Crunch time, GS350 AWD or TLX AWD ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014 | 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

congrat on the GS and hope you enjoy it.

The GS handles better in general and lot more refined. but the TLX is a better buy IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Jmark (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014 | 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Congrats on the GS. Let's see some pics...
Old 10-17-2014 | 02:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
congrat on the GS and hope you enjoy it.

The GS handles better in general and lot more refined. but the TLX is a better buy IMO.
Yes I agree as stated previously.
It's funny because I've not yet recieved my new GS350 and I'm already missing my 3G TL! It's been a superb vehicle in every respect!

If the TLX had better seats and a more refined tranny I likely would have went with the TLX.
I'm hoping it's going to be worth the extra $8k paid, as I could have easily kept the TL for another year to see what happens with the TLX.
I belive Acura is back in the game with the TLX and I see good things with Acura going forward.
Old 10-17-2014 | 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

The 3G TL is definitely a nice car all around. i still enjoy it every moment even though it's a 10 years old car. I hope Acura can improve the build material, tranny and the front beak of the TLX and it will be a big hit no doubt.

I am sure you will enjoy the GS350 and the luxury of Lexus. Keep us updated and post pictures when you get a chance. Congrat again
Old 10-27-2014 | 05:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
The 3G TL is definitely a nice car all around. i still enjoy it every moment even though it's a 10 years old car. I hope Acura can improve the build material, tranny and the front beak of the TLX and it will be a big hit no doubt.

I am sure you will enjoy the GS350 and the luxury of Lexus. Keep us updated and post pictures when you get a chance. Congrat again
Well the car finally arrived at the dealership!

Pick it up tomorrow. Im having a heck of a time even thinking about selling my TL as its such an awesome vehicle. Plus I'm finding out some things about the Lexus that's causing me to feel unsettled. For one, it appears they may have neutered the ML Stereo system such that is doesn't even play lossless audio Codecs! Never mind the fact my Eagles 5.1 DTS disk wouldn't play in the system, but the salesman assured me it was a faulty disk which I don't think is true.

I'll be sure to update this thread once I've had a chance to play with the car.

Wish me luck guys as I really love my 3G TL and liked the TLX. So this Luxury vs near luxury car better be worth it!! Or else LOL
Old 10-27-2014 | 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Congrats and I for one will be closely monitoring your love/hate relationship with Lexus as I am embark on the same journey next spring. I am still struggling to part with my dealer and given that I like the ILX (2.4) which will get its MMC next spring...I MAY consider getting that instead of the Lexus but right now, the needle is tipping on the L side, but not by much
Old 10-28-2014 | 07:13 AM
Liquid Ice

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the ML system - hopefully that is the only thing you're disappointed with. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so I don't have the ML system (although I probably would have gotten it if I were ordering the car instead of buying one off the lot).
Old 10-28-2014 | 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jmark

Pick it up tomorrow. Im having a heck of a time even thinking about selling my TL as its such an awesome vehicle. Plus I'm finding out some things about the Lexus that's causing me to feel unsettled. For one, it appears they may have neutered the ML Stereo system such that is doesn't even play lossless audio Codecs! Never mind the fact my Eagles 5.1 DTS disk wouldn't play in the system, but the salesman assured me it was a faulty disk which I don't think is true.

Wish me luck guys as I really love my 3G TL and liked the TLX. So this Luxury vs near luxury car better be worth it!! Or else LOL
That is odd to hear about the ML system. The '13 GS I had played the DTS-CDs and DVDs.

I added that little box to my head unit that allowed me to play DVDs while driving and access the MID in drive.
Old 10-28-2014 | 10:31 AM
Instructor

I'll have to give the ML system a good test with various formats before I make judgement.
From what I've gleaned so far they took a bunch of codecs out of the sytstem in the '14 model, and if true it would only be to save $ on buying Codecs.
But I can't seem to find any definitive info. about the unit? And different countries seem to get different equipment.

Stew what little box are you referring to? Sounds cool!

I'm still excited about picking up the car today!
I'm probably being overly concerned about everything, because this is the first time I've stroked a cheque for that kind of money to buy a car cash.
When I see the size of hole that cheque left in my hard earned savings account, it seems to makes it REAL!
It feels different than a Lease Obligation or payments LOL Tempers the excitment level and you want to make sure every penny being spent gets you something of value. I knew going in buying a new vehicle is waste of $$ due to instant depreciation, but it's different this time Especially when I look at my perfectly good, low milage TL....
Old 10-28-2014 | 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Jmark...what you could do is divide the total cost of the vehicle and divide it by 60 and every month, replace that 1/60th of the payment back in your saving account. This way, it feels like you borrowed money from yourself at 0 percent interest YOu need to be disciplined and I would suggest an auto transfer so that the monthly transfer occurs automatically That way, in 5 years from now, the car will still be yours and your savings will have all been replenished.
The following 3 users liked this post by weather:
jjsC5 (10-29-2014), Jmark (10-29-2014), JT4 (10-29-2014)
Old 10-28-2014 | 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll have to give the ML system a good test with various formats before I make judgement.
From what I've gleaned so far they took a bunch of codecs out of the sytstem in the '14 model, and if true it would only be to save $ on buying Codecs.
But I can't seem to find any definitive info. about the unit? And different countries seem to get different equipment.

Stew what little box are you referring to? Sounds cool!

I'm still excited about picking up the car today!
I'm probably being overly concerned about everything, because this is the first time I've stroked a cheque for that kind of money to buy a car cash.
When I see the size of hole that cheque left in my hard earned savings account, it seems to makes it REAL!
It feels different than a Lease Obligation or payments LOL Tempers the excitment level and you want to make sure every penny being spent gets you something of value. I knew going in buying a new vehicle is waste of $$ due to instant depreciation, but it's different this time Especially when I look at my perfectly good, low milage TL....
Check this out.. easy, easy to install

LINK
Jmark (10-29-2014)
Old 10-29-2014 | 12:35 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Lexus..

Good Luck..
Old 10-31-2014 | 07:10 PM
Instructor

An update now that I've put a few miles on the GS and did some research.

The ML Stereo was in fact Neutered! It only plays Mp3's and WMA Codecs
It does play DVD's which is cool, but no DVD-A which in all fairness is dead anyway.
You can watch the DVD on the nice big screen and when you put the car in drive the video is overlayed with the Navi but the music still plays.
No discrete DTS, just PCM stream which is then multiplexed. Overall the sound is still very good. Put the Acura sound test DVD i got with my TL and it sounded quite good throughout all the tests.

The seats are 16 way adjustable on both sides and are amazingly comfortable. My wife is now excited about going on a trip!

The engine/tranny management is very smooth and no matter which driving mode I put it in, responds as expected. No hesitations or farts, it just gets up and goes. It feels faster and smoother than the TLX and I hate to say it, but handles much better than the TLX. It came with 18" ( love the wheels) Michelin MXM4 P235/45R18 tires.
On that big dip in the curve Ive talked about before the GS soaks it up without as much as a wiggle! Is it because the GX is biased towards RW drive while the TLX is opposite?

Overall impression is the GS was worth the extra $8k spent on it vs the TLX.
LiQiCE (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014 | 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Right - but there is a delay at least on my MDX, so if I grab the door handle and pull right away, on the MDX it isn't unlocked yet. It has beeped to indicate that it unlocked, but it isn't open at the time I pull the door handle. I have to pull a second time while the GS always is open when I pull the handle.

It is like the response time to unlock the doors on the GS is faster than the MDX. If I hesitate an extra 1/2 second before pulling the door on the MDX then it is open, but if I do the same thing I do with the GS and just grab the handle and open it, it doesn't work.

I'd be interested to see if any TLX owners have experienced something similar.
Wow….I would definitely pay 18K more for that 1/2 second less and a few other goodies…..NOT. It's a silly comparison. Why not compare The LEXUS to the RLX….or better still TLX to the Lexus 250….no contest!
Old 10-31-2014 | 11:46 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Wow….I would definitely pay 18K more for that 1/2 second less and a few other goodies…..NOT. It's a silly comparison. Why not compare The LEXUS to the RLX….or better still TLX to the Lexus 250….no contest!
We compared the TLX to the GS because thats what the OP was considering. They're also very similar in size. I also did a similar comparison when I decided to buy my GS over the TLX.

And - I was not saying that the delay means the GS is the car to buy because of it, I was simply mentioning something I noticed between my MDX and GS that I thought was interesting and I was curious if it happened to people who owned the TLX as well.

BTW- The difference for me was not $18k, it was more like $7k at the time (when compared with the TLX SH-AWD Advance) - less if you were to add the bodykit to the TLX to compare with my GS F-Sport's exterior changes.

But if you read my original posts - I even said the TLX is a better value than the GS. There are things that imho make the GS better than the TLX - I noted a lot of them in my posts. Whether they're worth more is something that is up to you when you buy the car and everyone needs to make that decision for themselves.

In the end - we're talking Luxury vehicles, if you want the best value you should be looking at Honda/Toyota not Acura/Lexus.
Old 10-31-2014 | 11:55 PM
Liquid Ice

An update now that I've put a few miles on the GS and did some research.

The ML Stereo was in fact Neutered! It only plays Mp3's and WMA Codecs
It does play DVD's which is cool, but no DVD-A which in all fairness is dead anyway.
You can watch the DVD on the nice big screen and when you put the car in drive the video is overlayed with the Navi but the music still plays.
No discrete DTS, just PCM stream which is then multiplexed. Overall the sound is still very good. Put the Acura sound test DVD i got with my TL and it sounded quite good throughout all the tests.

The seats are 16 way adjustable on both sides and are amazingly comfortable. My wife is now excited about going on a trip!

The engine/tranny management is very smooth and no matter which driving mode I put it in, responds as expected. No hesitations or farts, it just gets up and goes. It feels faster and smoother than the TLX and I hate to say it, but handles much better than the TLX. It came with 18" ( love the wheels) Michelin MXM4 P235/45R18 tires.
On that big dip in the curve Ive talked about before the GS soaks it up without as much as a wiggle! Is it because the GX is biased towards RW drive while the TLX is opposite?

Overall impression is the GS was worth the extra $8k spent on it vs the TLX.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
Jmark (11-01-2014)
Old 03-27-2016 | 11:18 AM
5th Gear

2015 TLX SH-AWD vs 2013 GS-350 AWD

Drove a new TLX yesterday and a 2013 GS-350 base model. with my 16 yr old son. Absolutely no comparison! As a owner of a G2 RL with A-SPEC suspension I was extremely disappointed with the TLX, the interior materials were subpar and the driving experience was totally unexciting. The GS on the other hand was pure workmanship quality, handling was v-good and the engine strong. Do not believe Acura has anything to compete with the GS model at this time; which was very disappointing as I love my RL, it is just long in the tooth. Bet the F Sport will add more to the base experience.
Old 03-27-2016 | 12:08 PM
Banned

I don't understand why people keep comparing the TLX to a 18K more expensive GS. That's nonsense. The GS looks like an old man car, with a dated design right from the start. No way I would have chosen it over my Acura.
Old 03-27-2016 | 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjones2074
Drove a new TLX yesterday and a 2013 GS-350 base model. with my 16 yr old son. Absolutely no comparison!
Obviously agree...it is a silly comparison.

Originally Posted by Saintor
I don't understand why people keep comparing the TLX to a 18K more expensive GS. That's nonsense. The GS looks like an old man car, with a dated design right from the start. No way I would have chosen it over my Acura.

Too bad the "old man car" is the TLX (you got them reversed), especially the way it drives....
Old 03-27-2016 | 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Obviously agree...it is a silly comparison.

Too bad the "old man car" is the TLX (you got them reversed), especially the way it drives....
Says the residential Nissan's troll.
Old 03-27-2016 | 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Saintor
Says the residential Nissan's troll.
Nissan troll?? ahahaha

I understand that if you never drove anything higher than a TLX it may seems to you some sort of special "premium" car....
Monte TLS,MAX (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016 | 09:20 PM
Instructor

dude you really have no life. How many times a day you jerk off to nissan
a35tl (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016 | 09:36 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Nissan troll?? ahahaha

I understand that if you never drove anything higher than a TLX it may seems to you some sort of special "premium" car....
You don't even have a horse in this race. You already wasted your money on Nissan's biggest automotive blunder.
Old 03-27-2016 | 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kurtatx
You don't even have a horse in this race. You already wasted your money on Nissan's biggest automotive blunder.

...if you really read my post you will realize I do not care about Nissan (or any other brands)...at all...

The real troll is someone accusing the GS 350 (especially the F-Sport) of being "an old man car" because clearly he has no idea of what he's talking about...
Old 03-28-2016 | 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Wait, you're criticizing Saintor but aren't you the same person who compared your beloved 4GTL to a Porsche Panamera?

This thread is
Stew4HD (04-04-2016)
Old 03-28-2016 | 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

A Panamera?? LOL

Looks like our resident feathered friend has been seen, and heard quacking by enough members to be have been correctly ID'd.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
a35tl (03-28-2016), Stew4HD (04-04-2016)