Avoid using Economy mode, ESPECIALLY in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
There is no doubt that the TLX can score high MPG on long highway drives where the average speed is high.

However, Acura has never really addressed city MPG. The cars simply suck in the city which masks the exceptional performance on the highway.

Perhaps this will be addressed when new CAFF laws are imposed in 2017.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I have a V6. My daily commute is pretty much city driving with some high speed sections. I'm normally in Normal mode, but I did one tank in Sport and didn't notice any difference in mileage measured directly, not via the car computer. If I'm on a long highway drive I switch to Econ thinking I might get better mileage but I've not done any actual measurement. Driving even at 70 mph I get high 30 mpg as reflected in the cars computer.
You seem to take the same trips I do. Don't bother with ECON on your everyday commute. Put it in Normal or Sport and enjoy the drive. I leave mine in Sport and I don't see any meaningful consistent difference among the 3 in my daily 60 mile round-trip drive in stop and go and some 70 mph traffic. I average about 30 mph or so in my weekly work drive and probably get around 27-29 mpg.

On long distance drives I usually leave it in ECON mode, but I doubt that makes much difference on high speed drives. On my next road trip I'll probably leave it in Sport mode. The sweet spot for great mileage on long road trips is probably by keeping it around 65 mph, but on Texas highways, you may get shot driving that slowly. Once you start driving around 75-80 mph, mileage starts dropping appreciably. "Unfortunately" most of where I drive around Texas are going to have posted speeds of 70-75 mph, so going 65 even in the right lane could get you run over. lol.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
There is no doubt that the TLX can score high MPG on long highway drives where the average speed is high.

However, Acura has never really addressed city MPG. The cars simply suck in the city which masks the exceptional performance on the highway.

Perhaps this will be addressed when new CAFF laws are imposed in 2017.
I regularly get 21-27 MPG in the city. The only time I've ever gotten lower (19 MPG) was driving aggressively in Sport+. It isn't great in stop and go traffic, but that's a rare situation for me. The only way to improve that is to offer a hybrid model. Hybrids excel in that situation.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
You seem to take the same trips I do. Don't bother with ECON on your everyday commute. Put it in Normal or Sport and enjoy the drive. I leave mine in Sport and I don't see any meaningful consistent difference among the 3 in my daily 60 mile round-trip drive in stop and go and some 70 mph traffic. I average about 30 mph or so in my weekly work drive and probably get around 27-29 mpg.

On long distance drives I usually leave it in ECON mode, but I doubt that makes much difference on high speed drives. On my next road trip I'll probably leave it in Sport mode. The sweet spot for great mileage on long road trips is probably by keeping it around 65 mph, but on Texas highways, you may get shot driving that slowly. Once you start driving around 75-80 mph, mileage starts dropping appreciably. "Unfortunately" most of where I drive around Texas are going to have posted speeds of 70-75 mph, so going 65 even in the right lane could get you run over. lol.
Averaging 85-90 mph, I've gotten about 30MPG on the highway, so it's not terrible .
Old 05-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
46 mpg? Even with the 4 cyl that seems a bit hard to believe.
I'm wondering if that's Imperial gallons, 5/4 (roughly) as big as the U.S. gallon. This might be a Canadian car. My b.i.l. gives me impressive mileage numbers for his Equinox until I remember he still calcs his mileage in Imperial gallons even though fuel is sold in liters (litres).

My highest in a 4-cyl. was 40 mpg but reliably get 37 to 39 on long hauls in Sport mode. Econ mode is downright frustrating in hilly country and my wife uses Normal "just because".
Old 05-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
I'm wondering if that's Imperial gallons, 5/4 (roughly) as big as the U.S. gallon. This might be a Canadian car. My b.i.l. gives me impressive mileage numbers for his Equinox until I remember he still calcs his mileage in Imperial gallons even though fuel is sold in liters (litres).

My highest in a 4-cyl. was 40 mpg but reliably get 37 to 39 on long hauls in Sport mode. Econ mode is downright frustrating in hilly country and my wife uses Normal "just because".
US car, I posted pics. I have been getting 30-32 lately in some pretty heavy traffic mixed driving. Weekends are more 38-44 mpg. I do drive like an old man 2k rpm and lower lol.
The following users liked this post:
CanTex (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Excellent mileage! Me, I drive it like it needs to be driven (or so it "tells" me) so 39 for me is plenty satisfying. No econo runs for me. And I'm "old" and should know better.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:25 PM
2015 TLX V6 Tech

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My default mode is Normal, and I get about 25 MPG in town if I don't get trapped sitting in traffic. If I need to scoot, or for occasional fun, I got to Sport mode and enjoy it for a while. For interstate driving on cruise control I go to Economy mode, don't need pickup out there, and I get 40 MPG on cruise control at 70 MPH.

I have a V6 Tech 2015, and I love it.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Driving style is more important than Mode when it comes to fuel efficiency, but the two are linked by how aggressive you are on the throttle. Or in over words, drive in Econ Mode + little throttle pressure equals better fuel efficiency. Drive aggressively in Econ, not so much.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by youngTL
I regularly get 21-27 MPG in the city. The only time I've ever gotten lower (19 MPG) was driving aggressively in Sport+. It isn't great in stop and go traffic, but that's a rare situation for me. The only way to improve that is to offer a hybrid model. Hybrids excel in that situation.
I can take a short drive and see 16 to 20.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Macau Park
US car, I posted pics. I have been getting 30-32 lately in some pretty heavy traffic mixed driving. Weekends are more 38-44 mpg. I do drive like an old man 2k rpm and lower lol.
The truth of your perception is in the average speed. Post that cause, I suspect you are heavy on the highway speeds.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Driving style is more important than Mode when it comes to fuel efficiency, but the two are linked by how aggressive you are on the throttle. Or in over words, drive in Econ Mode + little throttle pressure equals better fuel efficiency. Drive aggressively in Econ, not so much.
This is also very true.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up a CPO '15 TLX V6 Advance (FWD) with ~7k miles. Replaced a 2008 TSX 6MT. That car was awesome on the twisty roads but in Austin traffic was much less fun. Replaced clutch at 62k miles and was not happy to do so but it was toast. City fuel economy on the 2.4L I4 was not great - 21 or 22 at best. We'll see how the V6 does, but not expecting great things.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I got better mileage in Eco but it was definitely the jerkiest of modes.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 AM
2015 TLX V6 Tech

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by finebead
My default mode is Normal, and I get about 25 MPG in town if I don't get trapped sitting in traffic. If I need to scoot, or for occasional fun, I got to Sport mode and enjoy it for a while. For interstate driving on cruise control I go to Economy mode, don't need pickup out there, and I get 40 MPG on cruise control at 70 MPH.

I have a V6 Tech 2015, and I love it.
Update: I would switch the IDS to Sport mode when I needed a little extra zip, and didn't notice any drop in city mileage. I finally just changed my default mode to Sport, and I'm very happy this way. Many posts in this topic influenced me, thanks to the posters! I switch to Econ mode when on long interstate stretches, such as my recent trip to Florida when I got at least 40 MPG on the interstate. I still love my TLX!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Personal opinion regardless of make, we have a few cars with ZF8's & one had a 7DCT. Econ is useful for steady state cruising at over 2K RPM on the interstate & not much else. I drive all the automatics in Sport most of the time & still get good mileage for the type of car I am driving. 60-70 mph on the highway I go to Comfort & over 70mph Econ.

"Spirited" gets Sport+ & Traction OFF. I never take off the stability system on the street.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-22-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Wait, people drive with two feet (that's not a 6MT)??? I was taught at a young age to never do that.
Left foot braking is a technique used in auto racing, but it's not something for the street. Someone I know who drove like that needed a brake job once a year. Fortunately, her husband was a mechanic.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Was forced to drive on the FDR during rush hour last week. Eco mode, and brake hold were the only things that kept me sane. I'm a tad impatient, and in heavy traffic, using eco keeps my impatient driving less herky/jerky from the constant braking/accelerating. At all other times, its Sport for me for both the throttle response, and the heavier steering weight.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by newlybird17
So I've been back driving my 2015 TLX 4 Liter for several weeks now

blablabla

The other thing I learned that makes some sense is that you should NOT drive with two feet, right on gas, left on break, which some people are inclined to do in TRAFFIC. That also "confuses the computer".

blablabla
Are you simply trolling or do you really drive an automatic with 2 feet? I mean, that would be something ... I just imagine a brain fart of braking and accelerating at the same time!!! What you read sometimes in the internet is incredible!!!

wait... did you also say 4 liters? I didn't know that Acura had those. How does it save gas? Using a VCM?

EDIT: After reading the whole thread I see that some people actually drive an autom with both feet. This is something that I find very hard to process, It was a NO-NO in my book, but apparently I was wrong. It looks like some 'normal' people do that these days

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 11-01-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have become a Sport Mode convert. As I have posted elsewhere, highway fuel economy is the same, and city is virtually the same, although I have yet to drive the car in winter. The main issue for me is that the transmission seems to be set up for Sport and avoids the occasional clunky 2-1 downshifts I was getting in Eco or Normal. I don't generally drive any differently, but can accelerate more quickly if necessary, have a little more fun, and just enjoy the smooth shifting tranny.
finebead (11-11-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I have become a Sport Mode convert. As I have posted elsewhere, highway fuel economy is the same, and city is virtually the same, although I have yet to drive the car in winter. The main issue for me is that the transmission seems to be set up for Sport and avoids the occasional clunky 2-1 downshifts I was getting in Eco or Normal. I don't generally drive any differently, but can accelerate more quickly if necessary, have a little more fun, and just enjoy the smooth shifting tranny.
We're taking a short weekend-getaway trip this weekend - will try running sport mode!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
We're taking a short weekend-getaway trip this weekend - will try running sport mode!
How did it work out?`
Old 11-15-2016, 06:34 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
How did it work out?`
We did 300 miles (mostly highway traveling between 70 and 80) and averaged 34.1 MPG according to the trip computer. Frankly - not a real good test as highway cruising is likely identical regardless of the IDS mode. That said - it was a nice trip and reminded me of why I enjoy the car - quiet and rides great and the ELS is wonderful.
mapleloaf (11-25-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I drive in ECO mode until my car reaches operating temp. Then I change to SPORT. That's usually for less than 5 min.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rocket_pup
I drive in ECO mode until my car reaches operating temp. Then I change to SPORT. That's usually for less than 5 min.

I have come to a similar approach recently. Start in Eco to warm up and smooth out the upshifts. Then switch to normal for a few minutes, then to Sport. Drove 80 km of city driving today just a few degrees over freezing and the car behaved beautifully. I ran more errands thatn I really intended to just to enjoy the car and the tunes.