Say Goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:49 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
In Alberta as of Jan 1 this year (so already in effect) anyone caught distracted driving (cell phone, putting on makeup, eating with more than one hand or eating something distracting like soup - officer's call, etc) is hit with 3 points on their license plus a $287 fine. They suspend your license if you have 15 or more.

However, Manitoba it's 5 points! I think that's what it should be. Or you get caught twice, and they should pull it.
Since 2014 the fine in NYC for a first offense is $200 and I believe 5 points (BTW 11 points and your license gets suspended for 120 days). And since NYC considers this a moving violation, once reported it is possible your insurance premiums will increase.

And even with this, most people continue to use their phone with no regard to the consequences.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
... eating with more than one hand or eating something ....
...or someone? (LMAO)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Since 2014 the fine in NYC for a first offense is $200 and I believe 5 points (BTW 11 points and your license gets suspended for 120 days). And since NYC considers this a moving violation, once reported it is possible your insurance premiums will increase.

And even with this, most people continue to use their phone with no regard to the consequences.
Your premiums will go up and for the next 3 years. Insurance companies monitor this for an opportunity to make more. In this case, they deserve the increase as the driver has shown very poor judgement.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
Your premiums will go up and for the next 3 years. Insurance companies monitor this for an opportunity to make more. In this case, they deserve the increase as the driver has shown very poor judgement.
I agree they do deserve it, and the worse part is the fines and increased premiums don't deter most people from continuing to use their phones even after they get caught. My neighbor is a NYPD Lt. He told me a story of another officer who pulled over a young girl recently for being on her phone.

Of course she was pissed because she didn't think she was doing anything wrong. So he writes her a ticket and she pulls back onto the road first. Not a mile down the road he observes her swerving slightly, so he pulls up along her right side and she's texting again..

He pulls her over again and she actually tells the officer "I was texting my mom to let her know I got a ticket". He was furious and considered having her towed but instead told her to call her mom because he wanted to speak to her.

He told the girls mother that this was the second time in 20 mins that he pulled over her daughter, and that she should take the car away from her before she kills someone. He explained that her license is going to be suspended because he was issuing her two more tickets, one for texting and one for reckless driving.

And the sad part is, there are more people out there like this girl who just don't get it.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I think CA and AZ are the only states still using these stupid things.
We have them here in the Atlanta area as well. The state DOT swears they help with congestion, but I'm not sure that claim meets the eye test.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Glad nobody got hurt.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Metered ramps on freeways are an abomination. They're an invitation to rear-end accidents, and they also endanger cars already on the freeway since they don't let the cars entering get up to speed fast enough to merge.

There are used in DC also.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Metered ramps on freeways are an abomination. They're an invitation to rear-end accidents, and they also endanger cars already on the freeway since they don't let the cars entering get up to speed fast enough to merge.

We turned ours back on here in this part of PA (Philly) on 476. If people use them correctly studies have shown that they can actually work but in most cases I agree that they are useless and cause more trouble than they are worth.

OP, that really sucks but glad everyone is okay!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
OP... your TLX already on Auction... wow, you put 33K miles already

Estimated Repair Cost $22,735

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...oadRecent=True
The following users liked this post:
Curious3GTL (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 562 Likes on 358 Posts
Look at all those lights on the dash! I have never even seen most of those before. It looks like they now have one to tell you that you've been rear ended. I have no idea what the one next to the tachometer is.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Look at all those lights on the dash! I have never even seen most of those before. It looks like they now have one to tell you that you've been rear ended. I have no idea what the one next to the tachometer is.
Lmao no, it's for the forward collision system or something.