New TLX makes me wish I had my old TL back

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by PRNole47

Now I see why the sales staff kept on wanting me to trade my 12 for the 15. As one of them told me: "We're looking for 12s and 13s right now. They're 'hot' right now and we can give you a terrific deal on the 15."
Wait...you actually bought that line? Welcome to Sales 101.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Kind of like getting those junk mail flyers saying they want my car, just come on in!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
...the member didn't buy on that line and kept his 2012 TL I agree though, some would fall for it *lol*
Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 47 Posts
Needed a good read this morning!

Some really good insight in here. The pluses just FARRRRR out way the negatives in the TLX to me. Like stated many of the complaints can be fixed with shortcuts and software updates will correct any problems that my arise in the future.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I really love my TLX. But based on my experience, my 3G still had the best interior material wise. But the 4G and 5G are equal in most areas in the interior.

Did you know you can customize the order of your Audio Sources? I just moved all the ones I don't use to the very end and prioritized the order based on what I use most. Then just a quick flick of the Audio Source button on the steering wheel I can make the change easily.

My only gripe right now is the tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny Home Link buttons!! And to top it off, they put it right beside the HUGE Acura Link button. So many times I end up calling Acura Link then have to press the hang up. Maybe next time I'll tell them to open my garage door for me.

I Love the Auto Seat Warmer and the Heated Steering wheel!!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
No, the TLX it does not come with Run Flat Tires. Look to BMW for that.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Kind of like getting those junk mail flyers saying they want my car, just come on in!
Actually, that happened to me when I owned one of my 2 RLs in the past. I had just purchased a 2005 RL and had it in the shop for routine service, at about 18 months of ownership, when the Gen Mgr, whom I had known well during the past several years of Acura ownership, approached me and offered me a brand new 2007 for no extra cash down and keeping the same payments I had with my 05. He told me the 05s were in high demand and he could kill 2 birds with one stone: Sell a 2005 to a customer that had been looking for one and move an 07 off his lot. I did the deal and cost me nothing extra. Basically a swap of an 05 for an 07.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by camelhive
- indeed, the shortcuts indicate somebody understood there's a problem, and yet they are too many clicks and too much waiting time away. While we're at it, doesn't everyone fill it's silly how, in the gas station, when you use accessory mode and then ignite - you have to go through the entire set of screens again? Why oh why oh why?
Ok you asked, why oh why, so I will propose an answer.

The designers started with the goal of eliminating buttons and to provide a touch screen to handle the features and controls for the Advance/Elite trim. Mission accomplished. Then they turned their attention to the Base and Tech models using the Advance as the starting point. Auto functions were eliminated leaving a workable but not necessarily optimal implementation. They could not realistically start adding back physical buttons.

Consider this situation to older cars that had auto up/down windows (premium models) vs those that did not (base models), or those that had remote door lock/unlock vs those that required a key. If you agree that the design of functions in the Advance is good then it may help to accept the compromise that was made for the Base and Tech.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quandry:
NJToyMan (02-03-2015), Stew4HD (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Do you guys even read your manual anymore??? You can set your hvac settings and seat heat preference under shortcuts. Therefore, you dont have to toggle through the screens every time. Simply hit shortcuts and select your preset saved setting.

Same goes for Audio Sources, you can remove or modify audio sources so you dont have to scroll through the ones that you never use.

Manual is your friend....
Okay - so I saved a shorcut that will now turn on seat heaters for both seats with 2 to 3 button presses. This saves us 1 - 2 presses every time we exit/enter the car!!

For the record I realize this is a First World Problem and the touch screen is easy to use - no question - but just because something is easy to use doesn't make it a good user experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-03-2015), fsttyms1 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
another dissatisfied customer and the number is counting
Old 02-04-2015, 03:14 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree on most people's points and opinions here. Since I bought my TLX two months ago, I have received three survey requests by email and one by phone call. I have completed them all. Because I have driven three Acuras in the last 10 years, I like my voice being heard. You guys should take some time to complete those surveys (if you have not) so that Acura will learn all the hits and misses on the new TLX. They should and most likely to correct on the next model.

Now I wonder if Acura actually monitors this forum like in the way Apple does to its to collect customers' opinions and complaints.
The following users liked this post:
camelhive (02-06-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Okay - so I saved a shorcut that will now turn on seat heaters for both seats with 2 to 3 button presses. This saves us 1 - 2 presses every time we exit/enter the car!!

For the record I realize this is a First World Problem and the touch screen is easy to use - no question - but just because something is easy to use doesn't make it a good user experience.
UPDATE!!!!

I got in the car this morning and pushed the climate shortcut I setup yesterday and the heated seats DO NOT come on?????

So - are the heated seat settings not stored in the shortcut? Can someone verify that they get the same behaviour?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Actually, that happened to me when I owned one of my 2 RLs in the past. I had just purchased a 2005 RL and had it in the shop for routine service, at about 18 months of ownership, when the Gen Mgr, whom I had known well during the past several years of Acura ownership, approached me and offered me a brand new 2007 for no extra cash down and keeping the same payments I had with my 05. He told me the 05s were in high demand and he could kill 2 birds with one stone: Sell a 2005 to a customer that had been looking for one and move an 07 off his lot. I did the deal and cost me nothing extra. Basically a swap of an 05 for an 07.
but, by doing this you extended the life of your loan, no?
sounds like the dealer pulled a fast one on you.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Acura-OC (02-06-2015), ggesq (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I realized today that the sales guy at the dealership did not give me a walk through of the car, which is very different than when I got the TL 3 years ago. I think a lot of my questions could have been addressed by him. For example, I was surprised to find today that the TLX 2015 Tech don't have a spare tire - only an electric air pump. Better not drive too far from home then, definitely not on some desolate road where the Acura roadside service can't find you. The owners manual makes no mention of that; did any of you bother to check?
Your dealer should have mentioned the Tire Inflation Kit in your walk-through that you didn't have. But anyways, you can purchase a spare tire kit from your Acura Dealer if you prefer a spare on hand.

Also the Acura Youtube site has an instruction videos on the tire inflation kit.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 02-04-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
UPDATE!!!!

I got in the car this morning and pushed the climate shortcut I setup yesterday and the heated seats DO NOT come on?????

So - are the heated seat settings not stored in the shortcut? Can someone verify that they get the same behaviour?

Thanks!

There are multiple threads about the seat heaters in the "problems and fixes" section of this forum. The problem is there don't seem to be any fixes. The second problem is Acura doesn't seem to acknowledge that they have yet another pretty widespread problem. Good Luck. I just keep remembering the press release from Acura saying they delayed the introduction of the TLX so they could make sure they got all the bugs worked out before they sent it to showrooms.....yea, right!

Last edited by JonfromCB; 02-04-2015 at 09:30 AM.
camelhive (02-06-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
but, by doing this you extended the life of your loan, no?
sounds like the dealer pulled a fast one on you.
Haha! Nope. When we were in his office discussing his offer and I told him I had no interest if the terms of my loan would change or I had to give some additional cash down, he said he expected to make enough on the trade-in (my '05) that it would not affect the finances of my new '07 in any way.

In essence, we just swapped cars -- an '05 RL for an '07 RL.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
There are multiple threads about the seat heaters in the "problems and fixes" section of this forum. The problem is there don't seem to be any fixes. The second problem is Acura doesn't seem to acknowledge that they have yet another pretty widespread problem. Good Luck. I just keep remembering the press release from Acura saying they delayed the introduction of the TLX so they could make sure they got all the bugs worked out before they sent it to showrooms.....yea, right!
Right - however I don't think this is an issue with the seat heater - mine work fine. I'm trying to find out if the setting for the heated seats is supposed to be included on a climate shortcut. After trying to get it to work this morning I noticed the seat heater icon isn't displayed in the shortcut section which makes me think the setting isn't supposed to be saved - as mine wasn't. Curious if others can report back with their experience.

Cheers!
camelhive (02-06-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Haha! Nope. When we were in his office discussing his offer and I told him I had no interest if the terms of my loan would change or I had to give some additional cash down, he said he expected to make enough on the trade-in (my '05) that it would not affect the finances of my new '07 in any way.

first time, ive heard that!

in sales, we call that technique a flip.
we make you come in that day to get a sale.
the salesman makes commission off of you and has the chance to sell your old vehicle for more commission

he flipped you to make a sale that day.
congrats on negotiating the same loan terms and etc.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
first time, ive heard that!

in sales, we call that technique a flip.
we make you come in that day to get a sale.
the salesman makes commission off of you and has the chance to sell your old vehicle for more commission

he flipped you to make a sale that day.
congrats on negotiating the same loan terms and etc.
I didn't mind. I trusted him since we had a 6-year no nonsense relationship by that time. Wouldn't do it today, though, he's now the GM at a local MB dealer down the road. The new Acura GM is something else. When the time came for me to trade my last RL for the smaller and re-invigorated 4th gen TL, he tried to get me into the new (at that time) ISL What a joke!

Unfortunately the "team" that I had dealt with since 2000 (the old GM and the sales rep that sole me all my Acuras), are no longer there. Instead, they're staffed by people that still refer to the Japanese as "those Japs."

Probably time to move on after I'm done with my '12 TL.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Instructor

When the time came for me to trade my last RL for the smaller and re-invigorated 4th gen TL, he tried to get me into the new (at that time) ISL What a joke!
Sorry, I meant ILX, not ISL.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I didn't mind. I trusted him since we had a 6-year no nonsense relationship by that time. Wouldn't do it today, though, he's now the GM at a local MB dealer down the road. The new Acura GM is something else. When the time came for me to trade my last RL for the smaller and re-invigorated 4th gen TL, he tried to get me into the new (at that time) ISL What a joke!

Unfortunately the "team" that I had dealt with since 2000 (the old GM and the sales rep that sole me all my Acuras), are no longer there. Instead, they're staffed by people that still refer to the Japanese as "those Japs."

Probably time to move on after I'm done with my '12 TL.

I think Acura Customer Relations should be made aware of those new people.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

But human interface is a different issue. On that, I don't expect to see such an obvious regression: a navigation interface that used to work while driving is now blocked; handy physical buttons being tucked away under virtual buttons menus and heir settings cleared when the car is stopped, a dashboard computer that's too slow to interact with - all these things are very disappointing. I used to hear my friends, back in 2008, raving about the comfort of their MDXs and how the Acura's technology was ahead of the curve. I enjoyed a sense of that in my 2012 Acura, but can't attest to any of it in 2015.

Following your advice, I tried voice commands today, and spent the last 10 minutes of my trip trying to cancel my route; the car got into an awkward state of trying to satisfy my wills by ejecting CDs at me, switching audio source and turning on/off the climate control. Next time I'll try it in a faux-French accent, who knows...

I guess I'll have to do some adjustment, learn to do more voice commands and perhaps just acknowledge I'm going through that thing you wrote - "buyers remorse". I'll keep following on Acurazine to see what others are going through.

One thing that is happening across the automotive industry is that a few years ago we had cars with gizmos in them. It has transitioned almost to the point that we now have computers/gizmos that happen to also get you from A to B. In other words the emphasis has been on all of the high-tech bells and whistles.

Human interface and usability is a burgeoning field, one that my son happens to be in. A lot of money is being spent by companies of all types in terms of making the user experience more friendly and intuitive.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

... in the year 2525....
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The right solution for Acura would have been to revisit the single touch screen with supplementary buttons for key functions used in the 3G TL. This interface is the still the easiest and most intuitive system I've used across all manufacturers. I've driven the TLX extensively and there are things I like and things I don't. I'm not compelled to purchase at this point (still driving my 3G and Lexus), but am optimistic about Acura's efforts to improve.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by vai777
The right solution for Acura would have been to revisit the single touch screen with supplementary buttons for key functions used in the 3G TL. This interface is the still the easiest and most intuitive system I've used across all manufacturers. I've driven the TLX extensively and there are things I like and things I don't. I'm not compelled to purchase at this point (still driving my 3G and Lexus), but am optimistic about Acura's efforts to improve.
They're close IMO - some things they got right - like the little toggle switches that allow you to go up/down in temp. Those are awesome and very intuitive. The volume wheel on the steering wheel is awesome too - I think you'll see this copied on other cars in the future. The dual screen display, while mocked in the media is very functional and not hard to figure out once you've spent a little time with it.
Quandry (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
FWIW, maybe if you guys make this gripe known, you could actually convince acura to do something to change it.

When I got the 335 in 07, the only way to change between FM/AM/CD/SAT/AUX was by scrolling through them in the iDrive menu (at least 3 menus away to access) or setting one of the two wheel shortcuts a switch for it. Additionally, the only way to go to your presets was through idrive or a left right arrow scroll button. No direct preset access.

It was probably one of the biggest complaints by owners outside of the fuel pump (which they quickly replaced and gave away 100k warranties on). By 08, there were preset buttons on the dash. By 09, the iDrive knob was surrounded by buttons to shortcut through the idrive menu.

Fight the man!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

i guess it's possible if the dealer has a buyer on standby for the '05 RL and was ready to buy.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Right - however I don't think this is an issue with the seat heater - mine work fine. I'm trying to find out if the setting for the heated seats is supposed to be included on a climate shortcut. After trying to get it to work this morning I noticed the seat heater icon isn't displayed in the shortcut section which makes me think the setting isn't supposed to be saved - as mine wasn't. Curious if others can report back with their experience.

Cheers!
My TLX failed to keep the seat heating settings in the Shortcut.

Don
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi,

To my knowledge, and based on the owner's guide, the car does not have RFT (run flat tires). Turns out, though, that the inflator pump has a tire sealant, as described/explained/excused in the following Acura video:

Good to know. Also, notice that the car doesn't come with an emergency warning triangle. Honestly, these things should have been pointed out when signing off at the dealership. No mentioning of any of this in the Car Manual.

How often does one gets a flat tire while driving? I thought it was extremely rare, until one day I took a bad right-turn with my Corolla and the back wheel grazed the sewage opening along the sidewalk. It was a stupid mistake on my part; the tire deflated immediately and I don't think a sealant would have worked there.

The dealership is not a Research Triangle, which I believe is in Carolina; I live in northern California, sorry for not being clear. I prefer not to go into more details about the dealership, I'll take my complaints up with them.

I do get a sense that TLs have a high residual value, possibly more than Acura expected back in 2012. When I signed my 3 years leased for the TL back in 2012, my residual value was 45%; 2 weeks ago I could have purchased the car at $19K and sell it in the private market for a possible of 3K profit. I decided to avoid the hassle and potential problems. The 2015 lease is different, with a residual value of 37%, which suggests to me that Honda Finances either think the car is currently under-priced, or that their cars will have a higher resell value in 3 years.

In any case, I hope my sharing and experience has had some future buyers look for potential issues, or perhaps reconsider and determine the right reasons for upgrading from TL to TLX. Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 AM
Suzuka Master

So, you are hoping to perhaps get people to reconsider buying a TLX all because you didn't do your homework to begin with?

I have never owned a car that came with a warning triangle, even the GS350 I had didn't come with one.

No offense intended, I am just interpreting your last post.
jim256 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:26 AM
9th Gear

[QUOTE=Quandry;15321612]Ok you asked, why oh why, so I will propose an answer.

You completely misunderstood my question, Quandry: One cannot move between Accessory mode and Ignition without completely restarting the digital system, including the reconnecting the phone, re-turning on the seat heating, 30 second legal s**t that nobody cares about, having to re-apply your destination... That's issue goes back to the TL (though the TL finished this boot process in half the time, because its computer was not so slugish).

I'm a software engineer by profession, and I focus on user experience. I don't think Acura's primary business goal is developing user-facing software, and it shows...
Old 02-06-2015, 02:29 AM
9th Gear

Hey - how did you do that?! My TLX Tech doesn't save the seat heating position when I add/edit the climate control shortcuts...
Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 AM

Hey - how did you do that?! My TLX Tech doesn't save the seat heating position when I add/edit the climate control shortcuts...
Very sorry my good sir - I created a shortcut and "assumed" it would save the heated seat settings and posted here prior to fully testing. Upon further review it turns out the shortcut DOES NOT save the seat heat settings.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Is it bad to keep the seat setting on AUTO?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Instructor

I think Acura Customer Relations should be made aware of those new people.
In 2002, when I moved over from BMWs to Acura, I bought a 2002 Type S TL and had to have it serviced at an out of town Acura dealer (IOW, not the dealer where I bought it). I received such shoddy service that I had to take the car back several times for proper servicing, on top of which the service people were rather unfriendly. Angered by the experience, which included complaints at the dealership all the way to the Gen Mgr, I did call Acura Customer Relations. While they offered plenty of empathy and support for my complaint, they basically told me there was nothing they could do since all dealers are independent (which, of course, I knew) and Acura USA could really do nothing to "correct" any bad experiences I may have had. The only thing they told me was they would "keep a record" of my complaint and suggested I avoid that particular dealership in the future.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is it bad to keep the seat setting on AUTO?
I believe that only the Elite/Advance have the Auto feature.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

You completely misunderstood my question, Quandry: One cannot move between Accessory mode and Ignition without completely restarting the digital system, including the reconnecting the phone, re-turning on the seat heating, 30 second legal s**t that nobody cares about, having to re-apply your destination... That's issue goes back to the TL (though the TL finished this boot process in half the time, because its computer was not so slugish).
Yes, I missed that point, but I suspect that this is a common problem with vehicles that have a Start/Stop push button. With a single control I suppose it would be possible to turn it off if the break pedal was not pressed, or to start the engine if the break was pressed and not restart the navi system.

It would be interesting to hear how this works in other brands that have a Start/Stop button.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
I believe that only the Elite/Advance have the Auto feature.
Oh, I see. I did not know that... hmm, wonder why that is? If the car has heated/cooled seats.. auto should be standard.. at least IMO
Old 02-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Only the Elite/Advance have cooled seats.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Which explains why there would be an AUTO function.. gotcha.

Quick Reply: New TLX makes me wish I had my old TL back