingly, manufacturers tend to up the anti with every new model, even when, for the most part, the horsepower is more than adequate. New technology tends to give us slightly better fuel economy and significantly more powerful engines, power that for the most part is unnecessary and, in the wrong hands, dangerous. The industry, including reviewers, have created the notion of a large cadre performance drivers who need this power and use it wisely. The reality is that there is a handful of trained performance drivers, and the rest are simply those who like to drive fast. Speed does kill, and excessive speed kills excessively.

High powered cars have helped create an era of too many AH drivers, many i suspect are compensating for other "deficiencies". I can't really tell you what level of HP/torque is excessive power, but i would suggest that 300 plus HP in a smaller car would likely fit the bill. Since most of us live in cities and not deserts, the reality is that AH drivers speed in school zones, weave in and out of traffic, and generally put themselves and others at risk. I realize I am generalizing here, but many people with powerful sporty cars will eventually slip into AH mode from time to time. It's inevitable.

It would be nice if manufacturers used more of the new engine technology and significantly improve fuel economy rather than power. One thing I have always liked about Honda/Acura is that you could buy a nicely equipped 4 cylinder and get great fuel economy. It would be nice to take that a little farther and offer SH-AWD goodies on the 4 cylinder, but I get the volume sales thing. Anyhow, now you know why i kept my comments brief Thus ends this little rant!
The following 6 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
1Louder (03-01-2015), 2012wagon (03-01-2015), CoquiTSX (03-02-2015), Quandry (03-01-2015), Stew4HD (03-01-2015), Warrior 6 (03-01-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
I havent yet felt any handling inferiority in the TLX compared to my TSX, in fact it squeals its tires less, despite a far far more compliant ride. Any loss in chassis precision through struts isnt really felt as both have the usual vague EPS.
I agree. I think the TLX is more stable and composed than the TSX, so I could drive faster with greater control, but the smooth stability feels less "sporty" than the busier ride of the TSX. IMO, the TLX's suspension tuning is outstanding for a daily driver/family road trip machine.

And of course you're right about the deadening effects of the EPS in both cars. I thought the steering in the TLX might have been worse, but that's probably because the Conti DWS has improved the steering feel in my TSX. I wish Acura would pay more attention to steering feel, because it's a real weakness IMO.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
I test drove TSX 5AT and TLX 2.4 8AT before.

The TLX definitely feels a lot more powerful. There's really no comparison.

I think the combination of extra torque, 3 extra gears, and DCT really help.
Is the TLX gears shorter for better acceleration?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Probably the gearing is similar. As with most new motors, the DI engine is making more power in places OTHER than just peak HP. If (for example) the engine is making 12% more power at 4000 RPM, it won't show on the spec sheet but will be felt on the road.
2012wagon (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

^^
Thank you. that makes sense.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts

I spend a lot of time reading reviews for many different cars. One common thing is they all seem to have this one idea of what a "luxury" car should be. V8, RWD, very fast, etc. Everything gets compared to an M3 or S4. But there is a much more diverse market for a luxury car that just the "go fast" crowd. I'm on my 4th Acura now (MDX, TSX, RDX and now TLX). The thing I like about Acura is that they know what they are, and they know what they aren't. And they hit the part of the market segment that wants just enough performance but values a more balanced car - including cost of ownership and maintenance.

To me, if you want 2 and 3 you're just not in the market for an Acura. That's not their segment. I don't see any reason why Acura should "go there", when there are many others already established there. Let BMW, Audi and Lexus fight over those sales IMO. Because in truth, a TLX is many, many things those other cars aren't.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I think much of this is simply a 're-programming' of our brain/right foot to open the throttle an appropriate amount. This pic is for the system in the CR-Z but the principal is the same. Essentially, any throttle body opening amount can be achieved in all modes, it's only different in the amount of pedal movement needed to achieve XX amount of opening.

IMO, it's not unlike getting familiar with the different brake pedal feel in different models. Just because a car responds 'suddenly' to light brake pressure, doesn't mean its actually braking in shorter distances.
Colin, I really appreciate these diagrams and explanations.

I have found that even in my TLX's econ mode, if I press the accelerator hard enough, I will get a good throttle response and the car will just take off! Surely if I did not do that, it would feel very sluggish and slow. It really is a matter of re-learning my driving style to get the best out of this vehicle. Some of us are willing to re-learn while others will not, and that is understandable. Some may argue as to why we need to re-learn at all - should the car not be designed according to our driving style, rather than the other way round? Well, I for one am OK to re-learn and to get used to this gearbox, to get this amazing gas efficiency here!!!

It's all about what our priorities are. The interesting thing about the TLX is that, it can be a very dull highway cruiser if we want it to be, and get the maximum gas mileage out of it, or it can be an aggressive sporty sedan too! I think that most reviewers in magazines probably have not spent enough time in the TLX to get to know it well, so they usually just notice the duller side than the more exciting side of it...
Old 03-01-2015, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

^^
Thank you. that makes sense.
This might give you an idea what I'm taking about. It's a Temple of VTEC dyno showing the Accord DI vs. the older K24 in the TSX. They dyno at virtually the same peak HP (at different RPMs) but on the way to the peak, the Accord is making more power most of the time.

The following 3 users liked this post by Colin:
2012wagon (03-02-2015), hand-filer (03-02-2015), Nedmundo (03-02-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
There is more than one way to address an issue.

Originally Posted by 1Louder
To me, if you want 2 and 3 you're just not in the market for an Acura. That's not their segment.
The #3 issue has been addressed/exceeded by SH-AWD.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Colin
This might give you an idea what I'm taking about. It's a Temple of VTEC dyno showing the Accord DI vs. the older K24 in the TSX. They dyno at virtually the same peak HP (at different RPMs) but on the way to the peak, the Accord is making more power most of the time.
Thank you for that. WOW that makes a huge diff. With graphs like that, I can imagine how the K24 in the TLX will oblitirate the K24 in my TSX.

Gotta love modern tech

Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Is the TLX gears shorter for better acceleration?
TSX 5AT Gear Ratios
Final Drive - 4.438
1st - 2.652 -> 11.8
2nd - 1.614 -> 7.2
3rd - 1.082 -> 4.8
4th - 0.694 -> 3.1
5th - 0.566 -> 2.5

TLX 8DCT Gear Ratios
Final Drive - 4.57
1st - 3.08 -> 14
2nd - 2.18 -> 10
3rd - 1.61 -> 7.4
4th - 1.22 -> 5.6
5th - 0.96 -> 4.4
6th - 0.74 -> 3.4
7th - 0.62 -> 2.8
8th - 0.48 -> 2.2

The TLX's 8-DCT gear ratios definitely cover a much broader range than the 5AT in the TSX as shown above.

The short 1st gear in the TLX definitely helps with the launch.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
2012wagon (03-02-2015), benjaminh (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
TSX 5AT Gear Ratios
Final Drive - 4.438
1st - 2.652 -> 11.8
2nd - 1.614 -> 7.2
3rd - 1.082 -> 4.8
4th - 0.694 -> 3.1
5th - 0.566 -> 2.5

TLX 8DCT Gear Ratios
Final Drive - 4.57
1st - 3.08 -> 14
2nd - 2.18 -> 10
3rd - 1.61 -> 7.4
4th - 1.22 -> 5.6
5th - 0.96 -> 4.4
6th - 0.74 -> 3.4
7th - 0.62 -> 2.8
8th - 0.48 -> 2.2

The TLX's 8-DCT gear ratios definitely cover a much broader range than the 5AT in the TSX as shown above.

The short 1st gear in the TLX definitely helps with the launch.
Yeah that is definitely the key to the acceleration.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
I spend a lot of time reading reviews for many different cars. One common thing is they all seem to have this one idea of what a "luxury" car should be. V8, RWD, very fast, etc. Everything gets compared to an M3 or S4. But there is a much more diverse market for a luxury car that just the "go fast" crowd. I'm on my 4th Acura now (MDX, TSX, RDX and now TLX). The thing I like about Acura is that they know what they are, and they know what they aren't. And they hit the part of the market segment that wants just enough performance but values a more balanced car - including cost of ownership and maintenance.

To me, if you want 2 and 3 you're just not in the market for an Acura. That's not their segment. I don't see any reason why Acura should "go there", when there are many others already established there. Let BMW, Audi and Lexus fight over those sales IMO. Because in truth, a TLX is many, many things those other cars aren't.
Could not have said it any better. Can't understand what V8 and RWD has to do with luxury. I'm waiting for the Adv Pckg (mainly ventilated seats) and it will be game over.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
Could not have said it any better. Can't understand what V8 and RWD has to do with luxury. I'm waiting for the Adv Pckg (mainly ventilated seats) and it will be game over.

Totally agree, what does V8 and RWD have to do with luxury. I'd rather take SH-AWD over rear wheel drive any day. Rear wheel drive is best in dry weather. SH-AWD is excellent in wet or dry weather.

Last edited by dmnguyen; 03-02-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dmnguyen
Totally agree, what does V8 and RWD have to do with luxury.
I agree with the sentiment but there is some validity to the correlation. IMO, "luxury" is something that you don't need, but want anyway. For most, V8 + RWD falls into this category.

I've thought long about this, and have concluded that this is the reason people buy Escalades or Hummers. Since you can't drive your house around, the car is the best way to show your affluence. An Escalade shows that A) you can afford the ridiculous price and B) you can afford to put gas in it.

Now, human psychology being what it is, you still have to complain about the horrible fuel economy, but what you're REALLY doing is bragging that you can afford it, but doing so in a self-deprecating way.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
The #3 issue has been addressed/exceeded by SH-AWD.
I look at it a bit differently. I think FWD, RWD and AWD all have very different driving dynamics and you pick them for very different reasons. I see them as three separate categories. I agree that an AWD delivers power to the rear wheels, and to that extent Honda has addressed part of the intent of "RWD". But the driving dynamic of an AWD is completely different from a pure RWD. I think a large engine RWD car is designed that way to provide a very specific driving experience - an experience that an AWD system would rob you of IMO. So in that light, Honda has not addressed the pure large engine/RWD driving experience, but per my earlier post I don't think they have to - or should.
mapleloaf (03-10-2015)