Vibration after lowering and new wheels

Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Vibration after lowering and new wheels

So frustrated...so lowered my car yesterday on Tein S-Tech springs and got my new wheels on. Drove around for a bit and everything seemed fine till I got on the highway and got to around 60mph..then the vibration started. I initially thought maybe the tire shop hadn't done a very good balancing so this morning I took it to another shop to have re-balanced. Drove off and everything seemed fine for a bit until again I got on the highway and the vibrations returned.

Lugs are tight and everything looks right. (checked to make sure I didn't leave a bolt or nut loose from lowering it)

So tomorrow I am putting the stock wheels back on and seeing if the vibration is still there...if so, then it should be something with the car and not the new wheels right?

The vibration is very strong on steering wheel and I can kind of feel it on the brake pedal when I brake. Could it be the rotors? I did use a pry bar when taking out the shock. Could I have bent one?

Idk. Not really sure what else to look for. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

-c
Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Test out the OEM wheels first and see, if not. Check your rotors and pads. Also, have you done an alignment yet? Your car may be unaligned so that could solve your issue.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
get an alignment, make sure toe is 0

if that doesn't help, get road-force balancing done on each wheel. I believe Hunter is the manufacturer of the machine, go on their website and find a local shop that has one.

enjoy!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
Test out the OEM wheels first and see, if not. Check your rotors and pads. Also, have you done an alignment yet? Your car may be unaligned so that could solve your issue.
No alignment done yet. Honestly, never have done one in any of my cars after lowering them. Could alignment really make it vibrate like it is? Sorry, noob here.

Either way. Going to try the stocks and see what's up.

Originally Posted by lift3d_
get an alignment, make sure toe is 0

if that doesn't help, get road-force balancing done on each wheel. I believe Hunter is the manufacturer of the machine, go on their website and find a local shop that has one.

enjoy!
read your message after posting...but ok. Will look into the alignment right away.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TLCEEZ
So frustrated...so lowered my car yesterday on Tein S-Tech springs and got my new wheels on. Drove around for a bit and everything seemed fine till I got on the highway and got to around 60mph..then the vibration started. I initially thought maybe the tire shop hadn't done a very good balancing so this morning I took it to another shop to have re-balanced. Drove off and everything seemed fine for a bit until again I got on the highway and the vibrations returned.

Lugs are tight and everything looks right. (checked to make sure I didn't leave a bolt or nut loose from lowering it)

So tomorrow I am putting the stock wheels back on and seeing if the vibration is still there...if so, then it should be something with the car and not the new wheels right?

The vibration is very strong on steering wheel and I can kind of feel it on the brake pedal when I brake. Could it be the rotors? I did use a pry bar when taking out the shock. Could I have bent one?

Idk. Not really sure what else to look for. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

-c
Did the new after market wheels have the same hub diameter as factory? If not, was a hub centric ring installed?

Most vibrations are cause by the following after wheel swaps from my experience.
1: hub ring needed but not installed.
2: bent wheels
3: out of round tires
4: bad wheel balance
Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced

So went ahead and put my stocks back on and voila...no more vibration. Glad it wasn't anything with the car but now to pin point my problem with the wheels setup.

HenryNYC - The wheels did come with the centric rings and they were installed. The wheels have been balanced twice and no luck. (really doubt two places would get it so wrong). So I'm leaning towards tires. At least I hope that's the issue because if it's the wheels then I am screwed. Wheels were brand new so I wouldn't think they came messed up from the factory. I could be wrong though I guess but I hope not.

How could I tell if the tires are out of round?

Current tire setup is 225/35/20 on 9 inch rim for the fronts and 255/30/20 on 10.5 inch rim for the rears. The rears are really stretched. My thought is getting a bit wider and taller tire for the rears. I don't rub right now but I think by rolling my fenders I should be able to fit a 275/35/20 on the rear. It will be a bit more meaty and less of a stretch.

Idk...I guess little by little.

Sucks that if it's the wheel I don't think I could get it returned. I mean, they say you can't return after mounted but then how else would you be able to know? I don't know...just random thoughts at the moment lol
Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
dude, road force balancing! it's different than regular balancing...
The following users liked this post:
sonny@tirerack (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Maybe this will help:

Vibration Diagnosis
Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So went ahead and put my stocks back on and voila...no more vibration. Glad it wasn't anything with the car but now to pin point my problem with the wheels setup.

HenryNYC - The wheels did come with the centric rings and they were installed. The wheels have been balanced twice and no luck. (really doubt two places would get it so wrong). So I'm leaning towards tires. At least I hope that's the issue because if it's the wheels then I am screwed. Wheels were brand new so I wouldn't think they came messed up from the factory. I could be wrong though I guess but I hope not.

Current tire setup is 225/35/20 on 9 inch rim for the fronts and 255/30/20 on 10.5 inch rim for the rears. The rears are really stretched. My thought is getting a bit wider and taller tire for the rears. I don't rub right now but I think by rolling my fenders I should be able to fit a 275/35/20 on the rear. It will be a bit more meaty and less of a stretch.

Sucks that if it's the wheel I don't think I could get it returned. I mean, they say you can't return after mounted but then how else would you be able to know? I don't know...just random thoughts at the moment lol

Question a little off topic but did you need to install camber kits to make it fit. I'm on the fence with the s techs and just trying to get an idea of all the extra work that may come into play with a similar set up
Old 09-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on your new info. I would probably lean towards tires. Could be out of round. Happened to me before when buying new tires. If you can't get them replaced, road force balance is the only way to go to get them balanced as best as they can get.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced

So I'll just copy what I said on another thread...

Cause? Stupid a$$ tire shop I went to get my wheels mounted at first. Basically he was having such a hard time and couldn't do it. Had to go to a second place. But the damage had been done. Apparently he tried to use this gooie stuff to make the tire slide onto the wheel. Well, he put in so much on there that there was literally a big ball of goo on my rear tire Of course...this was not seen until I bought my second set of tires and that's how I found out about this.

No balancing was ever going to take care of it. It was frustrating but you live and you learn.

Sorry for the late response. been extremely busy with work stuff..end of month is no fun for me.

Originally Posted by rahawk79
Question a little off topic but did you need to install camber kits to make it fit. I'm on the fence with the s techs and just trying to get an idea of all the extra work that may come into play with a similar set up
Absolutely nothing else needed on mine. I even changed my rear tires to a bigger 255/35 and I think it's rubbed twice, barely! I don't even have rolled fenders.

Last edited by TLCEEZ; 10-02-2014 at 11:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLCEEZ:
PerilousSkies (02-15-2015), Vossen Wheels (04-26-2018)
Old 10-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

So I'll just copy what I said on another thread...

Cause? Stupid a$$ tire shop I went to get my wheels mounted at first. Basically he was having such a hard time and couldn't do it. Had to go to a second place. But the damage had been done. Apparently he tried to use this gooie stuff to make the tire slide onto the wheel. Well, he put in so much on there that there was literally a big ball of goo on my rear tire Of course...this was not seen until I bought my second set of tires and that's how I found out about this.

No balancing was ever going to take care of it. It was frustrating but you live and you learn.

Sorry for the late response. been extremely busy with work stuff..end of month is no fun for me.

Absolutely nothing else needed on mine. I even changed my rear tires to a bigger 255/35 and I think it's rubbed twice, barely! I don't even have rolled fenders.

My god I want those wheels...
Vossen Wheels (04-26-2018)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 PM
6th Gear

I am having the same issue after installing my new wheels and tires. I'm currently wearing 20x8.5 +35, 255/35/20. This thread will be helpful while trying to figure my issue out. I was thinking I would need to tighten my coils (Tein SA).
Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mellow
I am having the same issue after installing my new wheels and tires. I'm currently wearing 20x8.5 +35, 255/35/20. This thread will be helpful while trying to figure my issue out. I was thinking I would need to tighten my coils (Tein SA).
Yeah not sure if I can help you with coils as I'm just running springs. As for the tire size, sounds to me like that should be no issue on a 8.5 inch rim.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced

My god I want those wheels...
Do it! $3000 with brand new tires shipped

Vossen Wheels (04-26-2018), wilby07 (10-10-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

$3k...

I'll sit on my thumb. I have to pay off tuition first. LOL.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced

$3k...

I'll sit on my thumb. I have to pay off tuition first. LOL.
Lol smart man
andrewcjduong (10-10-2014), csmeance (10-09-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks AWESOME!! For a moment I thought I was looking at mines. Great set up. Smooth looking drop. You did it right for sure..
TLCEEZ (02-25-2015)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
Nice car
TLCEEZ (02-25-2015)
Old 10-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
I just replaced a set of 4 vredestein ultra sessantas with Conti DWS's, and my tire guy mentioned that certain tires on the TL tend to have vibration issues.

There are plenty of potential causes to a vibration problem, but if you've eliminated everything but the tire its worth exploring.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Does your tire guy know which tires will have vibration issues on the TL, so that we can all stay clear from buying those tire brands/models ?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
He already fixed the vibration. But I'm curious to know what brands and models cause vibration as well.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

How does it ride with the lowered springs...I'm debating between springs and coils. Like everyone else, I just want the drop - not the harsh ride.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

First time i see a tl that looks great without a rear spoiler. those wheels make it look just right.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTL12:
TLCEEZ (02-25-2015), Vossen Wheels (04-26-2018)
Old 02-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,987 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Originally Posted by Booya4139
I just replaced a set of 4 vredestein ultra sessantas with Conti DWS's, and my tire guy mentioned that certain tires on the TL tend to have vibration issues.

There are plenty of potential causes to a vibration problem, but if you've eliminated everything but the tire its worth exploring.
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Does your tire guy know which tires will have vibration issues on the TL, so that we can all stay clear from buying those tire brands/models ?
The TL is sensitive to balancing due to the nature of the suspension design. The tire guy at your shop is stupid, the problem is not with the tires but the INSTALLATION!!!!

Continental DW and DWS tires need to be high pressure mounted. I ran though this saga on my 760 with the DW tires.

Tires are inflated to around 70+ PSI to mount them and to make sure the bead seals properly. Most shops use around 50PSI max to mount and the bead will not seal properly.

I had to have my rear wheels redone 3x before they figured it out at the tire shop. This is when the DW and DWS were brand new tires! After that, continental supposedly sent out a product information update to let installers know about this!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PerilousSkies
How does it ride with the lowered springs...I'm debating between springs and coils. Like everyone else, I just want the drop - not the harsh ride.
Sorry for super late reply but springs do it right for me. Basically feel same as stock, if anything, if at times it feels harsh it's because of my wheels. Colorado roads suck too.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! I have the same problem with my Vossen's I bought gently used on a show car from a local Acura dealership. Getting them powder coated now and found that one of the wheels were bent. Never going back to that dealership again...
Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Supersammanyo
Glad you got it fixed! I have the same problem with my Vossen's I bought gently used on a show car from a local Acura dealership. Getting them powder coated now and found that one of the wheels were bent. Never going back to that dealership again...
sorry to hear. At least you were already thinking of powder coating them so you can get it repaired and then powder.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
TLCEEZ, I see you live in Colorado. Have you been to 3zero3 motorsports, or Colorado wheel warehouse? Looking to buy my wheels and coils from one of those places. I live in Colorado springs and places around here seem pretty shabby about there selection and work?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chrissalvatore
TLCEEZ, I see you live in Colorado. Have you been to 3zero3 motorsports, or Colorado wheel warehouse? Looking to buy my wheels and coils from one of those places. I live in Colorado springs and places around here seem pretty shabby about there selection and work?
I have not checked any of those out. I bought my wheels from zygoteautosport.com guys name is Pete. Good prices and service. As for actually performing the job, I lowered it myself and just had tires mounted at Discount tire. I haven't done much other than wheels so never really needed the services of a shop.

I think you can get coils from Pete too just not sure about price since I haven't purchased any.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TLCEEZ, what kind of wheels are those?
Vossen Wheels (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by chmccaff12
TLCEEZ, what kind of wheels are those?