AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Spoiler (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/spoiler-964771/)

stensj34 11-25-2017 03:49 PM

Spoiler

I know I've seen others having problems with their spoiler they had install non stock. I had one put on my '15 TLX. First the tape came undone so I had to take it back, they then polyurethaned it to the trunk lid. Now its starting to pull up off the trunk again. Anyone else have problems like this? I'll have to take it back in but had I know this was going to be the outcome I would have never done it. Just looking for solutions on what you may have done to get the spoiler to stick to the trunk and not start to come undone. Any help is appreciated.

Crashmaster 11-26-2017 05:24 AM

I own a 2015 TLX and was very unhappy about the appearance of the rear spoiler, so much so, that I picked a vehicle that did not have a rear spoiler. I just figured why pay extra for this rear spoiler that was not able to be installed correctly on every car I looked at. It's obviously an incorrectly designed part. I know of others who have taken it back to the dealer to have it redone and redone, sometimes coming out better than before as there is a little adjustment. It does tend to 'bow' up or come up in places and the tape or poly just won't keep it down. Sorry, I stand by what I said: It's an incorrectly designed part.

stensj34 11-27-2017 10:19 AM

No question about it that the part if faulty. It just puts a sour taste in my mouth that I paid a good price to have this attached and it keeps lifting up off the trunk deck. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any luck for a permanent solution for this. Guess not haha!

Crashmaster 11-27-2017 05:24 PM

Unless you can get the body shop manager to make some non-factory type of attachment between the spoiler and rear deck, it will likely continue to pull up. Perhaps some added bolts and drill holes.

drinaldis 11-28-2017 03:53 PM

Anyone try to fit the new (2018) A-Spec spoiler to pre'18 cars??

honda_nut 11-29-2017 04:38 PM

There's also a new spoiler that comes standard on the advanced packages, similar to the aspec one but in color. I'm tempted to buy it, but then again don't know how long I plan on keeping this car.

Denali05 11-29-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by drinaldis (Post 16139691)
Anyone try to fit the new (2018) A-Spec spoiler to pre'18 cars??

I haven't seen anyone do it yet, but fitment should not be an issue. The truck design has not changed.

drinaldis 11-30-2017 06:45 PM

Here are the part numbers for the 2018 A-Spec spoiler. Those with non-2018 colors will need to use Black or paint to sample

Spoiler - 71700-TZ3-A11
Fasteners and clips - Not sure of quantities
90308-SZW-003
90602-SX0-003
91513-TK8-A01

honda_nut 12-01-2017 11:57 AM

Actually, the A-spec spoiler only comes in black. The non A-spec spoiler for the Advanced models will come in body color.

drinaldis 12-01-2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by honda_nut (Post 16141781)
Actually, the A-spec spoiler only comes in black. The non A-spec spoiler for the Advanced models will come in body color.

Ooohhh, good catch !!

drbobandy 12-01-2017 02:44 PM

Not really an answer you might be looking for, but I had issues with my spoiler as well. It actually flew off going down the highway on a road trip. It was quite embarrassing to have to stop in traffic to go get the spoiler for a $35,000 + car.

stensj34 12-01-2017 11:38 PM

Oh God that had to be embarrassing. What did you wind up doing with the spoiler? The body shop that did mine the 2nd time polyurethaned it onto the trunk. The guy said its the same type of glue they put on windshields. I emailed Acura about it the other day to let them know how mad I was that I'm having a spoiler issue on a luxury car. I got the standard "thanks for the feedback" email. I can't see myself dropping big cash on another Acura after this debacle.

anthuny85 12-04-2017 11:06 PM

I actually just bought the piano black aspec spoiler from the 2018 model, for my 2015. The parts guy said it should fit, as he didnt think the trunk changed either....only problem is...theres no installation instructions/templates as the aspec models come factory with it pre installed...so im picking it up tomorrow to see how i can make it work. From what we gathered, it is held on by push thru clips that go through holes in the trunk, and some 3m tape on the ends. I really want it on, since itll flow with all my other mods. I wish it had a template to drill the holes...it has to be available somewhere.

I was thinking if anything i could shave off the pins where the clips would attach and maybe just 3m the whole thing somehow...figure itll only be a $100 mistake.

If anyone has other insights or have done it, let me know please!

KTDJ 12-05-2017 12:55 AM

Maybe client relations can give you an engineering diagram of the hole locations from their factory line? You know they have it, just a matter if the want to give it to you.

drinaldis 12-06-2017 06:51 PM

Making a template is easy enough if the spoiler doesn't have protrusions on the bottom side (or if they can be temporarily removed). Put a bunch of tape on the trunk lid, place the spoiler where you want it, and trace around it. Remove the spoiler, flip it over and make a template of the bottom side outline and centers on the mounting points. Take that template and place it on the lid aligning it with the traced outline in the first step. Center punch the screw holes......................

Good luck