Unusual Tread Wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unusual Tread Wear

My wife drives a 2014 TL SE that came with original Michelin MXM4's on 18" wheels when we purchased the car from Acura with 10,000 miles. We had to replace the right front tire at about 18,000 miles due to a nail near the edge of the side wall. I have been pretty good with rotations and balancing regularly. I don't drive the car so when one of my kids said the car is making an unusual sound it surprised me, my wife doesn't put a lot of miles on the car. I took the car in to the local Honda dealer for inspection and I was surprised when they told me that it passed but that the left side tires were between 2 and 3 32's and the right side were at 6 and 7 32's. The dealer attributed the noise to the uneven tire wear. There is no pull or steer at all when driving. I had the alignment checked and it was within spec. Given the price of these tires I am really disappointed in the wear at 34,000 miles. One shop suggested that they may have been improperly rotated at one point. In addition to the frustration of having to drop $1k on new tires I am wondering if something else is going on with the steering or suspension that is causing this left-side-only wear. Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Post the alignment spec
Old 09-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by TL4GX2
My wife drives a 2014 TL SE that came with original Michelin MXM4's on 18" wheels when we purchased the car from Acura with 10,000 miles. We had to replace the right front tire at about 18,000 miles due to a nail near the edge of the side wall. I have been pretty good with rotations and balancing regularly. I don't drive the car so when one of my kids said the car is making an unusual sound it surprised me, my wife doesn't put a lot of miles on the car. I took the car in to the local Honda dealer for inspection and I was surprised when they told me that it passed but that the left side tires were between 2 and 3 32's and the right side were at 6 and 7 32's. The dealer attributed the noise to the uneven tire wear. There is no pull or steer at all when driving. I had the alignment checked and it was within spec. Given the price of these tires I am really disappointed in the wear at 34,000 miles. One shop suggested that they may have been improperly rotated at one point. In addition to the frustration of having to drop $1k on new tires I am wondering if something else is going on with the steering or suspension that is causing this left-side-only wear. Any thoughts?
Keep in mind the cost of a tire has absolutely nothing to do with how many miles a tire will last. Think about it this way, some of the most expensive tires will be lucky to see the far side of 15,000 miles while some moderately priced tires will easily last several times that.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:14 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, I'd have to hear the sound, but:

~40,000 miles out of a set of "performance"-ey tires like the TL ships with is actually pretty ok. Putting that one new tire on at 18k probably introduced some weirdness. Finally, in a front wheel drive car the drive wheels are going to wear faster. If the person who owned the car previously didn't have rotations done, two of your tires are going to be worn quite a bit more than the other two.

Sounds to me like you're ready to get a new set of four tires, get an alignment done and triple-checked, and go from there. When you replace tires, replace them in pairs.

A harder rubber will last longer, but will harsh up the ride a tad. Might improve mileage though. But if you drive aggressively you'll hate them because they won't grip as well in corners. They may or may not improve road noise.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The Michelin MXM4 has a treadwear warranty of 30K miles. A 2nd set of them were on my 4G when I purchased it at 58K miles and they were definitely worn unevenly (from tire to tire). If I remember correctly, it was something like 4, and 7 on the front and 3 and 6 on the back (32nd's). The dealer was the one who measured them when I went in for the torque converter software update and Takata airbag recall - 2 days after I purchased the car. Apparently those tires wear a bit funny. And aren't really high on the treadwear rating. My Continental DWS06's have lasted nearly 405 miles and I've beat the turd out of them.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by dv-
A harder rubber will last longer, but will harsh up the ride a tad. Might improve mileage though. But if you drive aggressively you'll hate them because they won't grip as well in corners. They may or may not improve road noise.
The good news is modern tire compounds are so advanced you don't need a hard rubber tire in order for the tire to last a long time. I recently swapped out a set of BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S tires with a low(ish) UTQG rating of 400 AA A with a set of Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS tires with a high UTQC rating of 700 A A; the Pirellis definitely ride softer and smoother, by a very large margin, compared to the BFGoodrichs.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Helpful

Thanks for the replies. I have never had that significant a level of uneven wear before and thought it was strange that it was only on one side. I appreciate everyone’s feedback and suggestions. I will be getting a new set of tires but wondered if there was something else at play. This forum is great and really helpful!