so no 2018 TLX in Detroit Auto Show?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017 | 09:51 AM
Racer

so no 2018 TLX in Detroit Auto Show?

i was expecting Acura to unveil the refreshed TLX this week, oh well, i guess not.
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:13 AM
Team Owner

I don't think it's ready yet. It may show up at a later car show though. I'm sure it will be released in the next 3-4 months.
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:31 AM
mk5
Instructor

Notably, the 2018 Honda Accord (FMC -- complete redesign) was a no-show, as well. They usually play that close to the chest until September/October of the new release year. I miss the days of counting on a complete FMC every four years.
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm all for the extra time if they are fine tuning things that people really want like new dash, engine, transmission changes etc. If they are taking the extra time to smooth out the lines with the new front beak, well I'd be very disappointed since it's really not stuff that people are screaming to have
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:37 AM
Team Owner

they won't do that much for a MMC. At that point they might as well just build an all new car. It is cost prohibitive.

keep in mind that Acura put a shit ton of resources to build the car, from design, retooling factories, you name it, to be able to build a new car. With that, they likely also calculate what their inherent cost was to develop the car, and then make forecasts as to how long it will take them to recoupe their investment, but also how long the car will be profitable and how much.

While there was a civic that was redesigned in short order, it's not something Acura or Honda normally do. It also made sense for the civic- it's Hondas best selling car and they wanted to ensure their car didn't lose its place in the market.

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-11-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacoBello
they won't do that much for a MMC. At that point they might as well just build an all new car. It is cost prohibitive.
You laugh but my 12 TL was a MMC and it got a new 6sp transmission from the old 5sp. Miracles are possible!
Old 01-11-2017 | 11:44 AM
Team Owner

That is a fairly minor change. Changing the interior, exterior, engines and transmissions? That's an all new car.

Im sure Honda and Acura always expect some kind of investment into their cars at MMC...
Old 01-11-2017 | 12:56 PM
Racer

it'd be a total disappointment if MMC just consists of redesigned grille and exposed exhaust tips. from the look of things, this is very possible.
Old 01-11-2017 | 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello

keep in mind that Acura put a shit ton of resources to build the car, from design, retooling factories, you name it, to be able to build a new car. With that, they likely also calculate what their inherent cost was to develop the car, and then make forecasts as to how long it will take them to recoupe their investment, but also how long the car will be profitable and how much.

While there was a civic that was redesigned in short order, it's not something Acura or Honda normally do. It also made sense for the civic- it's Hondas best selling car and they wanted to ensure their car didn't lose its place in the market.
You can't forget that they redesigned the 3G TL after only 5 years on the market despite reasonably good sales throughout (sold like 75k in the US for 2004-2006 and then dropped to mid 40's for the last 2 years). Then sadly the 4G came out and sales fell even harder to 35k per year at most even in the first year (though arguably this was during the recession and Acura wanted to move upmarket).

My whole point with that is that Honda has done a FMC on a model that was still reasonably young and sales were pretty good. So it is possible that they may change the TLX dramatically...though I won't call a change in transmission dramatic. On the other hand the 2G RDX got a pretty thorough makeover with a bunch of really critical changes made where you can see/touch easily.
Old 01-12-2017 | 02:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kevTL888
it'd be a total disappointment if MMC just consists of redesigned grille and exposed exhaust tips. from the look of things, this is very possible.
Yes, it's always possible to be underwhelmed by MMC's from Honda and Acura. But with the new Civic's turbo punch, Acura can't waste too much time catching up. So far, the ILX and base TLX have been on par with the Civic Si for power (if not power/weight), but that's about to change unless the Acuras get some additional mojo. IIRC, Acura announced last year that it would be getting Honda's best engines and emphasizing AWD, so if that's true it should start soon.
Old 01-12-2017 | 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

I would imagine someone at Acura might consider a new model sooner for the TLX. The TLX is down in sales about 10,000 units this year. They could just say hey, we give up on the RLX - here is a new direction - basically make it a competitor pricewise for the ILX or TLX and then drop one of them at the end of the year. I imagine based on the above assumption how much it costs for R&D that they are losing money on the ILX and RLX considering the number of units they sell and with sales plummeting for the TLX the writing is on the wall. Sure the December numbers are up as I'm sure Acura is heavily discounting in December to get the numbers up. I think the 3G in 2004 and 2005 sold nearly double per year what the current sales number was for this year - considering how fast they pulled the 3G when its sales numbers went down - it might make sense.

I'm not saying I expect Acura to do this but to me it might make good business sense.

Last edited by boe_d; 01-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2017 | 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

it's the first month of 2017 so i don't understand why would you expect to see the 2018 TLX. A concept or new generation vehicle maybe, but not a the TLX
Old 01-21-2017 | 05:48 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by kevTL888
If I had to place a wager, this outcome is a safe bet.
Old 01-22-2017 | 10:26 PM
6th Gear

With the MDX not really showcasing any new features for Acura Watch or much else, I wouldn't expect any groundbreaking changes to be released for a 2018 TLX soon. Ideally the longer we wait to hear details the better if you are wanting significant changes to the TLX. They need to showcase the MDX for now and if they roll out a drastically improved TLX that won't make MDX owners real happy
Old 01-22-2017 | 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcaley15
They need to showcase the MDX for now and if they roll out a drastically improved TLX that won't make MDX owners real happy
Well one's a sedan and the other's an SUV so nobody should be offended, being very different folks. The same could be said when the 17 MDX got a new nose and the 17 TLX got jack sh....

Last edited by pyrodan007; 01-22-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2017 | 11:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Well one's a sedan and the other's an SUV so nobody should be offended, being very different folks. The same could be said when the 17 MDX got a new nose and the 17 TLX got jack sh....
'17 MDX was MMC while the '17 TLX was a carryover, that's why it didn't get the grille. I could see some being upset/confused if the TLX were to get something like a digital instrument cluster (not going to happen, just an example) or something significant like that, so yes they are going to keep the features consistent in the MDX and TLX.
Old 01-23-2017 | 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by atl7
'17 MDX was MMC while the '17 TLX was a carryover, that's why it didn't get the grille. I could see some being upset/confused if the TLX were to get something like a digital instrument cluster (not going to happen, just an example) or something significant like that, so yes they are going to keep the features consistent in the MDX and TLX.
My post was more related to tech changes more than MMC. If some tech is not ready, they cannot stall the MMC and risk being further behind on other things. Just look at Audi, they started the Virtual Cockpit on the TT (I believe) and slowly integrated it to other cars. Didn't really hurt things and it gets people excited for more things to come. The thing that hurts Acura customers is that we just don't know what they working on and plan to introduce in the very near future. We only find out a few months before release.
Old 01-23-2017 | 09:27 PM
Volvo Defector

NY auto show is on 4/14. Pretty sure that's where we will see MMC. Wonder if android auto and car play will come with.
im sure AcuraWatch will be split off from Advance and Tech packages like the rest of the lineup.

Maybe hybrid 3.0L with 7spd DCT from MDX will come later. Smaller displacement hybrid engine should help with better weight distribution and handling.

Last edited by reddogTL; 01-23-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2017 | 12:46 PM
Advanced

2018 TLX Spy Photos

Temple of VTEC just posted spy photos.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1304813
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Axe:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-24-2017), Curious3GTL (01-24-2017)
Old 01-25-2017 | 07:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Axe
I think I liked the photochopped versions better. Glad I didn't wait for this.
Old 02-12-2017 | 04:56 PM
Team Owner

Another member mentioned there are rumors on TOV regarding power train upgrades (aka guessing that means a Type S).

Many of us flew off the handle when we read the latest press release regarding the TLX and how there will be an A-Spec package but it will not have any power upgrades. But if you think about it, the A-spec package never did have power upgrades. It mostly was an aesthetic package with slightly firmer suspension and that's it. It seems acura is sticking to this methodology and I think it makes sense.

However, the article never mentioned anything about a Type S. I'm thinking if the MMC updates were just related to the front and rear fascias being updated, we would have seen the car at a car show already. Dropping a new engine in isn't as easy. I can see them being hush hush with it until it is unveiled.

I'm starting to think there is some sporty trim coming. I wonder if it will use the 2.0T out of the civic type r. Like the 3G TL-S, the A-spec package was available for it and the base car as well.