AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   Jalopnik Rips Acura VTEC Commercial (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/jalopnik-rips-acura-vtec-commercial-935731/)

LAMike240 09-02-2015 09:51 AM

Jalopnik Rips Acura VTEC Commercial

So Jalopnik looked at the latest Acura commercial with the white TLX carving a canyon road while the salesman tells the guy he can feel the VTEC kick in. Now while I agree that this is horse crap, I disagree with the author when he says taking a test drive on canyon roads is bull. Living in So Cal, the 2 Acura dealers near me are with 5 minutes of Malibu Canyon and Muhlholland Drive. I've taken numerous test drives through there.

This Acura Ad Is So Crammed Full Of Horseshit I Can't Even

datadr 09-02-2015 10:51 AM

Wow... I just read through his rant, and I think he has too much time on his hands. How do you, in a visual commercial, indicate how the drive feels? They need to do something to explain what's happening. The alternative would be "feel how fast it is"? I mean come on... it's a commercial.

And... I think he's overthinking what they are saying. You can definitely feel the VTEC kick in at 4500 RPM. I think that's what they are trying to convey... not that you can detect a minute change in valve timing.

thoiboi 09-02-2015 10:58 AM

Okay.. C'mon guys.. Please tell me you don't see something wrong here:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7beab7e9ce.gif

Can people can have differing opinions about the car you bought?

Also i think the commercial was tongue in cheek regarding the long-standing 'v-tec just kicked in yo' meme..

cu2wagon 09-02-2015 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15542030)
Okay.. C'mon guys.. Please tell me you don't see something wrong here:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7beab7e9ce.gif

Can people can have differing opinions about the car you bought?

Also i think the commercial was tongue in cheek regarding the long-standing 'v-tec just kicked in yo' meme..

Admittedly I hadn't been keeping up with the TLX, but didn't they have a bunch of transmission problems?

I think the upshift surge might just be one of those faulty units?

VTech, yo!

advan031 09-02-2015 11:13 AM

Lol...I blame the marketing department.

chris03tl 09-02-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by cu2wagon (Post 15542039)
Admittedly I hadn't been keeping up with the TLX, but didn't they have a bunch of transmission problems?

I think the upshift surge might just be one of those faulty units?

VTech, yo!

Exactly what one of the comments on the Jalop article was....slipping transmission

"Its that kind of 'oh crap I need a new transmission' thrill"

RCJD 09-02-2015 12:06 PM

That is a funny rant, but he is correct about the paddle shifter.

Kense 09-02-2015 02:33 PM

Funny rant but Jalopnik is a German fanboy hangout. They basically trash any car that's not BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

Timmy18 09-02-2015 02:46 PM

Should have shown the up shift closer to the redline. That's more of a thrill.

csmeance 09-02-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kense (Post 15542304)
Funny rant but Jalopnik is a German fanboy hangout. They basically trash any car that's not BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

^agree, they have some bs and good stuff. Acura commericals are way better than they used to be.

W.B.MASON 09-02-2015 03:01 PM

Yahoo Front Page!

TacoBello 09-02-2015 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kense (Post 15542304)

Or is it because BMW, Audi and Mercedes make ultra fun, hoonable cars that companies like Acura could never dream of. It's a website for car guys who like to drive- are you expecting a stellar review on the TLX? You can barely even find that here on AZ :tomato:

Mr Hyde 09-02-2015 06:13 PM

I shook my head the first time I see that ad with the "feel that vtec yo" comment. It is complete crap, especially since every make out there uses the same tech.

Lol on the revs climbing on the upshift. Noticed the revs, but never noticed which paddle he hit.
Marketers 1 : engineers : 0.

Honestly though, it's all much ado about nothing. It's a commercial designed to sell a product. If they showed the typical salesman accompanied test drive regardless of the make, it would be a total snooze fest.

CheeseyPoofs McNut 09-02-2015 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde (Post 15542733)

Lol on the revs climbing on the upshift. Noticed the revs, but never noticed which paddle he hit.
Marketers 1 : engineers : 0.

Watch it again more closely - he's not hitting the upshift paddle - he's hitting the VTEC paddle.

mapleloaf 09-02-2015 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 15542355)
Or is it because BMW, Audi and Mercedes make ultra fun, hoonable cars that companies like Acura could never dream of. It's a website for car guys who like to drive- are you expecting a stellar review on the TLX? You can barely even find that here on AZ :tomato:

It's also a website for guys who think they are hip, performance drivers, and badge oriented, IMHO. I have driven all of these cars, and I'm sorry, there just isn't a big difference in fun. And hoonable is not a real #@$% word….but it is hip. My TLX 3.5 SH-AWD is fast, agile, and has the best AWD on the market for cars less than 100K. An Audi 4 equivalent is not more fun to drive, nor is a Mercedes 250-300 equivalent. A BMW 335 is faster (and considerably more expensive) and may be more fun to drive at the track….but guess what, 99.99 percent of us don't drive track or twisty canyon roads. They are all somewhat more likely to break down on the side of the road, a fact that I observe frequently in daily commutes.

All excellent cars, but let's not deify them and demonize the TLX, an excellent car in it's own right. BTW, the majority of negative comments are from folks like you who don't own the car.

chris03tl 09-03-2015 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf (Post 15542897)
It's also a website for guys who think they are hip, performance drivers, and badge oriented, IMHO. I have driven all of these cars, and I'm sorry, there just isn't a big difference in fun. And hoonable is not a real #@$% word….but it is hip. My TLX 3.5 SH-AWD is fast, agile, and has the best AWD on the market for cars less than 100K. An Audi 4 equivalent is not more fun to drive, nor is a Mercedes 250-300 equivalent. A BMW 335 is faster (and considerably more expensive) and may be more fun to drive at the track….but guess what, 99.99 percent of us don't drive track or twisty canyon roads. They are all somewhat more likely to break down on the side of the road, a fact that I observe frequently in daily commutes.

All excellent cars, but let's not deify them and demonize the TLX, an excellent car in it's own right. BTW, the majority of negative comments are from folks like you who don't own the car.

Acura's own TLX commercial says otherwise

:)

Stew4HD 09-03-2015 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf (Post 15542897)

You mean to say guys like us aren't trying to impress the Jones's with a higher number series (A5, 550, ES350) car than theirs? :thumbsup:

You are correct, most the "haters" of the TLX are non TLX owners.

foxriderar77 09-03-2015 07:20 AM

Jalopnik was way cooler when it wasn't popular. I used to be on it all the time in 09-10 after that it got bad. Most people on Jalopnik just go with the popular ideas and dont really understand cars

BC01191980 09-03-2015 08:54 AM

Why is there a bias toward German cars?

I find them to be unattractive and hear they are not reliable

Malilx 09-03-2015 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by BC01191980 (Post 15543064)
Why is there a bias toward German cars?

I find them to be unattractive and hear they are not reliable

Not only are they not as reliable, but if you do your own basic repairs like Brake jobs, O2 sensors, etc., parts are double what a Japanese car's parts cost.

advan031 09-03-2015 09:37 AM

No need to bash German cars just to defend Acura...lol

Germans do make great cars but yes they're "less" reliable and is more expensive to maintain.

If someone was going to give me a TLX or a 335i for free? I'd pick a 335i everytime.

ucf_bronco 09-03-2015 10:43 AM

Is it just me, or is pretty much every commercial out there like this? When was the last time you took your Nissan out to the middle of the desert and whipped the back end around? When was the last time you ordered a burger from McDonalds and had it look anything like the one on TV.

Bottom line, there's deception in advertising. Acura isn't the only one doing it. I could look at any commercial and point out similar issues.

W.B.MASON 09-03-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by advan031 (Post 15543108)
No need to bash German cars just to defend Acura...lol

Germans do make great cars but yes they're "less" reliable and is more expensive to maintain.

If someone was going to give me a TLX or a 335i for free? I'd pick a 335i everytime.

No fan boi of either for various reasons. But the theoretical free question really would be a TLX with $25,000 or a 335i.

Have to agree with the criticism, it could have easily been harsher.

Kense 09-03-2015 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBello (Post 15542355)

Not all of their cars are "Ultra fun" FYI I don't have a TLX I have a TL but I test drove a TLX before I decided to get a Q50. If you've been on there they will take an equally equip German car and trash a car with the same performance because it doesn't have A BMW etc badge.

advan031 09-03-2015 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by W.B.MASON (Post 15543317)
No fan boi of either for various reasons. But the theoretical free question really would be a TLX with $25,000 or a 335i.

I'd take the TLX and buy an S2000:thumbsup:

CheeseyPoofs McNut 09-03-2015 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco (Post 15543205)
Is it just me, or is pretty much every commercial out there like this? When was the last time you took your Nissan out to the middle of the desert and whipped the back end around? When was the last time you ordered a burger from McDonalds and had it look anything like the one on TV.

Bottom line, there's deception in advertising. Acura isn't the only one doing it. I could look at any commercial and point out similar issues.

Haha!

Have a look at this commercial for the Dodge Friggin Dart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gogQLQNrDds

"Take it to the track" "Never too much power" "a ground breaking car" etc etc.

Stew4HD 09-03-2015 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut (Post 15543355)
Haha!

Have a look at this commercial for the Dodge Friggin Dart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gogQLQNrDds

"Take it to the track" "Never too much power" "a ground breaking car" etc etc.

My question is this: Why does "truth in advertising" really matter so much more for the TLX that any other product or car? Is there some kind of magical standard that Acura is held to versus any other product? *shrug*

WheelMcCoy 09-03-2015 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 15542030)

Agreed. I also think it plays on "inside" knowledge. One generation of TLs had vtec only on intakes (to the disappointment of fans), and another generation had it on both intakes and exhaust (to the delight of fans). I just don't remember what generations had what.

Anyway, the ad mentioned that vtec on the TLX is on both input and output regulating performance across a broad rpm range. For people who know, this is good news. For those who don't, you get the (over) reaction from the writer at Jalopnik.

BEAR-AvHistory 09-03-2015 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by W.B.MASON (Post 15543317)

Yeah, some wag might have said a TLX or an Accord Touring & $10,000.

Agreed. I also think it plays on "inside" knowledge.
Expect it was an inside joke line. Nothing unique in the technology anymore just like "Its a Hemi". Things that just about all cars have now.

W.B.MASON 09-03-2015 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory (Post 15543551)
Yeah, some wag might have said a TLX or an Accord Touring & $10,000.

Good point: Accord and TLX or 335i or $35,000 and Accord.

oonowindoo 09-03-2015 04:16 PM

Or take a bus and save $50,000.

Flipster23 09-03-2015 04:20 PM

<p>

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15543913)
Or take a bus and save $50,000.

</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Ride a bicycle even better....</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

oonowindoo 09-03-2015 04:26 PM

Walking is better. You have to buy the bicycle.

advan031 09-03-2015 04:32 PM

You can just stay home and don't do anything and hide the money behind the fridge.

Flipster23 09-03-2015 04:35 PM

<p>

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 15543935)
Walking is better. You have to buy the bicycle.

Originally Posted by advan031 (Post 15543944)
You can just stay home and don't do anything and hide the money behind the fridge.

</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>True (2 chainz voice)</p>