Capless fuel filler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Capless fuel filler

A minor problem I encounter with the capless system is that it doesn't open to allow the gas pump nozzle in sometimes. It happens if the tip of the nozzle is slightly distorted or not in perfect condition. I've had this happen several times at random gas stations. In the end, I have to go to another pump and find a nozzle that has a perfect circular endpoint. Is there anyway to get the fuel cap open another way?

Anyone else experience this issue? It's annoying!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have not personally had this problem, but I remember when I was first looking to purchase a TLX that someone had mentioned Ford was also using a capless fueling system. If you google and look for info on the ford focus capless filling, you can see that several people complain about random no-name gas stations having weird sized nozzles that do not fit properly into the filler neck and do not hit the release tabs to open up it up. Seems like the best universal advice is don't go to random gas stations and stick with big names like Shell, Chevron, Costco when dealing with a system such as this. In the Ford forum, several people also report that they have had the nozzle of the pump at the gas station fall off inside of the gas tank. Here's a couple links just for an example. Hopefully someone else on this forum can provide more useful insight/advice

Capless fuel filler WARNING!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Capless Fuel Frustration

If you continue to go to those gas stations, the only other option I know of how to get the filler neck open is to use the attachment that is provided in the trunk of the car. This attachment is provided if you ever run out of gas, you can use it to open the filler neck and pour in gas using a portable gas container. If you use it at the pump, I'm sure you'll end up getting gas on your hands or spilling it all over.

Last edited by h_dawg; 07-09-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nomad346
A minor problem I encounter with the capless system is that it doesn't open to allow the gas pump nozzle in sometimes. It happens if the tip of the nozzle is slightly distorted or not in perfect condition. I've had this happen several times at random gas stations. In the end, I have to go to another pump and find a nozzle that has a perfect circular endpoint. Is there anyway to get the fuel cap open another way?

Anyone else experience this issue? It's annoying!
Had it happen one time at two different pumps at same station. Not since. There is a black plastic emergency fill adapter in the compartment under the bottom panel of the trunk. I used it to free up the stuck door in the fuel fill. I guess the adapter is meant for adding fuel additives, or fuel from a gas can if you run out.
The following users liked this post:
Nomad346 (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I see the OP is in Canada. In the U. S, all pump nozzles are required to be a certain size - one size for unleaded gasoline, another larger one for leaded (not seen very often any more), and a larger one for diesel - so they don't get mixed up easily. A nozzle for leaded or for diesel won't fit in our unleaded cars.

Canada may be different, but I've never had a problem with nozzles here in the States.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I see the OP is in Canada. In the U. S, all pump nozzles are required to be a certain size - one size for unleaded gasoline, another larger one for leaded (not seen very often any more), and a larger one for diesel - so they don't get mixed up easily. A nozzle for leaded or for diesel won't fit in our unleaded cars.

Canada may be different, but I've never had a problem with nozzles here in the States.

I started a thread about this when I first got my TLX in October.

If nozzles are supposed to be a standard size then my gas station isn't following that regulation. The nozzles at two of their pumps don't fit my tank, but the nozzles at the rest of their pumps do. This is the only gas station where I've encountered this problem so far.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
I've only had my TLX for a week and went to fill up for the first time this morning.
I'm in NJ so there is no self-service.

The attendant couldn't get the nozzle into the filler despite multiple attempts.
I tried it and couldn't do it either.

I got the funnel out of the trunk and it slipped in easily.
The gas pump nozzle finally opened up the filler after 6 or 7 more tries and the attendant was able to fill the tank.

I found it kind of frightening because it was the first fill-up and I thought the part was defective.

fwiw, this is a large Exxon station, not a little off-brand independent.

I'll be sure to go to a different pump next time.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Nozzles are required to be a specific size - It's the same in US and Canada. The problem may be due to bend or out-of-spec nozzles.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Yes, I had some issues also. I have a gas station on my way home that I use often and it happens me twice to same gas pump to not work. It's fine on the others , therefore now I avoid that pump.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
No issues, but don't like the capless filler at all. I find that many times when the tank is full and it trips the pump off a few drops spill outside the filler neck. Give me the old style cap any day.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:10 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I think the capless filler is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

When I encounter an old-timey filler with a separate cap, it's a nuisance ... you have to either find the little cradle to hook it in or otherwise it flops down against the side of your car. And even if you do cradle it, it often gets bumped and bangs against the side of the car anyway.

Then you have to retrieve it and screw it in. No, not a huge effort required, but why do it if you don't have to?

I love me some capless filler!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the capless filler and haven't had any problems with it. The salesman didn't mention it when he was showing me the car's features, so the first time I went to fill it up, I thought that somehow the gas cap had been lost.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Had this happen to me the first 3 or 4 tanks. I had to put the filler in, and rotate it around the opening before it would pop in.

After the first few times however, I guess the mechanism loosened up a bit, and it hasn't been an issue since.
The following users liked this post:
catbert430 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Thanks, Mr Hyde.
That's both useful and comforting information.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel fill adaptor in the trunk!

Originally Posted by tjwgrr
Had it happen one time at two different pumps at same station. Not since. There is a black plastic emergency fill adapter in the compartment under the bottom panel of the trunk. I used it to free up the stuck door in the fuel fill. I guess the adapter is meant for adding fuel additives, or fuel from a gas can if you run out.
Thanks for writing this 9 years ago! I was trying to fill my 2018 TLX with a gas container and nothing would open the filler door, tried a funnel, thought those two flaps at the top had something to do with it, nothing worked. Then I checked the threads and found this. Thanks Acura community, 9 years later.