Center lighter socket replacement with USB

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Center lighter socket replacement with USB

I'm working on a mod that will mirror my iPhone to the upper dash and I've been shopping for parts that will help me keep the factory look.

My setup is pretty simple: Stereo to NaviTool video module w/composite in, hdmi to composite converter, and lightning to hdmi adapter. To avoid having the lightning end stick out through a crack of the dashboard I planned to pass it through the lighter socket in the center console but upon further thought I figured it would be nice if I could solder the adapter to a USB socket that could fit the place of the lighter socket.

So far I've found the likes of
this this
but upon reading reviews it's obvious the socket opening is larger than this device. Everyone seems to point to the Clarion usb socket, but that's been out of production now and I need to find a replacement. If anybody has any recommendations or alternative solutions I would appreciate it.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by baelim
I'm working on a mod that will mirror my iPhone to the upper dash and I've been shopping for parts that will help me keep the factory look.

My setup is pretty simple: Stereo to NaviTool video module w/composite in, hdmi to composite converter, and lightning to hdmi adapter. To avoid having the lightning end stick out through a crack of the dashboard I planned to pass it through the lighter socket in the center console but upon further thought I figured it would be nice if I could solder the adapter to a USB socket that could fit the place of the lighter socket.

So far I've found the likes of this but upon reading reviews it's obvious the socket opening is larger than this device. Everyone seems to point to the Clarion usb socket, but that's been out of production now and I need to find a replacement. If anybody has any recommendations or alternative solutions I would appreciate it.
Can't say I'm following what you are trying to do. But is this the USB socket you are looking for?

Clarion CCAUSBAV USB Extension Cable with 3.5mm Audio Video jack
Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Can't say I'm following what you are trying to do. But is this the USB socket you are looking for?

Clarion CCAUSBAV USB Extension Cable with 3.5mm Audio Video jack
Well basically that without the Aux in. I'm working on a mod that requires a USB plug for both power and data and I'm finding that the ones that do both are too small to replace the lighter socket. I've been told that the CCAUSB will be a closer fit so I've been scouting ebay but I keep thinking that this can't be the only solution out there. Hole drilling is not entirely out of the question but I suspect I'll be using that socket to power the internals of my mod anyways so it will come off not matter.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by baelim
Well basically that without the Aux in. I'm working on a mod that requires a USB plug for both power and data and I'm finding that the ones that do both are too small to replace the lighter socket. I've been told that the CCAUSB will be a closer fit so I've been scouting ebay but I keep thinking that this can't be the only solution out there. Hole drilling is not entirely out of the question but I suspect I'll be using that socket to power the internals of my mod anyways so it will come off not matter.
You need too search on Panel Mount USB Connector.. you might find some ideas there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pane...ector&imgdii=_