Idlestopper - The end of Auto Idle Stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Idlestopper - The end of Auto Idle Stop

As the original owner of a 2015 TLX Advanced 3.5L purchased new, my biggest downside of the car was the Auto Idle Stop. I detested my car shutting off and then automatically turning back on. I found this slight delay almost dangerous in many situations, not to mention I believe that turning my hot engine off and on many times will actually short-live the starter, battery and entire engine. Yes, I can easily defeat the system by always remembering to push the Auto Idle Off button at the bottom of my shift console. Even though it has become an automatic reaction of mine: Start car and then push auto idle off button; occasionally I forget and it has always been a nuisance. I have always hoped that there would be a fix for this problem (as there are for other cars). Now there is.

Let me introduce you to the Idlestopper. A little black box with three wires coming out. It will take you about 30 minutes to install and afterward you will never need to worry about pressing the Idle Stop Off button again, unless you want Idle Stop On: which then you would need to press the button.

The Idlestopper comes complete with professional grade crimp connectors already attached to make the install that much easier. Tools required to install are: Some plastic pry tools to remove console trim pieces, a few standard screwdrivers and standard pliers. If you don’t already have, I suggest you purchase a four piece Nylon Pry Tool kit at Harbor Freight for $4.99 as you don’t want to mar or bend any of the interior trim pieces. I would highly recommend if you don’t already have these plastic tools, that you get them for the install.

Bottom line – I highly recommend this product. This is how the vehicle should have come from the factory. How many threads have we seen here and on various sites such as: “Stuck - Vehicle Won’t Auto Idle Restart”: and then that person relates how he got stuck in traffic or almost had an accident. Another note – If you don’t intend to ever use Auto Idle Start (like me), you really don’t need the more expensive AGM battery. Get yourself an Idlestopper and also a regular car battery saving money and making your car much more fun to drive.

If you have any questions before or during installation, feel free to post it here in this thread. Below are some photos I took during the install.

Crashmaster

This is my TLX and the test vehicle. Sorry about the messy garage.

This is the Idlestopper.

Make sure to purchase this $4.99 Harbor Freight Nylon Pry Bar Kit. Works great.

Here is one of the connections you need to make. Very easy with the easy crimp connectors.

Black box 'Zip Tied' under the console. You don't want any extra rattles in your car.

Lastly, everything put back together. The Idlestopper works great.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for doing such an extensive review. I am definitely ordering and can’t wait for the idle stop to be out of my life forever
Old 07-18-2020, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
After five years of:

Start car, push Auto Idle Stop Off

It's not easy to break this habit. I had to put a piece of painters tape across the Auto Idle Off button to remember NOT to push this button.
The following users liked this post:
Funz51 (01-18-2021)