2015 Acura TLX Jewel Eye Projector light output

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuan Ha
So imo, the sweet spot for lighting are HIDS or just one step below it which are projected halogens.
Call them what you want, but halogens are halogens, and they put out no light when compared to HIDs/LEDs. HIDs are typically projector based, and LEDs are focused as well, but just put out greater light output.

The lighting on my TLX & MDX are upgrades in every sense of the word compared to the HID projectors in my TSX, RDX, 5 series, TL, etc. My Audi has adaptive lenses that swivel around corners, but Id give that up in a heartbeat to get this kind if output from those lamps.

With the new BMWs and Mercedes,etc, I have been very impressed with how little glare they produce with their setups, even when you are staring right at them while sitting in your car.

crouch down, and look up at them however and
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (01-15-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
I am perfectly fine with my TLX lighting in normal highway driving. Driving in my rural neighborhood with minimal streetlighting and no sidewalks or curbs, I do miss the swiveling lights that my 2010 RL had!!!

The TLX LEDs are bright enough that I occasionally get oncoming traffic flashing me thinking I've got my high beams on.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Call them what you want, but halogens are halogens, and they put out no light when compared to HIDs/LEDs. HIDs are typically projector based, and LEDs are focused as well, but just put out greater light output.

The lighting on my TLX & MDX are upgrades in every sense of the word compared to the HID projectors in my TSX, RDX, 5 series, TL, etc. My Audi has adaptive lenses that swivel around corners, but Id give that up in a heartbeat to get this kind if output from those lamps.

With the new BMWs and Mercedes,etc, I have been very impressed with how little glare they produce with their setups, even when you are staring right at them while sitting in your car.

crouch down, and look up at them however and
I would like to start this post by saying how much I hate TLX headlights. Simply because they are BLINDING to on coming traffic. I seriously thought some dude has his highbeams on but it was a TLX lol. fkn a. Its not cool at all. Dangerous and annoying if you ask me.

ugh. How many times do I have to clarify? Im running halogens with PROJECTORS. Yes, halogens by itself is weaksauce but the projectors makes a huge difference. Is this witchcraft to some of you guys? Yes, some cars nowadays come with halogen projectors lol.

Either go with HIDS or go projected halogens. LEDS suck. They are either too damn bright or just too weak as lowbeams on cars

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 01-13-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

ugh. How many times do I have to clarify? Im running halogens with PROJECTORS. Yes, halogens by itself is weaksauce but the projectors makes a huge difference. Is this witchcraft to some of you guys? Yes, some cars nowadays come with halogen projectors lol.

Either go with HIDS or go projected halogens. LEDS suck. They are either too damn bright or just too weak as lowbeams on cars
No need to clarify; halogen's in projectors are nothing new, most base model BMW's, Audis, etc come with them, and have been equipped with them since before you probably even got your license. They were a big upgrade prior to HIDs, but HIDs vs halogens is like comparing fuel injection to carbs.

I'd take reflector based HIDs like on the 2nd gen TL any day of the week over projector based halogens.

LEDS / Projector HIDS > reflector HIDs >..................your "projected" halogens .................................................. ...........>reflector based halogens.......................................... .........>sealed beam headlights........................................ .................................................. .................................................. ......................>candle sticks.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190

here is a pic of TL projectors with genuine zkw lens and philips 85122+ bulbs.
I realize testing conditions are different, but a trained eye should be able to tell how it'll look either way:

I believe no matter how good the trained eye is, you need the same conditions for the comparison to be valid.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Banned

No need to clarify; halogen's in projectors are nothing new, most base model BMW's, Audis, etc come with them, and have been equipped with them since before you probably even got your license. They were a big upgrade prior to HIDs, but HIDs vs halogens is like comparing fuel injection to carbs.

I'd take reflector based HIDs like on the 2nd gen TL any day of the week over projector based halogens.

LEDS / Projector HIDS > reflector HIDs >..................your "projected" halogens .................................................. ...........>reflector based halogens.......................................... .........>sealed beam headlights........................................ .................................................. .................................................. ......................>candle sticks.
LOL. reflector hids????? You can't use HIDS without a projector. I mean you can but youll get pulled right the fk over 25 feet away from your house. I agree with LEDS being on top but they are not good on the road as it is TOO BRIGHT for traffic. Its blinding people and if I were to report it to the NHTSA, those precious Jewel Eyes will be recalled. People have reported being pulled over for mistakenly having their high beams on with the TLX. THe reason why many more are not getting pulled over is because its a high end car and cops dont wanna make em look bad.

I love my projector halogens. Its not blinding to people, gives fairly good lighting, and it looks extrremely clean. Im going to upgrade to a better H11 bulb.

The lower the color temperature, the better. RED is the ideal color for nighttime as it doesn't cause any strain on the eye. Its why digital alarms use the color red. But, 4300k is the best and because the lower the color, the less you can see. All these car manufacturers coming out with these bright ass LEDS are forgetting that one basic principle.

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 01-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
LOL. reflector hids????? You can't use HIDS without a projector. I mean you can but youll get pulled right the fk over 25 feet away from your house. I agree with LEDS being on top but they are not good on the road as it is TOO BRIGHT for traffic. Its blinding people and if I were to report it to the NHTSA, those precious Jewel Eyes will be recalled. People have reported being pulled over for mistakenly having their high beams on with the TLX. THe reason why many more are not getting pulled over is because its a high end car and cops dont wanna make em look bad.

I love my projector halogens. Its not blinding to people, gives fairly good lighting, and it looks extrremely clean. Im going to upgrade to a better H11 bulb.

The lower the color temperature, the better. RED is the ideal color for nighttime as it doesn't cause any strain on the eye. Its why digital alarms use the color red. But, 4300k is the best and because the lower the color, the less you can see. All these car manufacturers coming out with these bright ass LEDS are forgetting that one basic principle.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Please pass what you are smoking!

Multiple brands had reflector HID's in late 90's early 2000's including the acura TL in 2002 & 2003.

Projectors focus light, if they are aimed improperly that's the fault of the installation. Cutoff should be pointing at the ground after 200 ft.

4300K used to be the best color because it was thought that was the most lumens you could achieve from the Xenon gas. With newer mixtures, it's possible to achieve more lumens and more intense color. The tint on cheap bulbs is what causes the lumen loss.

No car has been recalled for blinding headlamps. 2004 & 2005 TL use different projectors than 2006+ due to complaints of blinding traffic. Stanley made a really good projector but with a cutoff that was a tad too fuzzy. No TL was ever recalled.

I have yet to hear of a TLX owner getting pulled over for their headlamps.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
LOL. reflector hids????? You can't use HIDS without a projector. I mean you can but youll get pulled right the fk over 25 feet away from your house.
Nissan Rogue and Subaru Forester Touring come to mind.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by csmeance

Multiple brands had reflector HID's in late 90's early 2000's including the acura TL in 2002 & 2003.

You are referring to cars that were made in the late 90's brah?? ITS 2016 LOL. The technology of those cars are fkn irrelevant dude. Cars get recalled and change out parts all of the time even on newer models. You know whats funny? I did not know the 03' TLs used the HID reflectors. Ive always wondered why the fk they looked so damn bright and cloudy. Now I know lol.

Projectors focus light, if they are aimed improperly that's the fault of the installation. Cutoff should be pointing at the ground after 200 ft.

Yes, I know projectors focus light which is why it was genius to put it on halogens lol.

4300K used to be the best color because it was thought that was the most lumens you could achieve from the Xenon gas. With newer mixtures, it's possible to achieve more lumens and more intense color. The tint on cheap bulbs is what causes the lumen loss.

4300k was chosen because of the COLOR. Not because they thought it gave out more lumens. Color temperature and Lumen output are independent from each other.

No car has been recalled for blinding headlamps. 2004 & 2005 TL use different projectors than 2006+ due to complaints of blinding traffic. Stanley made a really good projector but with a cutoff that was a tad too fuzzy. No TL was ever recalled.

Thats my whole point. Cars are always changing technology and susceptable to recalls. These Jewel Eyes are on the borderline of getting recalled.

I have yet to hear of a TLX owner getting pulled over for their headlamps.

Like I said, the TLX/MDX is a high end car. They are not going to get pulled over as much by officers. That does not mean the Jewel Eye is not blinding. I believe they are the brightest lights on the road as we speak but I yet to see laser lights and those are illegal in USA.
uyfufyuyfuygiu

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 01-15-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts

Another expert rises from the ashes
Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stew4HD

Another expert rises from the ashes
you said it, not me
Old 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

My 2006 G35 had Reflector HID. Also HID's & LEDS are not blinding if they are OEM and aimed properly. Any headlight is blinding if it's not aimed right. Even halogens. Aftermarket garbage reflector HID put in a NON HID Reflector housing yes they blind. My wifes Daily Driver is a Hyundai and it has projector halogens and they SUCK , especially when it rains you can't see anything.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kense
My 2006 G35 had Reflector HID. Also HID's & LEDS are not blinding if they are OEM and aimed properly. Any headlight is blinding if it's not aimed right. Even halogens. Aftermarket garbage reflector HID put in a NON HID Reflector housing yes they blind. My wifes Daily Driver is a Hyundai and it has projector halogens and they SUCK , especially when it rains you can't see anything.
I agree with you. A lot of the aim is off.
Brah, my Lexus has HID's and I still can't see shit in rain. The hids on this car is almost 6x brighter than my projected halogens.

The projected halogens on your wifes hyundai may be different in terms of lens quality and how defect free the polycarbonate covers are. My headlights arnt as bright as hids but they are very far from sucking monkey butts.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Anyone else notice on their TLX the light angles are ALL different for all 6 lights. Like if Im pointed at a wall it looks like a staircase because they are all 6 pointed at different angles, you would think it would be 3 and 3 the height angles they are pointed but they are all going separate heights
Old 01-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I have extremely good eyesight and can make out the brand of car miles down the road.
Of course you can Based on this gross exaggeration how much else that is posted has no connection to reality?
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (01-16-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Am I the only one who find it ironic that he's putting down reflector HIDs as old technology while touting how great projector halogens are???

Back to HID planet for you...The irony is strong with this one. Lol
Old 01-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Banned

Am I the only one who find it ironic that he's putting down reflector HIDs as old technology while touting how great projector halogens are???

Back to HID planet for you...The irony is strong with this one. Lol
LOL Projector Halogens for LYFE son! Jk. Im going to upgrade to oem HIDs soon.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spoiler900
Anyone else notice on their TLX the light angles are ALL different for all 6 lights. Like if Im pointed at a wall it looks like a staircase because they are all 6 pointed at different angles, you would think it would be 3 and 3 the height angles they are pointed but they are all going separate heights
Das becus they do all point in different angles dood.

2015 Acura TLX Jewel Eye Projector light output-spmvooq.png
Old 01-16-2016, 12:54 AM
Banned

Btw, check out these sick ass cutoff lines with my halogens lol! I just installed these bulbs and they are brighter than the Jewel eyes if you look at em directly and indirectly. The casted light is a different story though. Im going to put back the stock h11 bulbs though because unlike Tlx and MDx drivers, I care about others. :P It was fun while it lasted

2015 Acura TLX Jewel Eye Projector light output-mxqsaep.jpg

Last edited by Tuan Ha; 01-16-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Das becus they do all point in different angles dood.

What i was reffering to it does not look evel right to left, that one side is completely lower than the other, like the photo above the headlights are not even side to side one side shines completely lower on the average of the 3 than the other side