The BIG recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 10:19 PM
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The BIG recall

does anybody else have a car that sounds like a helicopter or a roaring noise when it accelerates under load ?

my 2018 TLX SHAWD has gone from sounding like a helicopter or a dull roar... to an actual slight knocking sound over the course of a week or so.

here we go boys! I spoke to a guy at Honda today and he said that Acura is still working on the packages for the recall repair.. hopefully we see these within a month or so.. my car's issues are developing very quickly day by day, so honestly id be surprised if it will even make it until the packages are ready. Cheers to Con rods flying through the side of the block on the highway boys ! 🍻

let me know if you guys are experiencing the same issues. Like I said mine sounds like a roaring/purring noise when you accelerate under load. Now its turned into a slight knocking noise, its getting significantly worse day by day.

only 58K KM on it too!
Old 11-13-2023, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I can say that I experienced it twice under warranty. The first time, the bearing on cylinder 2 failed and took out a rod, so yeah you could end up stuck along side a road somewhere, best to make sure you have roadside assistance/tow coverage. The second time I heard a low engine knock and had it towed to the dealership before it could get any worse. Both engines were replaced under warranty.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Just a heads up. I spoke to my service rep today to check on whether the timing belt was replaced with either of my engine replacements and, to our surprise, it was not. Apparently, Acura does not recommend and will not cover replacing belts for such a repair. If your vehicle is near the timing belt service and needs work done as part of this recall, I would recommend discussing having that work done while it's in for the repair as it most likely will save you some on labor vs. doing it later.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:07 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
First start after an oil change it made a nasty sound for a second or two, then nothing, I wonder if that’s normal ?

Any case, here is a video from 9 months ago that the fellow recorded the sound when revving

Old 11-18-2023, 07:03 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I saw the news of this recall on Honda V6s and logged into AZ after almost two full years of pure satisfaction with my Accord to say the 1st Gen TLX for many owners was an absolute disaster. It wasn’t the performance car it was promised to be. It wasn’t luxurious. It wasn’t competitive with Lexus or Euros. It wasn’t reliable. In fact, its was the opposite, with its TSBs, vibrations, god awful ZF9, water pumps, fuel pumps, VCM misfires, and whatever else was wrong with it. The V6 TLX was an abomination to Honda vehicles. If it weren’t for the decent looking Integras I see on the road available with stick shift, I would say the V6 TLX should have been the death knell of this brand. Hundreds of AZ users are no longer here thanks to this one car. And now some of their engines have to be replaced. What a joke and disaster. I legit feel bad for owners who are dealing with this stuff.

Last edited by someguy11; 11-18-2023 at 07:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
ESHBG (11-19-2023), Tonyware (11-20-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 12:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by westcoast
does anybody else have a car that sounds like a helicopter or a roaring noise when it accelerates under load ?

my 2018 TLX SHAWD has gone from sounding like a helicopter or a dull roar... to an actual slight knocking sound over the course of a week or so.

here we go boys! I spoke to a guy at Honda today and he said that Acura is still working on the packages for the recall repair.. hopefully we see these within a month or so.. my car's issues are developing very quickly day by day, so honestly id be surprised if it will even make it until the packages are ready. Cheers to Con rods flying through the side of the block on the highway boys ! 🍻

let me know if you guys are experiencing the same issues. Like I said mine sounds like a roaring/purring noise when you accelerate under load. Now its turned into a slight knocking noise, its getting significantly worse day by day.

only 58K KM on it too!

I dropped off my 2019 FWD 3.5 at the dealer last week because of an increasing horrible sound on light acceleration from a standstill, if im on a hill its even worse so its load related. Im in a 2023 Aspec loaner for the time being. Also I found tiny specs of copper colored pieces in my last oil change... like a dusting of it.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:02 AM
10th Gear

I guess car forums are mostly dead anymore.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:45 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I saw the news of this recall on Honda V6s and logged into AZ after almost two full years of pure satisfaction with my Accord to say the 1st Gen TLX for many owners was an absolute disaster. It wasn’t the performance car it was promised to be. It wasn’t luxurious. It wasn’t competitive with Lexus or Euros. It wasn’t reliable. In fact, its was the opposite, with its TSBs, vibrations, god awful ZF9, water pumps, fuel pumps, VCM misfires, and whatever else was wrong with it. The V6 TLX was an abomination to Honda vehicles. If it weren’t for the decent looking Integras I see on the road available with stick shift, I would say the V6 TLX should have been the death knell of this brand. Hundreds of AZ users are no longer here thanks to this one car. And now some of their engines have to be replaced. What a joke and disaster. I legit feel bad for owners who are dealing with this stuff.
Sure glad I didn't step in one of these!

All along I had been steering clear of the TLX's sheer ugliness, but now recently was curious about the last of the V6's. Maybe I'll have another look at the TSX V6? Accord coupe V6?
Old 12-14-2023, 05:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Tosh
Sure glad I didn't step in one of these!

All along I had been steering clear of the TLX's sheer ugliness, but now recently was curious about the last of the V6's. Maybe I'll have another look at the TSX V6? Accord coupe V6?
These cars are anything but ugly and this is an extremely small percentage affected. Most importantly Acura is fixing the ones that were affected.
The following users liked this post:
Vincethetypesguy (01-03-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I saw the news of this recall on Honda V6s and logged into AZ after almost two full years of pure satisfaction with my Accord to say the 1st Gen TLX for many owners was an absolute disaster. It wasn’t the performance car it was promised to be. It wasn’t luxurious. It wasn’t competitive with Lexus or Euros. It wasn’t reliable. In fact, its was the opposite, with its TSBs, vibrations, god awful ZF9, water pumps, fuel pumps, VCM misfires, and whatever else was wrong with it. The V6 TLX was an abomination to Honda vehicles. If it weren’t for the decent looking Integras I see on the road available with stick shift, I would say the V6 TLX should have been the death knell of this brand.
The base tlx was never appealing to me. But, I do like my aspec. I never plan to sell it.

Also think its so funny that people are in a panic over rod bearings. I build / rebuild motors and do motor swaps all the time. So, if sheeple will be flooding the market with late model TLXs, the chance to pick up another aspec relatively cheap is good.

I have an idea for a conversion that should be pretty interesting.

btw, new integras. ewww
Just a rebadged civic with no option for a classic 3 door hatch.
Robs2019TLX (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tosh
... recently was curious about the last of the V6's. Maybe I'll have another look at the TSX V6? Accord coupe V6?
TSX V6 seems bloated to me and no 6spds avail.
Accord coupe V6, 6spd. Yep got two of those.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 619rcr
btw, new integras. ewww
Just a rebadged civic with no option for a classic 3 door hatch.
My wife has an Integra as a loaner right now—her RSX Type-S is in the shop unexpectedly to replace the clutch's master and slave cylinders and they gave her an Integra to drive. When she got home yesterday she said she likes it quite a bit, but then she hasn't been in a current-generation Civic to compare it. I didn't get a good look inside the Integra because it was too dark outside to see anything. Maybe if her RSX isn't ready until tomorrow I can go along when she picks it up so that I can see what I think. Aside from the hatchback/sedan issue, the biggest difference will be that the Integra is an automatic (understandable for loaner cars) whereas her RSX is a 6MT.

Regarding the TLX generally, our 2015 TLX SH-AWD is hers as well and we both quite like it. I prefer my 2004 TL with the 6MT for various reasons, but there's no denying that the TLX is an absolutely fantastic roadtrip car, terrific for long-distance travel. It even does well on the gas—we've driven home from Broward County, Florida, to Northern Virginia and only had to fill the gas tank one time in South Carolina. We probably could have made it further than we did except that it was getting dark and I didn't want to push it too far. I think, like so many other things, that on a forum like this we tend to see more negative comments because the people who are experiencing problems are often the most motivated to complain, but those negative comments are not necessarily indicative of the prevailing experience.

Last edited by 1995hoo; 12-15-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: forgot one comment
finebead (12-18-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
My wife has an Integra as a loaner right now—her RSX Type-S is in the shop unexpectedly to replace the clutch's master and slave cylinders and they gave her an Integra to drive. When she got home yesterday she said she likes it quite a bit, but then she hasn't been in a current-generation Civic to compare it. I didn't get a good look inside the Integra because it was too dark outside to see anything. Maybe if her RSX isn't ready until tomorrow I can go along when she picks it up so that I can see what I think. Aside from the hatchback/sedan issue, the biggest difference will be that the Integra is an automatic (understandable for loaner cars) whereas her RSX is a 6MT.

Regarding the TLX generally, our 2015 TLX SH-AWD is hers as well and we both quite like it. I prefer my 2004 TL with the 6MT for various reasons, but there's no denying that the TLX is an absolutely fantastic roadtrip car, terrific for long-distance travel. It even does well on the gas—we've driven home from Broward County, Florida, to Northern Virginia and only had to fill the gas tank one time in South Carolina. We probably could have made it further than we did except that it was getting dark and I didn't want to push it too far.
I would agree that the TLX v6 has been great on road trips for comfort and gas mileage. Had a 3G TL type S 6spd prior to the TLX, which was sold private sale toward the TLX purchase. I recall the 3G mileage being roughly 23mpg. The TLX is regularly in the mid 30s.

I generally don't like autos and will admit the TLX is more for the wife than myself. As for newer gen hondas/acuras I really don't like sedans for daily use, and although they make sense for families or those who only have 1 vehicle, I favor manual transmission coupes. In fact I'm building a H23 dohc del sol and J35 prelude right now. Don't even get me started on the new prelude.

Last edited by 619rcr; 12-15-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

I miss my 2019 TLX 3.5 FWD pretty badly right now.. This 23 aspec loaner is nice but I prefer my other car to this one as this thing guzzles gas even driving it economically. My TLX 3.5 was getting 28-29MPG city and I hit 39MPG on the highway going to the beach last summer. This thing can barely break 25MPG on the hwy ugh.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:45 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo

Regarding the TLX generally, our 2015 TLX SH-AWD is hers as well and we both quite like it. I prefer my 2004 TL with the 6MT for various reasons, but there's no denying that the TLX is an absolutely fantastic roadtrip car, terrific for long-distance travel. It even does well on the gas—we've driven home from Broward County, Florida, to Northern Virginia and only had to fill the gas tank one time in South Carolina. We probably could have made it further than we did except that it was getting dark and I didn't want to push it too far. I think, like so many other things, that on a forum like this we tend to see more negative comments because the people who are experiencing problems are often the most motivated to complain, but those negative comments are not necessarily indicative of the prevailing experience.
Replying to myself because the forum imposes a time limit on edits. I rode in the Integra loaner car (my wife driving) on Saturday when we returned it. Nice little car on the whole. I liked that it has a traditional shift lever instead of the pushbuttons the TLX has (though that threw my wife off at one point—we stopped at a friend's house to drop something off and my wife went to hit the button to shift into reverse). I also liked that it has more tactile buttons and knobs than the TLX because I find real buttons, as opposed to a touchscreen, easier to use without having to look away from the road. I found the front passenger seat to be a little narrow for my taste, however—the leg bolsters on either side felt confining and made the seat feel narrow compared to the TL or the TLX. Maybe it just means I'm fat.

I have not been in a current-generation Civic to compare the two. No question the TLX is the nicer car overall, of course. The Integra and the TLX are targeted at very different customers.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1995hoo:
ESHBG (12-18-2023), Jim2301 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Also important to note that some of the 2016-2018 MDX and 2015-2019 Acura TLX V6 vehicles have a Fuel Pump Control Failure Safety Recall that requires a software update to remedy. There are also these recalls out there:

2019-20 TLX 2WD Fuel Pump Motor Safety Recall Expansion

2019-20 TLX SH-AWD Fuel Pump Motor Safety Recall Expansion

Last edited by ESHBG; 12-19-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
What is the latest on the recall? I was just at my dealer in Northern Virginia, and they still don't have a process in place to deal with. Any timeline on when to expect it?
Old 01-02-2024, 06:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robs2019TLX
I miss my 2019 TLX 3.5 FWD pretty badly right now.. This 23 aspec loaner is nice but I prefer my other car to this one as this thing guzzles gas even driving it economically. My TLX 3.5 was getting 28-29MPG city and I hit 39MPG on the highway going to the beach last summer. This thing can barely break 25MPG on the hwy ugh.
That is interesting. Can't understand how Acura didn't focus on that for at least the base model and Aspec. I have an 18 Aspec and was looking into the 24 aspec but worried about MPG's.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:59 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
Good luck all, saw the news and thought I'd pop in to see what everyone's thoughts were. Us 4G TL 3.7L owners had to deal with a big piston ring/oil consumption issue a few years back. Took Acura 9 months to get the parts/time to do my car and by then the engine was trashed and ended up being replaced under the 8yr/200k km warranty extension (and like this situation, I had to pay extra for the timing belt/water pump replacement).
Old 01-18-2024, 09:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevenpsu
What is the latest on the recall? I was just at my dealer in Northern Virginia, and they still don't have a process in place to deal with. Any timeline on when to expect it?
Got my pre-emptive warning letter recently. The gist is that parts are currently not available, but estimated to be avail in spring.

No surprises there, being that the crankshaft is discontinued / sold out. lol

Last edited by 619rcr; 01-18-2024 at 09:16 PM.
finebead (01-22-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:44 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
19 TLX 2.4 owners here reporting on my fuel pump recall. my carfax app notified me that there's now a remedy and I could make an appt with a dealership.

dealership website found the recall for my vin and I have an appt at the end of this month.
ESHBG (01-20-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2015 3.5 TLX at 280K miles without issue, other than dings and dents.
I would love to be able to replace my timing belt/waterpump and get a free engine.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jamf
I have a 2015 3.5 TLX at 280K miles without issue, other than dings and dents.
I would love to be able to replace my timing belt/waterpump and get a free engine.
Wow, 280K miles with no transmission or engine problems, that's great.

When was your last timing belt service? How often do you change the Trans fluid? Do you service the vehicle when prompted by the maintenance minder?
Old 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Advanced

What is the status of the recall? I thought I would have heard something by now.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:52 AM
3rd Gear

I took my TLX 2016 to a dealer. They dropped the oil pan and examined the rod. Acura approved the replacement of the rod. The engine was fine. It took them a day or two to complete the job.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NormanTLX
I took my TLX 2016 to a dealer. They dropped the oil pan and examined the rod. Acura approved the replacement of the rod. The engine was fine. It took them a day or two to complete the job.
Interesting. I just contacted my dealer and they said they don't have any instructions or the procedure to do it yet. They said maybe next month. I am about due for an oil change. Is oil service included in the check?
Old 03-08-2024, 10:29 AM
Instructor

I find that extremely hard to believe! Check with some of the other dealers in the DMV, I'd bet they're not be on-level with you for one reason or another.

My guess is that they have affected TLX's on their lot which can't be sold due to the stop sale and can't be serviced for this recall until after customer vehicles have been serviced.

Last edited by 18TLXAspec; 03-08-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec
I find that extremely hard to believe! Check with some of the other dealers in the DMV, I'd bet they're not be on-level with you for one reason or another.

My guess is that they have affected TLX's on their lot which can't be sold due to the stop sale and can't be serviced for this recall until after customer vehicles have been serviced.
Haha you were right. I called another dealership in the Dmv and they had one kit left. I was able to snag it and the car is currently in the shop now. Can't ever trust a "stealership".
Old 03-10-2024, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec

My dealer said it was the other way around that they had to first service the vehicles on their lot under stop sale before they got to customers.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:03 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
Acura says to prioritize cars making noise until parts are more plentiful. I'm sure dealers will pretend all the cars on their lot under stop-sale are "making noise" so they can sell them.

If I had an impacted car that was quiet, I'd wait a few months before going in. The TSB is pretty involved, and it would be good to have techs get experience with dozens of other cars before touching mine.

Luckily I only have 3.0 J series and 2.0 K series, so none of my Acuras are impacted. The bad cranks were only on the 3.5 J series.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:17 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by stevenpsu
Interesting. I just contacted my dealer and they said they don't have any instructions or the procedure to do it yet. They said maybe next month. I am about due for an oil change. Is oil service included in the check?
The dealer changed my oil for free since they had to drain it for the fix.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NormanTLX
The dealer changed my oil for free since they had to drain it for the fix.
Still waiting my car has the sound and only gets worse. Should I just call all area dealerships to see if they have parts? Also, I have not gotten a 2nd letter. For those that got the repair done, did you get a 2nd letter?
Old 03-17-2024, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by smo1a
Still waiting my car has the sound and only gets worse. Should I just call all area dealerships to see if they have parts? Also, I have not gotten a 2nd letter. For those that got the repair done, did you get a 2nd letter?
I did not receive a 2nd letter. I happen to call another dealership in my area and they had the parts and the tech said if I got there first, they could do the repair as it's on a first come, first serve basis. I would call a dealership in your area and ask them about it. The one dealership said they didn't have the parts or instructions to do it, yet another one had the parts and are taking customers. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear

Brought the car in Tuesday for a loaner. The shop tech dove in and was able to order a new long block. Arrived next morning and I'm now back in my car! Basically a complete new engine with all new internals. I will do a 600 mile break in to be safe. Any recommended time to change oil other than standard intervals?
Old 03-23-2024, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Any recommended time to change oil other than standard intervals?
Suggest 3k to 5k.

Been doing 3k intervals on mine since purchased with just under 50k about 2yrs ago. Sitting around 66k now with no rod knock so far.

The car was in the list of suspects, but i'm thinking about not even taking it in. Reason being, I really dispise dealers.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

Suggest 3k to 5k.

Been doing 3k intervals on mine since purchased with just under 50k about 2yrs ago. Sitting around 66k now with no rod knock so far.

The car was in the list of suspects, but i'm thinking about not even taking it in. Reason being, I really dispise dealers.
Timely oil changes are important but they wont save you from a defect with the crankshaft.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robs2019TLX:
18TLXAspec (03-26-2024), ogiewon (05-11-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:45 AM
10th Gear

Brought the car in Tuesday for a loaner. The shop tech dove in and was able to order a new long block. Arrived next morning and I'm now back in my car! Basically a complete new engine with all new internals. I will do a 600 mile break in to be safe. Any recommended time to change oil other than standard intervals?
The dealer will tell you there is no break in period blah blah blah but dont buy it. I would do that first oil change probably at 1k miles.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:20 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I've been keeping an eye out for a used TLX V6. Like 2015-2017ish. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but does this recall make it a bad idea to get one, at this time? Or is it a non-issue, since I could buy one and take it right to a dealer for the recall?
Old 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robs2019TLX
Timely oil changes are important but they wont save you from a defect with the crankshaft.
Wow, really. Who would've guessed that.

So a material defect takes over 70k miles to show up? Or could it be that oem bearings are junk and oil is the only thing keeping them from deteriorating prematurely.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Wow, really. Who would've guessed that.

So a material defect takes over 70k miles to show up? Or could it be that oem bearings are junk and oil is the only thing keeping them from deteriorating prematurely.
I've heard of TLX's not developing a knock until ~101k miles (https://www.tlxforums.com/threads/ro...4/#post-336330), so quality oil with low mileage change intervals will only prolong the inevitable. I guess you've had bad experiences at dealerships, which is unfortunate, but not taking it in to be looked at is likely to bite you in the @ss later. Since yours has not developed the knock, it may not be as significant of a repair as others who've had their TLX develop the knock.

Quick Reply: The BIG recall