Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
My first 48 hours with the TLX

Things I learned in the first weekend.

I love this car.
I love the gadgets.
I can see myself having a learning curve switching between mine and my wife's car.

When I switched to contact lenses for the first time, I think I spent the first two weeks pushing my non-existant glasses back onto my nose. It was a reflex that took time to break. I still find myself reaching for the keys, and my hand coming away empty.

Here is my story of the first weekend.

Park, Reverse & Drive are easy gears to select.
Brake hold is cool.
The Parking Brake was obvious when I looked, but I did not realize that I needed to engage the Parking Brake AND the Parking Gear. Doh. I wish the Parking Brake lit up when it was enabled.

In order to use the Remote Start, you must first press the LOCK button, and then press and hold the START button. This only works if the car is locked, so just press the LOCK button twice to begin with.

When setting up the car, put the 2nd keyfob in the house, away from the car. This is really difficult to do at the dealership, so wait until you get home.

The Auto setting for climate control will also control the seat temperature. Nice.

In reading the manual.
For SNOW/ICE starts. Pull the RIGHT (+) paddle shifter while stopped to start in 2nd gear.

Auto Idle Stop is annoying at first, but you quickly get used to it. Especially with Brake Hold.
Made me think it was not working when the car was cold, but had to remember that it only works once the car is warm.

Adaptive Cruise Control is very cool. The system applied the brakes at speed when one of those heavy/wide/low semi trucks (that haul tractors and such) veered over my lane markings. I had to think quickly and press the gas to power past it. This is a good feature, but you have to remember that YOU are in control of the car (and responsible for it.)

The phone tray is useful. Love that I can hide the charger under the tray.
Sucks that ALL modern phones are huge, and there is no room for the plug.
Had to order some right hand adapters so that the plug would fit.
(I don't have one of the HUGE phones either, just a Samsung S5. Still doesn't fit with a charging plug coming out of the bottom.)

Pandora is cool too. Hadn't used it before.
Cant see using XM Radio when I have Pandora.
Not sure about Aha yet, I will have to see.

Oh, my biggest gripe so far.
When you're on the phone, the bottom screen has the phone controls on it, and won't get away.
So, you cannot access shortcuts, or things like that.
I appreciate that you don't need access the audio when on the phone, but the mid screen is used for other stuff too.
I didn't try it yet, but wonder if you can enter an address into the navi while on the phone...
The following 3 users liked this post by nickpoore:
benjaminh (03-02-2015), crownr0yal (03-03-2015), Stew4HD (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Thank you for the feedback! IK am glad you are lovin' it!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by nickpoore
Things I learned in the first weekend.

I love this car.
I love the gadgets.
I can see myself having a learning curve switching between mine and my wife's car.

When I switched to contact lenses for the first time, I think I spent the first two weeks pushing my non-existant glasses back onto my nose. It was a reflex that took time to break. I still find myself reaching for the keys, and my hand coming away empty.

Here is my story of the first weekend.

Park, Reverse & Drive are easy gears to select.
Brake hold is cool.
The Parking Brake was obvious when I looked, but I did not realize that I needed to engage the Parking Brake AND the Parking Gear. Doh. I wish the Parking Brake lit up when it was enabled.

In order to use the Remote Start, you must first press the LOCK button, and then press and hold the START button. This only works if the car is locked, so just press the LOCK button twice to begin with.

When setting up the car, put the 2nd keyfob in the house, away from the car. This is really difficult to do at the dealership, so wait until you get home.

The Auto setting for climate control will also control the seat temperature. Nice.

In reading the manual.
For SNOW/ICE starts. Pull the RIGHT (+) paddle shifter while stopped to start in 2nd gear.

Auto Idle Stop is annoying at first, but you quickly get used to it. Especially with Brake Hold.
Made me think it was not working when the car was cold, but had to remember that it only works once the car is warm.

Adaptive Cruise Control is very cool. The system applied the brakes at speed when one of those heavy/wide/low semi trucks (that haul tractors and such) veered over my lane markings. I had to think quickly and press the gas to power past it. This is a good feature, but you have to remember that YOU are in control of the car (and responsible for it.)

The phone tray is useful. Love that I can hide the charger under the tray.
Sucks that ALL modern phones are huge, and there is no room for the plug.
Had to order some right hand adapters so that the plug would fit.
(I don't have one of the HUGE phones either, just a Samsung S5. Still doesn't fit with a charging plug coming out of the bottom.)

Pandora is cool too. Hadn't used it before.
Cant see using XM Radio when I have Pandora.
Not sure about Aha yet, I will have to see.

When you're on the phone, the bottom screen has the phone controls on it, and won't get away.
I appreciate that you don't need access the audio when on the phone, but the mid screen is used for other stuff too.
I didn't try it yet, but wonder if you can enter an address into the navi while on the phone...
LKAS is a very nice highway driving aid - primarily, and I have never seen this mentioned, as it counteracts road camber so you are not constantly correcting (and consistent cross winds for that matter.) It really does make highway driving less work (as if it was hard but anyways). More useful than cruise control I would say. active or not.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I believe you can access the controls while on the phone - try to hit one of the buttons (Nav/Info/Audio) and you should be presented with the normal options.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I wish the Parking Brake lit up when it was enabled.

In reading the manual.
I agree there should be a LED on/near the button. There is an indicator in the IP, but most seem not to see it.

An alternative would be to use the unlock button on the remote that you wish to program to (vs. the proximity feature). This "tells" the car which driver setting to customize.

Y..you read the manual?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Y..you read the manual?
That is a must, otherwise it could be months before all the features are discovered by trial and error, or not at all.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Y..you read the manual?
Gotta RTFM...

Don't worry. My wife tells me that my man-card is safe (inside her purse.)