Road Departure Mitigation System

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Road Departure Mitigation System

I have been looking for video on youtube and online and haven't been able to find anything. How well does the system work? Has anyone found a situation where this has taken over for them? I seems kinda of scary to think that if the car is about to go off the road the car will take over. I am guessing that is how it work..
Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a TLX Advanced V6 SH-AWD and am still on the fence about the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) (which tugs the wheel) and the Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS). I think part of it is my own apprehension but I have had two surprise/wtf moments while the features intruded in my driving. I'll start by saying that I think the systems are helpful.

I haven't had an opportunity thankfully to see the RDMS try to keep me from leaving the highway. I have gotten the amber head-up warning to brake though while big city driving. I'd say that I probably see it every few days mostly because someone suddenly slams on their brakes without signalling to make a right turn and they come to a sudden stop. I think it's helpful but it's very odd feeling to have the car begin braking just as my mind is thinking "I should brake... that car ahead of me is stopping suddenly."

The LKAS won't prevent you from full on steering off the road but it will basically keep you in between the lines of a straight or slightly curving lane. It definitely is not suppose to take control of the wheel fully. It's suppose to do very minor corrections and kinda wake you up.

My biggest complaint is the LKAS because in a few cases it tugged the steering wheel at very bad times. Not so hard that I was even close to losing control but it scared the heck out of me. I wish there was maybe a way to ascertain whether or not the system was getting confused or about to trigger beforehand just so it wouldn't be so surprising.

Re: my worst experience , I was going 75mph downhill in dense traffic on a major highway at night. There were 4 lanes of cars around me as we were headed into a steady sweeping lefthand turn. The lines on the road had been recently repainted to where you could see the new lines moving in a different path than the old lines. Also, the grooved highway surface was visually very prominent and going in the same direction as the old lines. As I went around the turn, suddenly the steering wheel resisted and then there was a tugging sensation which freaked me out. I was side-by-side with other cars. This was the last thing I needed at that speed. Fortunately, I had two hands on the wheel and was wide awake. But I'll tell you that I did blurt out an four-letter expletive and was pretty irritated with the LKAS, which I promptly turned off for the remaining 150 miles of that trip.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for sharing that experience... good to keep in context of the situations where LKAS might not be desirable.

Originally Posted by HattoriHonda
Re: my worst experience , I was going 75mph downhill in dense traffic on a major highway at night. There were 4 lanes of cars around me as we were headed into a steady sweeping lefthand turn. The lines on the road had been recently repainted to where you could see the new lines moving in a different path than the old lines. Also, the grooved highway surface was visually very prominent and going in the same direction as the old lines. As I went around the turn, suddenly the steering wheel resisted and then there was a tugging sensation which freaked me out. I was side-by-side with other cars. This was the last thing I needed at that speed. Fortunately, I had two hands on the wheel and was wide awake. But I'll tell you that I did blurt out an four-letter expletive and was pretty irritated with the LKAS, which I promptly turned off for the remaining 150 miles of that trip.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
I seems kinda of scary to think that if the car is about to go off the road the car will take over.
"Take over" is a bit extreme statements of what the car will do. As per p375 of the Handbook, it will apply braking if there is insufficient steering to keep the car on the road and the car is crossing solid lines. It does not control or adjust the steering.

Originally Posted by HattoriHonda
I have a TLX Advanced V6 SH-AWD and am still on the fence about the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) (which tugs the wheel) and the Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS).

Re: my worst experience , I was going 75mph downhill in dense traffic on a major highway at night. There were 4 lanes of cars around me as we were headed into a steady sweeping lefthand turn. The lines on the road had been recently repainted to where you could see the new lines moving in a different path than the old lines.
Suggest that you need to be very aware of the systems that you have activated (LKAS is off by default), and learn as you drive. Driving at 75 mph downhill using systems that you are not very familiar with is asking for trouble.

I have had zero surprises with LKAS, but have discovered that there are some limitation with ACC, e.g., the car that you are following changes lanes or you are going over the crest of a hill where the system take a few seconds to reacquire a new target.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
I have been looking for video on youtube and online and haven't been able to find anything. How well does the system work? Has anyone found a situation where this has taken over for them? I seems kinda of scary to think that if the car is about to go off the road the car will take over. I am guessing that is how it work..
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but LKAS does not control the car for you once your car veers off into the ditch. It only helps you while you're awake but unaware of being crossing onto the other lanes, then you will feel that little push on the steering wheel.

I don't know much about the ACC on the TLX, but the on the Accord Touring is vary. Sometimes it would do a smooth slow down at a distance, then at time it would get close to few car's lengths then intrusively slow the car down. I tested that a few times on clear and less traffic nights.

Honestly, I don't trust any of these new sensing systems, just keeping in mind that they're there to help not take over.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
LKAS is will steer the car, keeping in the the middle of a well marked lane on both sides. Add it only operates for 15 seconds at a time, and is limited to straight or gently curving lanes. I consider it a mild safety feature. It helps reduce driver fatigue on a long trip and subtly trains you to keep the car in the center of the lane.

LDM will warn you by shaking the steering wheel if he car is drifting over the line.

RDM will apply braking if the car is crossing a solid line if there is insufficient steering.

If you are in the ditch, nothing worked. Trusting implies that you could be careless of have fallen asleep and expect that the sensing systems will have looked after you. I use them as an aid to the extent of their limitations.