I really want to like the TLX

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015 | 02:40 PM
AcurAdmirer

Are you guys serious, that not having exhaust pipes sticking out the back is a potential deal-breaker?

Look at it this way - hidden pipes makes for a cleaner, less-cluttered look. What's the big deal about having "shinny" (by the way, it's spelled "shiney") pipes showing, anyway? You can't see them when you're driving, and exposed pipes don't do a thing for engine performance, or how well your stereo sounds, or how well the car handles fast sweepers.

For goodness sakes, go to a muffler shop and get some pipes fabbed up to hang down below the bumper if that makes you happier. It will look ghetto, but hey, you'll have shinny pipes.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mike_TX:
benjaminh (01-30-2015), jjsC5 (02-03-2015), Quandry (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015 | 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Deal breaker, not really for most people. At the TLX level they are simply a styling cue that says performance oriented. The styling cue is trickle down from actual performance cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, StingRay the German Troika etc.

The lack of exhaust finishers might simply signify a shift from the pervious 4 generations of juvenile looking TL's to a more staid grown up Avalon type look. I expect the demographic targets have shifted somewhat from the past.
Old 01-30-2015 | 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

There is something mythical about dual exhausts. What I liked best design wise on my 4G was the quads. The car looked badass from the rear. Bespoke speed and aggression. No exhausts is like a dog with its tail curled up between its legs imo
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015 | 04:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Deal breaker, not really for most people. At the TLX level they are simply a styling cue that says performance oriented. The styling cue is trickle down from actual performance cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, StingRay the German Troika etc.

The lack of exhaust finishers might simply signify a shift from the pervious 4 generations of juvenile looking TL's to a more staid grown up Avalon type look. I expect the demographic targets have shifted somewhat from the past.
If Acura is aiming the car towards the Avalon crowd, then boy, did they ever miss the mark with their marketing. They market the car as thrilling- please tell me how many Avalon buyers are looking for a thrill?

I'd assume the TLX was marketed for late 20s to early 40s buyers. I'd imagine those folks want something on the sportier side- if not, they'd all be climbing into an Avalon.
Old 01-30-2015 | 04:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Are you guys serious, that not having exhaust pipes sticking out the back is a potential deal-breaker?

Look at it this way - hidden pipes makes for a cleaner, less-cluttered look. What's the big deal about having "shinny" (by the way, it's spelled "shiney") pipes showing, anyway? You can't see them when you're driving, and exposed pipes don't do a thing for engine performance, or how well your stereo sounds, or how well the car handles fast sweepers.

For goodness sakes, go to a muffler shop and get some pipes fabbed up to hang down below the bumper if that makes you happier. It will look ghetto, but hey, you'll have shinny pipes.

Well, since I'm not allowed to call people out for what they are, I'll just say that your post is incredibly stupid.
Old 01-30-2015 | 04:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TacoBello
If Acura is aiming the car towards the Avalon crowd, then boy, did they ever miss the mark with their marketing. They market the car as thrilling- please tell me how many Avalon buyers are looking for a thrill?

I'd assume the TLX was marketed for late 20s to early 40s buyers. I'd imagine those folks want something on the sportier side- if not, they'd all be climbing into an Avalon.
Go buy a 4 cylinder Altima then. They have dual exhaust tips. You can put your fart can mufflers on it and be a real road terror.
The following 4 users liked this post by smoooov:
a35tl (01-30-2015), Stew4HD (01-30-2015), TSXmeister (02-02-2015), Warrior 6 (02-01-2015)
Old 01-30-2015 | 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by smoooov
Go buy a 4 cylinder Altima then. They have dual exhaust tips. You can put your fart can mufflers on it and be a real road terror.
a narrow mind with a narrow view.
Old 01-30-2015 | 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by smoooov
Why should anyone have to put fart cans on it. See a lot of them around & they look just fine. The finishers work well visually on the Altima & there are no mufflers hanging out below & unfinished like some cars with covered exhaust.
Old 01-30-2015 | 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

. They market the car as thrilling- please tell me how many Avalon buyers are looking for a thrill? .
Have no idea, was just looking for a car with a similar rear end exhaust treatment & the Avalon & Crown Vic popped out.

Hard to find a "thrill" car without dual finishers including the 4 previous generations of the Acura.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-30-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:18 AM
vbx
Instructor

You want an enthusiast car that has a nice sexy deep exhaust people can see and hear. Get a sports coupe.

You want a boring car to drive back and forth to work. Get a TLX.
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

All this fuss over protruding ornaments, which is all the tips are anyway. They serve no function, performance-wise. How does having them make a car "The ultimate driving machine" when there are 2 skinny pipes sticking out of one side of the car?

You guys can beat this topic to death so many times

Maybe Acura decided to follow MB's que?

Is the Tesla less cool without those unnecessary ornaments?

I thought I'd miss the ornaments but I don't, at all.
Old 01-31-2015 | 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Why do the majority of men stop to admire a woman with big boobs or a big butt? They serve no real advantage over small boobs or noassatall. It's just the way a lot of us are wired. Same with exhausts.
TacoBello (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015 | 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

For me, the lack of dual exhaust is not a deal breaker but I do like to see them. I am not sure if the dual tips that I like or the fact that it will be usually be accompanied by a sexy diffuser and makes the rear a little more sexier.

Again....a preference but not a requirement for me.
Old 01-31-2015 | 09:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
For me, the lack of dual exhaust is not a deal breaker but I do like to see them. I am not sure if the dual tips that I like or the fact that it will be usually be accompanied by a sexy diffuser and makes the rear a little more sexier.

Again....a preference but not a requirement for me.
And that's why my wife wanted the Accord over the TLX. She wanted the V6 and something sportly looking. Thus the Coupe EX-L V6. She is very happy which makes me happy.
Old 01-31-2015 | 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by frainc
And that's why my wife wanted the Accord over the TLX. She wanted the V6 and something sportly looking. Thus the Coupe EX-L V6. She is very happy which makes me happy.
In the end, that is truly all that matters! The EX-L V6 Coupe is a nice car. I liked mine. What color did you get? I had the Still Midnight Pearl (blue). I get to see the one I had all the time. A friend of mine bought it from me.
Old 01-31-2015 | 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
All this fuss over protruding ornaments, which is all the tips are anyway. They serve no function, performance-wise. How does having them make a car "The ultimate driving machine" when there are 2 skinny pipes sticking out of one side of the car?.
Its a IMHO a nice styling cue. Some people tack a non functional spoiler on a TL or TLX to get a little performance look.

Wonder if the non visible TLX pipes being part of the thrill now is because it no-longer has finishers? I remember all the people wetting their collective pants when the 3G went from base rectangular finishers to the quad ovals on the Type S. The Quads suggesting more power in a more sporty version of the car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-31-2015 at 11:29 AM.
TacoBello (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015 | 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ That is a sexy rear end if I may say so myself....
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Its a IMHO a nice styling cue. Some people tack a non functional spoiler on a TL or TLX to get a little performance look.

Wonder if the non visible TLX pipes being part of the thrill now is because it no-longer has finishers? I remember all the people wetting their collective pants when the 3G went from base rectangular finishers to the quad ovals on the Type S. The Quads suggesting more power in a more sporty version of the car.
Yawn
.... never pass up an opportunity to boast
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:25 PM
Racer

In the end, that is truly all that matters! The EX-L V6 Coupe is a nice car. I liked mine. What color did you get? I had the Still Midnight Pearl (blue). I get to see the one I had all the time. A friend of mine bought it from me.
We got the White Pearl which is nice with the windows tinted now. I wanted her to get the Still Midnight as I think its a sharp color on that car.

Last edited by frainc; 01-31-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Yawn
.... never pass up an opportunity to boast
What???

What's he boasting about, besides posting a picture that is relevant to the discussion?
silverTL6 (02-02-2015)
Old 01-31-2015 | 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

What???

What's he boasting about, besides posting a picture that is relevant to the discussion?
Poor taco. . It's over your head...by a mile.
Old 01-31-2015 | 06:31 PM
Racer

Poor taco. . It's over your head...by a mile.
2016 TLX
I know the 2015 just came out but hear acura going to employ the new grill on all model by 2016, and new packages (similar to ilx) which for me will be the determine between yes and no.

Saw A video with tlx next to the ilx and the ilx looks better with the new grill

The missing exhaust tip was a huge turn off for me but I am willing to over look it, if they replace the grill, headlights(led turn signal) and packaging. I like the premium package from the ilx. Just between the base and the tech

2014 e class have a luxury ( hidden exhaust) and a sport with nice and sexy exhaust tips
Old 01-31-2015 | 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xedap1998
2016 TLX
I know the 2015 just came out but hear acura going to employ the new grill on all model by 2016, and new packages (similar to ilx) which for me will be the determine between yes and no.

Saw A video with tlx next to the ilx and the ilx looks better with the new grill

The missing exhaust tip was a huge turn off for me but I am willing to over look it, if they replace the grill, headlights(led turn signal) and packaging. I like the premium package from the ilx. Just between the base and the tech

2014 e class have a luxury ( hidden exhaust) and a sport with nice and sexy exhaust tips
We like what we like. I certainly won't put you down for your preferences at all.

I don't know why led turn signals matter to some but it seems to and that's okay . I'm driving so I don't see the turn signals.
Old 01-31-2015 | 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

I tried to love the TLX...
Of course the tailpipes (lack of) put a bad taste in my mouth, but I was willing to look past that.
What killed it for me was the IDS' 4 Driving modes. It sounds great on paper, but in real life driving I would be driving in ECO or SPORT+ modes. Problem is, when I'm about to pass someone and get on it, I have to push that dang button 3 times (not nearly as efficient as dropping into sport mode on the 4G). Of course offering a manual would solve this....
Old 01-31-2015 | 07:10 PM
Racer

We like what we like. I certainly won't put you down for your preferences at all.

I don't know why led turn signals matter to some but it seems to and that's okay . I'm driving so I don't see the turn signals.
I can wait a little. My 04 TL is aging but I can hang on a little longer. Again if I have to buy a car today TLX it is but I can wait a bit. Acura is on their way back. They actually produce something I would buy. From 2009 to early 2013 they didn't have anything I would consider. Owen I see severally model that I would buy. Same for Honda
http://youtu.be/5XiUhqCyfL8

Last edited by xedap1998; 01-31-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2015 | 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jpsaab24
Of course the tailpipes (lack of) put a bad taste in my mouth, but I was willing to look past that.
What killed it for me was the IDS' 4 Driving modes. It sounds great on paper, but in real life driving I would be driving in ECO or SPORT+ modes. Problem is, when I'm about to pass someone and get on it, I have to push that dang button 3 times (not nearly as efficient as dropping into sport mode on the 4G). Of course offering a manual would solve this....
No you would not have to touch the button to pass. What a silly statement to make. If in eco mode and you punch it to pass..the car reacts immediately. I'd you want to be more responsive. ..just use the paddles and downshift once and you are gone. I know this for a fact
benjaminh (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015 | 07:27 PM
Instructor

Hard to find a "thrill" car without dual finishers including the 4 previous generations of the Acura.
Tesla
Old 01-31-2015 | 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^^^^
OK that's fair & it can provide a thrill with sub 4 second 0-60, but then again it has a motor not an engine. That inconvenient truth, to steal a green term, might tend to eliminate it from the discussion

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-31-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2015 | 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by xedap1998
2016 TLX

I could be wrong however I highly doubt the 2016 TLX will change in any way beyond software updates. That said - I like the new ILX grill too however the TLX grill has grown on me - I think the car is quite striking from the front.

Originally Posted by jpsaab24
Stew is correct - when passing you don't want/need to be messing with the IDS modes. You can either just stomp on it or hit the paddles a couple times to drop to a lower gear (similar to what you would do with a true manual) just before you want to pass - then stomp on it.
Old 02-01-2015 | 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Agree, regardless of what you are driving a manual downshift is the way to go to pass.
Old 02-02-2015 | 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Guess I should tell my daughter she needs to sell her Cayenne or cover the exhaust because some guy on an Acura board thinks his TLX is setting trends on exhaust pipes.
Seriously? You've been posting your opinion on this forum ad nauseum. I guess we should we all sell our cars because a guy who hasn't owned an Acura in years, but posts on the forum doesn't think it is trendy, or sporty enough.

IMO, the Lexus LS and GS have already hidden their exhaust. I say that because the openings they for exhaust have are faux tips. I prefer none to fake ones
I'll take the hidden over the fake any day. 5 series, 7 series. many sport sedans had hidden exhaust. Without the reflectors, it would probably be too bare, but the accent helps that. The fake tips that lexus used on the IS-F, and others are a big pet peeve of mine. The IS-F had beautifully integrated quadtips, but on an even casual glance, you could see the real single pipe visible through the ornamental tips. Just like fake body vents, etc. It just doesn't seem right. I'm in the same boat with the fake engine noises some are pumping into the cabins now... Just rubs me the wrong way.

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Stew is correct - when passing you don't want/need to be messing with the IDS modes. You can either just stomp on it or hit the paddles a couple times to drop to a lower gear (similar to what you would do with a true manual) just before you want to pass - then stomp on it.
Why in the world are people pressing buttons that control shift logic, and steering feel if you want to pass someone? Just step on the go pedal harder, or flick off some downshifts with the left paddle.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 02-02-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Seriously? You've been posting your opinion on this forum ad nauseum. I guess we should we all sell our cars because a guy who hasn't owned an Acura in years, but posts on the forum doesn't think it is trendy, or sporty enough.
Because I look forward to you & Stew posting such fun reply's to my posts.

We still have 1 MDX & 2 Pilots in the family so I am still part of the Honda family as it were. Sorry you have such difficulty in dealing with differing opinions but so be it.

BTW current 5 & 7 series do have exhaust finishers. Think the piped in the sound because the car are sealed to such an extent you can't here the engine. Some like it some don't that's what makes choice a good thing.

Agree on fake vents I like them functional.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-02-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

It may not have been intended by your responses but that ^^^ (difficulty in dealing with differing opinions) is exactly how I perceived your postings. As you said, so be it, who cares anyway.
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Because I look forward to you & Stew posting such fun reply's to my posts.

We still have 1 MDX & 2 Pilots in the family so I am still part of the Honda family as it were. Sorry you have such difficulty in dealing with differing opinions but so be it.
At least you admit to being a troll.

That is the first step.
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
It may not have been intended by your responses but that ^^^ (difficulty in dealing with differing opinions) is exactly how I perceived your postings. As you said, so be it, who cares anyway.
Thing is I enjoy some give & take but don't believe I have personally attacked anyone for their choices. Be pretty boring & reduce the hit counts for the sites revenue if we all just sat around passing out atta-boys.

Guy posts he is unhappy with his choice of a TLX & the same group of guys jump all over him. Another moves on to a different brand same people same results. Sort of like ethnic cleansing
TacoBello (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

At least you admit to being a troll.

That is the first step.
Because I enjoy your responses, interesting concept.
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Thing is I enjoy some give & take but don't believe I have personally attacked anyone for their choices. Be pretty boring & reduce the hit counts for the sites revenue if we all just sat around passing out atta-boys.

Guy posts he is unhappy with his choice of a TLX & the same group of guys jump all over him. Another moves on to a different brand same people same results. Sort of like ethnic cleansing
NO!!!

You're supposed to lap up everything Honda/Acura puts down in front of you, and you're supposed to LOVE it, regardless of what it is. Turd in a box? Does it have an Acura badge on it? I'll take 6 if it does!!!

The TLX has no flaws. And you're a dumb*** for buying something other than a TLX and/or Acura.
Old 02-02-2015 | 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Because I enjoy your responses, interesting concept.
Time for me to go troll the Bimmer sites, my cousin drives a 3 series! Wooot

And Taco, are your feelings hurt?

Last edited by Stew4HD; 02-02-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2015 | 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Time for me to go troll the Bimmer sites, my cousin drives a 3 series! Wooot

And Taco, are your feelings hurt?
No he doesnt, don't lie.

It's okay Stewie, we all know you have trouble finding your way out of a wet paper bag on the best of days. You'll get there one day, bud. I promise.

Maybe the guys at the Acura dealership will be able to help you, when they're finished repairing your TLX transmission
Old 02-02-2015 | 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Because I look forward to you & Stew posting such fun reply's to my posts............BTW current 5 & 7 series do have exhaust finishers.
So that's why you criticize others for behavior that you exhibit yourself....yeah that makes sense.

Yes the 5, and 7 currently have exhaust finishers, but that wasn't always the case; hence my statement that they "had" hidden exhausts

Quick Reply: I really want to like the TLX