Complete Redesign & Features

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017 | 08:38 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by iutodd
Not to be a dick about it but:

Link

I mean clearly the system worked - like people sat in it and used it. I think it's beyond "concept" phase at this point but I guess we're talking about semantics here more than anything. Maybe I am being a dick about it. Obviously that wasn't a full-interior. There were no HVAC controls for instance. But the core mechanism - the trackpad and necessary software - seemed to be working. That technology seemed to be in the "prototype" phase more so than the concept phase from my perspective.

And Acura has done fairly major work at MMCs - or even off MMC. The 2016 MDX got an entirely new drivetrain (new SHAWD and 9AT) and then got it's official MMC a year later - which also will see a Sport Hybrid coming - so over two model years the MDX has gained a whole new look, gotten a new drivetrain, and received an entirely new powertrain variant. The 2016 ILX got the 8DCT and the body got reworked to meet safety standards (and fit the K24/8DCT) - which isn't really minor work.

And you're probably right BTW. It is a leap of faith to assume that Acura will suddenly turn on the gas. I just think Acura has been working behind the scenes more than we know. The work on the MDX MMC started in 2014 for instance. I'm guessing the TLX MMC was not long after. And the Precision Concept debuted a whole new front graphic for the brand that we saw on a production model only 4 months later. Obviously this new look has been long discussed - I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the interior tech and design work has had a similar amount of behind the scenes work done on it. You can say - oh the seats and steering wheel are from the NSX so they clearly just threw it together....I would say that the NSX seats and steering wheel are both excellent (According to reviews) so don't we want them to inspire the next-generation of interiors?

I guess we will see what happens. A year ago none of us knew about either the Precision Concept or the Precision Cockpit. What will we know a year from now?
What do you mean 'clearly the system worked.' Clearly it was only graphics running on a few Android tablets bolted to a wooden mockup of a cockpit covered in faux leather. The graphics may have been interactive, but there is a lot of work between some graphics concepts and a car driving on the street predicting where a guy on a bike is going to go. Just look at how many thousands of hours of testing and actual operable test cars Tesla has put on the road to develop their systems. Those are prototypes.... Acura has nothing close to this. If they did they would have shown them. Instead they developed some cool looking graphics but there is not a lot a physics and hardware behind it. More like a video game. It does fool some though.