Does speed impact LKAS capability to stay in lane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does speed impact LKAS capability to stay in lane?

A general question for the forum, I've notice that if I am going above 60mph under good driving conditions that LKAS doesn't effectively keep me in the lanes as it would if I was cruising at say 50mph. The MID indicates that it is tracking correctly with solid lines.
I recently had a my camera replaced (posted a earlier thread about random error messages that were coming up on my MID), the dealer identified a faulty camera and was replaced under warranty and that solved my problem. But I'm not certain if the dealer did the appropriate calibration on the install.
So I'm if curious to get everyone else's feedback on LKAS and it's effectiveness above 60mph.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I have not seen any issues up to 80 mph, even going around smooth turnpike curves. If the lane markers cannot be seen you can lose lock and then drift. Bright sun or dirty roads can cause a lose-lock issue from personal experience.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
I have not seen any issues up to 80 mph, even going around smooth turnpike curves. If the lane markers cannot be seen you can lose lock and then drift. Bright sun or dirty roads can cause a lose-lock issue from personal experience.
Agreed! I know it works very well on interstates up to and perhaps a little over 80MPH. As the markers get more faded it will have issues, but it even works pretty reliably in heavy rains.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your responses. And that was what I was expecting to hear. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to try out LKAS prior to my camera swap so have no basis for comparison (car only had 200 miles when it sat at the dealer for several days waiting for them to resolve the error codes).
My dilemma now is do I bring my car back to the dealer and have them re calibrate the camera? I run the risk, waste of time and disappointment of them stating that this is normal behavior for the car.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I've tested it a few times at 70'ish mph and it seemed to work ok.

Stupid question, but did you use your turn signal when attempting to test it? I don't believe it will activate if you use your turn signal as you test "drifting over the line". Don't think it'll work with the wipers running, either.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Works fine for me at speeds up to (and probably above) 80 mph. And it won't activate if your turn signal is on. Don't know about with the wipers running.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rip1125
Thanks for your responses. And that was what I was expecting to hear. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to try out LKAS prior to my camera swap so have no basis for comparison (car only had 200 miles when it sat at the dealer for several days waiting for them to resolve the error codes).
My dilemma now is do I bring my car back to the dealer and have them re calibrate the camera? I run the risk, waste of time and disappointment of them stating that this is normal behavior for the car.
If they do not fix the issue to your satisfaction, call Acura Client Relations.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wlkeel
Works fine for me at speeds up to (and probably above) 80 mph. And it won't activate if your turn signal is on. Don't know about with the wipers running.
If you hit the brake or cross an intersection, it will disable. I have had no issues on the turnpike. Seems there is a minimum speed limit required as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Cruisin'

I've tested this on different days and different highways with various degrees of slight turns. No turn signals, no wipers and the tracking indicators solid. I can feel that it is working but just seems to wander a bit or is delayed in following the slight curvatures of the highway at higher speeds. Works relatively well in the 55-60mph range, but definitely tends to wander above 60mph.

I've read posts about how the Acura techs have had difficulty calibrating the cams, I thought it was odd that the tech at my dealer successfully installed a new cam and calibrated in one short afternoon. Maybe I'm expecting too much but seems as though others are fairly happy with the technology.

Guess it's back to the dealer for the third time since taking delivery - all only camera related thankfully as I haven't had to deal with any of the other issues posted here.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I've tested this on different days and different highways with various degrees of slight turns. No turn signals, no wipers and the tracking indicators solid. I can feel that it is working but just seems to wander a bit or is delayed in following the slight curvatures of the highway at higher speeds. Works relatively well in the 55-60mph range, but definitely tends to wander above 60mph.

I've read posts about how the Acura techs have had difficulty calibrating the cams, I thought it was odd that the tech at my dealer successfully installed a new cam and calibrated in one short afternoon. Maybe I'm expecting too much but seems as though others are fairly happy with the technology.

Guess it's back to the dealer for the third time since taking delivery - all only camera related thankfully as I haven't had to deal with any of the other issues posted here.
It looks like you troubleshot the issue and still see the problem. If it doesn't work for you, definitely complain to the dealer. Maybe even complain to Acura Customer Relations.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have paperwork stating camera not functioning correctly each of the three times, then one more and hire a lemon law attorney and have Acura replace the whole car.