Wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Wheel spacers

Where can I buy 5mm wheel spacers for my 2010 TL? Does'nt seem to be much out there. Don't want to go any wider, want to keep it simple.
Just don't think the 18" Tech Wheels are far enough out.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Call 909-514-0091 and talk to Steve at Motorsport Technology he can get you any size spacer you need. Here's a link to the company...Happy Hunting!!!!!
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_adapters.html

Last edited by FYAH TL; 11-26-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:35 PM
The Sicilian

Thanks much. I appreciate the lead. Have a great weekend brother.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll piggyback my question here. Is it safe to use the original studs with 5mm spacers or do we need some new studs?

If so, we would have to bolt on the spacer. Saw off the studs, and then insert the new ones on the spacer, correct?

How often do you need to check it? As often as a tire rotation?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not use factory length studs with a 5mm spacer. Maybe 3mm spacer but no more.
Are these spacer/adapters or just spacers? Shouldnt need to saw off anything. yikes.
Whats your wheel et now?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

@FYAH
Your wheels are et 37 front 32 rear?

Do you use a 3mm spacer at all?

Thinking of putting on et 40's and looking at 5mm spacers for rear and 3mm up front.

What do you think? Since I know you are the 4g guru.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^I was trying to stay out of this discussion because I have posted my opinion about spacers in two other threads on the subject. However, due to the incredibly large ego that I stuff under this hat I cannot resist.
Spacers are for "show only". If you want your wheels to fill up the wheel-well, buy yourself some new wheels with a different offset (lower number). I could go on and on about the handling characteristics and safety issues. SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy some cooler wheels instead.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 12-02-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by My4GTL
@FYAH
Your wheels are et 37 front 32 rear?

Do you use a 3mm spacer at all?

Thinking of putting on et 40's and looking at 5mm spacers for rear and 3mm up front.

What do you think? Since I know you are the 4g guru.

Thanks.
No, i don't have spacers on my car. The offset was custom built by Work Wheels. My offset worked out great and my wheels are flush with the fenders with no rubbing. Am working on getting a big brake kit and doing the measurements i may need some spacers to clear the big brakes so am currently on pause...
They are love and hate stories about spacers. People with AWD Porsche that cost 100k plus and BMW's such as M5,M3,335 etc. use spacers, love them and have no problem. Others used spacers and get vibration at high speeds/ poor handling etc. and hate spacers.
My take is if you're going to try using spacers, don't get the cheap $5.00 ones get some custom made hubcentric and wheel centric spacers and see if that works for what you're trying to accomplished.
Worst case senario if you don't like the ride after adding spacers then simply remove them. Give it a try and let us all know if it work or not for you. Just my.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM
The Sicilian

^^^^
I agree with you Mr. Marco, but I am talking about spacers not adapters. I would never use wheel adapters for your exact reasons and that is why I would only go with a 3mm - 5mm spacer and make sure to use the oem studs as long as you have 8 or more turns on the lug nuts.
If this is not the case than I would not use spacers at all or go buy new wheels like you said.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by cabanalane
I'll piggyback my question here. Is it safe to use the original studs with 5mm spacers or do we need some new studs?

If so, we would have to bolt on the spacer. Saw off the studs, and then insert the new ones on the spacer, correct?

How often do you need to check it? As often as a tire rotation?
Do NOT saw anything. You need to press out the factory studs and install the new studs that come with the spacers.
As I mentioned earlier as long as you have 8 or more turns on the oem lug nuts you should be fine. That is what will determine if you can go with 3mm or 5mm spacers. Do not use wheel adapters - too dangerous!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by FYAH TL
They are love and hate stories about spacers. People with AWD Porsche that cost 100k plus and BMW's such as M5,M3,335 etc. use spacers, love them and have no problem. Others used spacers and get vibration at high speeds/ poor handling etc. and hate spacers.
My take is if you're going to try using spacers, don't get the cheap $5.00 ones get some custom made hubcentric and wheel centric spacers and see if that works for what you're trying to accomplished.
Worst case senario if you don't like the ride after adding spacers then simply remove them. Give it a try and let us all know if it work or not for you. Just my.
Totally agree. You can not buy cheap spacers. I have 5mm ICHIBA spacers on my maxima and have never had issues.
Other brand name spacers are H & R, and Eibach.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
Do NOT saw anything. You need to press out the factory studs and install the new studs that come with the spacers.
As I mentioned earlier as long as you have 8 or more turns on the oem lug nuts you should be fine. That is what will determine if you can go with 3mm or 5mm spacers. Do not use wheel adapters - too dangerous!
Agree....no saw
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

I am totally aware of the risks of spacers and adapters. I ran 1" thick adapters on a mini truck with Porsche alloys in the 80's for 8 years daily driven with no issues. I was a kid then and the added bending moments placed on the suspension components was not obvious to me.
I study metal fractures all day long for a living. Knowing what I know now, I would never use any adapter ever again. Also I wouldnt think of using a spacer over 5mm and like FYAH said must be hubcentric. Quality studs a must too.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by My4GTL
I am totally aware of the risks of spacers and adapters. I ran 1" thick adapters on a mini truck with Porsche alloys in the 80's for 8 years daily driven with no issues. I was a kid then and the added bending moments placed on the suspension components was not obvious to me.
I study metal fractures all day long for a living. Knowing what I know now, I would never use any adapter ever again. Also I wouldnt think of using a spacer over 5mm and like FYAH said must be hubcentric. Quality studs a must too.
Ya a lot of us did stupid things like that when we were kids. I put air shocks and front steel spring spacers in the front of my old Mustang.
Talk about a stiff ride and those front spacers popping out of the front springs like bullets.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
^^^^
I agree with you Mr. Marco, but I am talking about spacers not adapters. I would never use wheel adapters for your exact reasons and that is why I would only go with a 3mm - 5mm spacer and make sure to use the oem studs as long as you have 8 or more turns on the lug nuts.
If this is not the case than I would not use spacers at all or go buy new wheels like you said.
Now that I think about it the horror stories I've heard were from adapters.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Hee hee. I remember those squeaking "bullets" very well. Always had to carry a ratchet and extension in case they slid around to one side. lol
My airshocks would surprise me now and then. When they held air for more than 3 days in a 65 stang. goodtimes. Very nice 66 btw.
So have you found your spacers? It would be interesing to compare. I havent pulled a wheel off my car to measure the existing hub center width yet. New wheels arriving this week.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

@cabanalane
Now I understand what you mean about sawing off studs. The v2's are more plug n play. And will probably need stud sawing. Maybe if the pockets between stud holes on the back of wheel are deep enough, you may not have to. I would prefer the v1's where you have to press out the original studs. The v2 is too much just like an adapter. I wouldnt use those unless you are single without kids and dont speed.
I apologize for my dont saw yikes comment.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
The Sicilian

At this point I just put the Winter snows on the car, so I'll wait till spring to see about getting spacers. I think by then I'll find something.
What I find is that there are not a lot of aftermarket or mod parts available for the 4G TL. I don't know why companies are not offering more? What are they waiting for. The cars already been out a couple of years now.