Got the Remote Start installed and the TLX OEM All Weather Floor Mats today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Got the Remote Start installed and the TLX OEM All Weather Floor Mats today.

If you have any questions please ask. I am happy with both and will post pictures of the mats later.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How much did you end up paying for the remote start and install?

Im looking to see if I can get it thrown in for free with the purchase of the car.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Pro

I went back to the dealer a couple days after I bought the car because I was not happy with the price they had given me on the extended warranty. They first tried to offer me a few hundred dollars off - I explained that I wanted the remote start. I said "you get the remote start installed for me and we're good" - he tried to say that well they can mail me a check and I walked with my dealer from the finance guy's office over to the parts department to get the price etc. After some haggling I was displeased so I told them: "No, I want YOU to deal with all that, I don't want a check mailed to me etc., either you install the remote start as if I had bought it with the car, or I'm cancelling my extended warranty today" - they said OK and handed me a signed piece of paper that says "Dealer Owes: Remote Start.

The listed price on the work order for the kit + install was $750 but the bottom lined for what I would be charged was $0 No way would I pay $750 though! You can get the kit online for $280 and if you install it yourself the dealer should program the keys for you for about $50 (if they won't do it for free). Just saying that for your reference, assuming you want to have the dealer install it for you...

Once you get a price for the car that you're happy with, say "if you throw in the Remote Start, I'll take it" maybe? I expect they would rather do that, than not sell you the car.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
I went back to the dealer a couple days after I bought the car because I was not happy with the price they had given me on the extended warranty. They first tried to offer me a few hundred dollars off - I explained that I wanted the remote start. I said "you get the remote start installed for me and we're good" - he tried to say that well they can mail me a check and I walked with my dealer from the finance guy's office over to the parts department to get the price etc. After some haggling I was displeased so I told them: "No, I want YOU to deal with all that, I don't want a check mailed to me etc., either you install the remote start as if I had bought it with the car, or I'm cancelling my extended warranty today" - they said OK and handed me a signed piece of paper that says "Dealer Owes: Remote Start.

The listed price on the work order for the kit + install was $750 but the bottom lined for what I would be charged was $0 No way would I pay $750 though! You can get the kit online for $280 and if you install it yourself the dealer should program the keys for you for about $50 (if they won't do it for free). Just saying that for your reference, assuming you want to have the dealer install it for you...

Once you get a price for the car that you're happy with, say "if you throw in the Remote Start, I'll take it" maybe? I expect they would rather do that, than not sell you the car.
Mmmh, $750 is crazy steep. Good for you standing your ground...
Old 12-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Out of curiosity, what changed that made you unhappy about the price of the extended warranty?

Did you come across more accurate info after the purchase? Not flaming or criticizing, just curious.

Glad you were able to rectify the issue.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 12-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gkon
Out of curiosity, what changed that made you unhappy about the price of the extended warranty?
Did you come across more accurate info after the purchase? Not flaming or criticizing, just curious.
A day or two after we bought the car I learned that the price we had negotiated down to was still at least $500 higher than what other places were charging. Seems like a pretty scumbag thing to do, to not charge a 'fair" price to start with, trying to take advantage of people when they're buying a car, maybe tired, nervous, worried about protecting their substantial investment - sure you could probably sell them an extended warranty at that time. I bet there are a lot of people that don't buy them though, but would have wanted to, except they know they're such a bad deal (particularly when you pay the price they first ask for).

Last edited by Christopher.; 12-24-2017 at 01:13 PM.