my 2015 SHAWD vs 2018 SHAWD: Had a chance to drive one today, things I noticed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
my 2015 SHAWD vs 2018 SHAWD: Had a chance to drive one today, things I noticed

I've only owned my 2015 TLX SHAWD for about less than a month now. I took it to the dealer for some servicing (and installing fogs!) today and they gave me a 2018 SHAWD. I was so eager to hit the road with this car to feel if there was a difference. Here's somethings I wanted to mention. And my apologies if any of these are common knowledge already.

- the 1-2 and 2-3 shifting problem. I've read about this issue and I definitely notice the issue on my own TLX (having the dealer check it out as we speak). I did not notice this at all on the 2018. I finally get to drive what I believe my car is supposed to feel like in terms of shifting. The shifts are timed much better and it doesn't feel like it's holding a gear too long. I switch to paddle shifting a lot and the time it takes to shift from 2nd to 3rd after I hit the paddle is embarrassing. Glad to see it's not there, at least on this car.

- the vibration at higher speeds (highway speeds ish). On my 2015, I definitely have that problem (also getting this looked at) and it happens on the highway generally between 110-130 km/h. I actually still kind of feel it in this car sometimes, not nearly as bad but it's there. Anyone else with a 2018 notice this?

- paddle downshifting responsiveness. On my 2015, when I'm on the highway and let's say I want to downshift with the paddles and get to a relatively good spot in the power band, I'm usually trying to shift about 4 times to get to 5th to pass someone. When I hit the left paddle 4 times consecutively at a decent speed, I notice that will sometimes not register all the pulls and instead of hitting it 4 times and landing on 5th gear like it should, it might end up in 6th or 7th. This was a bit annoying as I felt I had to pace my pulls on the paddle to make sure it's registering. In the 2018, man.. what a difference. It actually is exactly the way I thought it should be. I hit the paddle 4 times, it goes down 4 times. Never missed any pulls and always in the gear I want it to be. This alone makes my driving experience MUCH more enjoyable.

- downshifting from 9th gear. As I mentioned above, in my 2015 on the highway cruising in 9th (in all modes EXCEPT sport +), I pull the downshift paddle 4 times to get to 5th gear. As soon as I drove the 2018, I did that and noticed I got to 4th gear. Went and tried it again.. same thing. Did it slower and finally I noticed that in the 2018, when you downshift from 9th gear using the paddle (except sport +), it automatically skips 8th gear and puts you into 7th. This means that I only have to pull the paddle 3 times to get to 5th gear. This is actually SO smart of them and I applaud them for making this change. 9 gears is way too much, I get it's there to save fuel but in terms of functionality it's a pain to go through so many gears. And going from 9th to 8th on the highway makes such a negligible difference that it makes sooo much sense to just skip that gear so you can get to your power band faster and easier. This is one of my fav changes. Did anyone else notice this?

- background colour on the MID. It's blue on the 2018, I could not for the life of me find how to change the background colour. Did they really take that option away? Or did I not look hard enough?

- responsiveness of the MID. In my 2015, when I'm listening to music from my USB for example and I'm trying to switch folders by hitting forward, there's a noticeable lag. In the 2018, I'd have to say is much improved. I noticed it right away. Changing songs, changing folders, changing stations were much more prompt and more responsive. Anyone notice this? or is it just me?

- lane keep assist. In my 2015, when I near the lane of the shoulder on the highway, I get the beep and notification on my instrument cluster but I've never felt any type of feedback from the steering trying to make a correction in path. In the 2018 I notice this. Is my 2015 supposed to have the correction as well?

There's obviously many more differences that are easily noticeable but that's all I wanted to mention for now. The shifting responsiveness of the paddles and the skipping 8th gear downshifting differences easily make the 2018 a much more enjoyable car to drive for me. Since everything is electronic, I wonder how hard it would actually be or if it's even possible to make these changes to my 2015.
What are other differences between the years did you guys notice that you liked or disliked?
The following 6 users liked this post by NightShark:
a35tl (09-19-2017), cyberizer (10-22-2017), FLYGUY31 (09-19-2017), ogiewon (09-20-2017), ostrich (09-19-2017), slimm1469 (09-19-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
I also had the chance to drive a 2018 and here’s my reviews. The throttle response is the same as my 2015 with my sprint booster off, and I have a new tranny so those hard shift were completely gone. The vibration is still there around 65-70, I guess Acura will never get this down packed, it would affect me on my car but I installed the vcmuzzler with new tires and my car is very smooth now. As for the aspec, it’s just bigger wheels and different suspension with power steering tweaks, it’s still the same tranny and engine so I guess I will wait until my lease is up in March to jump into one. My 2015 with a light weight crank pulley, cold air intake, sprint booster and vcm disable runs better than the 2018’s. the sales person himself attested to this when I let him drive it, he said why the hell does my TLX drive like a dream, that made me decide to not get out of me lease early this weekend and keep my car, It really does drive well.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
My 2015 with a light weight crank pulley, cold air intake, sprint booster and vcm disable runs better than the 2018’s. the sales person himself attested to this when I let him drive it, he said why the hell does my TLX drive like a dream, that made me decide to not get out of me lease early this weekend and keep my car, It really does drive well.
Wow, surprised he was that direct! Should have said 'nice changes' to avoid bashing his own product lol
Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Excellent review, NightShark. Are yours and the loaner 4s or V6s?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
Only the V6's come with the 9 speed transmission and SH-AWD so his, and the loaner are definitely V6's.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

I also had the chance to drive a 2018 and here’s my reviews. The throttle response is the same as my 2015 with my sprint booster off, and I have a new tranny so those hard shift were completely gone. The vibration is still there around 65-70, I guess Acura will never get this down packed, it would affect me on my car but I installed the vcmuzzler with new tires and my car is very smooth now. As for the aspec, it’s just bigger wheels and different suspension with power steering tweaks, it’s still the same tranny and engine so I guess I will wait until my lease is up in March to jump into one. My 2015 with a light weight crank pulley, cold air intake, sprint booster and vcm disable runs better than the 2018’s. the sales person himself attested to this when I let him drive it, he said why the hell does my TLX drive like a dream, that made me decide to not get out of me lease early this weekend and keep my car, It really does drive well.
sprint booster and vcmuzzler aren't the same thing? What does the sprint booster do?
I would like to keep my car as stock as possible but if they really can't fix the vibration issue, I think I'll have to at least try to the muzzler. Do you notice a huge difference with the muzzler?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slimm1469
Thanks!
As RDX10 has already mentioned, they're both V6's.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my 2015 goes in for an oil change Thursday afternoon. I’ll see if I can drive an aspec while I wait. They have a few.
I saw a few on the lot the other day, and personally I’m not really sold on the new looks, mostly the front and even the back. For me the most attractive part of the aspec is the wider stance with the new tires and wheels.
I look forward to driving it. They have a grey with red interior on the lot.