Best AWD system in the market!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019 | 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think Acura missed an excellent opportunity with the 2.4L TLX by not adding the hybrid tech to that. It is a $3500 upgrade on the MDX compared to the fwd version ($1500 upgrade over the sh-awd MDX). The hybrid tech could have added 50-60 hp/tq to the 2.4L AND get +33 mpgs combined AND have the most sophisticated "bang for the buck" awd system on the market. The 2.4L TLX hybrid would have around 260-270 hp and 230-250 tq depending on how the hp/tq power curve lines up with 2.4L engine+3 electric motors. I love having the power and handling abilities close to the 3.5L sh-awd; but, the combined mpgs of the 2.4L engine with my MDX sport hybrid.
I imagine it's much more challenging to figure out how to package all those extra batteries into the TLX than the MDX. Keep in mind that the TLX is also built on the previous-generation Accord platform, so I imagine they aren't going to be investing much resources into modifying an outgoing (outdated?) chassis.
Old 11-07-2019 | 03:07 PM
There are four lights!

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I'm still not 100% comfortable pushing the gas pedal in a curve for SH-AWD to do it's thing. It's so counter intuitive. Even in the dry. It feels like it's about to give and lose traction. Although haven't come close to what feels like exceeding it yet.
You don't have to give it much throttle to see SH-AWD do its thing. Before I come into a curve, I downshift three times, gently brake if you feel you're coming in too hot, and before the start of the curve, give it light but consistent throttle. At the end of the curve, you can start punching it a bit more.
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (11-11-2019)
Old 11-07-2019 | 06:27 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

1) I’m not sure why this zombie thread was resurrected.

2) Back when I was a Subaru snob driving my 2008 WRX, then my 2008 Legacy 2.5i stick shift, while my wife drove our 2006 Tribeca, this video was being passed around Subie forums showing how “superior” their system was to everyone else.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzK-oRPCbs
It’s good, real testing and visible results dumbed down to layman terms. It’s interesting. I just watched it for the first time in probably eight years. I know the vehicles in this video are eleven years old now, but I guess I thought the same thing tonight as I did eight years ago: Honda Realtime 4WD and Toyota Highlander 4WD systems were farces back then.

3) I think anyone who wants an answer to the OP question can find more than enough testing, opinions, professional reviews and videos online. Go to a specific manufacturer forum and they will all say that manufacturer is superior to others. As an honest, neutral forum member, I can say you will probably find the consensus is:
First place) quattro. I mean, Audi released the system in 1980 and has been perfecting it ever since. The quattro Wikipedia site is a great read, loaded with technology, some of which is over my head. I think Audi has enough rally and road circuit wins that they earned this spot. I’ll admit that my A4 2.8 V6 stick shift blasted through drifts and climbed inclines that put 4WD trucks in the ditch. I also found its TC unintrusive. That car was a rock star as far as traction goes.
Second place) Subaru. Subie snobs brag that their symmetrical system is totally balanced and free of torque steer, which are true, but Subie snobs are nevertheless ultra annoying when they talk about AWD. However, I never, ever felt at risk when in our Tribeca in the middle of the worst Wisconsin blizzards you can imagine. Our Subies powered through anything and everything.
Third place) SH-AWD. It may as well be second place as far as I’m concerned. Actually it should be. I swear I could feel the system working and pushing my through corners as the MID indicated. SH-AWD was a great part of my TLX, vibration notwithstanding.
The rest) (as in xDrive, 4matic and 4motion): I’m not sure if 4motion is different than quattro. Whatever. The first three above are solidly the podium finishers. The other Euros probably have fine systems that come in behind those.
The rest) (as in a Toyota/Lexus, Mitsubishi, Americans and other “dumb” systems): well, I drive a Lexus, and it’s about as bland as AWD gets. Good tires, yet can’t feel anything dynamic about it. It goes over wet stop lines and through a little snow, but I can feel it’s not active and my TC cannot be disabled, so drifting and donuts have been a challenge. It’s totally neutered despite being RWD bias. I don’t think you will find anyone writing home about their “amazing” Charger, Highlander or Equinox AWD system. Put any of these inactive systems through the test in the video above and I’m sure they would fail. They’re probably poseur systems.

Last edited by someguy11; 11-07-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2019 | 02:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
I'm still not 100% comfortable pushing the gas pedal in a curve for SH-AWD to do it's thing. It's so counter intuitive. Even in the dry. It feels like it's about to give and lose traction. Although haven't come close to what feels like exceeding it yet.
That's the crappy tires. Put something like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on there and it is like it is on rails. I can rip through tight curves on it accelerating all the way.
The following users liked this post:
Speed_Racer (11-16-2019)