My observations from today's TLX V6 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by cpr2
I service my TSX mostly at Pines because they're so close but purchases are done at Rick Case because of goodwill developed over the years including their Honda dealership. They gave me the advantage certificate without even asking once I preordered.
when I was shopping around I emailed the rick case sales rep I bought my TSX from saying I was interested in the TLX and the reserve/pre order incentive program and he replied saying he would call me when they get some TLXs lol oh well I was planning on buying at pines anyway. Just find it strange that they still don't have any considering they are supposed to be the largest dealer in south Florida.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ I'm not busting on you. I just wish they offered the thing with a 6MT. Thanks a for a very informative review.

This "hesitation" thing is disappointing and curious. Is it the DBW, a fuel economy measure, the VCM getting flummoxed? Hope they get it resolved if indeed it's widespread.

I agree with you - when you buy a V6 you want it to go when you want it to go. One of the things I love about my TL is the responsiveness of the motor.
It's the only thing I can complain about with the car. I don't know why it does it. Some haven't noticed it. It may be dependent of what car you are currently driving and if it too has a slight hesitation. I think I'd get used to it but I'd rather it not be there. I'd like some more seat time in the car to really figure it out. A short test drive is not enough.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It's the only thing I can complain about with the car. I don't know why it does it. Some haven't noticed it. It may be dependent of what car you are currently driving and if it too has a slight hesitation. I think I'd get used to it but I'd rather it not be there. I'd like some more seat time in the car to really figure it out. A short test drive is not enough.
About that 1 sec. hesitation...

That has got me thinking. Hopefully a firmware update will fix that.

I am ready to go auto this time around and have not been too happy with our 5 AT Accord because sometimes it just wants to upshift even if I don't want it to and I'm not use to flooring the gas pedal.

I thought all that would have been taken care of with the DCT or the 9-speed AT but one second could actually mean life or death in some situations.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by internalaudit
About that 1 sec. hesitation...

That has got me thinking. Hopefully a firmware update will fix that.

I am ready to go auto this time around and have not been too happy with our 5 AT Accord because sometimes it just wants to upshift even if I don't want it to and I'm not use to flooring the gas pedal.

I thought all that would have been taken care of with the DCT or the 9-speed AT but one second could actually mean life or death in some situations.
It is these kinds of things I expected them to address during the delay. So if they didn't I assume it is not something they want to address or don't think is a problem.

At ~65 mph the tach was around 1,500 rpm, maybe a tad lower. Almost like the car was idling at 65 mph. I was in Normal mode. Maybe in Sport mode it would be different.
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Seems like a lot of the guys here are very impressed with themselves in that they can drive an MT even though maybe 0.5% of them have ever driven a 6MT in competition.

Get over it nothing really special about driving an MT on the street is a 4 door passenger car.

I don't drive to "impress" other people, it has to do with personal preference. Not really seeing your logic that driving a 6MT in competition is a pre-requisite for driving enjoyment on the street.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
All three dealerships you mentioned. I ordered from Rick Case because I have been doing business with them for a very long time. I lived close to the Pembroke Pines dealership and stopped by today. I spoke to Esserman's on Friday and they were expecting V6 already but none was delivered as yet.
Pembroke Pines told me they would have several in at the beginning of last week (and told me they would call me) but I see none in their inventory. I am also in communication with Rick Case and Miami Acura (my current dealer) on the same level and I got and see the same response - nothing. I'd like to know who you hear from in regards to availability first and who is willing to deal off MSRP.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
Pembroke Pines told me they would have several in at the beginning of last week (and told me they would call me) but I see none in their inventory. I am also in communication with Rick Case and Miami Acura (my current dealer) on the same level and I got and see the same response - nothing. I'd like to know who you hear from in regards to availability first and who is willing to deal off MSRP.
I know the feeling! One of the Acura dealers in the Houston area received 4 TLX's the other day, my delaer .. none! I was told the the one I go to is the higher volume dealer.. maybe not.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

I just checked Acura of Pembroke Pines Facebook page and TLX arrived! Sweet!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=828241777193614
The following 2 users liked this post by cpr2:
BookemDanole (08-11-2014), Oswald Vater (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Former Audio Mod

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove both the I4 Tech and V6 TLX Advance (no SH-AWD yet) today and enjoyed it quite a bit. I had the benefit from this thread to see I needed to try it in Sport or Sport+ to understand how the car was really intended to be driven. I read that the Normal mode is required to be sluggish in order to get highest MPG ratings possible. I'll be interested to see how the AWD version corners, but I really didn't feel a lot of grip. It may be because they put high MPG tires on there as others suggest. The car felt more like a TSX than a TL to me. Not a bad thing.

I did like the features in Advance, and I used the radar cruise control to stop me completely. It worked well, and I think the lane keeping assist works better at tracking the lanes than the '14 Audi S6 I drove with that feature. I wish Advance were available on the I4, but I can understand why they might keep it out. For me, I like to drive, but sometimes (like on stop and go freeway traffic) I'm not really driving, so I don't think these are necessarily old man/woman features. If the collision mitigation breaking works, it's easy to get behind that as well.

The V6 was definitely a quieter and lower-revving engine than the I4, which gives more perception that the I4 performs similarly to the V6. These cars are out now, and someone needs to get real 0-60 numbers.
The following 3 users liked this post by schalliol:
internalaudit (08-11-2014), Rocket_man (08-12-2014), Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Racer

yea I just happened to text my sales guy there this morning asking if they got them yet and he mentioned they just did. I'm going after work to take a look to see one in person while I wait for my pre order 4 cyl lol
Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Cool - Rick Case also has received 8 and has their inventory listed. I didn't see an inventory for Pembroke Pines or Miami Acura posted yet.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove an TLX V6 Advance on Saturday. I also brought a friend so I had the opportunity to experience the car as a passenger. I own a 2004 3G TL Aspec I bought new and my friend owns a 09 TSX, also purchased new. I also own a Lexus IS, and my buddy owns a Porsche Macan S. Here's our observations.

Exterior: The dealer had a grey v6 advance, grey interior, and a white v6 tech with brown interior parked out front. The car is similar in size and scale to the 3G TL. The car looks good from the rear and rear 3/4 side views, but we're still not crazy about the front. The grill and lower plastic trim by the fog lights look cheap. The materials look like they will not wear well and get pitted easily with rock chips. The salesperson, my buddy and I discussed painting the grill to match the wire frame grill on the TLX GT. We also discussed using a vinyl wrap to create the desired look on the grill. The standard V6 rims are OK, but not particularly eye catching. Overall the car looks plain and needs bigger rims. I had the same feeling with the 3G TL was introduced, which is why I opted for the Aspec package, which for me, dramatically improves the look of the car and its presence.

Interior: Inside the car has a nice fit and finish, and the materials and layout look better than in the photos. The weird armrests on the doors also look better in person. The speedo and tach have a 3-D motorcycle-esque appearance to them, albeit a bit plain. The driver and passenger seats are very comfortable, soft yet hugging. The headrests feel plush when you lean back against them. The leather felt on par with my Lexus. Not sure about the dual screens. The lower screen looked a bit cheap, created glare and showed finger prints. It did not look as elegant as a tablet. The center arm rest was well padded and the storage charging stations were well placed. Back seat legroom and comfort was comparable to my 3GTL. The grey interior looked very nice. The brown interior looked a bit off - sort of artificial compared to brown leather furniture or other premium vehicle brands. The trunk was a good size, but a bit smaller than my 3G TL. They also removed the spare tire, which is where some of the weight savings claim comes from.

On the Road: We started out in normal mode hitting some suburban side streets and then onto the highway. I was glad that I couldn't see the hood of the car - an important trait for most Hondas. The car was very smooth, quite and refined. The cockpit made the car feel smaller than it really is. The suspension was excellent and had a premium feel. Accelerating on to the highway, the engine sound was muted and the shifts were imperceptable. The car didn't feel particularly fast, but we hit 80 mph effortlessly. After a few miles we turned around and put it into sport then sport +. The car immediately came to life and held the revs much longer. The car felt more aggressive and fun to drive, although it wasn't faster than my 3GTL. The suspension did feel much more refined. We didn't notice any delays in acceleration or shifting. The car was an excellent highway cruiser.

Conclusion: In general we were impressed with how the car drove and the interior fit and finish. We both agreed this was an evolution of the TL, with a return to many of the positives of the 3G. Although we like how the car looks from the back, it is still a bit plain and definitely needs rims. For me its missing the got to have it factor. I'll need to drive the SH-AWD and see the car with the optional body kit and the 19" diamond cut rims - perhaps that will get me more excited. I would also modify the grill. Also not sure how I'd feel driving a loaded TL close to $50K with a bunch of $30K base cars on the streets. I'd still prefer two distinct models - a TL and a TSX.

Last edited by vai777; 08-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vai777:
internalaudit (08-11-2014), Rocket_man (08-12-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Former Audio Mod

BTW, I saw the two non grey spectrum colors in person on other Acuras in person and was not impressed. I complained to the salesperson and he agreed it was a mistake to put out a color to tease people that was one that they wouldn't sell. Come on, give the option to pay more for it if it costs more than they budget! He said when he worked at Saturn they showed a car off and didn't plan to sell that color, but Saturn responded when people said they wanted that color and made it available at launch. …maybe not kaizen enough for Honda.

Where's that red, Milano Red or Arctic Blue Pearl? What blah colors. That was part of the point with the X cars when the TSX came out and then the RSX: thee X was for a more sporty orientation. "It's that kind of thrill." Come on.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Former Audio Mod

I generally agree with your comments. I thought the fit was nice, and the materials seemed about right. Your thoughts stimulated some others from me:

• I thought the nav system was lame. It may be par for the course, but the nav is nothing better than my Odyssey Touring Elite's system (an Acura they didn't want to label as such). Honda put CarPlay in the entry level Honda Fit, and we're stuck with this. Ugh. This car should be advanced. CarPlay is much better than Siri Eyes Free because it allows you to use Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Gaze right on the Nav screen and intuitively access your other materials. I know I'll be accosted by Android users, but I can only imagine there's a way to do the same thing on Android. The nav is already out of date and they had so much potential with all that screen real estate!

Originally Posted by vai777
The trunk was a good size, but a bit smaller than my 3G TL. They also removed the spare tire, which is where some of the weight savings claim comes from.
I actually though the trunk looked tiny, and I thought it seemed smaller than my 04 TSX's. I'm spoiled by an A6 now and my perception could be off, but the wheel wells really cut into the trunk more than I expected.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Cool - Rick Case also has received 8 and has their inventory listed. I didn't see an inventory for Pembroke Pines or Miami Acura posted yet.

I went during my lunch time but only see one that was being delivered to a customer. The others were being cleaned up and fuel etc. I could only capture two photos because I didn’t want to take pictures of the customer and his family. They were all over the car and very excited. One you see it in person, who would not? The car is very beautiful and as almost everyone says, picture doesn’t convey the looks as in person. I will stop by later to test drive.

Oswald Vater (08-12-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
We don't have our cars yet, but I wanted to theorize. What if the reason some feel it and some don't is dependent on throttle application. I've been thinking that maybe this car starts in 2nd to save fuel. An aggressive throttle push forces a downshift to 1st causing a slight delay, whereas something below the shift threshold, starts immediately? Changing the IDS setting changes this threshold and in Sport and Sport+ forces a 1st gear start?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Racer

I asked Pines (on FB) when the 4 cylinders are expected - they said the next 48 hours!!! I hope mine comes then, that would be awesome
Old 08-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I don't drive to "impress" other people, it has to do with personal preference. Not really seeing your logic that driving a 6MT in competition is a pre-requisite for driving enjoyment on the street.
Its not a pre-requisite at all, that's the point. Thing is in real competition no one drives stick anymore except for NASCAR which only discovered Fuel Injection this year.

Driving stick can be a fun thing to do for some people, I enjoy my 135is & the Cobra I am building has a TKO-600 manual.

That said guys who post things like AT drivers are lazy & suggest only they are "real drivers" because they drive a stick is what the post is about. If you can't find those style posts in any thread about MT's let me know.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Former Audio Mod

Modern ATs can shift faster than MTs, and with good programming, they can quickly pick the right gear. Those old sticks are slower, even a professional race car driver can't shift as fast as the new ones. Paddles offer gear control, which gets you a good way there (but it doesn't allow for multi gear jumps all that quickly). With 9 speeds out, it seems pretty crazy to try to shift fully manuallywith a clutch etc.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
"Lazy" has come up which there is some actual truth to, however that doesn't apply to everyone one or every non manual case, so I don't fully agree with that assertion either but no mention or anything specific that would suggest "look at me I'm a real driver" vs someone who doesn't drive stick, don't see it. Not saying it doesn't happen, I'm sure it does and has a lot more in the past when a manual was also advantageous in other areas.

Today, not so much and so 9 out of 10 times, it is likely relegated to just a preference and a big one but nothing more. Not about being special or stroking ego, however one could also argue that for those who passed on a 6MT and went for an AT or DCT instead where both are available. Maybe they think it is special or that in a few cases where you gain a few tenths it actually serves them or has any "real" benefit outside of fuel economy. Same goes for the old and dead thing, not quite, at least not for the reasons most think. A lot of this is exaggerated. When you actually look at it, there are cases where the manual is still the mpg and performance alternative, there are cases where there are marginal differences at best between models and we see one sided in favor of AT's as well. In large still a viable option if people still wanted to drive them and learn how.

Every manual driver here and those who want a TLX 6MT will tell you this. That is an absurd suggestion for this thread IMO and I don't see it "here". Maybe in other sites and in racing and competition or other areas on Acurazine but it also could just be a straw man argument or insecurity or over defensiveness about something personal and what not. Personally, I don't really know, but I'm open to conversation.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-11-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Former Audio Mod

A broader discussion for all the safety/convenience features on Advance: My attitude is they allow you to exist safety in the car but also allows you to have a more pleasurable experience in the car when you aren't driving enthusiastically. Of course, no one is being a driving enthusiast in stop and go heavy traffic unless they're being dangerous and darting out/in, so what's the harm at that time to have some things done automatically?

Are we lazy that we don't want to roll down the windows by cranking them down? What about power steering at all? Selectable traction and stability control that when you aren't racing can save you from disaster?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I feel the need...

Its not a pre-requisite at all, that's the point. Thing is in real competition no one drives stick anymore except for NASCAR which only discovered Fuel Injection this year.
You won't find an argument from me that manuals are faster on the track. Where did you find me or anyone else in this thread make that claim? In my limited track experience with an R8, Scuderia, Superleggera and various Porsches, I much prefer and appreciate the difference that an auto shifting manual transmission offers.

That said guys who post things like AT drivers are lazy & suggest only they are "real drivers" because they drive a stick is what the post is about. If you can't find those style posts in any thread about MT's let me know.
I think you are making a straw man argument. There are no "guys" in this thread saying that AT drivers are lazy or that MT drivers are "real". Its a matter of personal preference and an opinion (mine) that Acura made a special car in the 4G 6MT and simply am disappointed that they didn't choose to offer a sportier transmission option for the V6. By most if not all reviews, the ZF is inferior to the 8DCT.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Former Audio Mod

No one here said it was inferior, but many do think that's the case.

Great points. I liked the dct.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Racer

I stopped by Pines after work and checked out what they had (all V6s).
First was a base model (non tech) - I fell in love with the car right away! Car felt spacious inside, especially in the front. Extremely comfortable. I must say I was very impressed by the leatherette material - looks and feels just like the real thing.
I also got a quick test drive on a V6 tech. Nice ride, very smooth. Electronic shifter was very cool.

After seeing them in person, I'm REALLY anxious to get mine...4 cylinders are supposed to arrive in the next couple days they said (hope my base silver is included in that). Can't wait!!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
. I think you are making a straw man argument. There are no "guys" in this thread saying that AT drivers are lazy or that MT drivers are "real".
I know its a big thread but you only had to go back to the previous page.

C'mon, give them a break. These are the same guys who are too lazy to drive a stick.
Amen, brother. Tell it!

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
At least you didn't call him lazy for not going back to look....
BEAR-AvHistory (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by schalliol
Modern ATs can shift faster than MTs, and with good programming, they can quickly pick the right gear. Those old sticks are slower, even a professional race car driver can't shift as fast as the new ones. Paddles offer gear control, which gets you a good way there (but it doesn't allow for multi gear jumps all that quickly). With 9 speeds out, it seems pretty crazy to try to shift fully manuallywith a clutch etc.
If stick shifts were about logic, nobody would fish and hunt. They would just go to the meat market. I love shifting gears, but not in my daily commute.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
mr2core (08-11-2014), Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I loved shifting gears as well, but I couldn't imagine having to push a clutch in after leg day at the gym on my way home, yikes. haha
FoxTL (08-12-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Just checked out the TLX in person, and the forum members were right. I saw the Black Copper/Parchment tech V6 and it looked great. Definitely way better in person than in photos. I didn't get a chance to drive it since the dealer got 2 with 1 already pre sold. The black one was sold just 30 minutes before I got there. Apparently initial sales seem strong.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by schalliol
A broader discussion for all the safety/convenience features on Advance: My attitude is they allow you to exist safety in the car but also allows you to have a more pleasurable experience in the car when you aren't driving enthusiastically. Of course, no one is being a driving enthusiast in stop and go heavy traffic unless they're being dangerous and darting out/in, so what's the harm at that time to have some things done automatically?

Are we lazy that we don't want to roll down the windows by cranking them down? What about power steering at all? Selectable traction and stability control that when you aren't racing can save you from disaster?
Don't even think it has anything to do with enthusiastic driving. Just a preference in driving. There are many cases where the AT (or DCT) alternative is faster in some instances, if not most or all, depends on the vehicle and it's models but for the most part, you can argue enthusiastic driving is also a characteristic and benefit to modern AT's and DCT's as much as a manual, if not more.

There is no harm in having anything done automatically. I'm not trying to take away choice or preference, or advancement, nor is anybody else, the idea is to strive for more options and choices, not less.

As far as the term lazy and how it applies, it would depend, especially on the context. I don't think the majority of people who opt for AT are lazy, although I'm sure anyone can come up with a scenario where the shoe fits. That certainly doesn't mean that the person is a lazy person in general or in other facets of their life, work, etc. Just the strict context where it would apply and so it bares some truth.

It may just mean that they are lazy when it comes to driving a manual in traffic for example and they deal that a lot or someone not having the will to learn even been given plenty of opportunities and suggesting that it's something they would eventually like to learn still. That was probably more to the point and the extent of it and I'm talking within strict definitions of the word, not what anyone could infer or extrapolate that out to mean or be interpreted as. Ironically, see a similar word or a synonym and it is an actual word denoting a similar kind of meaning, the word is "shiftless". Seriously, look it up.

It's not meant to be offense as it is to just being honest. There was so many things I could have done today instead of wasting whatever time it took to post here but I put it off because I was being a bit lazy with regards to those things and I'm not afraid to admit that but I also preferred to be doing this instead so it is also primarily a preference as I have suggested countless times now but lazy could also apply and it shouldn't be such a big deal. At the end of the day, we can throw a lot of other terms and factors around that may relate depending on the particular circumstances but the auto vs manual thing is primarily a preference based debate IMO, not much more.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-11-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jayb082
I stopped by Pines after work and checked out what they had (all V6s).
First was a base model (non tech) - I fell in love with the car right away! Car felt spacious inside, especially in the front. Extremely comfortable. I must say I was very impressed by the leatherette material - looks and feels just like the real thing.
I also got a quick test drive on a V6 tech. Nice ride, very smooth. Electronic shifter was very cool.

After seeing them in person, I'm REALLY anxious to get mine...4 cylinders are supposed to arrive in the next couple days they said (hope my base silver is included in that). Can't wait!!

Me too! Hopefully I4's will start to show up sooner rather than later. I'm really impressed with the overall package of the v6 and wish I could get those rims on the I4. I don't like the 18 in accessories rims that's being offered for sale.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I know the feeling! One of the Acura dealers in the Houston area received 4 TLX's the other day, my delaer .. none! I was told the the one I go to is the higher volume dealer.. maybe not.
John Eagle Acura claims to be the #1 Acura dealer in Texas. So that may be why they got first dibs on TLX's in Houston. Personally I liked the dealership, wish it were my local dealer.

Originally Posted by Colin
We don't have our cars yet, but I wanted to theorize. What if the reason some feel it and some don't is dependent on throttle application. I've been thinking that maybe this car starts in 2nd to save fuel. An aggressive throttle push forces a downshift to 1st causing a slight delay, whereas something below the shift threshold, starts immediately? Changing the IDS setting changes this threshold and in Sport and Sport+ forces a 1st gear start?
This could be the case. In Normal mode this car seems to want to be pretty low in the RPM band. The dealership is right along the highway. If you've ever been to TX you know that there are feeder roads that move traffic on and off the main highway, but most traffic on the feeders are not much slower than the highway. So when you turn onto the feeder you tend to accelerate with a purpose or you may find a car up your tail pipe. So I was already rolling a few MPH when I turned on the feeder and hit the gas and first felt that little hesitation. The 9AT is so quiet and smooth that you can't tell it is shifting. And in Normal mode the display does not show you what gear you are in. Taking the same route in Normal, Sport, Sport + I could figure this out. Maybe something you can experiment with when you get your cars in. But in Sport + from a standing start the V6 really gets up and goes. And it does so in a pretty refined way. You can hear the engine and feel the shifts (about the only time you can) and you know the car is working hard, but it is very composed at the same time. I need some more seat time in the car.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
For AT's, is paddle shifting really the best way to go? Having both hands on the wheel when paddling is a good safety measure for sure.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Me too! Hopefully I4's will start to show up sooner rather than later. I'm really impressed with the overall package of the v6 and wish I could get those rims on the I4. I don't like the 18 in accessories rims that's being offered for sale.
Wonder if a dealer would do a swap for you?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

I went during my lunch time but only see one that was being delivered to a customer. The others were being cleaned up and fuel etc. I could only capture two photos because I didn’t want to take pictures of the customer and his family. They were all over the car and very excited. One you see it in person, who would not? The car is very beautiful and as almost everyone says, picture doesn’t convey the looks as in person. I will stop by later to test drive.

Miami Acura now has their TLX inventory listed. Looks like they have four to sell. Still looking for Pembroke Pines inventory listing.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Wonder if a dealer would do a swap for you?
I was curious about this myself. But even if the 18's are available as parts, even at wholesale they will be expensive. Unless the dealer would be willing to give some credit for the 17's and tires. Lots of if's. When I bought my RSX-S, the dealer gave me $200 for the below average OEM tires that I had them swap out before delivery.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I feel the need...

I see what your complaint is now, its a vast right-hand conspiracy!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

For AT's, is paddle shifting really the best way to go? Having both hands on the wheel when paddling is a good safety measure for sure.
Transmission shift speed is no different. The speed that it gets the signal once you decide to shift is faster with the paddles because you have less physical movement to make the shift than moving the stick back or up.

This time spread speeds up the more gears you are skipping going down.

Is the functional difference more than an academic exercise, IMHO nope.

Main thing is you keep your hand both on the wheel.
internalaudit (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
With the V6/9AT, it's the only way. There is no "column shifter" or "console shifter" with that setup.
internalaudit (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
As a manual user since the 80's, I myself find trying to shift with the stick harder than paddles, something about wanting to make full hand motions sync'ed with the feet. Paddles feel more game like (though not a gamer).

Though I would really prefer them to be column mounted as in Ferrari, Aston Martin, even Mitsubishi, etc. because to me it feels more intuitive to reach for something in a stationary position as opposed to having your hands cocked mid-turn and remembering which is left/right (try it crossed up).

One benefit of the Acura 9AT is that the cupholders are better accessible and reversible for RHD markets.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-13-2014)

Quick Reply: My observations from today's TLX V6 test drive