Honestly: Would you recommend a Acura TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016 | 07:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
I own a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L which I bought brand new with 97,800 miles on it. Not a darn thing has gone wrong with this vehicle and it has been fantastic for my family.

We are now in the market for a new car and have test drove the 2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and really like it. The sticker is around $32,500 for it with the hopes of getting it around $30,000 if we went that route.

On the other hand I really like Acura's and have been heavily considering the TLX instead, especially since the upgrade is about $5,000 for the V6 model we are interested in.

BUT with the issues I've read about concerning the 2015 model, and the fact the 2016 is a complete carry-over model year, I want to get the opinions of those that have owned both years on whether they would recommend them to a new buyer like myself.

So would you recommend the TLX?

Would you recommend going with the Accord V6?

Thank you for your thoughts!
2016 Accord Touring is a much better value w/discount. It can be found for $32k brand new (East Coast). Accord has much more room inside, trunk space is also much larger. Accord is less refined, no ELS sound system, but it takes regular gas and it will be a bit cheaper to maintain.

The real competition to '16 Accord Touring is Acura RLX, which is similar in interior room. TLX is a great sporty sedan, but I consider it way too small and snug inside. Everything else is great in TLX - it handles well, enough power, great fuel efficiency etc.
Old 02-07-2016 | 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

No issues at all with my AWD Advance Model, and I would happily recommend it to anyone.

As far as AWD goes, sure I can get by fine with FWD, or RWD, but there's not denying it is better in the white stuff which NYC just got nailed with over the last 10 days. Add in the handling benefits, and lack of torque steer, and it was a must have for me.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016 | 08:04 PM
Racer

I think at this point I would be hard pressed to recommend Acura. My car is at the dealer and probably will be there for a week. If I get the go ahead to replace the tranny, then it will be there for another week or two. A new car that retails for $42,500 should not require weeks in the shop just to functions correctly when new.

My three kids each have $16-18K retail cars (Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic) that are 2-4 years old and none has needed anything beyond oil, brakes, and tires. Had my Lexus 9 years and wasn't at the dealer as much as the TLX has been in 9 weeks.

I regret purchasing the TLX and should not have let the price be the deciding factor. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and I wish I had spent more for the BMW, Audi, Inifiniti, or Lexus.
Old 02-07-2016 | 08:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neil0311
I think at this point I would be hard pressed to recommend Acura. My car is at the dealer and probably will be there for a week. If I get the go ahead to replace the tranny, then it will be there for another week or two. A new car that retails for $42,500 should not require weeks in the shop just to functions correctly when new.

My three kids each have $16-18K retail cars (Hyundai Elantra, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic) that are 2-4 years old and none has needed anything beyond oil, brakes, and tires. Had my Lexus 9 years and wasn't at the dealer as much as the TLX has been in 9 weeks.

I regret purchasing the TLX and should not have let the price be the deciding factor. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and I wish I had spent more for the BMW, Audi, Inifiniti, or Lexus.
It sounds like you got a "lemon". I've never heard anyone having that many issues with any Honda or Acura. It's my second Acura and I had another three Honda's - all reliable and no issues for years. Now Audi/BMW and Mercedes are known for issues, all of my friends that got German cars have issues, even with brand new ones.
Old 02-07-2016 | 08:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
It sounds like you got a "lemon". I've never heard anyone having that many issues with any Honda or Acura. It's my second Acura and I had another three Honda's - all reliable and no issues for years. Now Audi/BMW and Mercedes are known for issues, all of my friends that got German cars have issues, even with brand new ones.
Have you read the extensive threads on the forum? It's not like my experience is unique or the exception. Transmission issues, vibrations, rattles, and other issues seem to be common. Mine are the exact same issues as everyone else posting.

If Acura doesn't replace the transmission then I will begin a lemon law proceeding, but my issue is the lack of quality control. I let my greed for a good deal overrule my normal reluctance to buy a car in the initial model year. I will never, ever make that mistake again.

Last edited by neil0311; 02-07-2016 at 08:46 PM.
TacoBello (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016 | 09:38 PM
Intermediate

We picked up a 2015 TLX base about a month ago. I too had reservations regarding the initial model year but there was no stopping my SO. We looked at the ILX, TLX and RLX; Obvious ultimately choosing the TLX. Unlike Stanuwmad, I didn't notice much difference in size between the RLX and TLX. It didn't seem to drive like a larger vehicle, though it did "feel" heavier. The interior really didn't come on as more spacious. The ILX on the other hand had us both feeling claustrophobic. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the TLX, even though at this point I would recommend it. My personal issues are the consistent understeer, the terrible audio, the somewhat anemic feature set of the base (should have gone tech), factory rim size, style, offset, and the rather plain body. Then again, it isn't my car it's hers and she doesn't find/notice any of the flaws I do; She also loves the body style. That said, the car lives up to the promises we expected it to. Great mpg, good overall handling with an excellent factory suspension, it is quiet, peppy for a 4 banger, etc. I'll also add that after adding a Image Dynamics ID8 sub in place of the stock unit as well as some other audio related work, the sound has improved considerably. We also added 35% tint and a factory spoiler which helped with the styling; Albeit, it isn't quite there yet. In the spring, after the salt is gone, we will lower the car and put on a set of 19's. I have a feeling I'll come around a little more once the customization is complete.
Old 02-07-2016 | 09:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dochere2
We picked up a 2015 TLX base about a month ago. I too had reservations regarding the initial model year but there was no stopping my SO. We looked at the ILX, TLX and RLX; Obvious ultimately choosing the TLX. Unlike Stanuwmad, I didn't notice much difference in size between the RLX and TLX. It didn't seem to drive like a larger vehicle, though it did "feel" heavier. The interior really didn't come on as more spacious. The ILX on the other hand had us both feeling claustrophobic. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the TLX, even though at this point I would recommend it. My personal issues are the consistent understeer, the terrible audio, the somewhat anemic feature set of the base (should have gone tech), factory rim size, style, offset, and the rather plain body. Then again, it isn't my car it's hers and she doesn't find/notice any of the flaws I do; She also loves the body style. That said, the car lives up to the promises we expected it to. Great mpg, good overall handling with an excellent factory suspension, it is quiet, peppy for a 4 banger, etc. I'll also add that after adding a Image Dynamics ID8 sub in place of the stock unit as well as some other audio related work, the sound has improved considerably. We also added 35% tint and a factory spoiler which helped with the styling; Albeit, it isn't quite there yet. In the spring, after the salt is gone, we will lower the car and put on a set of 19's. I have a feeling I'll come around a little more once the customization is complete.
No, RLX is MUCH larger than TLX. I actually said TLX is very small and people that compare TLX to Accord should compare RLX to Accord in size. 2016 Accord Touring is a much better deal than TLX. Accord has cheaper plastic and weaker audio system, but some people don't care about those.
Old 02-07-2016 | 11:59 PM
Summer is Coming

The Accord Touring is a little larger than the TLX but not significantly. Feels very comfortable to me, but we came from a TSX.

TLX on the left, Accord Touring on the right.

Head Room: Front 37.2 inches 37.6 inches
Head Room: Rear 36.7 inches 37.0 inches
Leg Room: Front 42.6 inches 42.5 inches
Leg Room: Rear 34.5 inches 38.5 inches
Shoulder Room: Front 57.5 inches 58.6 inches
Shoulder Room: Rear 55.4 inches 56.5 inches
EPA Passenger 93.3 cu.ft. 100.8 cu.ft.
EPA Trunk or Cargo 14.3 cu.ft. 15.5 cu.ft.
Old 02-08-2016 | 12:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The Accord Touring is a little larger than the TLX but not significantly. Feels very comfortable to me, but we came from a TSX.

TLX on the left, Accord Touring on the right.

Head Room: Front 37.2 inches 37.6 inches
Head Room: Rear 36.7 inches 37.0 inches
Leg Room: Front 42.6 inches 42.5 inches
Shoulder Room: Front 57.5 inches 58.6 inches
Shoulder Room: Rear 55.4 inches 56.5 inches
EPA Passenger 93.3 cu.ft. 100.8 cu.ft.
EPA Trunk or Cargo 14.3 cu.ft. 15.5 cu.ft.
Yes, I looked at the numbers and I did also test drive Accord, TLX and I ended up getting RDX, which is significantly larger inside in every way. And why did I want to upgrade? Because I bought 2014 TSX, which I hated for it's small size and extremely small rear seat and tiny rear doors. When I drove TLX, it felt like an enlarged TSX. 2014 TL was definitely larger than TLX.

But TLX is not a bad car, it just feels too small for me and trunk could be bigger too.
Old 02-08-2016 | 12:21 AM
Advanced

I have only (this far) ridden in a TLX, the vehicle that was bought to replace the TL that was sold to me. The father in law got a great deal on a late 2.4l Tech package, which is exactly what he wanted, color and all. He has stated there at several things he misses about the TL, but all in all he is very happy with it. Since September I've put 6k on my TL, to the 9k or so on his TLX. I can't think of any real complaints I've heard about him, more just comparisons to the TL. I'm hoping once spring arrives and he puts wheels and tires on it, a few back roads might elicit a few more responses from him.
Old 02-08-2016 | 10:06 AM
Instructor

I have no problem recommending it,but I will rate it at the bottom of all of my Honda products. Coming from a 4G TL, the head unit is painfully slow even running the current software. Transmission has some kind of shudder while in cruise around 30-40mph(getting looked at during next service. And thanks to Siri Hands Free, I gave up my Android for an iPhone. Hate the iPHone but still like the TLX. Just has some minor issues, but it could be worse.
Old 02-08-2016 | 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The Accord Touring is a little larger than the TLX but not significantly.
... huge difference IMO.... the Accord will feel like a limo compared to the TLX!

Still not a reason to get the Accord in my book though. I wished that my TLX was smaller!
Old 02-08-2016 | 07:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Saintor
... huge difference IMO.... the Accord will feel like a limo compared to the TLX!

Still not a reason to get the Accord in my book though. I wished that my TLX was smaller!
I don't wish that my TLX was smaller as much as I wished that my 4G TL was. At times it felt like a barge.
Old 02-08-2016 | 10:46 PM
Banned

Unless you need the AWD no, I would not recommend the TLX over the Accord.

Compared to when I got my 4G TL back in 2010 (still miss that car), now there are a lot of good choices in the 30-40K price segment.
Old 02-09-2016 | 07:11 AM
6th Gear

I own a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L which I bought brand new with 97,800 miles on it. Not a darn thing has gone wrong with this vehicle and it has been fantastic for my family.

We are now in the market for a new car and have test drove the 2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and really like it. The sticker is around $32,500 for it with the hopes of getting it around $30,000 if we went that route.

On the other hand I really like Acura's and have been heavily considering the TLX instead, especially since the upgrade is about $5,000 for the V6 model we are interested in.

BUT with the issues I've read about concerning the 2015 model, and the fact the 2016 is a complete carry-over model year, I want to get the opinions of those that have owned both years on whether they would recommend them to a new buyer like myself.

UPDATE 2/9/15

Well I wanted everyone to know that had posted on this thread with your opinions to know I appreciated your thoughts.

We ended up going and test driving the 2016 Acura TLX yesterday, and sadly I was not impressed enough with the car to want to buy one.

I understand it is a sports sedan but I was very surprised how rough the car drove across a very smooth freeway. Also it seemed like every bump in the regular city roads I drove on I felt, and by the time the 30 minute test drive was over...I felt beat up.

Another thing that I did not know until I went in, was that Acura recommended premium gas for the vehicle. Now I'm not a cheap skate but if I am going to pay $.40/gallon more when I fill up, I better get more than 22 HP and 20 lbs of torque more than the regular gas equivalent 3.5L V6 found in the Honda Accord. If it had been 40 or 50 more HP than yes I could maybe justify the premium gas cost...but I just couldn't. With so many cars out there that have tons more HP/TQ that run on regular gas...this was seriously a deal breaker for us.

So we went over to Lexus down the road and bought a 2016 Lexus ES 350. Was a beautiful car! The interior was night and day better. The ride was night and day better. I felt the look of the vehicle was not better than the Acura but that wasn't a deal breaker. Plus the wife preferred the Lexus big time so of course I had no choice.

Best of all I told them I was heavily considering the Acura TLX, so they came under the cost by about $1,000 and we walked out with a mid-loaded ES350 for $43,230.00. The Acura was $44,230 (Advance package+crap dealership added).

Anyway I figured some would want to know what we ended up going with. Enjoy your Acura's boys it is not a bad car at all....just not the car for us.

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by Snake Plissken:
justnspace (02-09-2016), WheelMcCoy (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016 | 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

on your new car!

In the end, you bought the car that was best for you and your family. Happy Motoring.
Old 02-09-2016 | 10:46 AM
4th Gear

My friend has an Acura TLX. I drove it this weekend and I was very impressed. It looks like Mercedes Benz C class or even better.

I am saving money to get one
Old 02-09-2016 | 12:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Unless you need the AWD no, I would not recommend the TLX over the Accord.

Compared to when I got my 4G TL back in 2010 (still miss that car), now there are a lot of good choices in the 30-40K price segment.
Agree.
Old 02-09-2016 | 01:12 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by neil0311
Have you read the extensive threads on the forum? It's not like my experience is unique or the exception. Transmission issues, vibrations, rattles, and other issues seem to be common. Mine are the exact same issues as everyone else posting.

If Acura doesn't replace the transmission then I will begin a lemon law proceeding, but my issue is the lack of quality control. I let my greed for a good deal overrule my normal reluctance to buy a car in the initial model year. I will never, ever make that mistake again.

You know the saddest part about what you are talking about, is the fact Honda has had transmission problems for 10 out of 18 years.

The 1998-2002 Accords were absolutely riddled with transmission issues, and in fact I remember they extended the tranny warranties up and over 100,000 for several of those model years.

Then you had the Odyssey that was riddled with transmission problems from 2000-2006, and I believe they even extended warranties on those. I am not sure about that part.

Bottom line here they go again with transmission issues with the 9-speeds they have introduced.

I really do hope they get them corrected.
Old 02-12-2016 | 04:56 PM
Banned

Another thing that I did not know until I went in, was that Acura recommended premium gas for the vehicle. Now I'm not a cheap skate but if I am going to pay $.40/gallon more when I fill up,
Well *in theory* you can use the TLX on regular as it shares the same powertrain as the Pilot 2016 does. My experience may actually differ (but my car has not even 800 miles).
Old 02-12-2016 | 06:51 PM
epa
6th Gear

I have a 2015 TLX V6 w/Advance pkg. bought it in late October 2015. I've had: 3 tranny updates non of which did a thing. Still have hard 2-3rd shifts, electrical problems and a bad left front strut replaced. Now a TSB for crimped wires in the electrical system. Would I recommend the TLX...Hell NO! I came from a 2012 BMW 328i. Absolutely no comparrison. BMW hands down in ALL departments. The chief machanic at the Acura dealership admitted to me they released the car way too soon. There are lots of complaints in all areas. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.
Old 02-13-2016 | 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by epa
I have a 2015 TLX V6 w/Advance pkg. bought it in late October 2015. I've had: 3 tranny updates non of which did a thing. Still have hard 2-3rd shifts, electrical problems and a bad left front strut replaced. Now a TSB for crimped wires in the electrical system. Would I recommend the TLX...Hell NO! I came from a 2012 BMW 328i. Absolutely no comparrison. BMW hands down in ALL departments. The chief machanic at the Acura dealership admitted to me they released the car way too soon. There are lots of complaints in all areas. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.
My 2 previous cars were BMW and I disagree with you. The last one that I sold last December after 8 years was a PAIN to keep on the road, and has been like this, since its first month. Try $8237 over this period.

No way that the N20 4-cyl. in your 2012 328i was feeling better than the Honda's V6. And I must have driven a dozen of them.

BTW, the TLX V6 and 3-series get their transmission from probably the best; ZF.

In my experience and unlike BMW, Honda knows and does solve their first year problems quickly. I am not saying that I wouldn't buy a BMW again. I absolutely loved my first one. The second one was a mixed bag and left me a sour taste.
Old 02-13-2016 | 06:22 AM

UPDATE 2/9/15

Well I wanted everyone to know that had posted on this thread with your opinions to know I appreciated your thoughts.

We ended up going and test driving the 2016 Acura TLX yesterday, and sadly I was not impressed enough with the car to want to buy one.

I understand it is a sports sedan but I was very surprised how rough the car drove across a very smooth freeway. Also it seemed like every bump in the regular city roads I drove on I felt, and by the time the 30 minute test drive was over...I felt beat up.

Another thing that I did not know until I went in, was that Acura recommended premium gas for the vehicle. Now I'm not a cheap skate but if I am going to pay $.40/gallon more when I fill up, I better get more than 22 HP and 20 lbs of torque more than the regular gas equivalent 3.5L V6 found in the Honda Accord. If it had been 40 or 50 more HP than yes I could maybe justify the premium gas cost...but I just couldn't. With so many cars out there that have tons more HP/TQ that run on regular gas...this was seriously a deal breaker for us.

So we went over to Lexus down the road and bought a 2016 Lexus ES 350. Was a beautiful car! The interior was night and day better. The ride was night and day better. I felt the look of the vehicle was not better than the Acura but that wasn't a deal breaker. Plus the wife preferred the Lexus big time so of course I had no choice.

Best of all I told them I was heavily considering the Acura TLX, so they came under the cost by about $1,000 and we walked out with a mid-loaded ES350 for $43,230.00. The Acura was $44,230 (Advance package+crap dealership added).

Anyway I figured some would want to know what we ended up going with. Enjoy your Acura's boys it is not a bad car at all....just not the car for us.

Cheers!
No question about it - if ride quality and road noise is your number one then Lexus should be very high on the short list.

Funny thing though - I moved from a 13 Accord EXL to the TLX primarily because it rides soooo much better than the Accord and is a bit more quiet too. My Accord was fine on the highway but was very ox-cart like on the many side streets I deal with around my house. So in the end it's all relative!

That said - I would have entertained a Lexus but the new styling really drove me away (pun intended). I wish the TLX was *just* a bit more sporty looking but otherwise I think it's a great looking car.

Enjoy your new car!!
Old 02-13-2016 | 08:04 AM
Intermediate

While I'm new here and to Acura in general, I have participated on the BMW forums for quite some time and have owned several in the last 20 years. There is no comparison, in a model segment showdown, BMW trumps anything Acura has put on the road in terms of handling and performance. I have to disagree with the reliability comments as well in terms of BMW, I have found them to be extremely reliable and easy to maintain. That said, all cars have their quirks. It is the same thing on the BMW boards, 100 happy, one mad as hell. In the end it comes down to personal preference. If you can get over the rather bland, simplistic / sport styling of the BMW interior and the ultimate driving experience is what you seek, BMW should most certainly be a contender. I'll also add that, though I have a few grievances with the TLX, most are personal preference issues. It has proven thus far to be a very good car and I find it to be well rounded; A good compromise to cars that lean more toward sport or more toward the luxury side. Both of us agree, we'd buy another and Acura will be on the list with the next upgrade.
Old 02-13-2016 | 02:09 PM
Racer

I think a lot of perception plays into the variables here. There's no denying differences in performance against the Germans but you always have a "better" performing car out there. No, recommendations aren't about companions but about perceptions and Acura has been constantly undervalued in the recent years... if you think of it as a stock it's a must buy stock.
Old 02-13-2016 | 02:46 PM
Racer

Yeah the new Accord feels pretty big in the rear seat; I've ridden in a couple as an Uber passenger. I much prefer the smaller feel of my TLX.
Old 02-13-2016 | 02:51 PM
Racer

UPDATE 2/9/15

Cheers!
A counterpoint on the ES350; I had one as a rental and just found it very blah. I'm still a young guy (30) and I can see why older people like Lexus; the suspension is tuned to be soft. Sure it rode nice, but I thought the handling was a bit wallow-y; it rolled quite a bit in the turns. I didn't find the V6 very exciting either. The sport mode was also worse than the normal mode in my TLX. In short, not the car for me. I couldn't have been happier to get back into my TLX the next day.
Old 02-13-2016 | 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Would I recommend TLX? It depends. For someone perhaps coming from Corolla or Civic, I would recommend base TLX, but that is where my recommendation ends. Any other model, especially FWD, is a joke and not worth the money.

The FWD TLX advance 3.5 vs Accord Touring, there is 8k MSRP difference. The strange thing is, you get less with TLX (except longer warranty on Acura). Accord has every single feature that TLX Advance has, plus it offers more and all that is for 8k less (MSRP wise). Accord also looks better with the stock 19" rims vs 18" stock TLX and also wears much better tires (according to tirerack.com). I would not be surprised it if handled better too. The cabin noise is identical - both are at 69db.

I am not sure about material in Accord, but after owning TLX for about 4-5 months, and now owning 2013 TSX, I can honestly say that TLX material are at the best at TSX level and that I think is a stretch to say cause TLX has definitely more hard plastics and the front seats are 1-2 notches below the TSX. They are not as supportive and have smaller bolsters.

Glad you made you decision and good luck with Lexus. Even a base ES350 is in a class above what FWD TLX can offer.
TacoBello (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016 | 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mlody
Even a base ES350 is in a class above what FWD TLX can offer.
Absurd on so many levels.

If a FWD TLX V6 would have been available in 2016 Canadian market, I would have got it and avoid the annual $150-200 differential oil change,.

If the TLX is a glorified Accord, then the ES is clearly a glorified Camry.
Old 02-13-2016 | 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Why is it absurd on so many levels?

The ES reliability is light years ahead of the TLX.

And the ES interior materials are more durable and more luxurious than the TLX.

And the ES is available with a better stereo (15 speaker Mark Levinson) than the TLX.

And the ES has a great, buttery smooth transmission unlike the TLX.

And the ES has more unique, distinguishable and noticeable styling, where the TLX does not stand out at all.

And for those who care, the ES can be had in hybrid form, unlike the TLX.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Granted, the TLX is sportier, but Lexus is more about luxury than performance (not including the F line up). And let's be honest, even Acura isn't about performance either, but they sure want people to believe they are.
Old 02-13-2016 | 07:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mlody
Would I recommend TLX? It depends. For someone perhaps coming from Corolla or Civic, I would recommend base TLX, but that is where my recommendation ends. Any other model, especially FWD, is a joke and not worth the money.

The FWD TLX advance 3.5 vs Accord Touring, there is 8k MSRP difference. The strange thing is, you get less with TLX (except longer warranty on Acura). Accord has every single feature that TLX Advance has, plus it offers more and all that is for 8k less (MSRP wise). Accord also looks better with the stock 19" rims vs 18" stock TLX and also wears much better tires (according to tirerack.com). I would not be surprised it if handled better too. The cabin noise is identical - both are at 69db.

I am not sure about material in Accord, but after owning TLX for about 4-5 months, and now owning 2013 TSX, I can honestly say that TLX material are at the best at TSX level and that I think is a stretch to say cause TLX has definitely more hard plastics and the front seats are 1-2 notches below the TSX. They are not as supportive and have smaller bolsters.

Glad you made you decision and good luck with Lexus. Even a base ES350 is in a class above what FWD TLX can offer.
So my FWD V6 TLX is a joke and not worth the money I paid for it? Bahaha get out of here. Who do you think you are to get on this forum and tell all these owners that their car they spent their hard earned money on is garbage?

Guess what the TLX has over the Accord? STYLING. Inside and out. Even without the exposed exhaust and 19" wheels I still think my car looks much better than the Accord. And how many people go from a Civic/Corolla to a TLX?? Nice recommendations...

We get it, you didn't like your TLX. But don't go on a TLX forum bashing everyone's TLXs. There are plenty of things I don't like about the TSX, but I keep my mouth shut because I'm not a d*ck and don't feel the need to talk trash on other people's cars.
Old 02-14-2016 | 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Why is it absurd on so many levels?

The ES reliability is light years ahead of the TLX.

And the ES interior materials are more durable and more luxurious than the TLX.
Coming from a 3-series, I am satisfied with my TLX's cockpit quality, except maybe that the dash layout. I didn't like the ES interior... felt too Buick-like,

And the ES is available with a better stereo (15 speaker Mark Levinson) than the TLX.
I will give you that one. My base audio quality sucks.

And the ES has a great, buttery smooth transmission unlike the TLX.
You don't know what you are talking about; my 2016 9-sp. is butter smooth.

And the ES has more unique, distinguishable and noticeable styling, where the TLX does not stand out at all.
Absolutely the contrary. If you like geriatric styling, the ES is the car for you.
Stew4HD (03-05-2016)
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:17 PM
Advanced

I currently drive a first gen RDX and have been considering a TLX. I go back and forth between wanting a sedan or small SUV as a replacement.

I haven't been in a Lexus in over a decade but I've been hearing so much about how vastly inferior the interior materials are in Acura compared to its competitors so I've been curious. I sat in a few Lexus models at the dealer yesterday and drove an NX200t. I do like the styling and the interior of the NX over the current RDX but boy was that drive boring. The acceleration was disappointing after driving the RDX for many years. Why build an interesting, edgier looking SUV that drives like a minivan? I think the current gen RDX I had as a loaner had better acceleration but it's a little bland on the inside and I think the outside styling is a step down from the first gen.

I also sat in the IS200t and the ES350. The IS is too small for my taste but it also had nice styling and interior. IMO, the ES350 looked like a bloated boat compared to the TLX. Like others, the interior seemed a bit Buick-like to me. It sounds like it rides more like an American luxury sedan from what I've been reading. Neither of those things are appealing to me at this point in my life (maybe in ten or fifteen years...) I probably should drive one to check out the Mark Levinson system because the sound system is honestly more important to me than the percentage of hard plastics in the interior. I've been very happy with the ELS system in my RDX over the years though.
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:20 PM
Team Owner

You don't know what you are talking about; my 2016 9-sp. is butter smooth.
So the threads in the TLX section about rough shifting 9 speeds isn't true? I didn't say everyone of them is bad- but they sure do exist, and a lot more than the ES

Absolutely the contrary. If you like geriatric styling, the ES is the car for you.
Geriatric styling?

Looks are subjective, but I dunno, geriatric styling is a BIT of a stretch...
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Like I said earlier, I WOULD recommend the TLX to a certain group of people, but it's somewhat a group trapped in the middle of the spectrum. If someone was wanting a sport experience, I'd likely push them to the Germans. Is the TLX bad? No, but it's not as sporty as it's competitors. If someone was looking for more comfort and luxury, I'd likely push them to Lexus. Is the TLX bad? No, but it doesn't offer the caliber of luxury that Lexus does.

Saintor, I don't expect you to agree, but sales numbers don't lie. While Acura has improved in 2015, it still is behind all others in the luxury segment. There HAS to be a reason for it.

That being said, there is a happy medium where Acura sits. It's kind of sporty. It's kind of luxurious. Call it the jack of all trades. It doesn't excel at anything but it does touch on a bit of everything. There is a market segment for that. It's to those people I would suggest the TLX.

There's also the people who are most interested in reliability, above everything else. They don't care about luxury or sport. To those people, I would not recommend Acura at all. Acura is NOT what it was when it comes to reliability. I wouldn't recommend the Germans either. To those people, I'd say Lexus.
Old 02-14-2016 | 01:58 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
A counterpoint on the ES350; I had one as a rental and just found it very blah. I'm still a young guy (30) and I can see why older people like Lexus; the suspension is tuned to be soft. Sure it rode nice, but I thought the handling was a bit wallow-y; it rolled quite a bit in the turns. I didn't find the V6 very exciting either. The sport mode was also worse than the normal mode in my TLX. In short, not the car for me. I couldn't have been happier to get back into my TLX the next day.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about the ES350. My dad owns one. It is a nice comfortable car for people who want that. But it's so so wallowy. The TLX feels sharper while still being quite comfortable to me (I came out of a TL-S and choose the TLX SH-AWD over the IS350 AWD (RWD is not available in Canada).
Old 02-14-2016 | 02:06 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

So the threads in the TLX section about rough shifting 9 speeds isn't true? I didn't say everyone of them is bad- but they sure do exist, and a lot more than the ES
Nobody has reported any of the 2016 transmissions being rough. It was only the 2015's. The ES has been using the same tranny for a long ass time so it better be smooth. Like I said, my dad has a 2015 ES350 and he's very happy with it, but I disliked the drive each time I've driven it. The materials are only slightly better than the TLX and it's slightly more comfortable but a lot less sporty (the TLX isn't sporty as the germans but SH-AWD makes a huge difference). The ES350 is a good car, but the 2016+ TLX is also.
Old 02-14-2016 | 03:00 PM
Banned

Yeah, like supporting Trump is a matter of nostalgia, what you report is SO 2015.

Saintor, I don't expect you to agree, but sales numbers don't lie. While Acura has improved in 2015, it still is behind all others in the luxury segment. There HAS to be a reason for it.
And the Camry is still the mid-size sales leader... who cares!
Old 02-28-2016 | 05:54 PM
Racer

There's also the people who are most interested in reliability, above everything else. They don't care about luxury or sport. To those people, I would not recommend Acura at all. Acura is NOT what it was when it comes to reliability. I wouldn't recommend the Germans either. To those people, I'd say Lexus.
Having owned a Lexus IS for 9 years prior to the TLX, and given the horrible introduction to Acura, I have to agree.

In the first couple of months and 2,000 miles of ownership, my TLX has needed a new transmission, new tires to stop vibration, a new audio system due to deflects, insulation of the rear deck to stop horrible vibrations in the subwoofer and rear speakers, and now my navigation system is rebooting spontaneously.

All in all, I like vehicle (or I wouldn't have bought it), but the build quality has been horrible. The car has been at the dealer for repair for more than 3 weeks, which is more than my Lexus was at the dealer over 9 years. My son's Hyundai, which is 4 years old has been more reliable.

Personally, I would not buy another Acura nor recommend an Acura product. I'm actually astounded at how poor the quality has been.
Old 02-28-2016 | 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ ...and I am sure that is partly why CR dropped the reliability of Acura the way it did. It is unfortunate but I try and remain hopeful that they'll act together. I want a MMC TLX so badly but not if they can't get their issues sorted out.

Quick Reply: Honestly: Would you recommend a Acura TLX?