Outside Temperature Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outside Temperature Display

I have a question about the outside temperature display. When you start the car, does it display the current outside temperature or is it still holding the temperature from when you last shut off the car. I've noticed since my last service visit that when I start my car it still displays the temperature from when I last drove the car. For instance this morning I started my car and it displayed the outside temperature to be 70 degrees, which it was the previous afternoon when I shut off the car, and the HVAC system started blowing cool air. In reality the temperature was really 48 degrees and as I sat in the car for a minute or two the outside reading slowly decreased until it reached 48 degrees and the HVAC system finally stopped blowing cold air. Now when I leave work this afternoon the reverse will happen because it's warmer now than it was this morning and it will take a couple of minutes for the car to register the correct outside temperature. It's gitting a bit annoying now that there is such a range of temperature between morning and afternoon.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
It takes time to show the true temperature. Not sure about it showing the last registered temp. In my 01 TL, I read the manual and for temperature it said the car had to be moving something like 19 mph + and it would adjust. So on a hot day I would hop in and it might read say 110 degrees and as I started driving it would slowly go down 1 degree at a time till it hit the correct temp, say 90. So you gotta give it 5 minutes(ish) to tell the correct temp
Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. That's not quite what happening to me. If it's 50 degrees outside when I shut my car off in the morning and the temperature in the afternoon gets up in the 70s or 80s my car still displays 50 degrees when I start it up. For some reason the car is holding the temperature reading from when I last shut it off.

Also I've recently noticed I am longer receiving warnings for low fuel level. I used to get the warning when the trip computer showed 50-55 miles to go before empty. Currently my trip computer shows less than 40 miles until empty and the gas gauge is one hash mark above the red Empty line yet there is now low fuel level message. Both of these issues have appeared since my last service visit which was to replace the high pressure fuel pump. Any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Hm, yeah weird about the temperature display. I dont have that issue. I would tell your dealer. As far as the gas pump, that I am not sure about, btw is that supposed to read "I am NO longer receiving warnings for low fuel level"?? Sounds like you have a problem. Since they replaced the fuel pump looks like something went wrong. Something to tell the dealer also. Luckily both minor things but might as well get them fixes since that is not how it is supposed to be
Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
On my TLX, it'll show the final temperature from the last trip on ignition but will adjust to the correct temperature in less than 30s of driving.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 AM
Intermediate

Spoiler, you are correct, that should have read that I was NO longer receiving the low fuel messages. My fingers have trouble keeping up with my brain sometimes.

As far as the temperature display goes, I distinctly remember starting the car last summer after it had been sitting outside on a hot asphalt parking lot and having the display read over 100 degrees. I would expect a reading like that and after a minute or two it would start to fall into the high 80s to match the ambient air temperature. So at some point my car was keeping up with the outside temperature. It would make sense that the car would be updating the outside temperature while parked so the computer would calculate the proper air/fuel mixture and also set the auto climate controls for the current conditions. As I mentioned earlier, yesterday morning my car held the reading of 70 degrees from the previous afternoon when the outside air temperature was really 48 degrees.