AutoWeek First Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
They might be correct about who to cater to. This is based on the 2% take rate on the 4G 6MT that the Honda guy said in the interview. Was less than half of what I had guessed.
Honda and Acura appear to target financially conservative (sensible) working-class individuals who heavily weigh practicality and reliability versus driving feel, styling, and subtlety. I would imagine that the target customer would probably like to drive an Audi or BMW (I love the BMW 5-series, but not the 3-series), but would probably find it insensible to actually own one, due to perceived unreliability and high cost of ownership.

The target customer probably would own a Lexus (I would love the GS350 F-Sport), but might find it insensible to actually pay the premium when an Acura TL SHAWD is 90% the car for 75% the money.

I think it's also safe to say that the target customer is someone who probably doesn't put much weight into the prestige of the badge (I certainly don't), but simply wants a well-executed car with a good reputation for quality and resale value. As such, the fact that most Acuras are based on either the Accord or Civic is actually a strength, instead of a weakness. In fact, I would venture that the target owner is probably somewhat low-key, and would not be comfortable flaunting their wealth by buying a flashy car.

I would also love to own a 6-speed manual, but am too practically-minded to actually buy one, since I'm stuck in 90 minutes of commute stop-and-go traffic every day.
The following 3 users liked this post by hddnav:
Buckeye_Steve (08-09-2014), dysonlu (08-05-2014), Ken1997TL (08-09-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
There's mention that Acura engineers were able to convince management NOT to go with a CVT. OMG could you imagine that? They can hardly get regular trannys right. A lot of other cars with CVTs have issues (like Maximas) Another do or die decision that Acura got right, thank God.

BTW that review was very ambiguous, didn't even seem to be written by a typical automotive journalist/enthusiast. Almost like some editor from Rolling Stones or Reader's Digest wrote it.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 08-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav
Good one! Actually, I didn't realize that the first gen TSX was a winner, haha, thanks for pointing that out.

To me, here are the Acura winners:

Legend
NSX
Integra
TL
MDX

Less appealing Acuras:
RDX
TSX
ZDX
ILX
RL
RLX
I would put the Vigor, in the appealing area. it was a unique car at the time.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Good one! Actually, I didn't realize that the first gen TSX was a winner, haha, thanks for pointing that out.

To me, here are the Acura winners:

Legend
NSX
Integra
TL
MDX

Less appealing Acuras:
RDX
TSX
ZDX
ILX
RL
RLX
LOL. Your list of appealing and less-appealing Acuras doesn't jibe with sales figures.

For example, the NSX sold all of 8,997 units in the U . S. in its 14-year run, and only 18,685 worldwide. That's not even a blip on the radar screen of any other production vehicle, so it obviously didn't appeal to many people.

Your "less-appealing" RDX is on target to sell close to 50,000 units in the U. S. this year alone, and it and the MDX are leading the sales charts for Acura.

I personally wouldn't have an "appealing" Integra, although they sold almost 795,000 of them in its 16-year run. So it was popular with a lot of people.

I've had both an RL and my current RLX, and I find both of them appealing.

So "appealing" is obviously in the eye of the beholder. :wink:

Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
My dealer called when they got them in (this past weekend). I couldn't get there until last night. They had sold the 5 they had, but Acura gave them 2 for demo purposes only at launch.

One was a 4 cyl, the othe the V6 FWD Advance. Both were fun.

Coming from my '13 SH AWD, the FWD Advance felt faster by my "buttometer". I didn't feel any hesitation, at all. My guess is 0-60 on the 6 at around low to mid 5s. Add a second to that with the 4. Maybe press cars weren't production tuned, yet?

I looks much nicer in person than the pics I've seen. Particularly nice was the CBP with the "coffee:" interior....very classy looking. Transmissions were exemplary. Both will let you hit redline....in every gear if you want.

The suspension is where you feel the upgrade from the 4G. It's as good as anything I've driven....that includes A4/S4/A6, BMW 3 (and certainly better than a 5), Mercedes CLA/C/E.

Shutting the doors gives the "thunk" Mercedes is known for. High quality materials.

Seats are the same (which is a good thing). Didn't get a chance to play with the stereo. Assume it's still as good as the ELS in the 4G.

The 4 and 6 like to be wrung out, that's for sure.

Not sure what can touch the Advance.....with lane keeping, intelligent cruise, color OSD, remote start, sunroof, V6 (which sounds/feels butter smooth) for $42K. Similar performance, build, features, would cost $10K -$15K more in a comparable Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Benz or Lexus. Acura launching with $500 in accessory credits and $1,000 payment forgiveness. I seem to remember the sales person saying there was another $500 available through Honda Credit, too.

My dealer sold out of his 1st shipment within 24 hours. 2nd shipment due mid month is sold out, too.

He said he can sell the demos, but not for another few weeks.

Really nice car.

Thanks. Sounds like a car designed for non-enthusiasts.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
There's mention that Acura engineers were able to convince management NOT to go with a CVT. OMG could you imagine that? They can hardly get regular trannys right. A lot of other cars with CVTs have issues (like Maximas) Another do or die decision that Acura got right, thank God.

BTW that review was very ambiguous, didn't even seem to be written by a typical automotive journalist/enthusiast. Almost like some editor from Rolling Stones or Reader's Digest wrote it.

I agree that it would have been a mistake to release this car with a CVT, but the CVT in the Accord has been very well-received. No big issues in the (almost) 2 years it's been out.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I agree that it would have been a mistake to release this car with a CVT, but the CVT in the Accord has been very well-received. No big issues in the (almost) 2 years it's been out.
There was some issues with judder on the CVT models but that was worked out with some warranty work.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Drifting

^^ Right. That's the extent of it to my knowledge. All that said, however, I'm still not a fan of the CVTs.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
I'd never want a CVT, sounds like a blender. Total hard on/buzz kill if you are hitting the back roads for some white knuckle driving.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Honda and Acura appear to target financially conservative (sensible) working-class individuals who heavily weigh practicality and reliability versus driving feel, styling, and subtlety. I would imagine that the target customer would probably like to drive an Audi or BMW (I love the BMW 5-series, but not the 3-series), but would probably find it insensible to actually own one, due to perceived unreliability and high cost of ownership.

The target customer probably would own a Lexus (I would love the GS350 F-Sport), but might find it insensible to actually pay the premium when an Acura TL SHAWD is 90% the car for 75% the money.

I think it's also safe to say that the target customer is someone who probably doesn't put much weight into the prestige of the badge (I certainly don't), but simply wants a well-executed car with a good reputation for quality and resale value. As such, the fact that most Acuras are based on either the Accord or Civic is actually a strength, instead of a weakness. In fact, I would venture that the target owner is probably somewhat low-key, and would not be comfortable flaunting their wealth by buying a flashy car.

I would also love to own a 6-speed manual, but am too practically-minded to actually buy one, since I'm stuck in 90 minutes of commute stop-and-go traffic every day.
Probably why I want to go for the SH-AWD as Acura's iteration is likely much better than Lexus'.

Then I get 110% value of a Lexus for 75% of the price.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by internalaudit
Probably why I want to go for the SH-AWD as Acura's iteration is likely much better than Lexus'.

Then I get 110% value of a Lexus for 75% of the price.
The Lexus IS350 F sport knocked off the BMW F30 series, that was true feat in C&D. A Type S version of the TLX would be the best match.

But we Really need the comparison test against the competition: BMW 335i,
ATS 3.6, IS350, A4 and Q50 to really see how it stacked up. The 4G didnt fair so well in the past.

The value of standard features and pricing is always a big plus for Acura, so I agree in part.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I have a '13 Accord EX-L with the CVT. I previously despised CVT's until I drove it. They did it right to be fair.

My S2000 cures me of the 'boredom' though.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hugh9269
The Lexus IS350 F sport knocked off the BMW F30 series, that was true feat in C&D. A Type S version of the TLX would be the best match.

ATS 3.6, IS350, A4 and Q50 to really see how it stacked up. The 4G didnt fair so well in the past.

The value of standard features and pricing is always a big plus for Acura, so I agree in part.

The 4G 6MT tested very well against some of those (or similar) cars in several tests, especially on objective measures. Automobile, for example, ran the S4 (not the much lesser A4) against the 4G 6MT. On the road course, they ran essentially identical lap times. R&T ran a 4 car comparo and of course (as I recall) picked the 335 and did some mild bashing of the TL. (E.g., brake size on TL too small). But then checking the stats, the TL out-braked most, if not all, of the cars. It will be interesting to see if the TLX (SHAWD) can hang with the cars you mention, especially given the absence of an MT.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I have a '13 Accord EX-L with the CVT. I previously despised CVT's until I drove it. They did it right to be fair.

Mine does too!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Racer

The 4G 6MT tested very well against some of those (or similar) cars in several tests, especially on objective measures. Automobile, for example, ran the S4 (not the much lesser A4) against the 4G 6MT. On the road course, they ran essentially identical lap times. R&T ran a 4 car comparo and of course (as I recall) picked the 335 and did some mild bashing of the TL. (E.g., brake size on TL too small). But then checking the stats, the TL out-braked most, if not all, of the cars. It will be interesting to see if the TLX (SHAWD) can hang with the cars you mention, especially given the absence of an MT.
"This is unfortunate as there was a brief period where Honda and Acura seemed to be taking braking system performance more seriously. Hopefully this will be addressed." per Temple of Vtec review.

looks like the TLX has taking a step back vs the 4G braking wise...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Drifting

"This is unfortunate as there was a brief period where Honda and Acura seemed to be taking braking system performance more seriously. Hopefully this will be addressed." per Temple of Vtec review.

looks like the TLX has taking a step back vs the 4G braking wise...

Yes, the 4G stops NOW, especially with summer tires. It would be a shame if they have gone backwards on braking performance. From the reviews of the TLX, it seems like it will be a sales winner. But it seems Acura went more "mainstream" with it compared to the 4G (skinnier tires, no HPT option (yet), etc.). When the 4G MT came out, Acura set up a comparo at a race track with the 3 series (RWD and AWD), G37, and a couple others. No track comparos for this introduction, evidently.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Kicking butt in a car and driver has to translate into sales. 3 series is outselling the IS almost 3 to 1. It's great to drive any of these vehicles.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
About the small brakes. IIRC the sidebar or a response to the letters to the editor on the brakes was it stopped very well, better than everybody else, one time. On the road course segments of the test the Acura brakes caused them to have to rest the car to cool the brakes when the others kept going.

Most likely does not matter on the street in normal driving.

Still it did well on a very set of tight courses designed for low speed handling taking away the faster cars natural advantage on a road course. C&D said they did not want the faster cars to run away with the test & were trying to create a lot of Forum fodder.

Which they did.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-08-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:07 AM
Racer

Yes, the 4G stops NOW, especially with summer tires. It would be a shame if they have gone backwards on braking performance. From the reviews of the TLX, it seems like it will be a sales winner. But it seems Acura went more "mainstream" with it compared to the 4G (skinnier tires, no HPT option (yet), etc.). When the 4G MT came out, Acura set up a comparo at a race track with the 3 series (RWD and AWD), G37, and a couple others. No track comparos for this introduction, evidently.
I totally agree. Brake specs straight from Acura:

4G TL: 12.6" Front, 13.2" Rear
TLX: 12.6" Front, 12.2" Rear

Why are the rear brakes on the TLX 1" smaller than the 4G TL? Cost cutting? Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of TLX owners start to complain about pulsating brakes due to warped rotors, which is, unfortunately, a Honda signature.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I totally agree. Brake specs straight from Acura:

4G TL: 12.6" Front, 13.2" Rear
TLX: 12.6" Front, 12.2" Rear

Why are the rear brakes on the TLX 1" smaller than the 4G TL? Cost cutting? Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of TLX owners start to complain about pulsating brakes due to warped rotors, which is, unfortunately, a Honda signature.
The TLX weighs less though. Less unsprung and rotating mass too.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Given that I have owned quite a few Acuras, and we recently traded our '12 SH-AWD for a GS Lexus, and I drive a 550 BMW, I thought for a few minutes about your comments. I think you pretty much nailed it. I think it's a shame because I loved my earlier Acuras and have also owned four Honda Accords over the years and loved them.

If Acura is happy with that model and it works for them I can't blame them. Unfortunately, their business model just doesn't work for me any more because other cars offer more interesting and exiting cars for enthusiasts like myself. At this point if I could not afford the cars I'm driving I might be comparing a new Acura to a used something else. But I still will give the new TLX a look as I'm only going by pictures and other peoples input right now.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Racer

3500-3700# is not lightweight, it is close too the competition, but it's no ballerina...

Last edited by Hugh9269; 08-09-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Skeptical about this review.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Racer

3500-3700# is not lightweight, it is close too the competition, but it's no ballerina...
To compare apples to apples:

4G TL SHAWD 6AT w/ Tech: 3982 lbs
TLX SHAWD 9AT w/ Tech: 3748 lbs.

So, we talking about a 234 lbs difference here, or a 5.8% weight reduction from the 4G. The difference does not sound like a notable weight reduction, despite being equal to about 1 person.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

The magazine should be renamed "Auto WEAK"
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

I test drove that model (Accord), and I too, found the CVT did a convincing job of simulating gears. Given all the bad press of CVTs, I was suitably impressed.

Still, I congratulate the engineers for winning one... Acura needs to be distinct from Honda.

S2000 <-- awesome. It, or any car with a good manual, will cure anything!
Old 08-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
And the brake cooling has been drastically improved according to Acura and the modulator has also been upgraded. Safe to say the test results will best determine how the brakes fare.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
So, we talking about a 234 lbs difference here, or a 5.8% weight reduction from the 4G. The difference does not sound like a notable weight reduction, despite being equal to about 1 person.
IMO, that's a lot of weight saved considering the car is also stronger (21% stiffer?) albeit a little smaller. There are other factors that influence this (gearing etc), but isn't it roughly 9 pounds saved equals one horsepower? If so, thats like getting 25 extra ponies.
JTRADAR61 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Rear brakes only carry 20-35% of forward stopping load. Any larger than necessary and they'd lock up unless the bias was highly weighted towards the front.