Acura lease question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura lease question

my 2012 TSX lease is up but my car has some damage (one of the fog lights got knocked out by road debris). The light just has to be put back in.

Do yall think the acura dealership will make me pay for it, if I am going to re-lease an acura? or should I go get it repaired on my own?

Crappy thing is that this happened 2 weeks before my lease is up .
Old 06-26-2015, 10:32 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
If it's leased through AHFC, they'll forgive you $1,500, in damages
If it's another Bank I'm not sure
Good luck!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Just incase, get it fixed by a local body shop. By what you wrote, it doesn't sound like it broke just popped out
Old 06-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Take your car to carmax. If what they offer is more than the residual/ pay off, you get yourself some equity.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:25 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Generally speaking, NEVER just turn a leased car back in. You can always trade it before the lease is up and you don't have to deal with end-of-lease inspections and all that stuff.

A lot of people still don't understand that a lease is just another way to pay for a car. At any time during the lease you can trade or sell the car ... just like with any other kind of financing, you have a payoff, and all you have to do is take care of that. If your car isn't worth as much as the payoff, you can either write a check for the difference or plow it into the next car you get.

I went through the end-of-lease thing once (before I knew better), and although I passed without having to pay anything, it was too much like an anal exam. If I really loved my car, I might even keep it until the last week or two of the lease and THEN trade it. But I wouldn't just turn it in unless it was worth so little that it wasn't even going to be useful as a trade.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Generally speaking, NEVER just turn a leased car back in. You can always trade it before the lease is up and you don't have to deal with end-of-lease inspections and all that stuff.

I've lease my vehicles for many years, and Mike's comments above speak the truth. I always traded in my cars just before the lease ends. I've always had equity and never had to jack with over mileage limits or vehicle inspections. On my Acura CL, I sold it outright, and ended up with $2000 in my pocket after paying the lease company off.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Linmk2

I've lease my vehicles for many years, and Mike's comments above speak the truth. I always traded in my cars just before the lease ends. I've always had equity and never had to jack with over mileage limits or vehicle inspections. On my Acura CL, I sold it outright, and ended up with $2000 in my pocket after paying the lease company off.
Did your CL have really low miles, and that helped you end up with $2000 in your pocket?

I'm looking to lease a TLX, but I'll put approx. 18K/mi a year on it....so the value of the car will prob be less than the payoff. I suppose the best option in that scenario is to just lease another acura with mileage forgiveness\lease loyalty program.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the dealership didn't want to take it in as a trade-in and car max was only giving 16K. Im surprised the TSX didn't hold its value. I was only at 27K in miles. for it and my payoff amount was 19K. So, I ended up getting some of the stuff fixed and hope the inspection goes well (fingers crossed).

So generally when do you guys go in to get a new lease? few months before the end or after your last payment on the car?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Frack, my CL was a low mileage car. It looked new. No one had ever sat in the back seat, and maybe only about 4 or 5 people had ever sat in the front passenger set. I don't eat or drink in my cars. I advertised it, and no one called, except the last day of the ad was supposed to run. The lady came and looked at the car. She did not even want to drive it! She said she would get back with me. I thought that was it, but her credit union called two days later and wanted me to bring the CL to their office for an inspection. Done deal! No haggling, just $2000, more than my payoff. It was just luck. I'm sure it would not happen again.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
How many of you would actually trust CarMax to handle the payoff of the lease? My experience is they won't hand you a check unless you have clear title to the vehicle and will insist on handling the payoff themselves. Are they reliable and trustworthy in this regard?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by neel1109
So the dealership didn't want to take it in as a trade-in and car max was only giving 16K. Im surprised the TSX didn't hold its value. I was only at 27K in miles. for it and my payoff amount was 19K. So, I ended up getting some of the stuff fixed and hope the inspection goes well (fingers crossed).

So generally when do you guys go in to get a new lease? few months before the end or after your last payment on the car?
It's been discontinued and the electronics are pretty dated in comparison to what is out there today so sadly, I am not surprised. But it is still a sought after vehicle, though, and my dealership continues to ask me to trade it in when I get service.

Originally Posted by n-spring
How many of you would actually trust CarMax to handle the payoff of the lease? My experience is they won't hand you a check unless you have clear title to the vehicle and will insist on handling the payoff themselves. Are they reliable and trustworthy in this regard?
I see your point but they wouldn't be able to stay in business if they didn't follow through; they are entirely dependent on owning the car so that they can sell it and make a profit.